What did you buy your ebike this week?

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
Was that the DVO Topaz shock that you bought from me? :unsure:

If so, while I'm glad that you thought it was great, I confess I'm disappointed to hear about its service requirements. I thought that I had researched the shock extensively and I never came across the rebuild requirement. :(
But I'm glad I dodged the bullet on that one! :)

I only did 347 not very hard miles on it, but it had taken nearly six months to get hold of one and I sold the bike 3 months after fitting the shock. I liked it a lot so I removed it before selling the bike, after refitting the original Rockshox Deluxe R Debonair. I liked the shock on my new bike so I didn't refit the DVO Topaz. Then you came along (I think).

It was Steve, and three really good riding years (+/- some tasty injury time off) with it too! Time flies.

As you get to know the shock a bit more after all that time you get to feel and hear when its riding well, getting soft... oil cavetating (sp?) etc. I really liked it, was a good fit for my riding. There came a chance to pick up a good priced Vivid Levo tuned and I thought I'd give it a go.... I wasn't desperate to get off the Topaz, more off an opportunity thing.

From a very very vague internet hearsay, there may be some issue at the topaz seal-head from bikes with high lateral force like a levo... I'm not engineerey enough to say for sure. The Levo isn't kind to coil shocks in that way too.

Anyway, nice to have some new gear to mess around with too!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It was Steve, and three really good riding years (+/- some tasty injury time off) with it too! Time flies.

As you get to know the shock a bit more after all that time you get to feel and hear when its riding well, getting soft... oil cavetating (sp?) etc. I really liked it, was a good fit for my riding. There came a chance to pick up a good priced Vivid Levo tuned and I thought I'd give it a go.... I wasn't desperate to get off the Topaz, more off an opportunity thing.

From a very very vague internet hearsay, there may be some issue at the topaz seal-head from bikes with high lateral force like a levo... I'm not engineerey enough to say for sure. The Levo isn't kind to coil shocks in that way too.

Anyway, nice to have some new gear to mess around with too!
Always good to have new kit to play with. I can even get excited about a new rear light! :giggle:
ORB bike light 2.jpg

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Not so much as bought today but I picked up some crank arms that were due for the journey that have been ”blasted”. The garage where I’ve been getting our cars serviced has branched out into renervation, cleaning and painting removal.

Last edited:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
View attachment 147771 View attachment 147772 View attachment 147773
Before and after pics using a process of minute ceramic spheres in a slurry with water that can be described as a soft sand blast. No damage to the threads or castellations on the crank. Didn’t even charge as it only took 5 mins. Impressive to say the least.
I remove anodising by dropping item in caustic soda (potassium hydroxide) solution for a few seconds then when bubbles remove item and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Wearing rubber gloves of course.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
This week bought Maxxis High Roller 3 Maxxgrip 29 DH tyres which will stay on front all year round. Bought DH because DD seems not to be available yet. Paired with Maxxis DHR2 Maxxgrip 29 DD rears which got cheap from Amazon because spotted a pricing mistake - wanted Maxxterra but couldnt ignore price. Tyres will come off only when worn out, finished with changing tyres twice a year.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles