Assembly frame LightCarbon LCE971 bafang M510 (By Denver)

Goff

Mar 2, 2023
New Zealand
The M510 I have uses Bafang spline not ISIS
I run 160 Miranda cranks which perfect for me
Cold-Forged Aluminium E-Bike Cranks for Bafang engines Compatible with at least the following engines: Bafang M420 Bafang M500 Bafang M600 Bafang M800 Cold forg…

https://mirandabikestore.com

IMG_1373.jpeg

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA
The M510 I have uses Bafang spline not ISIS
I run 160 Miranda cranks which perfect for me
Cold-Forged Aluminium E-Bike Cranks for Bafang engines Compatible with at least the following engines: Bafang M420 Bafang M500 Bafang M600 Bafang M800 Cold forg…

https://mirandabikestore.com

View attachment 141535
I’ll have to wait and see what it looks like when I get it. These Lekkie cranks seem to be compatible with all the usual Bosch/Brose/Yamaha, but also list the M620. I thought the Bafang motors aside from the BB series would have all been the same but maybe not. I swear I saw it said the M560 were ISIS cranks somewhere, but now I can’t find it.

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA
Yes the M620 and M820 have ISIS, some of the early M500 did too.
Makes sense, so newer stuff was switching to ISIS maybe? Any idea on the 560? I’ll find out soon enough. I ended up getting the group set without the cranks anyway, the GX AXS is hard to come by right now and since I wasn’t sure I just got it without.

Denver

Dec 28, 2023
Switzerland
This is the sort of response I expected to just throwing a mullet setup on a bike not necessarily designed for it. Seems like a surprising number of bikes do come in both options. I was planning on 160mm of front travel on whatever I do. Still haven’t purchased any of my other components yet, got plenty of time before my frame and motor will get here to decide.

One question I’ve been trying to find an answer on: Is the crank spline on the 510/600/620/560 etc compatible with any of the other big brands? I wanted to use something a little shorter than the stock 170mm and would just get them included with my SRAM group set I’ve been eyeing if they’d work. They seem to offer different options for Brose or Bosch, would either of those work on the Bafang? They all seem to say ISIS compatible but I don’t know exactly what that specifies.
Honestly, for all-mountain riding, the 29" wheel size is clearly better. It makes obstacles easier to navigate and the bike rolls more efficiently.

Regarding the crank arms :
As shown in the photo below, the M420, M500, M510, M560, M600, and M800 all use Bafang proprietary cranks (BFG).

Crankarm Interface.jpg

Therefore, they are not compatible with "ISIS" cranks. I can confirm this with certainty because I tried swapping the cranks from my Bafang M620 to my Bafang M510, and indeed, the splines are different. The only two Bafang motors compatible with ISIS are :
- Bafang M620
- Bafang M820

You can always check the Bafang website for compatibility of various components :

If you want to buy different sizes, you can get them here:

Regarding the new Bafang M560, I can't say for certain that they use the "BFG" models, but it is very likely.
Sayonara should be able to confirm this soon since he is expected to receive his latest generation M560 shortly.

Crankarm BFG Datasheet.jpg
Compatiblity Model Motor.jpg

Last edited:

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA
Honestly, for all-mountain riding, the 29" wheel size is clearly better. It makes obstacles easier to navigate and the bike rolls more efficiently.

As shown in the photo below, the M420, M500, M510, M560, M600, and M800 all use Bafang proprietary cranks (BFG).

View attachment 141590

Therefore, they are not compatible with "ISIS" cranks. I can confirm this with certainty because I tried swapping the cranks from my Bafang M620 to my Bafang M510, and indeed, the splines are different. The only two Bafang motors compatible with ISIS are :
- Bafang M620
- Bafang M820

You can always check the Bafang website for compatibility of various components :

Regarding the new Bafang M560, I can't say for certain that they use the "BFG" models, but it is very likely.
Sayonara should be able to confirm this soon since he is expected to receive his latest generation M560 shortly.

View attachment 141591 View attachment 141592
Funny, I had opened that OEM guide thinking it might be in there and then closed it after reading a bit and deciding it wasn't the right place... Based on pics from the Alibaba listing, it does appear the spline on the 560 matches the other bafang-specific cranks. You can count the notches on the M620 and it appears to be 10, the others like the 560 are 12 if I counted right looking at the pic.

I'm still trying to decide on the wheel size now, keep going back and forth... I'd rather just not mess with the geometry and stick to the 29", I just had it in my head I wanted to try a mullet setup. I really wish they had the "flip chip" setup like on some other bikes to allow you to extend the rear triangle out a bit to accommodate for the 27.5" rear if you wanted to run it. My motor and battery are shipping today/tomorrow.

Denver

Dec 28, 2023
Switzerland
Funny, I had opened that OEM guide thinking it might be in there and then closed it after reading a bit and deciding it wasn't the right place... Based on pics from the Alibaba listing, it does appear the spline on the 560 matches the other bafang-specific cranks. You can count the notches on the M620 and it appears to be 10, the others like the 560 are 12 if I counted right looking at the pic.

I'm still trying to decide on the wheel size now, keep going back and forth... I'd rather just not mess with the geometry and stick to the 29", I just had it in my head I wanted to try a mullet setup. I really wish they had the "flip chip" setup like on some other bikes to allow you to extend the rear triangle out a bit to accommodate for the 27.5" rear if you wanted to run it. My motor and battery are shipping today/tomorrow.
If you really want to experiment with the geometry and convert the LCE971 to a mullet setup, I recommend contacting Jim and asking for his opinion.

From my experience with my LCE971 equipped with 29" wheels, the overall geometry feels very stable. However, in 29", it retains good maneuverability while providing a secure ride.

If I were to switch my bike to a 27.5" rear wheel, it would shift the rider's position backward, result in a steeper head angle (less than 64.5°), and consequently increase the trail length, which is initially 128mm for a 150mm fork.

All these geometry changes will make the bike even more stable, and it is already quite stable. Lowering the bottom bracket height means you will likely touch the ground more often, and the pedaling sensation during climbs may not be very pleasant. If you plan to equip the frame with a 160mm fork, you will further accentuate these issues, likely resulting in too long a trail, making the steering even less responsive and less sensitive.

I think if you really want to get an idea, it’s better to equip your frame with 29" wheels and, for the sake of a test ride, borrow a 27.5" wheel from a friend's bike and equip yours to try it out.

Perhaps in the future, LightCarbon will offer frames equipped with a "flip chip" which could be interesting.

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA
If you really want to experiment with the geometry and convert the LCE971 to a mullet setup, I recommend contacting Jim and asking for his opinion.

From my experience with my LCE971 equipped with 29" wheels, the overall geometry feels very stable. However, in 29", it retains good maneuverability while providing a secure ride.

If I were to switch my bike to a 27.5" rear wheel, it would shift the rider's position backward, result in a steeper head angle (less than 64.5°), and consequently increase the trail length, which is initially 128mm for a 150mm fork.

All these geometry changes will make the bike even more stable, and it is already quite stable. Lowering the bottom bracket height means you will likely touch the ground more often, and the pedaling sensation during climbs may not be very pleasant. If you plan to equip the frame with a 160mm fork, you will further accentuate these issues, likely resulting in too long a trail, making the steering even less responsive and less sensitive.

I think if you really want to get an idea, it’s better to equip your frame with 29" wheels and, for the sake of a test ride, borrow a 27.5" wheel from a friend's bike and equip yours to try it out.

Perhaps in the future, LightCarbon will offer frames equipped with a "flip chip" which could be interesting.
You convinced me, I made myself order wheels so I can stop thinking about it 😂

Went with industry nine hydra enduro s wheels. Just need to finalize a fork (debating whether the $350 upgrade is worth it to go from the performance to the performance elite from Fox) and tires. Pretty sure I have my mind set on the rest or have already purchased it at this point.

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
You convinced me, I made myself order wheels so I can stop thinking about it 😂

Went with industry nine hydra enduro s wheels. Just need to finalize a fork (debating whether the $350 upgrade is worth it to go from the performance to the performance elite from Fox) and tires. Pretty sure I have my mind set on the rest or have already purchased it at this point.

Denver bought the carbon wheels from Lightcarbon and apparently they are really nice. I went with these as I have seen few people recommend these in here. Sandnap and few others have already rode these wheels for a while if you want to ask for their opinion. 111.87£ 15% OFF|Koozer Xm490 Pro Boost Hub Mountain Wheelset 27.5 29 Inch Sunringle Duroc 30 35 40 Tubeless Rim Custom Made Rainbow Mtb Wheel - Bicycle Wheel - AliExpress

I recently heard that I9 hubs have desing fault by manufacturer and apparently I9 has even confirmed this. 🤔 the hubs break axles and snap them at the freewheel part.
For example youtube is full of videos talking and showing this problem. Here's one example, . Just wanted to let you know incase you werent aware of this.

I recently bought Fox 36 performance elite 160mm fork. I got mine slightly used for 400€. The elite version has the grip 2 damper and non elite has grip damper. The difference between the two is huge. I would suggest checking pinkbikes forum for parts 👍 I was trying to find the new Lyrik Ultimate charger 3 first but didn't find single one for a month or two.

Oh and about the cranks. I found 160mm cranks here. They also have even shorter. They arrived yesterday with other stuff. If you prefer 165mm they can be found about half the price.

Goff

Mar 2, 2023
New Zealand
Denver bought the carbon wheels from Lightcarbon and apparently they are really nice. I went with these as I have seen few people recommend these in here. Sandnap and few others have already rode these wheels for a while if you want to ask for their opinion. 111.87£ 15% OFF|Koozer Xm490 Pro Boost Hub Mountain Wheelset 27.5 29 Inch Sunringle Duroc 30 35 40 Tubeless Rim Custom Made Rainbow Mtb Wheel - Bicycle Wheel - AliExpress

I recently heard that I9 hubs have desing fault by manufacturer and apparently I9 has even confirmed this. 🤔 the hubs break axles and snap them at the freewheel part.
For example youtube is full of videos talking and showing this problem. Here's one example, . Just wanted to let you know incase you werent aware of this.

I recently bought Fox 36 performance elite 160mm fork. I got mine slightly used for 400€. The elite version has the grip 2 damper and non elite has grip damper. The difference between the two is huge. I would suggest checking pinkbikes forum for parts 👍 I was trying to find the new Lyrik Ultimate charger 3 first but didn't find single one for a month or two.

Oh and about the cranks. I found 160mm cranks here. They also have even shorter. They arrived yesterday with other stuff. If you prefer 165mm they can be found about half the price.

See how those cranks go I pulled the threads out of both of mine, that said I wasn’t kind to them, if you want reliability don’t use them.

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
See how those cranks go I pulled the threads out of both of mine, that said I wasn’t kind to them, if you want reliability don’t use them.

Where did you pull the threads from? At the axle or pedals? Did you over tighten them above the limit stated on the cranks?

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA

View attachment 141590

- Bafang M620
- Bafang M820

View attachment 141591 View attachment 141592
By the way, I found final confirmation on the crank type in their updated catalog below, page 16 directly calls out the M560 as using Bafang style cranks.

I'm surprised Lekkie doesn't make any cranks for them, seems like they only have ISIS and square style drives available. I'd prefer an aftermarket manufacturer than just buying the OEM bafang arms, I may give the Miranda ones mentioned earlier a try if they ship to the US for a reasonable amount.

Last edited:

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA

In the comments they mentioned that they addressed the issue with the wheels in June of 2023 with an updated axle design, so I'm not too worried about it. They have a good warranty on them should any issues arise. I read a lot of very good things about the wheels and even a lot of people on eMTBs using the hub successfully, so I went for it.

My 3 options I was trying to decide between were the i9 Enduro S, Race Face Aeffect R, and DT Swiss XM 1700. The DT Swiss with the 350 hub was probably the most bullet proof hub, but the wheels themselves didn't seem to be the most durable from some reading I did, with their more expensive enduro wheels being the thing I really wanted, unfortunately they were a little more than I was willing to spend. So I settled on the i9 mostly due to them being a smaller, somewhat local company that seemed to stand behind their products.

Goff

Mar 2, 2023
New Zealand
Where did you pull the threads from? At the axle or pedals? Did you over tighten them above the limit stated on the cranks?
At the peddle, no they were not over tight, and I have not had this happen to any other bike. I was on holiday and managed to have the local bike helicoil the first one and then the other side did the same thing a few days later.

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA
Started a thread to document my build journey here, hopefully LightCarbon isn't too backed up these days, I want to get working!

@Denver I was trying to figure out your chainring saga, do you have a listing to the spider you used? I realized I messed up when I ordered with the 34t chainring because that’s the only one that’s integrated. I wanted to use the SRAM chainring from the group set but obviously need a spider.

When I try to search for the Bafang part numbers on Ali I always get nothing. Seems like many of the Bafang actual part numbers ever come up in the listings.

Last edited:

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA
I asked for an update on scheduling from Jim at LightCarbon and apparently they're making some adjustments to the frame based on feedback:

"According to some customer feedback, the original rear triangle has some deflection when riding at high speed, so we are improving the rear triangle and strengthening it.
All frames that have not yet been completed will with the new rear triangle. However, the new rear triangle will not be completed until the end of June. In addition, the front triangle will adjust the threading of the rear brake and shift cables to prevent the cables from
"

Screenshot 2024-06-11 at 5.40.27 AM.png

Last edited:

Denver

Dec 28, 2023
Switzerland
Started a thread to document my build journey here, hopefully LightCarbon isn't too backed up these days, I want to get working!

@Denver I was trying to figure out your chainring saga, do you have a listing to the spider you used? I realized I messed up when I ordered with the 34t chainring because that’s the only one that’s integrated. I wanted to use the SRAM chainring from the group set but obviously need a spider.

When I try to search for the Bafang part numbers on Ali I always get nothing. Seems like many of the Bafang actual part numbers ever come up in the listings.

That's great, I can't wait to see the construction of your bike. However, regarding the chainring, I didn't understand your request. I did make a post that explains which spider models are compatible. I'll let you go through my post to find this information.

I'm not sure what to make of this new internal cable routing. It doesn't look very nice to me. And I'm not really sure if it's more functional than the version I have. I don't understand why they didn't take inspiration from the Orbea Rise models, which have a lower and more aesthetically pleasing cable routing.

LCE971 Routing cables.jpg
LCE971 Routing cables 2.jpg

The cable routing opening could have been made oval-shaped to allow for cable movement during suspension travel.

Of course, this would have required more significant modifications. But the cable routing would have been hidden and functional.

Last edited:

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA
That's great, I can't wait to see the construction of your bike. However, regarding the chainring, I didn't understand your request. I did make a post that explains which spider models are compatible. I'll let you go through my post to find this information.
I did read your post, the issue seems to be nobody actually uses the Bafang part numbers in their listings and just say it’s a chainring for a certain motor. Both the one that came with the motor and the one I ordered separately appear to be identical. I’ll see how the offset lines up once I finally get my frame. But the issue seems to be the part numbers referenced in the Bafang dealer manual don’t show up in anyone’s Alibaba listings that I can find so you never know what you’re getting.

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA
I agree the routing definitely looks strange to me to be going right next to the shock. I’m happy I’ll get a stronger rear triangle, but that routing definitely is weird.

Also interested to see what they’re changing for the header cable routing. Also wish they’d just do a normal hole in the side of the frame, I know you can ask for it but not too sure how good that would actually look.

Denver

Dec 28, 2023
Switzerland
I did read your post, the issue seems to be nobody actually uses the Bafang part numbers in their listings and just say it’s a chainring for a certain motor. Both the one that came with the motor and the one I ordered separately appear to be identical. I’ll see how the offset lines up once I finally get my frame. But the issue seems to be the part numbers referenced in the Bafang dealer manual don’t show up in anyone’s Alibaba listings that I can find so you never know what you’re getting.
I don't understand the problem, it's quite simple. If you check my previous post, I list two models that are compatible with the Bafang M510, M600, and M560 motors. All you need to do is contact the seller and ask for the reference number of their spider. If they are unable to provide it, then you should consider finding another seller who can provide the correct information. You can also ask for photos and compare them with the ones I posted.

Denver

Dec 28, 2023
Switzerland
I agree the routing definitely looks strange to me to be going right next to the shock. I’m happy I’ll get a stronger rear triangle, but that routing definitely is weird.

Also interested to see what they’re changing for the header cable routing. Also wish they’d just do a normal hole in the side of the frame, I know you can ask for it but not too sure how good that would actually look.
For routing cables through the headset, I don't understand people who don't like this method. Sure, it's a bit finicky, but it's so much nicer to have this system rather than routing through the frame. You just need to be meticulous during the initial setup, and then everything works fine. LightCarbon should also provide a well-designed and waterproof headset. I think it's the best way to achieve a really clean cable management setup.

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA
I don't understand the problem, it's quite simple. If you check my previous post, I list two models that are compatible with the Bafang M510, M600, and M560 motors. All you need to do is contact the seller and ask for the reference number of their spider. If they are unable to provide it, then you should consider finding another seller who can provide the correct information. You can also ask for photos and compare them with the ones I posted.
You pointed out the problem, none of them list the simple part number in their listings. Just a pain to have to go hunt down people individually who are in a 12-hour different time zone when you could simply put the searchable part number in their listing and avoid all confusion. Just a pain to deal with.

Denver

Dec 28, 2023
Switzerland
You pointed out the problem, none of them list the simple part number in their listings. Just a pain to have to go hunt down people individually who are in a 12-hour different time zone when you could simply put the searchable part number in their listing and avoid all confusion. Just a pain to deal with.
You can make your request at this store. They will respond favorably to your request, and they'll understand. This is where I ordered mine.

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA
You can make your request at this store. They will respond favorably to your request, and they'll understand. This is where I ordered mine.

We’ll see what I get when it arrives, I contacted them and they weren’t very helpful or understanding. I sent them the pics showing what I needed and explained how I already have the .1C version.

They sent me two links, said I need the second one, then stopped responding for a few days and eventually came back assuring me this link was what I needed and is the same. I ordered it but am a little skeptical, the pics on the listing still appear to be what I already have which doesn’t have room for a chain guide. Still drives me crazy nobody can just list Bafang part numbers on the listings (Does Bafang prevent them from doing it or something?). I have yet to find a single picture of any chainring on the internet that looks like yours with the back being cut in more to make room for a chain guide.

Denver

Dec 28, 2023
Switzerland
We’ll see what I get when it arrives, I contacted them and they weren’t very helpful or understanding. I sent them the pics showing what I needed and explained how I already have the .1C version.

They sent me two links, said I need the second one, then stopped responding for a few days and eventually came back assuring me this link was what I needed and is the same. I ordered it but am a little skeptical, the pics on the listing still appear to be what I already have which doesn’t have room for a chain guide. Still drives me crazy nobody can just list Bafang part numbers on the listings (Does Bafang prevent them from doing it or something?). I have yet to find a single picture of any chainring on the internet that looks like yours with the back being cut in more to make room for a chain guide.

It is true that it is not always easy to make oneself understood, especially when we do not speak the same language. I looked at the link you provided in your post, and indeed, we can see that there are two models of spiders. One is the original, compatible with the chain guide, and the other is not the original. I also see that there is a photo of a spider for a Bafang M400. It's a bit unfortunate to display different spiders when it concerns only the M500, M510, M560, M600. If the spider has these "notches" on the front, it will be compatible with a chain guide. Send a photo as well as the reference (CW G522.1A) to the seller to ensure they don't make a mistake.

20240618_162902.jpg

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA
It is true that it is not always easy to make oneself understood, especially when we do not speak the same language. I looked at the link you provided in your post, and indeed, we can see that there are two models of spiders. One is the original, compatible with the chain guide, and the other is not the original. I also see that there is a photo of a spider for a Bafang M400. It's a bit unfortunate to display different spiders when it concerns only the M500, M510, M560, M600. If the spider has these "notches" on the front, it will be compatible with a chain guide. Send a photo as well as the reference (CW G522.1A) to the seller to ensure they don't make a mistake.

View attachment 142381
Not sure why I hadn't noticed the notch on the front, I was only looking at the back to see how it was shaped around the drive spline, that does indeed make it easier to identify. Fingers crossed that what I get will be compatible!

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA

View attachment 142381
Well… Here’s what they sent me. Oh the joys of Alibaba/Aliexpress shopping. Now when I tried to get a refund they started responding saying they messed up and will send a new one.

IMG_1342.jpeg

Sayonara

Jan 21, 2024
Finland
Well… Here’s what they sent me. Oh the joys of Alibaba/Aliexpress shopping. Now when I tried to get a refund they started responding saying they messed up and will send a new one.

View attachment 142699
Oof... I got the proper one straight with the motor when I ordered from Greenbikekit. Although I made sure by messaging them but apparently they will send the proper one if you choose 32T or 34T chainring with the motor. You could ask them for the chainring only

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA
Oof... I got the proper one straight with the motor when I ordered from Greenbikekit. Although I made sure by messaging them but apparently they will send the proper one if you choose 32T or 34T chainring with the motor. You could ask them for the chainring only
I never knew such a simple thing would be so difficult, of all the chainrings available on eBay and Amazon I literally can’t find a single one showing a pic of the one that supposedly fits the chain guide. Don’t know why they’re so hard to come by.

Now my next adventure is to find the right cable for my brake sensors. I stupidly told the motor vendor I didn’t need brake sensors (Because I didn’t, I have brakes with them built-in) but that also apparently meant they wouldn’t even give me the cable to go from the motor to the sensors either. Took some hunting but it looks like this is what I need.

Edit: Screw it, just to increase my chances and waste even more money on silly chainrings I just ordered one from GBK as well since their image appears to show the correct style. I’ll open a resale shop for chainrings by the end of this.

Last edited:

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA
I finally ended up getting the proper chainring from GreenBikeKit in today. For anyone interested it was this item in particular (I ordered the 32T but I don’t think it necessarily matters).

IMG_1441.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles