What did you buy your ebike this week?

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
After listening to the latest Downtime Goes Downhill podcast, I thought i'd give one of these a go.

Obviously there will be a video about it ;)
Have earlier version (for eBike) in my MY23 Lyric Ultimate forks, definitely works. (y)

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’m fortunate enough to have the best suspension in the world of MTB riding …my legs, arms and body. The mechanical suspension on my bike helps, but it doesn’t adapt to the changing terrain 10m infront of me. Somewhere between a pogo-stick and a rock is probably my happy place.

When I purchased my Fuel EXE earlier this year a young experienced rep, at the LBS, setup my suspension for me based on some information that he knew about me and some info that I provided. (sag, rebound, compression). In 6+ months I haven’t touched those settings.

What I really noticed was the micro vibrations. I quickly changed the bar, the grips, the saddle and the peddles. I made adjustments to suit my geometry and match my other bike.

Different riders are sensitive to different feedback while riding …or where you’re riding. If someone changed my suspension settings in the middle of the night, while I was sleeping, I probably wouldn’t notice. But the things that I touch …I would notice instantly.

I have a neighbour who is constantly making small suspensions adjustments depending on where he plans on riding …pavement, Burke Mountian, Cypress, North Shore, Squamish, Whistler, Eagle Mountain, etc.

I don’t. I set-it and forget-it. If it’s not broke …well everyone is different.

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
After listening to the latest Downtime Goes Downhill podcast, I thought i'd give one of these a go.

Obviously there will be a video about it ;)
I’ve got one fork with the Secus and Runt installed. And another fork with the Secus and MRP Ramp Control installed.
I may have to try this Trutune Flow, but I’m guessing it’s essentially doing the same thing as the MRP and Runt, 🤔 but non-adjustable as the Runt and MRP are?

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I’ve got one fork with the Secus and Runt installed. And another fork with the Secus and MRP Ramp Control installed.
I may have to try this Trutune Flow, but I’m guessing it’s essentially doing the same thing as the MRP and Runt, 🤔 but non-adjustable as the Runt and MRP are?
I await the testing, I looked at the MRP one a few years ago and it makes sense if you know what the trail is going to do before dropping in. I "assume" this kind of the same but without the need for manual input. But like the downtime guys, I think there maybe more to it, and I cant quite understand it until I get my hands on it.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I’m fortunate enough to have the best suspension in the world of MTB riding …my legs, arms and body. The mechanical suspension on my bike helps, but it doesn’t adapt to the changing terrain 10m infront of me. Somewhere between a pogo-stick and a rock is probably my happy place.

When I purchased my Fuel EXE earlier this year a young experienced rep, at the LBS, setup my suspension for me based on some information that he knew about me and some info that I provided. (sag, rebound, compression). In 6+ months I haven’t touched those settings.

What I really noticed was the micro vibrations. I quickly changed the bar, the grips, the saddle and the peddles. I made adjustments to suit my geometry and match my other bike.

Different riders are sensitive to different feedback while riding …or where you’re riding. If someone changed my suspension settings in the middle of the night, while I was sleeping, I probably wouldn’t notice. But the things that I touch …I would notice instantly.

I have a neighbour who is constantly making small suspensions adjustments depending on where he plans on riding …pavement, Burke Mountian, Cypress, North Shore, Squamish, Whistler, Eagle Mountain, etc.

I don’t. I set-it and forget-it. If it’s not broke …well everyone is different.
Definitely need a good base setting. I dont touch it much unless I'm doing something completely different, like bike park definitely needs more compression support than my local woods.
For example this weekend I'll be over in the Welsh mountains, on day 1, its very rocky but larger rocks and day 2 is very fast and smaller rocks but with bigger jumps and drops, so the set up will need to be different from day to day.

I'm much more sensitive to small bump compliance since my latest shoulder injury and losing so much upper body strength, hence this purchase.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

jackamo

Subscriber
May 25, 2023
UK
I did buy a new chain as the old one has done 1200 miles .
Haven't changed it yet though as I might wait and get a new cassette and chain ring just for the fun of it .😀

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Maybe Flight Attendant by Rock Shox is my answer. When I eventually identify as a multi millionaire I’ll upgrade to that system. 🙄

There’s so many trails on our little mountain with a wide variety of terrain. I primarily ride Burke Mountain and after many hours of riding I’m still discovering new or hidden trails.

I enjoy climbing. The challenge of climbing. I probably, subconsciously, realize that a fall during climbing isn’t as painful as a fall during descending. But I’ve done both.

I’ve tried to setup my suspension for the variety of terrain on this mountain. For my daily 2-3 hour ride I’m not stopping to make slight changes or adjustments to my suspension. If I did, my ride would become a 5+ hour marathon. I’m exhausted after 2-3 hours of riding, or the adventure ends when I’m hungry 🤤.(that rules imo).

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Shimano XTR BL-M9100 levers were on special offer so bought left and right as upgrades for my M6100 levers.

Took a look at them and figured they probably wouldn't survive a minor crash so returned them for a refund.
I upgraded to that brake system shortly after I bought my Rail. I also added the Ice Rotors for some better heat dissipation.

Anyways, had a very minor crash into a pile of rocks (the only thing I hurt was my fragile feelings) and snapped the master cylinder body of my rear brake. The ride down was exciting 🙄.

I believe the lever took the force of the hit but caused the body of the master cylinder to split into two pieces. Since then I’ve changed to MT7’s. I tighten the top screw of the clamp tight but only tighten the bottom screw slightly , so the brake levers can spin with slight force.

In the event of a crash those levers and master cylinder may survive. I’ve been doing that for the past 4+ years …so far so good 😊.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I upgraded to that brake system shortly after I bought my Rail. I also added the Ice Rotors for some better heat dissipation.

Anyways, had a very minor crash into a pile of rocks (the only thing I hurt was my fragile feelings) and snapped the master cylinder body of my rear brake. The ride down was exciting 🙄 ...
Wow, I'll bet that ride down was almost a brown trouser event! 😲

Seems that I've dodged that bullet 😎

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Have SQlab 12 degree backsweep bars and noticed during several rides that the way I was holding the bars looked like I'd be better off with less backsweep. So bought some PNW 31.8 38mm rise 10 degree backsweep carbon bars. Cut them down from 800mm to 780mm* and after fitting went out on one of our well trodden 12 mile routes. Couldn't believe the improvement that such a change made to control/handling/comfort, really surprised. Just bought same bars for wife's bike but not going to tell her until a few rides in, y'know what gurls are like if you change stuff on their bikes. 😉

* Have a very silly wingspan (gorilla) and would actually prefer 800+ bars but would catch on trees 😞

Last edited:

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
No biological spills but the speed through the rock gardens were slow and terrifying.😳.
Sometimes we don’t appreciate what we have …until we don’t have it. 🤷‍♂️
Was at Bike Park Wales last weekend and half way down a tasty burmed run my left ACL said "no more". The rest of the run was plain survival and I had to sit out the rest of the day while my son did 6 more silly runs. 😜 Being old is not fun when the mind is willing but the body won't co-operate 😞

Edit: should add that the ACL was already damaged from kite surfing and skiing ...

Last edited:

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
Deepest Bandit country (Wales)
first purchase for a while - time to get started then :p

Magped Enduro2 pedals with the Fatboy sized 200n magnets🤭

Why? Last ride I lost the pedal down a rock staircase & broke my heel so I'm hoping these will help when I get back on the bike🤞

now to find some suitable spd shoes:unsure:

Rich.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles