SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Sorry, my Asperger's demands a quest for clarity and accuracy to the point of annoying others at times. Apologies! 😉
💯Most of us are just trying to get the most precise knowledge of the CEF50 to avoid future issues.

All want the new build to work right in order to ride more. Riding is funner!

Drinking a nice post-ride libation, stout for me, is awesome too (I know it doesn't help my weight/fat-loss), especially with a potential hottie gf!🍻

Maybe even her someday!😉
Screenshot_20230118-102713.png

Last edited:

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
💯Most of us are just trying to get the most precise knowledge of the CEF50 to avoid future issues.

All want the new build to work right in order to ride more. Riding is funner!

Drinking a nice post-ride libation, stout for me, is awesome too (I know it doesn't help my weight/fat-loss), especially with a potential hottie gf!🍻

Maybe even her someday!😉
View attachment 114129

Consider following the advice in this video, before posting next time. ;)

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ

Consider following the advice in this video, before posting next time. ;)
Yeah classic! Good advice for a first date! 👍 Sounds like it's better applied for your anxiety not mine...maybe?😁

Anyway, it's time to ride my E-mtb soon. No harm, no foul!👊

Last edited:

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Is this not true for UDH?

I didn't know this. So you're saying a UDH (the hanger) will not bend or break to protect the rear derailleur/frame?
I was talking about T where the deraileur attaches to the stays and the thru axle goes through it.

dvng

May 21, 2021
Malaysia
Closest is @LEE. running a 52.5 stroke on a mixed wheel setup for a large frame...

so 3 leverage ratio x 52.5 mm stroke = 157.5 mm+/- travel. If that's the best, then not bad really.🤙
Largest deal breaker for this frame is the , 1) coil shock won’t work, 2) shock can’t be overstroke 3) bafang dosent produce a 720wh battery.
I was really hoping this frame would set itself into the kenevo sl territory. Unfortunately, the frame makers didn't set the bar far enough.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Largest deal breaker for this frame is the , 1) coil shock won’t work, 2) shock can’t be overstroke 3) bafang dosent produce a 720wh battery.
I was really hoping this frame would set itself into the kenevo sl territory. Unfortunately, the frame makers didn't set the bar far enough.
Well, you're premature on the overstroke and big battery for now.

Only 3 frames have been delivered and 2 are full builds currently. The headset had various issues going on (replacement HS being sent out) and that delayed one rider's report. The other is riding and reviewing sparingly.

I'm waiting for my frame (just days away now🤞) and plan on testing the 210x 55mm/27.5er wheel on the bigger MegNeg air can for 165 mm rear travel clearance. So we'll see soon, but I'm definitely getting impatient!🤯

"Probably" the coil won't fit...another guy should be updating the group in the next week or two on his take.

The 720Wh battery is a third party manufacturer. No problems reported so far on that build. 👍

The smallest 340Wh Bafang battery was unavailable, so ZSSZ is using the same builders as the 720Wh. Apparently, they are ready to ship too.

The middle 410Wh Bafang battery was delayed, but should also be now shipping with the newer orders last I heard (?).

Others feel free to jump in here on the update for any gaps or corrections...

Last edited:

forsa355

Jan 31, 2023
Canada
Well, you're premature on the overstroke and big battery for now.

Only 3 frames have been delivered and 2 are full builds currently. The headset had various issues going on (replacement HS being sent out) and that delayed one rider's report. The other is riding and reviewing sparingly.

I'm waiting for my frame (just days away now🤞) and plan on testing the 210x 55mm/27.5er wheel on the bigger MegNeg air can for 165 mm rear travel clearance. So we'll see soon, but I'm definitely getting impatient!🤯

"Probably" the coil won't fit...another guy should be updating the group in the next week or two on his take.

The 720Wh battery is a third party manufacturer. No problems reported so far on that build. 👍

The smallest 340Wh Bafang battery was unavailable, so ZSSZ is using the same builders as the 720Wh. Apparently, they are ready to ship too.

The middle 410Wh Bafang battery was delayed, but should also be now shipping with the newer orders last I heard (?).

Others feel free to jump in here on the update for any gaps or corrections...
I just chatted with Jean. The Bafang 410wh is still delayed as they revise the end mounts on it - no ETA. I also asked about the 340wh in house battery TCFlowClyde refers to above. She said they are not doing that and only other Battery is a Bafang 360wh. Not sure where you got that info from

I'm tired of waiting for the 410wh battery, so upgraded my order to the 720wh (should ship next week). Don't really want the extra weight but at least with a 36v system I can easily build my own light weight battery down the line

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I just chatted with Jean. The Bafang 410wh is still delayed as they revise the end mounts on it - no ETA. I also asked about the 340wh in house battery TCFlowClyde refers to above. She said they are not doing that and only other Battery is a Bafang 360wh. Not sure where you got that info from
Great! Thanks for the most recent updates. Good to hear that directly from Jean, who appears to be the most authoritative/best source of the latest info and is the head salesperson...right? I work with Linda on my order. So, Jean is the final word on accuracy!💪

Yes, typo on the Bafang 360Wh not 340. 😵‍💫 So, it is still available as an option from Bafang and ready to ship then? You didn't clarify on that point... If so, that's a 36 V that goes with 36 V motor then...correct?

Unfortunate, I thought they had a 410 Wh already developed with the end mount work-arounds and was ready go. Sorry to hear it. That's definitely frustrating. Thanks for the correction.👍

Glad you're amenable to switching to the bigger 720Wh and 36V motor. Like you said the 36V is a little easier to bootstrap a DIY 36v battery like for an extender or main battery from what I'm told. 🤞

The weight penality may not be as bad as anticipated in the long run on the more powerful 75 Nm motor, especially using the juice-hungry, higher power modes, as I and a few others have argued. And if the super boost "Rocky mode" works as theorized, well, the extra Whs may help out there especially. ⚡

@LAnton just made his DIY 504 Wh softpack and is range testing it. So far, he said he's liking it with the range potential and power delivery if I understood his recent communication correctly.🤙

Last edited:

Myalteregohamish

Jan 4, 2023
Vancouver, WA
Ok, so I was going to ask all of you if you’re experiencing the same delays as I am. I am over a month beyond the original quoted date. Frustrating! On top of that I keep asking for pics of my painted frame, which is done and Linda keeps telling me “later I will send them”.

Myalteregohamish

Jan 4, 2023
Vancouver, WA
I own a KSL. That’s a tough bike to beat. I’ve ridden the FF kenevo and it’s nothing in comparison to the descending capabilities of the KSL. I would be impressed if they got in the ballpark with this frame.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
My frames have been done for a month waiting for Bafang motors and batteries. Motors arrived but batteries are still not supplied.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Ok, so I was going to ask all of you if you’re experiencing the same delays as I am. I am over a month beyond the original quoted date. Frustrating! On top of that I keep asking for pics of my painted frame, which is done and Linda keeps telling me “later I will send them”.
Yeah, that sucks! And definitely frustrating! Are considering the 720Wh battery option instead?

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
My frames have been done for a month waiting for Bafang motors and batteries. Motors arrived but batteries are still not supplied.
So, no 410wh yet, and 360Wh as well? WOW! That's aggravating!😵‍💫

So, ZSSZ is still engineering the 410Wh mount-tabs fix, but has the 410s.

And, the Bafang is behind in making their 360Wh battery. Again, frustrating for sure!🤯

Also, The 720Wh isn't shipping currently too?

forsa355

Jan 31, 2023
Canada
How long does Linda estimate on the 720Wh builds?
Jean told me they will be getting 20 more 720wh batteries next week and that with that supplier they have more control. But Bafang is the challenge for both motors and batteries. Hope they can amp up their production!

She also commented to me, as we've already seen, their in house 720wh mounts more securely to their frame as it bolts directly to the frame in several spots, whereas the Bafang 410wh battery only attaches at the ends to a bar that then bolts to the frame. We'll see what my final build weight comes out as... maybe I'll be fine with the monster battery :)

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Jean told me they will be getting 20 more 720wh batteries next week and that with that supplier they have more control. But Bafang is the challenge for both motors and batteries. Hope they can amp up their production!

She also commented to me, as we've already seen, their in house 720wh mounts more securely to their frame as it bolts directly to the frame in several spots, whereas the Bafang 410wh battery only attaches at the ends to a bar that then bolts to the frame. We'll see what my final build weight comes out as... maybe I'll be fine with the monster battery :)
Sweet on the forthcoming 720Whs!😎

Much appreciation for the fresh info! Well done!💪

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Is this not true for UDH?

I didn't know this. So you're saying a UDH (the hanger) will not bend or break to protect the rear derailleur/frame?

With SRAM Transmission, the concern that some have, is that with no 'fuse' in place as there is no hanger any longer to fail, that something more expensive will fail instead.

In reality AXS has a very robust clutch mechanism that gives way during side impacts. Since Eagle Transmission is literally held in place by the axle, well you'd have to break the axle to actually move the derailleur in that plane and damage the frame. Hint: the derailleur would fail first. Maybe not helpful since the derailleur cost as much as new chainstays.

What I do think is possible is for the Eagle Transmission to get snagged on the front edge and rotated straight back. This could potentially strip out the hanger receiver molds in the bikes CF chainstay, possibly destroying that interface.

IME, the old AXS is freaky strong and I ran it for years with only one problem where the battery would no longer hold a charge. New battery fixed it right up. That AXS after 3 years of abuse is now on my wife's bike cause she says her thumb hurts when she shifts cables.

I greatly prefer 11 speed cable shift personally. It's not a $ issue for me.

Myalteregohamish

Jan 4, 2023
Vancouver, WA
With SRAM Transmission, the concern that some have, is that with no 'fuse' in place as there is no hanger any longer to fail, that something more expensive will fail instead.

In reality AXS has a very robust clutch mechanism that gives way during side impacts. Since Eagle Transmission is literally held in place by the axle, well you'd have to break the axle to actually move the derailleur in that plane and damage the frame. Hint: the derailleur would fail first. Maybe not helpful since the derailleur cost as much as new chainstays.

What I do think is possible is for the Eagle Transmission to get snagged on the front edge and rotated straight back. This could potentially strip out the hanger receiver molds in the bikes CF chainstay, possibly destroying that interface.

IME, the old AXS is freaky strong and I ran it for years with only one problem where the battery would no longer hold a charge. New battery fixed it right up. That AXS after 3 years of abuse is now on my wife's bike cause she says her thumb hurts when she shifts cables.

I greatly prefer 11 speed cable shift personally. It's not a $ issue for me.
You’ve had AXS for three years? I’ve never heard of such a thing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles