Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
If anyone is interested, I am looking to sell the following shocks from my EXe:

- Fox Float X2 in 205 x 60.............................................$350.00
- Rockshox Super Deluxe coil in 205 x 60.........$250.00

Both are in like new condition. I can ship.

TheRed

Oct 6, 2022
Midlands, UK
Ah, the joys.
Ordered range extender back in Oct, finally arrived last week, ordered strap and cable which of course you have to order separately, didn't know about screws, none In stock, thanks Trek.

Anyway thought I'd fit it and take it for a gentle spin and............... ERR 5087 REX CONN

Only when the RE is connected.

Anybody got any ideas, Google brought nothing, LBS nothing, so tedious

njatherton

Dec 1, 2022
PA USA
According to TQ error list:

ERR 5087 BATT HW Software status of Battery
or Range Extender not up
to date
Contact your TQ dealer so that
the required update can be
applied via DST.

ciro

Feb 2, 2023
Australia
Sounds like a firmware issue. I've heard re and main battery have to be on the same version
Ah, the joys.
Ordered range extender back in Oct, finally arrived last week, ordered strap and cable which of course you have to order separately, didn't know about screws, none In stock, thanks Trek.

Anyway thought I'd fit it and take it for a gentle spin and............... ERR 5087 REX CONN

Only when the RE is connected.

Anybody got any ideas, Google brought nothing, LBS nothing, so tedious

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
My bike is in the shop getting a firmware update and general maintenance. I took my wife's Turbo Levo SL for a ride last week. Riding the Turbo Levo SL reminded me just how nice it is to ride the EXe that produces almost zero noise. The Turbo Levo is still a good bike, but the noise does take from the riding experience.

I have almost 1,000 miles on the EXe and it has worked flawlessly. I have not had a single issue. Loving this bike.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Really curious to see if these are generic TQ range extenders used by all the TQ supplied brands and that nobody is getting any or its a Trek related problem?

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
IS41 IS52

But any other IS41 IS52 goes too.

Has anyone that has the OEM upper headset gap installed a new headset and had the gap go away?

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
I have almost 1,000 miles on the EXe and it has worked flawlessly. I have not had a single issue. Loving this bike.
Last weekend I was thinking about doing the same rides last year on a Norco Sight VLT. The Norco was mostly great, but carrying it over down trees (or when the 630wh battery was done) made me realize I don’t want a eBike that’s so heavy it’s a liability without the assist.

So many backcountry rides have hike-a-bike. The EXe weight is totally bearable for carrying, and being able to carry additional battery weight off the bike is sweet. Also very happy with the geometry and suspension.

One oddity: the Trek app says I have like <500 miles on the odometer. That’s a fraction of my milage on garmin connect or trailforks for the same period. Doesn’t bother me, but weird!

CBA3FE60-D029-41E2-89D3-0DFC11F6D479.jpeg

Psythepie

Nov 28, 2022
UK
Has anyone that has the OEM upper headset gap installed a new headset and had the gap go away?
I recently installed a Cane Creek Hellbender 70 & the gap is much better. I'm not 100% certain that the seal of the new top cover is in contact over it's full dia' due to the curve of the carbon around that area of the frame but I think it is. It also has a proper crown race seal & is a far better product all round.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Last weekend I was thinking about doing the same rides last year on a Norco Sight VLT. The Norco was mostly great, but carrying it over down trees (or when the 630wh battery was done) made me realize I don’t want a eBike that’s so heavy it’s a liability without the assist.

So many backcountry rides have hike-a-bike. The EXe weight is totally bearable for carrying, and being able to carry additional battery weight off the bike is sweet. Also very happy with the geometry and suspension.

One oddity: the Trek app says I have like <500 miles on the odometer. That’s a fraction of my milage on garmin connect or trailforks for the same period. Doesn’t bother me, but weird!

View attachment 117803
You bike is sick. I’ll have to compare my Trek app to my Strava or Garmin. My 900 and change miles were taken from the Trek app.

I am really looking forward to my extra battery, especially given your experience with the extra weight on your back. I know there are a lot of people that put full size 720 wh batteries in their pack, this 360 wh should be no big deal.

Last edited:

konamac

Apr 6, 2023
Namibia

View attachment 117803
That rig sure is looking dialled! If I'm not mistaken you have two 360Wh batteries, and my second battery is due to arrive next week, it just made more sense for my application too. My question for you (If you use the Trek app to record rides) is what happens when you are mid ride and power down and swap batteries? Does it confuse the App which is clearly geared to showing you the main battery and range extender data. How does it process the fact that the battery is suddenly full again? Re you mileage on the Trek App, that is strange, as when I record rides on both the App and Garmin Connect, they are pretty closely matched in terms of distance but the Trek App always underreports my ride time, irrespective of wether there is any stopping on the ride or not.

konamac

Apr 6, 2023
Namibia
You bike is sick. I’ll have to compare my Trek app to my Strava or Garmin. My 900 and change miles were taken from the Trek app.

I am really looking forward to my extra battery, especially given your experience with the extra weight on your back. I know there are a lot of people that put full size 720 wh batteries in their pack, this 360 wh should be no big deal.
Haha! Are we posting in parallel or what... also waiting for my spare battery and dedicated backpack to carry it! We compare notes soon! I'll also check my "odometer" on Garmin and Trek App and see if there is a major difference.

konamac

Apr 6, 2023
Namibia
I think it is a dealer only update.
Agreed, no capacity in the TQ or Trek App to do any firmware update, you need the dealer software and service dongle... which is very different from Specialized and most car manufacturers these days that offer "over the air" firmware upgrades.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
That rig sure is looking dialled! If I'm not mistaken you have two 360Wh batteries, and my second battery is due to arrive next week, it just made more sense for my application too. My question for you (If you use the Trek app to record rides) is what happens when you are mid ride and power down and swap batteries? Does it confuse the App which is clearly geared to showing you the main battery and range extender data. How does it process the fact that the battery is suddenly full again? Re you mileage on the Trek App, that is strange, as when I record rides on both the App and Garmin Connect, they are pretty closely matched in terms of distance but the Trek App always underreports my ride time, irrespective of wether there is any stopping on the ride or not.

Thanks, yeah I'm loving it!

I only use the Trek/TQ apps to adjust the motor settings, which I do adjust frequently. Not using the app is probably why the milage is all over the board. Makes me wonder how the bike milage is being recorded, is it off the GPS (which would explain why my readings are low), or based off the magnet (in which case mullet would throw things off slightly)

I do use a Garmin watch, and garmin connect which syncs to trailforks and RWGps. This post probably answers your question about how the range appears.

There are so many other benefits to having 2 batteries. Battery care- not fully charging/depleting either battery. And like this weekend, going camping and taking both batteries fully charged, so I won't need to charge off-grid.

In other news- check out this NSMB review;
NSMB.com - 2023 Trek Fuel EXe 9.9 XX1 AXS Long Term Review

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone

I only use the Trek/TQ apps to adjust the motor settings, which I do adjust frequently. Not using the app is probably why the milage is all over the board. Makes me wonder how the bike milage is being recorded, is it off the GPS (which would explain why my readings are low), or based off the magnet (in which case mullet would throw things off slightly)

I do use a Garmin watch, and garmin connect which syncs to trailforks and RWGps. This post probably answers your question about how the range appears.

There are so many other benefits to having 2 batteries. Battery care- not fully charging/depleting either battery. And like this weekend, going camping and taking both batteries fully charged, so I won't need to charge off-grid.

Nice review, except he says that you can't ride the bike without the main battery fitted because it's a structural member of the frame. This is wrong, and trek even say in their materials that you can ride the bike without the battery fitted.

konamac

Apr 6, 2023
Namibia

I'm open to correction, but pretty sure mileage is related to the motor as it's the main "wear" component. I'm on my third motor under warranty, (so far this ones a keeper!) I replaced mine a couple of weeks ago and now have a reading of 125km's which agrees with my Garmin for the new motor. Total distance on the bike is around 420km.

I'e asked the Trek agents to please give some feedback to the App developers to include the ability to store and retrieve different power profile configurations quickly, lets hope they are listening...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles