What did you buy your ebike this week?

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
Was that the DVO Topaz shock that you bought from me? :unsure:

If so, while I'm glad that you thought it was great, I confess I'm disappointed to hear about its service requirements. I thought that I had researched the shock extensively and I never came across the rebuild requirement. :(
But I'm glad I dodged the bullet on that one! :)

I only did 347 not very hard miles on it, but it had taken nearly six months to get hold of one and I sold the bike 3 months after fitting the shock. I liked it a lot so I removed it before selling the bike, after refitting the original Rockshox Deluxe R Debonair. I liked the shock on my new bike so I didn't refit the DVO Topaz. Then you came along (I think).

It was Steve, and three really good riding years (+/- some tasty injury time off) with it too! Time flies.

As you get to know the shock a bit more after all that time you get to feel and hear when its riding well, getting soft... oil cavetating (sp?) etc. I really liked it, was a good fit for my riding. There came a chance to pick up a good priced Vivid Levo tuned and I thought I'd give it a go.... I wasn't desperate to get off the Topaz, more off an opportunity thing.

From a very very vague internet hearsay, there may be some issue at the topaz seal-head from bikes with high lateral force like a levo... I'm not engineerey enough to say for sure. The Levo isn't kind to coil shocks in that way too.

Anyway, nice to have some new gear to mess around with too!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It was Steve, and three really good riding years (+/- some tasty injury time off) with it too! Time flies.

As you get to know the shock a bit more after all that time you get to feel and hear when its riding well, getting soft... oil cavetating (sp?) etc. I really liked it, was a good fit for my riding. There came a chance to pick up a good priced Vivid Levo tuned and I thought I'd give it a go.... I wasn't desperate to get off the Topaz, more off an opportunity thing.

From a very very vague internet hearsay, there may be some issue at the topaz seal-head from bikes with high lateral force like a levo... I'm not engineerey enough to say for sure. The Levo isn't kind to coil shocks in that way too.

Anyway, nice to have some new gear to mess around with too!
Always good to have new kit to play with. I can even get excited about a new rear light! :giggle:
ORB bike light 2.jpg

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Not so much as bought today but I picked up some crank arms that were due for the journey that have been ”blasted”. The garage where I’ve been getting our cars serviced has branched out into renervation, cleaning and painting removal.

Last edited:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
View attachment 147771 View attachment 147772 View attachment 147773
Before and after pics using a process of minute ceramic spheres in a slurry with water that can be described as a soft sand blast. No damage to the threads or castellations on the crank. Didn’t even charge as it only took 5 mins. Impressive to say the least.
I remove anodising by dropping item in caustic soda (potassium hydroxide) solution for a few seconds then when bubbles remove item and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Wearing rubber gloves of course.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
This week bought Maxxis High Roller 3 Maxxgrip 29 DH tyres which will stay on front all year round. Bought DH because DD seems not to be available yet. Paired with Maxxis DHR2 Maxxgrip 29 DD rears which got cheap from Amazon because spotted a pricing mistake - wanted Maxxterra but couldnt ignore price. Tyres will come off only when worn out, finished with changing tyres twice a year.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Bought four new Presta valves. Why?

Changed four tyres and at same time fitted Fillmore valves. Clogged up several times while injecting Muc-Off tubeless sealant, probably due to Muc-Off sealant particle size.

After fitting Fillmore valves binned old Presta valves. Not changing to another sealant so bye-bye Fillmore, back to Presta. If Presta valves clog up then the cores are easy and cheap to replace, got plenty of them.

No prize for guessing why Muc-Off have developed their own proprietory valves. ;)

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

Changed four tyres and at same time fitted Fillmore valves. Clogged up several times while injecting Muc-Off tubeless sealant, probably due to Muc-Off sealant particle size.

After fitting Fillmore valves binned old Presta valves. Not changing to another sealant so bye-bye Fillmore, back to Presta. If Presta valves clog up then the cores are easy and cheap to replace, got plenty of them.

No prize for guessing why Muc-Off have developed their own proprietory valves. ;)
I use Continental Revo sealant. It has a tapered nozzle for injecting down the valve. The bottle has to be shaken of course to get all the particles contained in the sludge at the base of the bottle back into suspension. But when you do, they won't even come out of the nozzle! It's not surprising really. If the sealant is supposed to seal 6mm holes in your tube, why would they flow through a 3mm hole in the end of the nozzle? :unsure:

It's not just me either, I got my grandson to try it yesterday. My thought was that if it doesn't work it would be a learning experience for him and if it did work, a learning experience for me! He failed as well.

PS: The only time I got sealant down the valve was when I had failed to shake up the bottle first. The next time I got a puncture the latex just pissed out of the hole without sealing. Inner tube time! :eek:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC

There are pro’s and con’s to those Filmore values. When I purchased my first set I added the syringe, tube and MucOff sealant. What a joke that was. I was only able to inject 10-20ml of sealant through the valve before the valve became clogged with particles. I eventually released a bead and poured 90ml of MucOff sealant directly into the tire.

Some sealants have large particles,(MucOff, Bontrager). The permanent spring inside the Filmore valve captures any large, stringy, chunky particles and quickly prevents adding more tire sealant through the valve.

Another effect happens when using conventional presta valves. Over time the air holes clog up and prevent any air from escaping. That’s fine …until you need to change a tire.

Some valve cores will slowly leak air and the sealant will block air from exiting, and eventually prevent air from entering (coliflower effect). This becomes a problem when you need to remove a tire and release the psi to zero.

The Filmore valves have a better seal mechanism. I’ve installed Filmore valves on all the bikes now. As long as I don’t burp or puncture a tire, I rarely need to add psi. Deflating or inflating a tire is easy now …whenever I need to do that.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I use Continental Revo sealant. It has a tapered nozzle for injecting down the valve. The bottle has to be shaken of course to get all the particles contained in the sludge at the base of the bottle back into suspension. But when you do, they won't even come out of the nozzle! It's not surprising really. If the sealant is supposed to seal 6mm holes in your tube, why would they flow through a 3mm hole in the end of the nozzle? :unsure:

It's not just me either, I got my grandson to try it yesterday. My thought was that if it doesn't work it would be a learning experience for him and if it did work, a learning experience for me! He failed as well.

PS: The only time I got sealant down the valve was when I had failed to shake up the bottle first. The next time I got a puncture the latex just pissed out of the hole without sealing. Inner tube time! :eek:
I use a 5mm ID tube pushed onto the nozzle of a 100ml BD Plastipak syringe, then draw sealant from the sealant bottle into the syringe. The other end of the tube is then pushed over the top of the valve, and the sealant injected into the wheel.

With a Presta valve with the core removed the sealant always flows freely through the valve body into the wheel.

With a Fillmore valve the clearance around the poppet valve is too small and the sealant quickly clogs up often before even half has been injected through the valve.

Always park our bikes with valves at either 4 or 8 o'clock, only occasionally had Presta valves clog up and if they do simply remove and put in a new one. They're cheap as chips.

Edit: As said elsewhere, Fillmore valves are coming out and being replaced with Presta valves.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
With a Presta valve with the core removed the sealant always flows freely through the valve body into the wheel.
Always park our bikes with valves at either 4 or 8 o'clock, only occasionally had Presta valves clog up and if they do simply remove and put in a new one. They're cheap as chips.
Agreed, I always park my bike in a similar fashion. for the same reasons.
I also remove the Presta valve for filling, but I've stopped trying now because the sealant NEVER goes in. The sealant particles clog the nozzle of the injector.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Agreed, I always park my bike in a similar fashion. for the same reasons.
I also remove the Presta valve for filling, but I've stopped trying now because the sealant NEVER goes in. The sealant particles clog the nozzle of the injector.
This is what I use, Muc-Off sealant always goes in no probs. As you can see in the pic, the end of the tube goes over the Presta valve body (with the valve removed of course).

20241008_170356.jpg

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I bought this today hopefully it’ll get those dammed seized crank arm caps off, if it doesn’t work I’ll be getting new crank arms 😉

560C318C-D4A8-40D9-AEEB-332299F33CCB.jpeg

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
Bloody hell what a load of tosh, bought a syringe of eBay and tubing to go from said syringe to valve ( with valve core removed ) injecting Stans sealant to bead seated rims……..what could be easier……… it’s not rocket science.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
I bought this today hopefully it’ll get those dammed seized crank arm caps off, if it doesn’t work I’ll be getting new crank arms 😉

View attachment 147967
This last post wasn’t a reply to your problem with the cranks …….apologies mate.
I’ve been on the lash all day and didn’t attach this reply to the thread about valve and sealant…..but I hope the reply is of some use to you in the future 😂😂

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
Bloke spends £5000 on a bike and then £5 on a chainring :D :D
The thread on this forum said they were good chain rings, so I bought one. Do you want me to offer the seller more money ? 😜

BTW. the bike was only £2,986. (AUD$5800). Maybe I need to give them more money too ......:ROFLMAO:

1728428118634.png

Last edited:

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
This last post wasn’t a reply to your problem with the cranks …….apologies mate.
I’ve been on the lash all day and didn’t attach this reply to the thread about valve and sealant…..but I hope the reply is of some use to you in the future 😂😂
No worries pal, I didn’t think it was aimed at my post, but I’ll bare it in mind for the future 🤣🤣🤣

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
Deepest Bandit country (Wales)
Bought a Manitou Mara for mrs.Zeds Orbea Rise, she’s not ridden it this year (since the battery died in December and was slowly replaced through warranty - Orbea being slow not the shop that handled the repair!) and when she did there were complaints about the fox suspension as factory fitted*

I must add that she’d been riding her Ohlins equipped Sworks KenevoSL all year (that we built in January - to replace the unridable broken Orbea) so has gotten herself a taste for less basic dampers…

IMG_5822.jpeg

The Mara is shown for size next to an Ohlins coil that she ran for a short time but clearance concerns meant it’s removal.

I’m a fan of the Mara after having ridden one on my Nukeproof Mega and Trek Rail so suggested it & luckily there was a new one on eBay so couldn’t resist 🫢

Have to fit the bloody thing now!

Rich.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles