Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Freiburg, Germany
Agreed. Highly considering selling my Enduro + Commencal to get one as my only bike. I don’t like having more than one bike at once anyways.

If you decide to make the change, please do let us know :D I was kind of thinking the same. Currently, I live in Portugal where we do not have a lot of uplifts and the Commencal Meta Power 29 makes sense overall for this place. But I am thinking to move back to the mountains and bike parks, to be closer to family, and I think the Commencal only makes sense if you have a crew with full e-bikes. Therefore, personally, I was thinking to buy only the Frame, and build it up with all the parts I got on my Commencal. Would love to hear the experience from someone that goes roughly through the same. But I am not sure about the motor itself. They don't have a Kenevo SL in Portugal, or at least not that I know of. I asked the guys from Specialized a couple of times, but they weren't able to answer if they will have a test bike. Your opinion would be really appreciated man (y)

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
I went with the same. 150mm
I have a 180mm OneUp as well but found insertion length ended up not much different from the XFusion 150mm

on the S3 the OneUp 150mm is so close to perfection for me. I can get the saddle out of the way when slammed, can still pedal from that lowest height and when extended, I’m in a really good pedalling position.
(I could use 5-10mm more height to achieve perfection)

BTW: How tall are you? I'm eager to test this setup on my S3

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
BTW: How tall are you? I'm eager to test this setup on my S3
I’m 5’9” (175cm) - The stock dropper just didn’t get out of the way enough for me on the steep / slow / technical descents.
The OneUp 150 dropper now gets well out of the way, which I’m really happy with. Now the game is raising it up a tiny bit more to get the right full extension height while not sacrificing the slammed (out of the way) position.
As for my leg length, I have short(ish) legs with. 29” inseam.

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
I’m 5’9” (175cm) - The stock dropper just didn’t get out of the way enough for me on the steep / slow / technical descents.
The OneUp 150 dropper now gets well out of the way, which I’m really happy with. Now the game is raising it up a tiny bit more to get the right full extension height while not sacrificing the slammed (out of the way) position.
As for my leg length, I have short(ish) legs with. 29” inseam.

You do have a short inseam...haha For example, I'm 5'10" with a 33/34 inseam on an S3, but agree with you about the Kenevo SL seat getting in the way, so based on your comments, I too just bought a OneUp 150mm dropper so I'll see how it works when it arrives. The stock post is just a tad too tall fully extended, but with the limited range of the dropper into the frame (shock gets in the way), I can't quite get the perfect seat position....Sorta like what you are dealing with so I'm constantly changing my seat height on the fly....It's a bit annoying, but thankfully it's not off by much, but just enough to be a costant reminder.

P.S. with my longer inseam, I have a "shortish" torso in comparison. :)

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
@KSL - My inseam is more like 29 3/4” :ROFLMAO:Sounds like the dropper you bought will work out really well.
The 180 would have been great (shimmed down) but the total insert length was too similar to the stock dropper.

Enjoy!

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
I did a few things to my Kenevo SL over the last week or so:

1. I've struggled to get the right feel with this bike. The rear always seems to dominate the front so I've had success opening compression in the rear and now I'm all the way out along with faster rebound as well. This has helped a lot to make the rear move and track the ground better and generally just more overall compliance on trails or DH. I didn't check shock pressure when I got the bike so that may be a contributing factor, but I've since tried 201psi and this also seems to help lower the rear and open up (I'm 174 lbs).
  2. Since the bike has always felt forward biased, I've been increasing fork compression on the fly while riding to improve front to rear balance. The challenge is getting plushness from the front along with holdup. FOX38's seem to be harder to dial in than my 36's. It seems if you deviate from a good setting, you end up too far on the other end of the spectrum. That said, I'm hoping the lower pressure in the rear helps balance the bike better. I've been running 93PSI in the forks so far.
  3. I've seen others replace their 50mm stems with 32 and 35 lengths, so I just tested a 35 stem (to get my weight more rearward and off the front) and I wasn't stoked on it so I just went back to the stock 50mm stem, but did replace the bars. 35 wasn't bad, but it took weight off the front so I had to re-adjust my riding position. It was great however for getting the front end up!. Great for wheelies too, but it sacrificed some front end traction but I'm gonna pass for now at least.
  4. Tested lower and higher rear positions, but settled on low. IMO, low seems to allow the shock to work more freely. Not a significant difference either way, but if you pay attention you can notice. I noticed enough to keep it on low, but it really depends on what you are after in terms of ride feel.
  5. Put some Diety CF bars on already.
  6. Spank peddles coming...
  7. OneUp seat post next...
  8. I call this bike the blobsled on DH. It plows with confidence and poise.

Last edited:

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I did a few things to my Kenevo SL over the last week or so:

1. I've struggled to get the right feel with this bike. The rear always seems to dominate the front so I've had success opening compression in the rear and now I'm all the way out along with faster rebound as well. This has helped a lot to make the rear move and track the ground better and generally just more overall compliance on trails or DH. I didn't check shock pressure when I got the bike so that may be a contributing factor, but I've since tried 201psi and this also seems to help lower the rear and open up (I'm 174 lbs).
  2. Since the bike has always felt forward biased, I've been increasing fork compression on the fly while riding to improve front to rear balance. The challenge is getting plushness from the front along with holdup. FOX38's seem to be harder to dial in than my 36's. It seems if you deviate from a good setting, you end up too far on the other end of the spectrum. That said, I'm hoping the lower pressure in the rear helps balance the bike better. I've been running 93PSI in the forks so far.
  3. I've seen others replace their 50mm stems with 32 and 35 lengths, so I just tested a 35 stem (to get my weight more rearward and off the front) and I wasn't stoked on it so I just went back to the stock 50mm stem, but did replace the bars. 35 wasn't bad, but it took weight off the front so I had to re-adjust my riding position. It was great however for getting the front end up!. Great for wheelies too, but it sacrificed some front end traction but I'm gonna pass for now at least.
  4. Tested lower and higher rear positions, but settled on low. IMO, low seems to allow the shock to work more freely. Not a significant difference either way, but if you pay attention you can notice. I noticed enough to keep it on low, but it really depends on what you are after in terms of ride feel.
  5. Put some Diety CF bars on already.
  6. Spank peddles coming...
  7. OneUp seat post next...
  8. I call this bike the blobsled on DH. It plows with confidence and poise.
Nice write up.. couple of observations

I am roughly your weight, maybe 176-178lbs depending on the day. I am running 220psi in the rear plus a volume spacer. From the way you describe it, you are running undersprung in the rear. Try adding some psi to see if that helps matters. I am roughly in the middle on lsc and rebound as well, but it feels good all around. That will help with the bias and ride quality I bet.

I do agree that the low let’s you use the shock more. The leverage curve shifts an bit and becomes more progressive overall in high. I think for most trails I am preferring it in high, but the low is tough to beat in the super chunk and steeps.

honestly, I don’t think this bike needs much. Normally at this point I am already planning my suspension upgrades, but this just rides so darn well already. A coil and some fork mods my eventually be in my future, but it’s definitely not needed

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
Nice write up.. couple of observations

I am roughly your weight, maybe 176-178lbs depending on the day. I am running 220psi in the rear plus a volume spacer. From the way you describe it, you are running undersprung in the rear. Try adding some psi to see if that helps matters. I am roughly in the middle on lsc and rebound as well, but it feels good all around. That will help with the bias and ride quality I bet.

I do agree that the low let’s you use the shock more. The leverage curve shifts an bit and becomes more progressive overall in high. I think for most trails I am preferring it in high, but the low is tough to beat in the super chunk and steeps.

honestly, I don’t think this bike needs much. Normally at this point I am already planning my suspension upgrades, but this just rides so darn well already. A coil and some fork mods my eventually be in my future, but it’s definitely not needed

Yeah, on paper, my settings suggest I'm undersprung, but this shock setup or the way leverage works on this bike it doesn't feel that way at all - to my surprise. Like you, the bike works pretty good overall and doesn't require anything major other than fine tuning for the rider. The balance thing is probably my biggest issue as it can feel awkward when riding. I've made a lot of progress with minor tweaks. It's a beast of a bike for sure.

I have two choices - 1.) increase the stiffness of my forks so that I have more range to use with my shock or 2.) allow more movement in the forks which pretty much forces me to open up the rear (for bike balance). The bike actually works both ways - more controlled settings or more open I found. - just working on the balance.

I would think that adding the volume spacer would cause the shock action to ramp up quicker?

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
If you haven’t given it a go, try adding 10-15psi. It may seem counter intuitive, but it might just actually get you what you want. Or it could be worse and it was a simple experiment ?
My fork is at 93 ish psi as well. I find that the fork generally has a bit less travel used than the rear (relatively speaking). Not 100% balanced, but it sounds like the opposite of what you are experiencing.

I was bottoming out more than I wanted on bigger stuff. It wasn’t really needed for most trail riding, but I like adding that tad bit of bottom out ramp. If you aren’t seeing that at all, than yeah it’s probably not needed.

Reactions: KSL

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
If you haven’t given it a go, try adding 10-15psi. It may seem counter intuitive, but it might just actually get you what you want. Or it could be worse and it was a simple experiment ?
My fork is at 93 ish psi as well. I find that the fork generally has a bit less travel used than the rear (relatively speaking). Not 100% balanced, but it sounds like the opposite of what you are experiencing.

I was bottoming out more than I wanted on bigger stuff. It wasn’t really needed for most trail riding, but I like adding that tad bit of bottom out ramp. If you aren’t seeing that at all, than yeah it’s probably not needed.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I'll work with pressues and clickers to get what I want. For the time-being, I've established a decent baseline and will tweak as needed. This bike works well on both ends of the spectrum, but when stiffer, It's not as poppy and playful, but works and feels really good. One of my goals was inject some playfullness into this chassis as a it's a bobsled that simply hugs the ground and stays planted. I have to remind myself that I'm not riding a 30 lb MTB. I've found that faster rebound front/rear allows for full on DH bombing runs. :eek:

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Yeah, on paper, my settings suggest I'm undersprung, but this shock setup or the way leverage works on this bike it doesn't feel that way at all - to my surprise. Like you, the bike works pretty good overall and doesn't require anything major other than fine tuning for the rider. The balance thing is probably my biggest issue as it can feel awkward when riding. I've made a lot of progress with minor tweaks. It's a beast of a bike for sure.

I have two choices - 1.) increase the stiffness of my forks so that I have more range to use with my shock or 2.) allow more movement in the forks which pretty much forces me to open up the rear (for bike balance). The bike actually works both ways - more controlled settings or more open I found. - just working on the balance.

I would think that adding the volume spacer would cause the shock action to ramp up quicker?

Don’t get me started on Fox shocks…

I’ve had 3 different 2021 X2’s for 3 different Enduro’s (Covid warranty nightmares… don’t ask :) and each required a different pressure to get the same sag / feel. The one that felt stiffest and needed the least PSI to feel good (similar to yours) eventually blew up after a few dozen rides.

Stoked to hear most folks are loving the X2 on the KSL as I’ll likely be too broke to replace it after mine shows up, but I’m VERY keen to hear how the first EXT coil setup goes on this bike (phenomenal on the Enduro). Wondering if the right call is the Storia or the new E-Storia…

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal

I’ve had 3 different 2021 X2’s for 3 different Enduro’s (Covid warranty nightmares… don’t ask :) and each required a different pressure to get the same sag / feel. The one that felt stiffest and needed the least PSI to feel good (similar to yours) eventually blew up after a few dozen rides.

Stoked to hear most folks are loving the X2 on the KSL as I’ll likely be too broke to replace it after mine shows up, but I’m VERY keen to hear how the first EXT coil setup goes on this bike (phenomenal on the Enduro). Wondering if the right call is the Storia or the new E-Storia…

Ha, you are having bad luck. To be honest, my only experience with Fox is their forks and the DPX2. I was curious if a spring shock would even fit on this bike as there's no much room down there. I can't say for sure yet since my bike is loaded with dust, but it's possible the shock may have some leakage showing.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California

Not going to lie but the x2 on the ksl feels better than the ext storia on my sl ever did ( and that’s with a cascade link as well). I hope the x2 lasts a while without issue. The reservoir gets surprisingly warm or hot on the dh.

I am keen to hear more peoples experience on coils , particularly the ext stuff as well. Even though it’s pricier, I would go with the e-storia given all the updates seem spot on . Need to sell a lot of other bike stuff first though lol …

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Not going to lie but the x2 on the ksl feels better than the ext storia on my sl ever did ( and that’s with a cascade link as well). I hope the x2 lasts a while without issue. The reservoir gets surprisingly warm or hot on the dh.

I am keen to hear more peoples experience on coils , particularly the ext stuff as well. Even though it’s pricier, I would go with the e-storia given all the updates seem spot on . Need to sell a lot of other bike stuff first though lol …
Wow that’s great to hear re. X2! Yeah, lots of Pinkbike classified fundraising between me and a new EXT lol

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
I swapped the geo on my last ride to the "Middle" + "High" on the flip chip. Previously (stock) it was "Midde" +"low". I was just seeing what it would do as on the geo chart, I was intrigued by the potential of slightly more nimble + better climbing position. Well...

1. PR'd my singletrack climbs by over a min (14:53 w/previous PR at 16:00 on my SL). This is a windy, rocky, technical climb trail. The STA is noticeably more upright, and the reactive suspension just floats over everything.
  2. Mid-stroke support increased a lot. At least it feels that way. I was way over jumping on my typical doubles. One so much so that I careened into the bushes. It could be the shorter chainstays as well, but the overall leverage rate felt a bit more progressive.
  3. Bike felt a tad more nimble and less ultra-stable. Mind you, it still a very fast, capable DH monster. But it feels a smidge closer to all arounder than a DH machine. Honestly, probably best for most trails that have some technical climbing and/or flow type stuff.

Moral of story - try out the geo changes. They make a surprisingly bigger difference than I thought, and I didn't even push the extremes. Next I will try "Slack" and "High". I think it may add some of that stability back, with even steeper STA . Will be a little more "party" with the front/rear bias.

Wondering if you've tried changing the headtube angle yet with the optional headset tube spacer (-1/+1)?

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Wondering if you've tried changing the headtube angle yet with the optional headset tube spacer (-1/+1)?
I haven’t yet. Been enjoying it in the current setting for a few more mellow trail riding. Might go up to the park this weekend and could give it a go then.

Reactions: KSL

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California

Swapped to the -1 HTA with the "high" chainstay. This was a bit unplanned, but in my "simple" swap over to my AXS shifting, I had to remove the fork because of hassling with removing the cable tube... (PSA : don't remove the cable guide at the headtube. A) it's not needed and B) it may slide down the downtube requiring hi-jinx to get back where it's supposed to be)

Anyways... I got ride in today:

Smashed my local downhill PR by 8 seconds, which was previously set with the stock setting a few weeks ago. This a "tech-flow" trail with rocks, jumps, drops, berms ~ 13% grade over about a mile. The crazy thing was I was feeling a bit jittery today, and I didn't feel as comfortable on the jumps. The trail was also a bit more blownout at the top with bigger braking bumps and loose dirt on some on the berms. So - smashing by 8 second a 4 min DH with basically no pedaling was eye-opening. The bike whips around in a corners a bit better; it almost reminded me of the SL when I mulleted it.

I also beat my uphill by 30 seconds or so for a ~18:30. It felt a bit easier around switchbacks and a tad bit more stable over the chunk going up. This was with a few dabs as well, which normally happens on this trail (windy, rocky, singletrack climb).

Jumping felt a bit off, as I mentioned before. I think it's the longer front center that I need to get used to. I opened up the rebound on the fork a click which helped a bit. With the stock headset cup and chainstay in high mode, the bike felt a little more like an all-arounder. This setup is going to be killer at the bike park and on faster trails like I was on today. For more low speed tech, XC, etc - I would most likely go with the stock cups. It really made the bike feel like a big, aggressive trail bike.

I also noticed hitting the seat a bit more when maneuvering the bike on the DH. I could use a longer dropper post or the Switchgrade when it comes out I think.

Still amazed by this bike every ride I do. You can pick a geo setting and be fine in any scenario, but it's rad to have the adjustability which makes a noticeable difference. Kudos, specialized

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Got the RockShox SDU Coil in the mail yesterday. Going to install it soon and see what it's like.
I also have my 27.5 rear wheel ready to go.. but I'm really not convinced it's a good idea. The bike is so good and I feel a mixed wheel setup would not make this bike feel any better. + I have yet to buzz my ass on the rear wheel -> The main reason why I'd want a mixed wheel setup.
(Like I had on my Norco Sight VLT 29)

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Got the RockShox SDU Coil in the mail yesterday. Going to install it soon and see what it's like.
I also have my 27.5 rear wheel ready to go.. but I'm really not convinced it's a good idea. The bike is so good and I feel a mixed wheel setup would not make this bike feel any better. + I have yet to buzz my ass on the rear wheel -> The main reason why I'd want a mixed wheel setup.
(Like I had on my Norco Sight VLT 29)
I mean someone should try a mullet and write about it for #broscience , but I tend to agree. I think the positive nature of the rear end suspension dynamics will change and probably not for the better.

but definitely try the coil first and then add the mullet to be able to quantify the differences if you can

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Swapped to the -1 HTA with the "high" chainstay. This was a bit unplanned, but in my "simple" swap over to my AXS shifting, I had to remove the fork because of hassling with removing the cable tube... (PSA : don't remove the cable guide at the headtube. A) it's not needed and B) it may slide down the downtube requiring hi-jinx to get back where it's supposed to be)

Smashed my local downhill PR by 8 seconds, which was previously set with the stock setting a few weeks ago. This a "tech-flow" trail with rocks, jumps, drops, berms ~ 13% grade over about a mile. The crazy thing was I was feeling a bit jittery today, and I didn't feel as comfortable on the jumps. The trail was also a bit more blownout at the top with bigger braking bumps and loose dirt on some on the berms. So - smashing by 8 second a 4 min DH with basically no pedaling was eye-opening. The bike whips around in a corners a bit better; it almost reminded me of the SL when I mulleted it.

I also beat my uphill by 30 seconds or so for a ~18:30. It felt a bit easier around switchbacks and a tad bit more stable over the chunk going up. This was with a few dabs as well, which normally happens on this trail (windy, rocky, singletrack climb).

Jumping felt a bit off, as I mentioned before. I think it's the longer front center that I need to get used to. I opened up the rebound on the fork a click which helped a bit. With the stock headset cup and chainstay in high mode, the bike felt a little more like an all-arounder. This setup is going to be killer at the bike park and on faster trails like I was on today. For more low speed tech, XC, etc - I would most likely go with the stock cups. It really made the bike feel like a big, aggressive trail bike.

I also noticed hitting the seat a bit more when maneuvering the bike on the DH. I could use a longer dropper post or the Switchgrade when it comes out I think.

Still amazed by this bike every ride I do. You can pick a geo setting and be fine in any scenario, but it's rad to have the adjustability which makes a noticeable difference. Kudos, specialized

Super helpful. That high / slack is the setting I’ll try first when the KSL frame set arrives. Currently have the Enduro in high and overforked at 180 which is arguably similar (and similarly fast).

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Super helpful. That high / slack is the setting I’ll try first when the KSL frame set arrives. Currently have the Enduro in high and overforked at 180 which is arguably similar (and similarly fast).
It seems like a winner. It's maybe not as plow/stable as the med/lo or probably the slack/lo, but unless I was just doing pucker-factor DH, I don't see why I would go to those settings. The longer rear center in the lo setting did make the bike more "balanced", but again, it's like taking the bike from a 9 to 10 in the stability factor.

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal

It seems like a winner. It's maybe not as plow/stable as the med/lo or probably the slack/lo, but unless I was just doing pucker-factor DH, I don't see why I would go to those settings. The longer rear center in the lo setting did make the bike more "balanced", but again, it's like taking the bike from a 9 to 10 in the stability factor.

I always run low in the rear.

You guys playing with bikes settings may wanna try a shorter stem if you want more control over the front. Swapping a stem makes a noticeable difference in how easy you can pull up the front end.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I always run low in the rear.

You guys playing with bikes settings may wanna try a shorter stem if you want more control over the front. Swapping a stem makes a noticeable difference in how easy you can pull up the front end.

Yeah I went shorter on the stem and that helped. It feels good

funny planning on hitting laps at summit this weekend.

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
@KSL - For me, high setting is needed for the climbing around here. If I'm in the bike park or riding trails accessed off of fire roads.. low setting all day long. (y)
Sick profile image btw ?

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
@KSL - For me, high setting is needed for the climbing around here. If I'm in the bike park or riding trails accessed off of fire roads.. low setting all day long. (y)
Sick profile image btw ?

I "borrowed" the image from somewhere. ;)
I haven't tried running high for climbing but take your word for it. I prefer blitzing DH and this bike plows like no other.

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Sad news. A RockShox Super Deluxe Coil does not fit the KSL.
The reservoir is just a few mm too long for the top of the shock tunnel during deep compression.

BC6614C4-62A5-4DAB-AC68-B2E53E4E947A.jpeg
Lucky I added RideWrap there.

I also tried it the other way around but the LSC knob hits the linkage plate.
Oh well. Now we know.

Bummer ?

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles