Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Yeah the boys there are pretty cool. I spend too much money every time I go there. Great shop!
Bike looks awesome mate! Can’t wait to hear your thoughts, even though I know what they will be.

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
Thank mate! I'll definitely report back once I've got it.
Thanks for all the advice. I laboured hard over S4 vs S5 but I think I made the right choice.

• Agree
Reactions: CjP

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
FerreX primer gray was a little bit dull, so have to attach some decals

IMG_1646.jpeg

IMG_1650.jpeg

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
100% eats the previous Generations. In all areas bar climbing. Above the 25km cutout on flat to small inclines it also leaves them for dust. I ride with a Gen 1 and Gen 2 and yeah no problem.
Only other thing I would say is for me on loose, flat, fast corners I felt more confident on the heavier bikes because they were more planted and I felt like I was getting more traction.

But on hucks to flat and large compressions the KSL was night and day better.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Received some volume spacers for my X2 shock so figured I would have a play around with the air shock on my next ride. Always a great leveler when you revert back to a previous shock to give some clear feedback to yourself on whether or not you just wished your new shock was better or if it actually is :)

The DVO Jade with 475-575 coil has been fantastic. There is possibly a touch too much HSC but overall I'm happy with it.

@jcmonty FYI it is a 65mm shock but the spring perch has a 2.5mm shelf so stroke is standard 62.5mm (I just discovered that when I removed the spring).

Last edited:

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Only other thing I would say is for me on loose, flat, fast corners I felt more confident on the heavier bikes because they were more planted and I felt like I was getting more traction.

But on hucks to flat and large compressions the KSL was night and day better.
Yeah I know what you mean. My previous SL felt that.
My KSL weighs 19.5 and 20.5 with the extender so feels more planted.

Feb 18, 2021
Central Switzerland
I did a mistake about two months ago.. I sold my FF kenevo and bought a Bullit my local bike Shop had in Stock. The Bullit felt as rock solid as the kenevo but more agile at the same time. But, I didn't get used to the EP8.
So, yesterday I sold the Bullit (easy Job as none is available elsewhere..) and checked out the local bike dealer again. I only knew: back to Specialized. Wanted to check the new Levo Expert Carbon and maybe the Kenevo SL with that mini Motor. Sat on the Levo, then the Kenevo and boom! Perfect fit! Loved it right away.. Then I turned on the Motor and rode down the street. Easy. Felt good. So I went up a hill (20% rise I'd say) and I got totally confused.
Just looking at the numbers I was expecting to reach less than half the speed of a FF and/or to sweat like hell.. But, I didn't at all! As soon as it's getting harder you just shift and keep your cadence around 100 and it's so easy to ride uphill! (that's where the EP8 sucks..) Really really didn't expect that much Power from the SL!

So, I bought that yellow banana boat right away and can't wait to pick it up and go into the mountains.
Sure, I won't ride my uphills like 20kmh anymore, but 15kmh instead and enjoy the downs even more then. Because that bike feels so great and light. Those 4kg compared to the Bullit are big and again 2 more to the FF kenevo are crazy.

So to everyone looking at the bike like: "Great geo/specs etc, but that old mini Motor.." - > go and ride one! I love it and never expected that because I ride FF ebikes since the first Levo came out. But the dealer told me: you won't be happy with that bike if you like to ride your FF in turbo/boost at a cadence of 20 or so.. There are a LOT of people out there riding like 100yrs old do around the lake.. :p
High cadence is the key here..

Feb 18, 2021
Central Switzerland
I tried them on another bike back to back with a set of one up carbon bars and there is definitely less chatter felt thru the bars. Bigger single sharp hits are lessened also. I now prefer the 12 degree sweep too.
Is that the sqlab 3ox Carbon bar u're using? What stem did u combine that with? I'm considering that bar with the sqlab 35mm fabio wibmer stem..

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Is that the sqlab 3ox Carbon bar u're using? What stem did u combine that with? I'm considering that bar with the sqlab 35mm fabio wibmer stem..
I'm using the Fasst Flex carbon bars at 12 degree's with an Industry Nine 40mm stem.

Michaelhe

Feb 12, 2020
Thinking of purchase the kenevo SL, I would like some guidance from current lucky owners. I’m 176cm(little over5’9) height, ideal RAD/reach is 437 (from joyriders height x2.5 formula;). Although the size chart puts me in a S3, but after chewing the geo numbers, I’m almost landed on S2 but not sure if I am making a mistake here.

The reason of going S2 is because going faster isn’t what I’m looking for but playful and poppy park bike, wheelbase 1258 reach 460 of a S3 is a little too long (plus extra weight) for me to throw the bike around. I can ride it but it won’t be as fun as a shorter bike for my height. I compared to Levo SL S3/M (recommend for my size) and Trek remedy Medium/large (my current ride) the reach is the same, the obvious difference is KSL S2 size has slacker HTA and longer wheelbase, which is great for gnarly descending (both Levo SL and trek remedy has it limits on drops and gnarly trails for being a steeper HTA trail bike)

So looking at the number KSL S2 is like a slacker and longer version of a Levo SL/ Trek remedy. Due to Covid lockdown and stock availability, there isn’t test bikes for me to try both S3 & S2 on to help me to decide, any help/guidance is appreciated! :)

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I am a couple cm taller than you and am running an S3 KSL. Had a large Levo SL before that and feels a similar cockpit size but longer wheel base. If you want poppy and playful go the S2, they are big bikes.

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
Thinking of purchase the kenevo SL, I would like some guidance from current lucky owners. I’m 176cm(little over5’9) height, ideal RAD/reach is 437 (from joyriders height x2.5 formula;). Although the size chart puts me in a S3, but after chewing the geo numbers, I’m almost landed on S2 but not sure if I am making a mistake here.

The reason of going S2 is because going faster isn’t what I’m looking for but playful and poppy park bike, wheelbase 1258 reach 460 of a S3 is a little too long (plus extra weight) for me to throw the bike around. I can ride it but it won’t be as fun as a shorter bike for my height. I compared to Levo SL S3/M (recommend for my size) and Trek remedy Medium/large (my current ride) the reach is the same, the obvious difference is KSL S2 size has slacker HTA and longer wheelbase, which is great for gnarly descending (both Levo SL and trek remedy has it limits on drops and gnarly trails for being a steeper HTA trail bike)

So looking at the number KSL S2 is like a slacker and longer version of a Levo SL/ Trek remedy. Due to Covid lockdown and stock availability, there isn’t test bikes for me to try both S3 & S2 on to help me to decide, any help/guidance is appreciated! :)

I'm an inch taller than you. I ride an S3. About perfect fit. I could also ride an S4 or even an S2, but for me at least on the S3, I find the cockpit a biy cramped going DH. Not so much going up or on flats.

If you are looking for a poppy bike, the K-SL is anything but. It's a DH Monster truck that sticks like glue. But poppy it is not. It's also a great trail bike, but DH is where it excels. I'd go Levo SL or analog if poppy is what you're after. Otherwise, a great bike, but sounds like DH isn't your thing, which is where the K-SL excels.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I'm an inch taller than you. I ride an S3. About perfect fit. I could also ride an S4 or even an S2, but for me at least on the S3, I find the cockpit a biy cramped going DH. Not so much going up or on flats.

If you are looking for a poppy bike, the K-SL is anything but. It's a DH Monster truck that sticks like glue. But poppy it is not. It's also a great trail bike, but DH is where it excels. I'd go Levo SL or analog if poppy is what you're after. Otherwise, a great bike, but sounds like DH isn't your thing, which is where the K-SL excels.

I tend to agree. If you want a poppy, nimble trail bike , the 42lb slack, dh slayer ksl is not going to be your ticket. Can it “pop” ? Sure, but it takes more effort. You can mess with the geo to make it quicker steering and more agile, but you still have the gobs of travel and weight to contend with

I have done quite a bit of park riding, and while it’s fine in jump trails, it really comes alive on the steep, nasty stuff or the high Speed trails. Everything is better with speed on this bike

Michaelhe

Feb 12, 2020
I tend to agree. If you want a poppy, nimble trail bike , the 42lb slack, dh slayer ksl is not going to be your ticket. Can it “pop” ? Sure, but it takes more effort. You can mess with the geo to make it quicker steering and more agile, but you still have the gobs of travel and weight to contend with

I have done quite a bit of park riding, and while it’s fine in jump trails, it really comes alive on the steep, nasty stuff or the high Speed trails. Everything is better with speed on this bike

Thanks for sharing your experience! I agree long travel and the extra weight will be harder to maneuver. Probably one of the reason I want the bike to be a little shorter.

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal

42 lbs? Mine tips the scale at 44.80 lbs. :confused:

AdmChr

E*POWAH Master
Nov 21, 2019
SWPA
I weighed mine the day I brought it home, so with tubes (no pedals) it was 40.23 lbs. I've swapped a bunch of stuff so I'm curious to see if it's more or less now. Next time I wash it, I'll weigh it again.

(sorry for the messy shop, but it is where the magic happens ✨;) )
A361A12D-581F-4D90-8CB3-578FCC6BE12D_1_201_a.jpeg

soso79

Feb 19, 2021
Germany
KSL.jpg

Bike is ready except for cranks, which will not come until the end of September - 165mm carbon.

Now weighs 19.2 kilos in S4 with coil and 1350 + 1380 grams of tires.

-DT Swiss EXC1200
-Michelin Wild Enduro Racing Line Front + Rear
-XX1 drivetrain complete
-Syntace 40mm stem
-Syntace pedals
-Enve Minaarbar 2
-Deathgrip
-MT7 with XTR Disc
-EXT Storia V3 with 525 spring and 65 stroke
-Fork on 180mm and Hopp Carbon Parts
-Specialized DH Expert saddle
-Revive with 160mm and Wolftooth lever
-Ti screws

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Thanks for sharing your experience! I agree long travel and the extra weight will be harder to maneuver. Probably one of the reason I want the bike to be a little shorter.
Where are you located? My friends shop has an S2 in stock you could throw a leg over if you happen to be in Northern California.

Michaelhe

Feb 12, 2020
Where are you located? My friends shop has an S2 in stock you could throw a leg over if you happen to be in Northern California.
Hey thanks for the info! I’m in New Zealand where currently in mid of COVID lockdown?
After further search and talking to more people, almost land on S3, the 460 reach is a tad too long than what I need but I can get a shorter stem, the longer wheelbase I will just need to get use to or possible looking at mullet option. ?

Snoman

Apr 13, 2021
British Columbia
I wish i could throw a leg over an S2 ... just rode a S3 S-WORKS today and if felt decent, maybe a little on the large size for me. I can tell even a S2 is gonna feel like a bike bike. STOKED for the day i get one!

Michaelhe

Feb 12, 2020
I wish i could throw a leg over an S2 ... just rode a S3 S-WORKS today and if felt decent, maybe a little on the large size for me. I can tell even a S2 is gonna feel like a bike bike. STOKED for the day i get one!
Great to hear that you are happy with the bike!
If you don’t mind me asking, what’s your height? And what type of trails and your riding style?

Last edited:

Snoman

Apr 13, 2021
British Columbia
Great to hear that you are happy with the bike!
If you don’t mind me asking, what’s your height? And what type of trails and your reading style?
I like the bike for sure but didn't pull the trigger ... kinda hoping for a Expert S2

My reading style is internet and social medial!!! LOL I ride bike park and classic loose/steep single track and twisty single track as well as bike park. I think the Kenevo SL wont be much of an adjustment from my Slayer by the feel of it.

I am 5'7 with 30" inseem ... so the S3 is RAD++ so optimally i am an S2 spec guy. I have a deposit/payment on an S2 Expert. I find out next week when it is supposed to be delivered

Michaelhe

Feb 12, 2020
Lol sorry for the spelling mistake, and Congratulations on your new purchase!
I ride similar trails to yours. My previous bike is 22 trek slash M/L, with a reach of 469 and a short chainstay. Very capable bike and race-feel, the only thing I wish was a shorter reach, it was a little difficult for me to throw it around in the bike park because I was overstretched on the bike, but on fast steep descend it’s a brilliant bike.. I'm 176cm (5’9) S3 for me also a RAD+, i think it will fit me better than the S2 I haven’t yet been able to test ride the bike. But I think I will probably go S3. Shame I am right in between two sizes.

Snoman

Apr 13, 2021
British Columbia
Upon learning the RAD measurements I setup 2 of my bikes as close as i could to ground to knuckle (clinched hand) with riding shoes on ... the theory works because it is totally a different handling bike(s). In my experience i would not purchase a RAD+ bike unless you want the straight down plow through everything feel.

I have a 2020 Rocky Slayer M at RAD+ because the frame doesn't' get shorter and a 2021 Spec Levo Turbo Hardtail at RAD ... both benefited in a positive way with shorter stem and lower rise bars. The Kenevo SL S3 with a shorter stem and zero rise bars would be RAD+ ... S2 specs out as RAD RAD!!! But i have not been able to ride that to confirm

I would say if you want nibble to toss the bike around and some good pop the get RAD- (-10 to -20mm) from my experience. You can always add stem length to bridge the gap between S2 and S3 a little ... you can't take away frame!

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
View attachment 70234
Bike is ready except for cranks, which will not come until the end of September - 165mm carbon.

Now weighs 19.2 kilos in S4 with coil and 1350 + 1380 grams of tires.

-DT Swiss EXC1200
-Michelin Wild Enduro Racing Line Front + Rear
-XX1 drivetrain complete
-Syntace 40mm stem
-Syntace pedals
-Enve Minaarbar 2
-Deathgrip
-MT7 with XTR Disc
-EXT Storia V3 with 525 spring and 65 stroke
-Fork on 180mm and Hopp Carbon Parts
-Specialized DH Expert saddle
-Revive with 160mm and Wolftooth lever
-Ti screws

Nice Storia! I was looking at getting one too - could you please share the hardware measurements?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles