What did you buy your ebike this week?

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
A genuine Thule Barrel Lock and a mster key to fit it with

Rookie error, the new arm I purchased didn't include a lock so cant be used at the moment

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Silicone Shine is brilliant stuff.

Rim before Shine.jpg
Rim after Shine.jpg

cozzy

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
A oneup 180mm dropper. The ksl is essentially a limited use uplift bike, so i shouldn't really be spending on it, but the 160mm was hurting the knees as it was too low.
Unfortunately the v2 was completely out of stock and i wasn't prepared to pay the extra £100 for a v3.
I then found one retailer that had a v2 listed so ordered it, expecting them to cancel the order as a website error. But it arrived and it was the v3 they sent to honour the price! They really didnt need to do that, but happy they did.

IMG_20240909_165142.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Or your saddle or your grips!
Good advice. 👍🏻😉

I don’t trust myself with spray stuff in the bike cave. Mineral oil in your mouth or eyes seems to be ok, but I wouldn’t want to accidentally spray isopropyl alcohol in my face.

IMG_8124.jpeg
I keep a handful of lotions and potions close by but I avoid the WD40 or other spray lubricants. I really don’t trust myself. 😉

I try to keep the wipers moist or wet-ish, with oils, on the forks, shock and dropper. Soap n’ water or iso alcohol is fairly harmless on my bike, but I need to replace the lubricants if they wash away. My phobia is with brake components. 🤷‍♂️

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
A genuine Thule Barrel Lock and a mster key to fit it with

Rookie error, the new arm I purchased didn't include a lock so cant be used at the moment
If this is for a Thule roof bike rack such as a proride 591/598 or similar. Don’t ever leave a bike on there trusting the crappy Thule system. Bikes can be removed in under 30 seconds when locked.

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
If this is for a Thule roof bike rack such as a proride 591/598 or similar. Don’t ever leave a bike on there trusting the crappy Thule system. Bikes can be removed in under 30 seconds when locked.

Dont worry I dont,

I needed a barrel as the old arm broke (wouldnt tighten anymore as the threads had mangled) and the new one didnt come with one, meaning I couldnt tighten it up

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
Front forks and rear shock service kits, and a Charger 2.1 damper to upgrade the Yari to Lyric spec. I was sick and tired of feeling beaten up (arms, shoulders upper back) after a long ride, so hopefully the new 2.1 will soften the front end up a bit.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Front forks and rear shock service kits, and a Charger 2.1 damper to upgrade the Yari to Lyric spec. I was sick and tired of feeling beaten up (arms, shoulders upper back) after a long ride, so hopefully the new 2.1 will soften the front end up a bit.
6 months ago (Trek Rail) changed from a Zeb Ultimate 160 (MY23, Buttercups) to a Lyrik Ultimate 160 (MY23, Buttercups). Lyrik lacks the ultimate [sic] stiffness of the Zeb but (imo) the Lyrik is a more comfortable fork. My guess is that the slightly less stiff Lyrik is better at absorbing vibration than the Zeb. And when the going gets really rough there's so much else going on that for me general bike control is a bigger issue. Having said that, I don't get much air because anything much over 3-4' my left ACL protests painfully on landing. So to be fair that may be where Zeb Ultimate stiffness comes into its own.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
6 months ago (Trek Rail) changed from a Zeb Ultimate 160 (MY23, Buttercups) to a Lyrik Ultimate 160 (MY23, Buttercups). Lyrik lacks the ultimate [sic] stiffness of the Zeb but (imo) the Lyrik is a more comfortable fork. My guess is that the slightly less stiff Lyrik is better at absorbing vibration than the Zeb. And when the going gets really rough there's so much else going on that for me general bike control is a bigger issue. Having said that, I don't get much air because anything much over 3-4' my left ACL protests painfully on landing. So to be fair that may be where Zeb Ultimate stiffness comes into its own.
There were a few factors that kept me from upgrading to the Zeb ultimate with butter cups. I had installed the Lyric upgrade kit into the Yari forks in my attempt to reduce vibrations. It kinda helped.

Trek had the Zeb ultimate available which conformed to the larger diameter headset (no frame step). That addressed my OCD with appearance in that area. But then there was the price …$1800 CDN. Not a cheap upgrade. The final deciding factor was the weight.

I’ve never bottomed-out my forks on 5’ drops or smallish jumps or rediculous climbs. But the micro-variations coming through my bar was driving me crazy. Hand cramps and wrist fatigue was my show-stopping factor. I had to fix that.

Tweaking the psi and some other adjustments on the Lyric forks helped. But experimenting with geometry, installing One-Up carbon bars, larger diameter grips, reduce tire psi, and new control angles for the brake levers, shifter and dropper…all helped.

I realized that the power of a Zeb fork wasn’t necessary for my type of riding …or my weight. Even though I got the approval from da-boss, I couldn’t justify the Zeb Ultimate upgrade. So I upgraded the dropper to an AXS Reverb instead. What a stupid luxury that was …but I love it 🥰.

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
There were a few factors that kept me from upgrading to the Zeb ultimate with butter cups. I had installed the Lyric upgrade kit into the Yari forks in my attempt to reduce vibrations. It kinda helped.

Trek had the Zeb ultimate available which conformed to the larger diameter headset (no frame step). That addressed my OCD with appearance in that area. But then there was the price …$1800 CDN. Not a cheap upgrade. The final deciding factor was the weight.

I’ve never bottomed-out my forks on 5’ drops or smallish jumps or rediculous climbs. But the micro-variations coming through my bar was driving me crazy. Hand cramps and wrist fatigue was my show-stopping factor. I had to fix that.

Tweaking the psi and some other adjustments on the Lyric forks helped. But experimenting with geometry, installing One-Up carbon bars, larger diameter grips, reduce tire psi, and new control angles for the brake levers, shifter and dropper…all helped.

I realized that the power of a Zeb fork wasn’t necessary for my type of riding …or my weight. Even though I got the approval from da-boss, I couldn’t justify the Zeb Ultimate upgrade. So I upgraded the dropper to an AXS Reverb instead. What a stupid luxury that was …but I love it 🥰.
It's not the vibration as such, it's the sometimes jarring stiffness the standard Yari (MY2023 Yari with the C1 air spring) suffers at around mid stroke, which causes severe shocks through the wrists/arms/shoulders/upper back which is OK/no big deal on a short blast but when hitting chonk uphill or downhill on longer rides is like a technical boxer punching your arms and shoulders repeatedly.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
After listening to the latest Downtime Goes Downhill podcast, I thought i'd give one of these a go.

Obviously there will be a video about it ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles