What did you buy your ebike this week?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
It must be the sealant used then. Does Stans have bits in it?
The Stans sealant seems to be a little thicker … no chunks or bits that I’ve noticed. The MucOff sealant looks and feels like small chopped up wool
pieces along with the fluid. The Bontrager sealant looks to have small particles (blue bits) along with thick fluid.

Certain types of sealant will not pass through the Filmore valve because the bits and chunks get trapped in the internal spring during a syringe injection.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
The Stans sealant seems to be a little thicker … no chunks or bits that I’ve noticed. The MucOff sealant looks and feels like small chopped up wool
pieces along with the fluid. The Bontrager sealant looks to have small particles (blue bits) along with thick fluid.

Certain types of sealant will not pass through the Filmore valve because the bits and chunks get trapped in the internal spring during a syringe injection.
I took a Fillmore valve to pieces to measure it for the below post - there is no spring in it.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I took a Fillmore valve to pieces to measure it for the below post - there is no spring in it.

Hmmm? I wonder how it’s clogging up then? Smallish passage, internal mechanisms?

I’ve never had success with injecting some sealants through the Filmore valve. After 10-20ml it clogs up. Now I just pour 80-100ml of sealant directly into the tire (1 bead off).

I really thought it was a spring but I guess the psi keeps the plunger valve closed. 🤷‍♂️

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Hmmm? I wonder how it’s clogging up then? Smallish passage, internal mechanisms?

I’ve never had success with injecting some sealants through the Filmore valve. After 10-20ml it clogs up. Now I just pour 80-100ml of sealant directly into the tire (1 bead off).

I really thought it was a spring but I guess the psi keeps the plunger valve closed. 🤷‍♂️
Answer: Fillmore valve 1mm internal passage is self-evidently too small for a sealant with a larger particle size.

Being required to pour sealant directly into a bead-off tyre in order to get around a Fillmore valve design problem is taking the piss. Not for me, as said before it's back to Presta valves, at least the cores can be easily removed.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Stans easily injects through a Presta valve with the core removed. It's not gritty or has particles in it but if you want to reuse the syringe, wash it out after or the residue will dry to little rubber lumps & you'll be off to Ebay before you can say rim tape.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Here's the inside of the tyre from my Stumpy 6-Fattie that I just kept pouring around 100ml of Stans into every 3 or 4 months! I always just popped the bead and poured it in. The bike didn't move for about 6 months - as I had it on a Kickr for winter. When I went to ride it again, the wheel went thump, thump, thump.

Turns out there was a sealant monster created - a HUGE lump of solidified latex 😵‍💫
The inside of the tyre looks like something from Alien 😂
IMG_4471.JPG

IMG_4470.JPG

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Stans easily injects through a Presta valve with the core removed. It's not gritty or has particles in it but if you want to reuse the syringe, wash it out after or the residue will dry to little rubber lumps & you'll be off to Ebay before you can say rim tape.
I only have experience with MucOff, Bontrager and Stan’s sealants. I’m on my third jug of MucOff, 1st jug of Bontrager And my neighbour has a jug of Stan’s. Another neighbor uses some “orange stuff”, that he provides in single use quantities. It’s just thick…no particles.

IMG_8194.jpeg
Besides hand and floor pumps I mostly use a shop compressor (150psi) for tire changes. I don’t mix or contaminate sealants with each other. Filling containers are easily cleaned after use. I haven’t seen a Filmore valve fail but I’ve seen different issues with conventional presta valves. Sometimes those are easy to fix …just replace the valve core. Other times I’ve seen the small vent holes completely clogged with sealant (looks like a small coliflower). Sometimes air will not go in or out.

Bike mechanics, at a LBS, probably have their preference of sealant and have likely seen it all. I watched them use the garbage bin/can technique …hey! I got one of those. 👍🏻

My preference is MucOff sealant with Filmore valves. I quickly found out that this sealant cannot be injected through the Filmore valve

Sometimes a Filmore valve doesn’t play well with a CushCore, whereas a conventional presta valve will. (Side vent).

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
... I quickly found out that this sealant cannot be injected through the Filmore valve.

Recently chucked money at 2 pairs of Fillmore valves for our bikes then found that out. :(

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Here's the inside of the tyre from my Stumpy 6-Fattie that I just kept pouring around 100ml of Stans into every 3 or 4 months! I always just popped the bead and poured it in. The bike didn't move for about 6 months - as I had it on a Kickr for winter. When I went to ride it again, the wheel went thump, thump, thump.

Turns out there was a sealant monster created - a HUGE lump of solidified latex 😵‍💫
View attachment 148075

View attachment 148077
Here's mine., a 3-D starfish! I could hear it rumbling inside the tyre.

Latex starfish.JPG

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
View attachment 148075
A tire I fixed wasn’t that bad but the Bontrager sealant had completely dried. This was the original Bontrager alloy rim on my nephews Trek. He bent the rim edge so it would no longer hold air. Of course he had a race in Whistler the next day 🙄. I lent him one of my spare wheels (complete) just to get him ready. I decided to try and fix his front wheel later that week.

IMG_8202.jpeg

It took a while but eventually I straightened the rim edge with some weird pliers. Reinstalled his tire, added some Bontrager sealant (150ml injected through the presta valve).

IMG_8203.jpeg
Inflated to 35psi, spun the wheel and started checking for leaks. Damm! Some air was escaping at the dent and the side joint of the rim edge. Spin the wheel some more and hope the sealant does its job. Success 🙏.

The joint on the rim is a concern and I would recommend replacing the rim. But it seems to work. He works now (plumber helper) so he can bare the cost of a new rim.

IMG_5547.jpeg

Resized_07162022HeartOfDarknessMLC080.jpeg
This is him riding down A-Line in Whistler, a few years ago.

Yeah, I think he needs a better rim. 😎

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Some All Weather Chain Lube from Lidl (UK) for £3.99, they also have wet lube and various bike cleaners all at the same £3.99. Worth a try for four quid.

I also bought lube from Lidl…….
True Tension lubes are my “go to”
Chain lube, I also bought disc cleaner and bike wash…….ummm maybe I should have posted this 😆

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
OK, so this isn’t for the bike, rather for the rider, but it’s so great I feel compelled to write about it.

7Mesh Chilco hoodie / anorak

Not cheap at full list price (£170) but luckily I managed to grab a bargain in a recent flash sale they had. Now that I’ve worn it riding, I’d say it’s well worth the investment even at full price. It’s super comfortable, warm, blocks wind, mud splash and light rain resistant, breathes great, not heavy or too thick, it’s just bang on perfect. The hood sits perfectly on the helmet and provides plenty of ear coverage whilst still giving all round vision. I wouldn’t normally promote an item of clothing like this but it’s so good I feel I have to shout about it. Cold days’ riding will become fun again with this on your body! I’ve been wearing it all weekend, on & off the bike. Don’t want to take it off.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
OK, so this isn’t for the bike, rather for the rider, but it’s so great I feel compelled to write about it.

7Mesh Chilco hoodie / anorak

Not cheap at full list price (£170) but luckily I managed to grab a bargain in a recent flash sale they had. Now that I’ve worn it riding, I’d say it’s well worth the investment even at full price. It’s super comfortable, warm, blocks wind, mud splash and light rain resistant, breathes great, not heavy or too thick, it’s just bang on perfect. The hood sits perfectly on the helmet and provides plenty of ear coverage whilst still giving all round vision. I wouldn’t normally promote an item of clothing like this but it’s so good I feel I have to shout about it. Cold days’ riding will become fun again with this on your body! I’ve been wearing it all weekend, on & off the bike. Don’t want to take it off.

I guess it’s that time of the year to start thinking about apparel. I have the usual assortment of rain gear or winter gear suitable for our changing climate. But layering is important when the mornings are chilly and the afternoon heats up. I underdress and overdress all the time.

My wife bought me a couple of LuluLemon hoodies last year and I basically threw them to the side. Then I started wearing them as the weather changed. My helmet can fit over the hoodie and it’s barely noticeable when I don’t need it.

I’ve never set foot in this store (LuluLemon) but apparently they have a fairly good selection now of men’s athletic clothing.

I think it’s just a CDN store …kinda like “Roots”.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I guess it’s that time of the year to start thinking about apparel. I have the usual assortment of rain gear or winter gear suitable for our changing climate. But layering is important when the mornings are chilly and the afternoon heats up. I underdress and overdress all the time.

My wife bought me a couple of LuluLemon hoodies last year and I basically threw them to the side. Then I started wearing them as the weather changed. My helmet can fit over the hoodie and it’s barely noticeable when I don’t need it.

I’ve never set foot in this store (LuluLemon) but apparently they have a fairly good selection now of men’s athletic clothing.

I think it’s just a CDN store …kinda like “Roots”.
I just looked it up, my god who pays that for a hoodie? that's 5 maybe 6 hoodies from PriMarny !
I'm tight when it comes to buy "Norm" clothes as I ruin stuff pretty quick with oil stains or snags on sharp objects from around the cave.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles