E82 Dengfu frame now available

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
I've been told by DengFu yesterday, that Large size production will start in July, with first frames available at the end of the month.
Haven't asked about frame/motor/battery combos yet, nor if a frame cable routing will be available (I'd prefer this way).
By the way, not sure at the moment if I'll go with this heavy enduro oriented build (180F/170R travel) or a LightCarbon with M820...This will be my first ebike and I already have carbon wheelset for a trail oriented build, but trails around me are a bit nasty and full of volcanic rocks, where I sometime struggle with my 130mm acoustic bike.
Other than that, I have no idea about how strong is a M820 on a 18/19kg bike...

I went with Lightcarbon LCE971 with m560. Bought 160mm Fox 36 performance elite for it and RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate.

Alessio77

Jun 1, 2024
Canary Islands
More chat with DengFu today and I discovered that this frame also accept a 230x65mm rear shock, thus reaching 185 mm of travel as per attached geo chart; interesting if building it as a big enduro/ freeride bike when paired to a 180mm fork IMHO.
Another important aspect is that they're now providing E82 frames with a conventional internal cable routing instead of the ICR.
E82 geo charts.jpg

Alessio77

Jun 1, 2024
Canary Islands
I went with Lightcarbon LCE971 with m560. Bought 160mm Fox 36 performance elite for it and RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate.
I'd like to hear your feedback about that powerful motor.
If LCE971 suspension kinematics is well thought out, you'll enjoy it; I've had Intense VPP frames and they were playful !

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
I'd like to hear your feedback about that powerful motor.
If LCE971 suspension kinematics is well thought out, you'll enjoy it; I've had Intense VPP frames and they were playful !
From what I have heard from others they really like the VPP system. The shock mounting style in the dengfu e82 is more suitable for trail bikes.

I'll make a build thread here once I get my bike done!

Only shock bushings missing... lost in mail sadly..

Freda

Feb 5, 2023
Vaasa
More chat with DengFu today and I discovered that this frame also accept a 230x65mm rear shock, thus reaching 185 mm of travel as per attached geo chart; interesting if building it as a big enduro/ freeride bike when paired to a 180mm fork IMHO.
Another important aspect is that they're now providing E82 frames with a conventional internal cable routing instead of the ICR. View attachment 142673
This is a very interesting frame, but the geo chart is weird. 185mm travel would be nice for a full enduro with 180-190mm fork. According to geo chart axle to crown is 564mm, that is a 150mm travel fork. Even with less travel shock(60mm) that is not enough.
Of course you can just put a longer fork but that would mess up the geo. It is not very confidence inspiring when manufacturers cannot even get the geo chart right!

Alessio77

Jun 1, 2024
Canary Islands
This is a very interesting frame, but the geo chart is weird. 185mm travel would be nice for a full enduro with 180-190mm fork. According to geo chart axle to crown is 564mm, that is a 150mm travel fork. Even with less travel shock(60mm) that is not enough.
Of course you can just put a longer fork but that would mess up the geo. It is not very confidence inspiring when manufacturers cannot even get the geo chart right!
Yeah, I've noted it...pretty common with chinese manufacturers.
By the way, I'll try to clarify that A/C length and geo chart numbers with DengFu; it sounds a bit strange to me that they "put" a 150mm fork with a 170mm rear travel.
I think 180 fork and 170 rear travel should be enough, even for the gnarliest trail surrounding me; clearance under the motor seems good too

Alessio77

Jun 1, 2024
Canary Islands
After some more chat with DengFu, this is what they told me...with a short stroke rear shock of 210x50mm (they call it "E-Suv") configuration, they recommend a 150mm fork.
With 230x60 the reported A/C length is 590mm, that means a 180mm fork, way more appropriate.
I think there's at least a typo in the long stroke geo chart; by the way they said that it will be updated after the new frames will be finished.
@_gregor would you mind measuring your steerer angle please? I think you're running a pair 27,5" setup with a 180mm fork, is it right?

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
After some more chat with DengFu, this is what they told me...with a short stroke rear shock of 210x50mm (they call it "E-Suv") configuration, they recommend a 150mm fork.
With 230x60 the reported A/C length is 590mm, that means a 180mm fork, way more appropriate.
I think there's at least a typo in the long stroke geo chart; by the way they said that it will be updated after the new frames will be finished.
@_gregor would you mind measuring your steerer angle please? I think you're running a pair 27,5" setup with a 180mm fork, is it right?
interesting to know BB height (and wheels size) with all of these configurations ? Performed with exactly same frame assembly (links ? flip chip ? base ?) ?

Alessio77

Jun 1, 2024
Canary Islands
interesting to know BB height (and wheels size) with all of these configurations ? Performed with exactly same frame assembly (links ? flip chip ? base ?) ?
From what I know, DengFu have 3 different yokes, I imagine that a customer could ask them to swap it.
When I'll build mine E82, I'll post measurements; at the moment my plan is a mullet/MX, 170/180 fork and 185 rear stroke, but this could change in the next weeks, as I don't have any components yet and I need a Large size.

Alessio77

Jun 1, 2024
Canary Islands

in this short video that DengFu sent me today, there's a clear simulation of rear suspension dynamic @maximum/minimum shock strokes, reaching 191mm max travel with a 230x65mm shock...quite impressive in my opinion !

agro_86

Jul 6, 2022
Australia
hi
I'm very interested in building an E82. I've owed an E22 for about 2 years now and found that the ultra is more power than what is needed as well as extra weight.
now that I know the E82 has 180mm+ of rear travel and can accept all the parts on my E22 I am very keen.
However over the time I have owned the E22 I've also found that a 15ah battery is also more than I need as I have reduced the power on the motor via the computer software.

My goal is to use Samsung 50E cells 13S2P from my current E22 battery. Aiming for a 2kg battery. Ideally I would love to be able to setup battery communication to the motor in order to get the battery info on the display. Is this possible? Does anyone know which bms bafang is using and where I could get one or will I have to use a Bluetooth bms to get this information

My other concern is the headtube cable routing. I'm aware alessio77 posted on the 24th of June that Dengfu was offering a solution with normal internal routing. I've contacted Dengfu regarding this and I was sent this picture to show what that would look like. I do prefer the look of the headtube routing although I'd rather avoid issues. I am not concerned with the servicing aspect. I'm wondering is the redesign of the headset solved the problem satisfactorily?

Final question is regarding the shock bushings. Does the frame come with all the shock mounting hardware or will I need to order bushing from else where as I had to do for the E22?

06b349a2-aa50-4a18-87b9-4426a2ade7fc.png

_gregor

Mar 16, 2024
Poland
Thanks for the answer!
Can you give us some impressions and feelings on how this bike ride? Does it have an active rear suspension, is it playful?
The bike is very nice to ride. It feels short compared to my exess. While it is useful in the mountains, it is less convenient on asphalt roads. I feel very confident on descents, the wheel does not slip away, the weight is well distributed. As for the rear suspension, it also works well with my RS Super Deluxe 230x62.5. I have nothing to complain about. The downside is definitely the too long crank arms, I will try to replace them with shorter ones in the near future. I've hit them on rocks many times. Another disadvantage is the battery that rattles in the frame, I solved it by gluing foam. Now it sits stiffly and there is no more banging noise when driving over bumps. The BMS in my battery that was purchased with the frame failed. My friend had exactly the same situation. Fortunately, Dengfu arranged for the BMS to be replaced in my country. It lasted about a month. The failure was that the battery provided voltage but did not want to charge. Additionally, CAN communication stopped working.

blazo

May 22, 2024
Poland
Ok, I noticed the same. I chatted with dengfu, and they told me there are two version of frame ( SUV and PRO), BUT the frame is the same, only rear shock and shock yoke are different. Travel goes from 150mm (210x50mm) to even 190mm (with 230x65). BUT fork lenght stays the same 564mm. They told me that in the PRO you go with 590mm fork, but it changes geometry like in my photo.. (BB drop only -12mm, and steeper HT angle, also shorter reach etc).
It would be perfect if any manufacturer make a frame with 170mm or more rear travel but design it for the longer fork from the beginning. You cannot simply put longer fork and call it PRO.

Screenshot 2024-07-15 at 10.24.42 AM.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles