SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Question for the group.
When a designer determines that a frame is made for XXXmm of travel are they including sag in the design?
In other words is a frame designed for 170mm fork really a 150mm design given a typical 20mm sag?
No.
Sag is just the amount the suspension compressing under a riders body weight.
Most mtb/emtb suspension designs will encompass sag into the equation to ensure that regardless of frame size & body weight, the consistency of the kinematics are near enough the same.
20231127_204714.jpg

The same is true for using volume spacers as well.

PSI used to achieve 30% sag for the CEF50 will vary from rider to rider. And subject to how much bottom-out support they require, a rider will use a bigger or smaller volume spacer👍🏿

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Question for the group.
When a designer determines that a frame is made for XXXmm of travel are they including sag in the design?
In other words is a frame designed for 170mm fork really a 150mm design given a typical 20mm sag?
Does your interrogation is about angles measured in regard of angles mentioned in description by manufacturer ?

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
I guess it is directly related. I was just thinking about sag and how it affects the actual travel of the fork. Since each frame is designed to have a specific travel fork it seems like it is important to know if the sag is considered since it can subtract 20mm from a typical fork.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
I guess it is directly related. I was just thinking about sag and how it affects the actual travel of the fork. Since each frame is designed to have a specific travel fork it seems like it is important to know if the sag is considered since it can subtract 20mm from a typical fork.
Not tested for the moment, butThat i constat with my XL with 150 fork and 2x 29", i have 63.5 for fork angle, 1305 wheelbase. those value are extrem for me and i can not doing what i wanted, with more front travel and 27.5 rear. Because that will reduced fork angle and increase wheelbase.
The only possibility whould be to use 27.5 front, but i prefer keeping 29. Does somebody use 170 front ? on which kind of tracks (fast rolling track, slow single track, technical, engaged) ?

I constat also that the seat angle is a lot of more than other bikes used until now and needs to modified a lot my position. have you reduced seat/handelbar length and handelbar height, or increase BB/handelbar length ? Compared to your usual values.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Not tested for the moment, butThat i constat with my XL with 150 fork and 2x 29", i have 63.5 for fork angle, 1305 wheelbase. those value are extrem for me and i can not doing what i wanted, with more front travel and 27.5 rear. Because that will reduced fork angle and increase wheelbase.
The only possibility whould be to use 27.5 front, but i prefer keeping 29. Does somebody use 170 front ? on which kind of tracks (fast rolling track, slow single track, technical, engaged) ?

I constat also that the seat angle is a lot of more than other bikes used until now and needs to modified a lot my position. have you reduced seat/handelbar length and handelbar height, or increase BB/handelbar length ? Compared to your usual values.
One thing I have used in the past are angle set headsets. They are made by a number of companies like Wolftooth, Cane Creek and 9point8. They change the angle of the front fork up or down. But I have not found one to fit a ZS66 lower cup headset.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
All right. Putting it out there for the pop-up tool to replace the top tube cap.
Screenshot_20231128-193933.png

I asked Linda to consider aquiring it from one of their clients that markets the CEF50 under their brand name and that makes the pop-up tool compartment.

She finally got a sample. She said the SZZS engineer thought that it was not well made plastic and that it had to retro-fitted with extra screw holes. So, they won't be ordering any.
Screenshot_20231128-193859.png

Personally, I'd be fine with just a empty storage compartment for soft items. Anything to utilize the hole practically.

Yes, I know peeps have varying opinions, but I'm pushing hard for them to make something other than just a cap that's not really water-tight. 😒

And yep, I thought about just sealing the cap off with glue on the new warranty frame. Initially, I was going to carbon-patch it before I painted it, until I saw the pop-up multi-tool a few months ago.

Anyway, if you're up for specifically for a small storage compartment let Linda or Jean know. If enough ask, they just might respond affirmatively.👊

Last edited:

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Jean said they were in the sample making process. Once confirmed mass production will start and will notify once avaliable.
Great! 💪

Did Jean say what they were making exactly...Linda was unclear.

A similar pop-up tool compartment, or an empty, small storage hidey-hole? Either one works but thinking simple is quicker and less trouble mechanically.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
One thing I have used in the past are angle set headsets. They are made by a number of companies like Wolftooth, Cane Creek and 9point8. They change the angle of the front fork up or down. But I have not found one to fit a ZS66 lower cup headset.
Yes, i have search also and not found

DirtyCurty

Oct 13, 2023
Tumbler Ridge
Great! 💪

Did Jean say what they were making exactly...Linda was unclear.

A similar pop-up tool compartment, or an empty, small storage hidey-hole? Either one works but thinking simple is quicker and less trouble mechanically.
Jean sent the photo of the pop up tool image. This was 2 weeks ago not sure if you have been talking with Linda more recently. I can inquire again to confirm the pop up tool compartment will be avaliable.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Jean sent the photo of the pop up tool image. This was 2 weeks ago not sure if you have been talking with Linda more recently. I can inquire again to confirm the pop up tool compartment will be avaliable.
Yeah, I sent a pic from our thread in late October to Linda....Jean seems to be the most accurate contact from my experience. Unfortunately Linda isn't always up to date or 100% clear. So, whatever recent updates Jean has is good.👊

Herculesridesebikes

Jun 19, 2023
Australia
I seem to be having excessive headset creaking I've taken it apart and regressed the bearings but after a few rides it persists. I even reinstalled the bottom cup as I thought it may be the culprit but after a few rides I get the same creaking again. Any suggestions? I'm using the nukeproof headset and the stock bottom bearings.

kaylee.s

Jul 6, 2023
Redondo Beach, CA
I seem to be having excessive headset creaking I've taken it apart and regressed the bearings but after a few rides it persists. I even reinstalled the bottom cup as I thought it may be the culprit but after a few rides I get the same creaking again. Any suggestions? I'm using the nukeproof headset and the stock bottom bearings.
My lightcarbon lce930 is doing the same thing. No solution yet.

Pinkee

Jul 5, 2023
Australia
I have the same issue. My e10 is rock solid, but my CEF creaks like a 200 year old house.

I have even gone as far as gluing in the cups, but still the same.

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
I too haven't had any creeking in the headset.
-876903218-670000460.png

This headset will be arriving for next week. So I'll let you know how I get along with it.
20230705_235157.jpg

Truth be told, I haven't had issues with this headset either. Granted, I'm aware that some members have expressed concern for the cables being damaged if not routed in a specific way.

My best guess would be that it might be either the bearings, the bearing upper race or, the crown race.

But I'll study both (along with the Nukeproof headset) to see if it's an easy fix for all of you👍🏿

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Not bad...Just the weight issue. 👍

Wet weight vs. dry weight. I'm about 45.5-46 lbs on a 180 Zeb (27.5er) and large frame, 2.4 tires, and 720 Wh battery with lighter componentry w/o pedals, or industry "dry weight" standard. Close to the Transition Relay premium carbon build PNW edition (even with the bigger battery).

Weight savings comes from the CEF50 frame having no battery cover and latch system in comparison to the Relay. It's up to 2.5 lbs + savings for a motor-dismounted battery system. 🪶

Now add pedals, full Victtoria inserts with 27.5x3.0/2.8+ tires, and 160 ml of sealant, I get another 48 -48.5 lbs.. This is ready-to-ride and the "wet weight". 💪

This in contrast to my M600 full-powered carbon build with 1000 Wh soft-pack battery at 58 lbs +/- wet weight.

So, agility and lift-weight is key. While I sacrifice 25+ Nm of usable torque, and 280 Wh of battery, I get 10 lbs of shedding maneuverability in return. More svelt bang for the money.💸🤟

Last edited:

Herculesridesebikes

Jun 19, 2023
Australia
I too haven't had any creeking in the headset.
View attachment 130066
This headset will be arriving for next week. So I'll let you know how I get along with it.
View attachment 130067
Truth be told, I haven't had issues with this headset either. Granted, I'm aware that some members have expressed concern for the cables being damaged if not routed in a specific way.

My best guess would be that it might be either the bearings, the bearing upper race or, the crown race.

But I'll study both (along with the Nukeproof headset) to see if it's an easy fix for all of you👍🏿
Thanks, I'll be reinstalling soon and see if I can't get rid of it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles