SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I will not use the battery in the frame. Which is easier to charge the battery or the bike?. Also do not forget that the CEF50 is lighter by 500g LCE930. CEF50 BB Height is higher.
Yes. That can be a problem when traveling and/or no dedicated space in the home.😁
Screenshot_20230508-211013.png

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I'm assuming that was a rhetorical question.

How common is this hanger? Can I buy it from anywhere? lbs, ebay, aliex
It's described as a "standard" hanger. How would I even look it up to find?
It comes OE on the CEF50 frame. A "conventional" hanger spare can be purchased from Linda. It is $5 USD. I also posted this about 6 weeks ago on this thread. Got to keep up man.😁

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Please educate me.

edit: I'm not trying to be combative. I'm seriously interested in your opinion.
I can't speak for Mike, but the UDH and UDH-T (for the new AXS) certainly is beefy, high tech, and packed with digital accuracy goodies. But damn, I thought my "old" AXS GX was pricey, the new stuff is mind-blowingly NOT cheap.

Both SRAM and Shimano engineering apparently feel that the rear triangle and specifically the driveside chaintstay is robust enough to resist torsional strain. Most have seen the impact testing that is impressive. Plus, pro Enduro racers have been using the longest (1 year plus) without any leaked photos of a shredded carbon chainstay, but the "conventional" hanger is softer alloy made to bend by design under impact, saving the stay and possibly rear mech too.

Still too early really to flesh out the true drawbacks (other than a high pricepoint and maybe greater weight). The whole problem is the rear mech. Some viable solutions that are now on their way such as a lightweight IGH, and the gearbox motor as stated earlier. IMHO the IGH should have been advanced way back in the 1980s, when mtbs were first invented. The bendable hanger/rear mech was an inherited appendage that worked well for road bikes in smooth, flat, predictable conditions, but not on dirt conditions, especially narrow techy singletrack.

I'm no purist, I like my AXS GX for damn accurate shifting. Fortunately, it will be cheaper now that the new UDH AXS is out. Saving future 💸💸💸.

Last edited:

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
The only 'standard' derailleur hanger is the UDH and it works perfectly with all derailleurs, is cheap and available everywhere.

Not having a UDH is a major turnoff as I already have a high end '18 bike where the derailleur hangers, just aren't really available any longer.

There seems to be some confusion by some that UDH is only for Transmission. In actuality one must remove the UDH to run Eagle Transmission and this needs the exact cut out and spacing that UDH requires.

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
The only 'standard' derailleur hanger is the UDH and it works perfectly with all derailleurs, is cheap and available everywhere.

Not having a UDH is a major turnoff as I already have a high end '18 bike where the derailleur hangers, just aren't really available any longer.

There seems to be some confusion by some that UDH is only for Transmission. In actuality one must remove the UDH to run Eagle Transmission and this needs the exact cut out and spacing that UDH requires.
It doesn't matter to me, I can buy 10 pieces with a bike. It is important to me that now at the moment I can buy and enjoy the ride. UDH does not affect the quality of the frame and the pleasure of riding in any way. For me, the weight of the frame and the strength are important.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
UDH is totally backwards compatible, so i really don't understand what kind of advantage is to have some non universal solution?
Yep. That's my understanding as well. But apparently the CEF50 is not a UDH compatible frame. It uses a conventional hanger.

So, with a UDH I can run my old AXS GX on a UDH but not on the new SRAM AXS-T ("T" for transmission). So, yes backward compatible for UDH but no UDH-T type.

Nor will the old school conventional hanger be compatible on UDH frame. Again, that is NOT backward compatible with the new AXS-T rear mech either. Technically, the UDH itself on a UDH frame is completely replaced with the T-type for the new AXS-T transmission.

See the current article below...it's short a quick and clear.

Note, I did re-word my earlier response and just edited it.😉

Last edited:

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
To clarify: from Linda her photo. The CEF50 conventional hanger. Ergo the CEF50 is NOT a UDH compatible frame. Hope this helps.🫡

Screenshot_20230325-174723.png

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
As always, the file and the hammer are our best friend :) I can't imagine that someone would install a $1000 switch on an $800 frame.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
My picture of the UDH I sent Linda 6 weeks ago to clarify the frame type. The CEF50 is NOT UDH compatible. So, this hanger will not fit on the CEF50 frame.

But if it was a UDH frame, I still could use my old AXS GX = backwards compatibility.

However, I couldn't run the New T-type AXS transmission on the non-UDH frame like the conventional CEF50 frame, so no backwards compatibility.

The new AXS is T-Type UDH only.

Further clarification hopefully.😊

Screenshot_20230509-054342.png

Last edited:

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Sure, there is utility in the UDH. But if the frame manufacturer doesn't make one to fit the frame nothing can be done about it.

I always buy a spare or two to have handy for that specific frame--nothing new. Yep it's a pain to track one down.

The UDH is available at most bike shops. Sure, convenient when it bends and you don't have an immediate spare handy.

The UDH just stages the new UDH-T that is only Eagle-T AXS drivetrain compatible.

Advantage: So, if you want the newest stuff, the UDH frame is the way to go.

No Advantage: If you don't want the newest stuff, the conventional hanger frame still works with the same old tech AXS. The frame manufacturer has the conventional hangers, so I can get at least one spare!👍

Disadvantage: having a rear derailleur at all. 😉 I want a lightweight IGH instead of the Eagle-T AXS. But in the meantime, I'm happy with old, now cheaper AXS.💸

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Please educate me.

edit: I'm not trying to be combative. I'm seriously interested in your opinion.
SO I give up a cheap replaceable derailleur hanger that breaks if I get into a crash for one that rips off my whole chain/seat stays in a crash.
I am never going to buy SRAMS $1500 Transmission so why would I want UDH?

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Yep. That's my understanding as well. But apparently the CEF50 is not a UDH compatible frame. It uses a conventional hanger.

So, with a UDH I can run my old AXS GX on a UDH but not on the new SRAM AXS-T ("T" for transmission). So, yes backward compatible for UDH but no UDH-T type.

Nor will the old school conventional hanger be compatible on UDH frame. Again, that is NOT backward compatible with the new AXS-T rear mech either. Technically, the UDH itself on a UDH frame is completely replaced with the T-type for the new AXS-T transmission.

See the current article below...it's short a quick and clear.

Note, I did re-word my earlier response and just edited it.😉

You are still confused.

UDH works with all derailleurs, but you can only run Transmission if the bike came with UDH. That is all.

The other stuff you are saying is gibberish (not trying to be rude).

Anyways, in this frame price range no UDH isn't a big deal and I have no intention of ever running Transmission on any bike. However, just as a matter of convenience and resale value I'd never buy a new high end MTB that didn't use UDH.

Transmission doesn't use a derailleur hanger at all in large part because many derailleur hangers flex and AXS has been flexing lesser hangers and causing shifting issues on some bikes, for years.

Also, the UDH is plastic and when it fails it mostly strips out and rotates. I carry a spare (without the bolt as the bolt doesn't fail) in my SWAT box and it only weighs 14 grams anyways.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
You are still confused.

UDH works with all derailleurs, but you can only run Transmission if the bike came with UDH. That is all.

The other stuff you are saying is gibberish (not trying to be rude).

Anyways, in this frame price range no UDH isn't a big deal and I have no intention of ever running Transmission on any bike. However, just as a matter of convenience and resale value I'd never buy a new high end MTB that didn't use UDH.

Transmission doesn't use a derailleur hanger at all in large part because many derailleur hangers flex and AXS has been flexing lesser hangers and causing shifting issues on some bikes, for years.

Also, the UDH is plastic and when it fails it mostly strips out and rotates. I carry a spare (without the bolt as the bolt doesn't fail) in my SWAT box and it only weighs 14 grams anyways.
Sorry NOT confused.

Agreed UDH works with any derailleur, except the new UDH-T AXS. You physically have to take off/remove the "old' UDH to use the new UDH-T derailleur/rear mech.

Right?

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
The direct mount T-type derailleur "hanger". It's true my first language is indeed English. But I'll try to speak more fluent, non-gibberish in the future for you.😘

Screenshot_20230509-070858.png

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
There is no such thing as a 'new UDH-T AXS'.

You simply remove the UDH, and install the new Eagle Transmission in it's place. Transmission does not use a hanger at all, but does need the exact spacing left by the removal of the UDH to fit a frame correctly.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
There is no such thing as a 'new UDH-T AXS'.

You simply remove the UDH, and install the new Eagle Transmission in it's place. Transmission does not use a hanger at all, but does need the exact spacing left by the removal of the UDH to fit a frame correctly.
Damn dude. Need some caffeine to calm down. 😉

Yep. As I said, and you said, remove UDH in order to use the direct mount T-type "hanger". So, correct no hanger at all.

Yes, guilty. I used the term "UDH-T AXS" to attempt to clarify that the new AXS only works with "T" for transmission. I didn't work for you. You got me. Let's move on. 😁

So agreed! the new Eagle has no hanger...it's direct mount that uses the UDH frame.

Correct? Less gibberish for you? 🫡

Last edited:

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Damn dude. Need some caffeine to calm down. 😉

Yep. As I said, and you said, remove UDH in order to use the direct mount T-type "hanger". So, correct no hanger at all.

Yes, guilty. I used the term "UDH-T AXS" to attempt to clarify that the new AXS only works with "T" for transmission. I didn't work for you. You got me. Let's move on. 😁

So agreed! the new Eagle has no hanger...it's direct mount that uses the UDH frame.

Correct? Less gibberish for you? 🫡
Sorry, my Asperger's demands a quest for clarity and accuracy to the point of annoying others at times. Apologies! 😉

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles