Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Anyone ever hear of a bent crank/motor spindle?

On my 3rd set of alloy Praxis cranks (warranty… they’ve been great about it) and just realized the this newest set of crank arms feels bent right out of the gate.

It’s not the pedals - cross checked those on my other bike.

There’s a healthy about of huck to flat in my zone, but never bent a pedal or crankset before the KSL. Pedaling with a bent setup is starting to graduate from annoyance to a real pain in my knees so definitely want to get this sorted.
21AE401F-7113-4625-BC97-0FB7693D17DF.jpeg

Last edited:

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
Anyone ever hear of a bent crank/motor spindle?

On my 3rd set of alloy Praxis cranks (warranty… they’ve been great about it) and just realized the this newest set of crank arms feels bent right out of the gate.

It’s not the pedals - cross checked those on my other bike.

There’s a healthy about of huck to flat in my zone, but never bent a pedal or crankset before the KSL. Pedaling with a bent setup is starting to graduate from annoyance to a real pain in my knees so definitely want to get this sorted. View attachment 81344
I’m guessing you are an aggressive rider to have bent so many cranks. I’m fairly aggressive and 200lbs. No bent cranks yet, but I’m worried about it. I sure wish someone made a good crankset for this bike. I have Dev5 cranks on my analog bike. They are strong and a work of art. I asked and they told me they have no plans to make cranks for the SL motors at this time.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
I’m guessing you are an aggressive rider to have bent so many cranks. I’m fairly aggressive and 200lbs. No bent cranks yet, but I’m worried about it. I sure wish someone made a good crankset for this bike. I have Dev5 cranks on my analog bike. They are strong and a work of art. I asked and they told me they have no plans to make cranks for the SL motors at this time.

Thats super weird… I got a very different response. When did they tell you they had no plans to make SL cranks? Seems like a slam dunk market. Literally zero competition except for Praxis (who’s cranks failed in graphic slow mo on PB).

370AF19F-C457-40CA-8E50-26000A5C4186.jpeg

HarzEnduro

Jan 23, 2022
Germany
This is a worry - so soon after the the release of the bike.
Why? Is there something about the bike that has to be improved other than the sound of the motor? Is there any reliability issue I don't know of? I've just had 6 rides on my KSL and other than a milisecond of "motor error" message on my display, there has not been any problem with it.
Thats super weird… I got a very different response. When did they tell you they had no plans to make SL cranks? Seems like a slam dunk market. Literally zero competition except for Praxis (who’s cranks failed in graphic slow mo on PB).
Maybe the cranks shown in the prototype? shown above are already the ones they were talking about. That would be good news as I'm a fairly heavy rider too who rides aggressively.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
I’m am 300 lbs and the alloy cranks on the KSL Comp haven’t been a problem.
The ones that cracked during Pinkbike’s huck to flat test was the carbon version.

Beginning to think I bent the actual spindle (not the cranks) seeing as I just put on a new set of cranks and they immediately felt off.

Yeah, KSL frame came with carbon cranks that I swapped for alloy after seeing the PB fail.

MM5K

Jan 24, 2022
Bay Area
Just a note for anyone who may want to run a Sprindex - make sure you grind down or cut off the tab that sticks up. I just noticed today after a few rides that the tab had been scratching up the inside top of the shock tunnel. Luckily, there was no damage to the carbon. I'm still able to easily turn the adjuster without the tab.

IMG_2314.jpg

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa

View attachment 81389
That is weird. I didn’t save the email from them so I can’t post it. I ordered the cranks for my Stumpy Evo build about 3-4 weeks ago and asked them at that time about any plans for Kenevo SL cranks and they responded “not at this time”. I hope the response you got is the correct one. I agree with you that they would sell a bunch of them. They are expensive, but if you have the money for these crazy expensive bikes you can probably afford them. They are machining art. I almost hate to ride them and scratch them…almost😂.

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
This is a worry - so soon after the the release of the bike.
And just when I was starting to really enjoy this bike they go and create new bike envy already. Man, it’s a fight to stay satisfied which your current bike when the development curve goes straight up. I’m determined to keep this bike at least 2 years. That is my wife laughing in the background.

Stevie H

Mar 6, 2021
Hereford
How is everyone finding the rear suspension on their KSLs I have a new comp that I picked up the other day only 2 rides but finding that the rear end is quite stiff. I’ve dropped the shock pressure. Just come off a FF Kenevo where both front and rear end were very plush. My Gen 3 Levo is also a bit stiff on the rear but not as bad as this KSL.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
That is weird. I didn’t save the email from them so I can’t post it. I ordered the cranks for my Stumpy Evo build about 3-4 weeks ago and asked them at that time about any plans for Kenevo SL cranks and they responded “not at this time”. I hope the response you got is the correct one. I agree with you that they would sell a bunch of them. They are expensive, but if you have the money for these crazy expensive bikes you can probably afford them. They are machining art. I almost hate to ride them and scratch them…almost😂.

Fingers crossed! Maybe they didn’t realize Kenevo SL & Levo SL are the same platform (?). We’ll see. Probably makes sense for them to wait until the new levo SL comes out in case Spesh switches it up.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
How is everyone finding the rear suspension on their KSLs I have a new comp that I picked up the other day only 2 rides but finding that the rear end is quite stiff. I’ve dropped the shock pressure. Just come off a FF Kenevo where both front and rear end were very plush. My Gen 3 Levo is also a bit stiff on the rear but not as bad as this KSL.

Enduro is plusher but I’m almost there with the KSL. Rear shock tuning is not my jamb though. Patience is not my virtue.

Erunza70

Jan 19, 2022
Piasco
Come fanno tutti a trovare la sospensione posteriore sulle loro KSL Ho una nuova comp che ho raccolto l'altro giorno solo 2 giri ma ho scoperto che la parte posteriore è piuttosto rigida. Ho abbassato la pressione dell'ammortizzatore. Basta uscire da un FF Kenevo dove sia l'anteriore che il posteriore erano molto morbidi. Il mio Gen 3 Levo è anche un po' rigido sul retro ma non così male come questo KSL.
[/CITAZIONE]
Ciao, aspetterei di sfondare tutto bene anche per me nei primi giri l'ho trovata abbastanza rigida, poi invece si allentano per bene sia la forcella che l'ammortizzatore posteriore, il posteriore copia bene e assorbe molto, la forcella anteriore tutta la sua partenza legnosa dopo 300 km ha iniziato a funzionare bene.

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa

View attachment 81389
About a month ago when I ordered a set of cranks for my Stumpjumper Evo. They told at that time they had no plans to make cranks for the SL motors. Hopefully what they told you is correct. I’ll be first in line to order a set when they do.

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
Enduro is plusher but I’m almost there with the KSL. Rear shock tuning is not my jamb though. Patience is not my virtue.
I bought the expert, not the S Works. The lower tier shock that comes on the Expert was ok, but not great. There is not enough adjustments in the compression circuit to get it working well. I had a Float X2 from another bike that I sent to Fluid Focus for a custom tune. Now the rear suspension is as good as any bike I’ve owned. I’m very pleased with the way this bike handles.

roQer

Jun 29, 2019
Ludwigshafen am Rhein

The stock shock on the Comp is garbage. Switching to X2 factory makes quite significant difference.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
While I did upgrade the Float-X on my Comp to X2 Factory as I was doing a bit of 'dream' build, I made sure to ride it few time as it was and I was definitely satisfied (I am 85kg). I didn't find it garbage at all, and it's universally very well received shock. Almost every single bike reviewed past year on Pinkbike that came with Float-X (always the same base performance OEM model) made specific positive remarks on the shock.

Now what the "RxTune" specifically means on each respective Specialized shock is always unclear. In terms of Kenevo SL, the compression is Medium for all three respective shocks (Float-X Performance, Float X2 Performance and Factory) like most after-market tunes, but the rebound is bit specific.

Float-X is very high-volume shock, bit less than X2 but not by massive amount. It is definitely a plush shock, but with only Slow Rebound and 3-position Low-Speed compression lever, it lacks any external tunability.

When airing the shock up, make sure to equalize chambers every 50 psi. Before dropping pressure, try making the rebound bit faster. it's ok to have faster rebound, even KSL is pretty heavy bike it won't lose traction and unless you ride a lot in low-traction conditions like mud/roots/etc.. most people skew towards too slow rebound.

But I wouldn't pay to have this shock tuned if I couldn't set it up (outside of quick re-shim during annual service). That money is better spent selling it and buying something better.

Last but not least, depending on where you live, it's pretty cold right now. Most suspension performance sucks unless you change for much lower viscosity oil and even then don't expect miracles.

HanJones

Dec 23, 2021
Germany
I am considering an upgrade to the Kitsuma coil with Sprindex spring fitted. Did someone install a Kitsuma coil before? Did you go with the standard fox "hardware"?
Sorry for the rather noobish question: Did you pick the open-end eye variant or the standard?

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
I know there are various measurements on this already in this thread (I've read all twice), but they are all sort of random since most didn't slam it and measured arbitrary distances (bottom pedal to top of some saddle, etc..) none of which are universal sadly.

Could someone with S3 size and either 150mm or (better!) 180mm OneUp v2 measure this length as pictured (slammed saddle, slammed post, and centre of rails to top of seat-tube clamp. Pretty please! Very grateful:- )

It's impossible to measure this purely from existing seat-post insertion depth because I can't measure how much from insertion depth is due to actuator and how much without.

Also I wonder, how much different is the insertion depth between 34.9 and either 31.6 or even 30.9 diameter. I know Specialized uses 30.9 AXS version often, I presume this is due to their reaming/actuator space difference.

Btw, my Aenomaly SwitchGrade arrived today, beautiful thing. But I am afraid I will still be only able to use it on top of 150mm version :- /.
With bit of luck, I could have 180 shimmed to 160, but I don't see it optimistically.

150mm isn't too bad of drop, but with 165mm cranks, the slammed seat is still 1cm higher than on my previous enduro bike. So every cm counts ;- ).

Rails to Clamp top.jpg

Last edited:

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
I know there are various measurements on this already in this thread (I've read all twice), but they are all sort of random since most didn't slam it and measured arbitrary distances (bottom pedal to top of some saddle, etc..) none of which are universal sadly.

Could someone with S3 size and either 150mm or (better!) 180mm OneUp v2 measure this length as pictured (slammed saddle, slammed post, and centre of rails to top of seat-tube clamp. Pretty please! Very grateful:- )

It's impossible to measure this purely from existing seat-post insertion depth because I can't measure how much from insertion depth is due to actuator and how much without.

Also I wonder, how much different is the insertion depth between 34.9 and either 31.6 or even 30.9 diameter. I know Specialized uses 30.9 AXS version often, I presume this is due to their reaming/actuator space difference.

Btw, my Aenomaly SwitchGrade arrived today, beautiful thing. But I am afraid I will still be only able to use it on top of 150mm version :- /.
With bit of luck, I could have 180 shimmed to 160, but I don't see it optimistically.

150mm isn't too bad of drop, but with 165mm cranks, the slammed seat is still 1cm higher than on my previous enduro bike. So every cm counts ;- ).

View attachment 81636
Using this measurement I have 125mm with the post slammed on a 210mm dropper shimmed to 200mm drop.
This is on an S3 frame. This is definitely inserted as far as it can go into the seat tube.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
Thank you so much! Ok, that would line up to insertion depth of 205mm with OneUp v2 then (Specialized web says 197mm full diameter depth, and 210mm for X-Fusion Manic).

For me (32"/82cm) inseam means 180mm OneUp v2 shimmed to 160mm would have same height when slammed as stock 150mm Manic. Eh.. some improvement I guess.

All the benefits of dropper's low-stack height don't matter much when insertion depth of frame sucks.

I wonder if the V2.1 actuator fits on v1 170mm dropper. Such combination would yield ultra-low 465mm total length for 170mm dropper. 180mm with 480mm is big jump from 150/420mm.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere

View attachment 81636
FYI my 34.9/170mm AXS dropper measures at 120mm. I have cut off the surround that protects the air valve.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles