SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

spokémon

Apr 4, 2023
Australia
Yap at the moment coil shock may not work but linda told me they are redesign it to make it work on coil. Sorry typing error, i am getting 210x55 not 200.

if you run 29" on the rear with 210x55, remember to check clearance on full compression. I don't remember hearing anyone running this combo.

kimochi

Feb 16, 2021
California
hi, I have a question, are official bafang batteries reliable and have lower risk of catching fire, exploding up my as..? this is my first time doing diy ebike and can't shake that image off my mind. ;) i don't plan on building my own battery but using the 410wh one.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
hi, I have a question, are official bafang batteries reliable and have lower risk of catching fire, exploding up my as..? this is my first time doing diy ebike and can't shake that image off my mind. ;) i don't plan on building my own battery but using the 410wh one.
Nobody knows.

petkevich

Jun 6, 2023
San Diego
Here's a video I made showing a detailed view and build of the CEF50 frame and M820 motor. Once I get a few more rides in, I'll be creating a detailed review of both the frame and motor.
Can I get your build spec? I just finished mine and want to compare on weight and costing

forsa355

Jan 31, 2023
Canada
Can I get your build spec? I just finished mine and want to compare on weight and costing
look at the description of this video... I have most of the components linked there. Other than those, I used a Rockshox Yari 160mm fork, Fox float shock, deity saddle, and Chromag ranger shorty stem. Could be a lot lighter with better compents and a smaller battery (I have the 720 battery)

petkevich

Jun 6, 2023
San Diego
Here's a video I made showing a detailed view and build of the CEF50 frame and M820 motor. Once I get a few more rides in, I'll be creating a detailed review of both the frame and motor.

petkevich

Jun 6, 2023
San Diego
My m820 CEF 50 size L build 720w battery. Fox 36, Rhythm Fox float X (new from Levo takeoff). Lightcarbon carbon enduro wheels 29/27.5 with DT Swiss hubs, SRAM Code R brakes with 203mm rotors(new takeoffs), SRAM AXS GX, 11 speed SRAM GX cassette, Nukeproof carbon bar, 200m TranzX dropper. Scwalbe Eddy Current rear and Spez Butcher Grid Gravity front tires setup tubeless. 22kg final weight, target was 20kg
🙁

1st ride notes:
17miles, 2k climbing with 71% battery left.

Fox suspension is awesome. Plows thru the chunky gnar like hot butter and on my typical jumps feels great. Feels lighter than my levo, more flickable. Love the low seat tube height as I can really slam the seat on the steeps. Geometry feels similar to my levo.

Negatives, motor whines under load big time, have to have high cadence or it's not going anywhere on the steeps, rode in S+ equal to 4 and had to hit boost on super steeps. I went for 11 speed on this build for a beefier chain then a 12 speed chain as I never used over 10 in other bikes but with this "light" motor you will use the 12th gear. There is a clunk in the motor on downhills. Probably similar to ep8? There is no kick when you engage like Bosch or brose. Think the tuning is for a commuter bike. Need to see if we can play with it. I did my normal test track and I had to use alot more legs to do it. On the tarmac it's fine, that's why I think it's tuned for commuter riding.

Carbon rims and dt Swiss hubs are epic. Rolls fast. Sram code r brakes are good but need to re step up. AXS shifting different then cable shifters dynamics, need to re learn as I'm not smooth yet.

Net net, super fun pointed downhill, more work going up with wrong tuning on motor for technical eMTBing.

PXL_20230915_014011762~2-01.jpeg Screenshot_20230914-200400 (1).png

spokémon

Apr 4, 2023
Australia
My m820 CEF 50 size L build 720w battery. Fox 36, Rhythm Fox float X (new from Levo takeoff). Lightcarbon carbon enduro wheels 29/27.5 with DT Swiss hubs, SRAM Code R brakes with 203mm rotors(new takeoffs), SRAM AXS GX, 11 speed SRAM GX cassette, Nukeproof carbon bar, 200m TranzX dropper. Scwalbe Eddy Current rear and Spez Butcher Grid Gravity front tires setup tubeless. 22kg final weight, target was 20kg
🙁

1st ride notes:

Fox suspension is awesome. Plows thru the chunky gnar like hot butter and on my typical jumps feels great. Feels lighter than my levo, more flickable. Love the low seat tube height as I can really slam the seat on the steeps. Geometry feels similar to my levo.

Negatives, motor whines under load big time, have to have high cadence or it's not going anywhere on the steeps, rode in S+ equal to 4 and had to hit boost on super steeps. I went for 11 speed on this build for a beefier chain then a 12 speed chain as I never used over 10 in other bikes but with this "light" motor you will use the 12th gear. There is a clunk in the motor on downhills. Probably similar to ep8? There is no kick when you engage like Bosch or brose. Think the tuning is for a commuter bike. Need to see if we can play with it. I did my normal test track and I had to use alot more legs to do it. On the tarmac it's fine, that's why I think it's tuned for commuter riding.

Carbon rims and dt Swiss hubs are epic. Rolls fast. Sram code r brakes are good but need to re step up. AXS shifting different then cable shifters dynamics, need to re learn as I'm not smooth yet.

Net net, super fun pointed downhill, more work going up with wrong tuning on motor for technical eMTBing.

View attachment 124916 View attachment 124917

Do you have Bafang GO+ app to tune your motor? or BESST tool?

spokémon

Apr 4, 2023
Australia
both, Bafang go is only good to update firmware, no motor control panel. I have CAN BESST tool but do I need a login for Shaozheng as the OEM bike vendor?

Bafang GO is useless. You need Bafang GO+ app. But it currently only works with DP C245 v3 (MUST be v3)
This will allow you to tune your motor. It wont set wheel size and max speed. You can look at the screenshots on the app-stores

I don't have BESST, so I can't help.

petkevich

Jun 6, 2023
San Diego
Bafang GO is useless. You need Bafang GO+ app. But it currently only works with DP C245 v3 (MUST be v3)
This will allow you to tune your motor. It wont set wheel size and max speed. You can look at the screenshots on the app-stores

I don't have BESST, so I can't help.
Let me download it and try. Tha is for the help

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
🙁

1st ride notes:

how you do to make functioning AXS with 11 speed cassette ? i tried and never can.

petkevich

Jun 6, 2023
San Diego
Anyone know how to get the m820 cranks off? They aren't coming off. Need to remove the motor to check the wiring connections, getting error 21, speed sensor error

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Anyone know how to get the m820 cranks off? They aren't coming off. Need to remove the motor to check the wiring connections, getting error 21, speed sensor error
Did the sensor rotate around the fixing screw causing it to miss the magnet?

petkevich

Jun 6, 2023
San Diego
Did the sensor rotate around the fixing screw causing it to miss the magnet?
Nope, the speed sensor cable came out of the motor. It was my 2nd ride and was in the absolute middle of nowhere and had to pedal out with no motor. Good news is it pedals great, no drag and wasn't that bad. Purchased a crank arm puller at REI. All is well.

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
Nope, the speed sensor cable came out of the motor. It was my 2nd ride and was in the absolute middle of nowhere and had to pedal out with no motor. Good news is it pedals great, no drag and wasn't that bad. Purchased a crank arm puller at REI. All is well.
I was able to remove the crank arm without the proper tool by removing the screw and pedaling hard. I did few wheelies, the cranck arm just came out easily !

Pinkee

Jul 5, 2023
Australia
🙁

1st ride notes:

Keen to hear more about the rims. About to pull the trigger on Jim's rims but haven't found anybody else that has bought them.

Which spec did you get? (Rim and spoke type).

calvintys

Sep 12, 2023
Malaysia
Keen to hear more about the rims. About to pull the trigger on Jim's rims but haven't found anybody else that has bought them.

Which spec did you get? (Rim and spoke type).
Base on my experience any Chinese carbon rim will stronger then any branded alloy wheel. I try before hammer a branded alloy rim n its dent so easily without much afford BUT cheap carbon rim, u need to hit it hard in order to crack it.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
I have built 4 sets of wheels by this vendor. Very happy with the product and service. You must specify the number of holes or you will get 28h by default.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles