Levo Gen 3 Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

AlfonsoCosta108

Jun 25, 2021
Deutschland
The very first thing you will notice is how quick it turns, Like catch you out quick when you’re going a bit, I had the back let go a couple of times mid corner, Iv swapped the tyres for dhf’s, no complaints on the butcher up front but changed both anyway. For a long bike it really does turn well. My gen 2 was a medium, my gen 3 is an S4. Iv not tinkered with the 38’s yet, only had a few rides and I’m trying to sort an ext storia shock Iv fitted, Again something way different to the gen 2 is the rear linkages, gen 3 is way more progressive, if you swapped out your shock from a gen 2, it be like a hard tail... You need less spring on a gen 3.
The motor is a lot smoother on the fire roads etc, Don’t think it accelerates as strong in low cadence as the old motors, but I think specialized have mapped out the peak power surges over the last few updates ‘I had 4 motors in my gen 2 s works’ Not complaining, I prefer a little less oomph to pushing a dead one up mountains. Can’t notice the extra weight and the bike is a stunner, I’m gutted I missed them wraps Rob had going, that would have been the icing on the cake.
View attachment 58216 View attachment 58217
Please could you help me
I bought the Levo
Pro 2022 and I want to put the same shox ext e storia
I am heavy rider and I want to know the correct hardware and where did you buy it please ! And your thoughts about the shox please !
thank you
Alfonso

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
6239ACC6-D4DC-42F8-B8DB-E2AB0A216225.jpeg

508FCBD6-23D3-4359-99D3-F8158E2D3DC9.jpeg

DA2F8D52-7FFE-4D79-B20C-C2E21CB8A87E.jpeg

gling

Apr 21, 2021
Ardmore, PA
What is the reply from your lbs on that or has there maybe been an official reply from spech yet?

hey @Specialized Rider Care what is your take on the flapgate??

Coincidentally, I picked up my “replacement” battery port cover flap today. Ordered a spare bash guard too ($18) and it came with all the necessary hardware. Not pleased with the way Specialized handled this but in the grand scheme of things, I am glad that I got to ride outside a bit more.

I have concluded that the design and specification for the “replacement” battery port cover hinge (applies to original/OEM part as well I presume) is terrible. The material used for the part is polyolefinic (likely PP or LDPE) and is likely filled on top of that. Polyolefins are horrendous with regards to stress fatigue/crazing (esp. PP) and is not going to hold up to that many duty cycles especially given the hinge thickness and being filled

I’ve reinforced it with simple gaffers tape but expect it to fail regardless; mainly to prevent the door from falling off and being lost during a ride. When it does, I’ll reach out via warranty but will make my own replacement for peace of mind until a better solution is offered from Specialized.

I anticipate a new replacement part from Specialized in the future with a revised design or at the very least, a respecification on the build material.

Last edited:

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
I took out the TCU and unplugged the harness to shrink wrap the controller cable and brake hose together. When I did this, I noticed quite a bit of space in that cavity where the harness plugs could possibly rattle against the frame depending on how it is packed in there. You may want to try looking in that area if you haven't already. Maybe put some extra padding (paper. sponge, etc.) in there to troubleshoot whether it is caused by the cable harness. Good luck.

Gerald.
Thanks, I'll work on that, us early beta testers should at least get a T shirt.

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
Did you remove the factory film, your bike looks awesome, by the way?
Thanks
Yes I removed the factory film prior to installing the gloss ride wrap

i then reapplied the factory film for the downtube

I find removing the factory film is the best route because there are no raised areas on wrap. And no matter what dirt always finds its way into those raised areas

NewBeeEMTB

Jun 28, 2021
SoCal
On the other hand they speced X01 shifter and derailleur, I was prepared for GX. Never mind, first 42km behind me, this bike is a beast! Coming from Nomad and gosh, I was not ready for this! ???

I need to get rid of tubes tonight and order compression tokens for both Foxes.

Money well spent.
Forgive my new bee ignorance but what are the tokes for, do I need some tokens ?? beautiful bike by the way I have the same one but S2.

gling

Apr 21, 2021
Ardmore, PA
Thanks
Yes I removed the factory film prior to installing the gloss ride wrap

i then reapplied the factory film for the downtube

I find removing the factory film is the best route because there are no raised areas on wrap. And no matter what dirt always finds its way into those raised areas

Rydeezie,

Did you have invisiframe or a clear ride wrap installed before putting the alien wrap on? Have invisiframe on now and debating putting the alien wrap over it or just holding off until the invisiframe is worn.

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
Rydeezie,

Did you have invisiframe or a clear ride wrap installed before putting the alien wrap on? Have invisiframe on now and debating putting the alien wrap over it or just holding off until the invisiframe is worn.
I installed alien wrap over gloss ride wrap

the alien wrap is not too sticky. Almost like a static wrap. I was able to peel off alienwrap easily. I don’t know how it will be after a few days but I’m guessing it should still be easy to remove and reapply.

It was way easier than the wet install. Different type of film. You can test with the cutout piece for the TCU

gling

Apr 21, 2021
Ardmore, PA
A
Ok so I’m still waiting for my wheel rebuild from the shop. So i had time to play around with the extra pieces. Decided to fit the downtube piece for extra protection when on the tailgate of a truck. Placed the cut pieces on the fork
View attachment 65694
View attachment 65695

Applied mine yesterday; wish I had extra to cover the fork too. Surprised at how “relaxing” it was to apply a dry Ride Wrap product. Very pleased with the product but adhesion strength at the edges could be better. Perhaps it is because there is no lubrication from a typical wet application that leaves residual stress in the wrap causing it to peel at high stretched areas.

Anyways, more liberal application of heat and some additional reinforcement from clear tape solved the edge issues in critical areas. Great product overall after learning about its stretch limitations.

Disclaimer: the slightly less than ideal application is due to my decision of not removing the full Invisiframe protection kit prior to applying the Ride Wrap kit. Overall, I would do it all over again if I had to for cosmetic reasons; it wasn’t such a big deal but I will report back after some ride time especially in the wet.

P/s: Big thanks to Rob for making this a reality!

A066B90A-25FB-4D74-9555-62B64E3B3EE1.jpeg

E4FDF3B4-8A93-4748-9341-82FEA7489479.jpeg

0E6313ED-87A6-4D40-8873-74B9984E68A4.jpeg

88C743ED-4ABD-44E3-9655-31A76FD9AEE6.jpeg

610C9CA4-39DB-4AD1-9BF6-AD14714F1F8D.jpeg

398E4908-981F-4CAD-A854-8330A1AD4862.jpeg

CD9C7715-B644-438D-ADD7-C73287340862.jpeg

D1CA72D0-EAA3-446E-BA92-05C946211B52.jpeg

2FA12226-A776-49FD-A9C9-1ECBFB7C82FD.jpeg

76B0BFDF-10EE-4034-9670-1ECE58A90885.jpeg

NewBeeEMTB

Jun 28, 2021
SoCal
A

Applied mine yesterday; wish I had extra to cover the fork too. Surprised at how “relaxing” it was to apply a dry Ride Wrap product. Very pleased with the product but adhesion strength at the edges could be better. Perhaps it is because there is no lubrication from a typical wet application that leaves residual stress in the wrap causing it to peel at high stretched areas.

Anyways, more liberal application of heat and some additional reinforcement from clear tape solved the edge issues in critical areas. Great product overall after learning about its stretch limitations.

Disclaimer: the slightly less than ideal application is due to my decision of not removing the full Invisiframe protection kit prior to applying the Ride Wrap kit. Overall, I would do it all over again if I had to for cosmetic reasons; it wasn’t such a big deal but I will report back after some ride time especially in the wet.

View attachment 65850

View attachment 65851

View attachment 65852

View attachment 65853

View attachment 65854

View attachment 65855

View attachment 65856

View attachment 65857

View attachment 65858

View attachment 65859
Man that is incredible looking. Who makes those kits if I wanted to buy one? I mean I realize I can not purchase the limited edition one but does that brand sell wraps I can choose from and ship to the US?

gling

Apr 21, 2021
Ardmore, PA
Man that is incredible looking. Who makes those kits if I wanted to buy one? I mean I realize I can not purchase the limited edition one but does that brand sell wraps I can choose from and ship to the US?

Ride Wrap and they are based in BC, Canada if I am not mistaken; I’m based in the US and know of fellow bikers who have got them here.

Have only used Invisiframe to date but am liking their product just as much. Don’t know if they have similar off-the-shelf designer products but doesn’t hurt to inquire.

j.e.

Jun 29, 2020
Germany
Does anyone have the comp specs yet? Pondering over the expert but it’s slightly above budget
The comp specs were postet somewhere in this thread i think. You find them in the levo workbook (sticked thread in this forum) too.

CJM83

Aug 20, 2020
Cardiff
The comp specs were postet somewhere in this thread i think. You find them in the levo workbook (sticked thread in this forum) too.

Ok cheers I’ll have another look. I think it may have been culled during the tidy up

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
A

View attachment 65850

View attachment 65851

View attachment 65852

View attachment 65853

View attachment 65854

View attachment 65855

View attachment 65856

View attachment 65857

View attachment 65858

View attachment 65859

Ah, someone else with a SB130 and an eBike!. I LOVE my SB130LR. Fits me like a glove. My 22 Kenevo SL doesn't fit me as good, but hard to not like e-assist (my first). So let me ask since I'm new (2 weeks in) to this eBike stuff, I still have my Yeti and the hope was to make a decision to keep just one. I haven't been on the 130 since I picked up the Kenevo but I know it'll feel good and light. Can you tell me about your experience/perspective having both?

Cheers!

Stone0207

Mar 9, 2019
Roedermark
How do you guys feel about motor noise of the new gen? I am riding with three other levos, two 21 alloy comp and one 20 comp carbon. All of them are noticeably quiter- by far.
as soon as I start ascending and put pressure on the pedals it starts whining. Even in eco.
my thought is that there must be something wrong with it - but on the other hand it is barely noticeable when pedaling in the flat.
Thouhgts?

Last edited:

AlfonsoCosta108

Jun 25, 2021
Deutschland
How do you guys feel about motor noise of the new gen? I am riding with three other levos, two 21 alu comp and one 20 comp carbon. All of them are noticeably quiter- by far.
as soon as I start ascending and put pressure on the pedals it starts whining. Even in eco.
my thought is that there must be something wrong with it - but on the other hand it is barely noticeable when pedaling in the flat.
Thouhgts?

mine do the same. Levo pro 2022. It is really loud uphill. I had an pívot shuttle before and was 80% less loud
I thought that was something wrong with the motor.
maybe it is ! I had an specialized kenevo 2019 and was really quiet !
please Rob and other friends. Your thoughts on this ?

AlfonsoCosta108

Jun 25, 2021
Deutschland
to be honest. Downhill is super quiet. No ruttle
Sound or
Anything. But uphill is super loud. More than any bike
I was riding with a friend with his cube stereo 140 with the Bosch motor. And this was super quiet and mine was extremely loud

Stone0207

Mar 9, 2019
Roedermark
I am pretty disappointed on that as well if it turns out that this is normal. Will get in touch with lbs and see what he has to say.
but - if 3 out of 3 report the same this is most probably it.

Further reports welcome!

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
I’ve got about 400 miles on my ‘22 expert and when peddling a long uphill it’s very loud. In addition, it doesn’t feel as powerful as the previous gen. I really thought that something was wrong but I rode my bike and a ‘20 levo back to back and yup the previous gen was quieter and more powerful but the difference wasn’t huge. Problem is that although the bike is awesome, you just don’t expect on a $11-15K bike to have a motor that’s not as good as the previous gen. If specialized “fixed” the motor to make it more reliable and made it louder and less powerful, I doubt folks will be happy.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles