Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
my standard flat BB spanner worked fine with the giant magnet linked above.
I bought a similar specialized magnet and a park BBT-9 spanner would not clear it, when using a Wolftooth external spline lockring. Since the magnet should align with the sensor (maybe that's a standard dimension) I'm guessing it's the lockring which creates issues.

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
Has anyone had this issue? I made a seat post height change. Recommend torque on the clamp is 6-9nm. I torqued it to 6 and my dropped was a little sticky coming back up at the at the top. I dropped it to 5 and that seems to be ok for the dropper. I couldn’t imaging torquing it to 9nm. I feel like something would break. Hopefully the post will stay put at 5.
I had the same issue on my 9.8XT. Dropper would not move even when forking to min spec or even lower. Trek ended up replacing the entire seat post under warranty after first trying to replace just the cartridge.

wizard604

Jul 30, 2022
Vancouver
I'm over 6 months into ownership of this bike, 9.8XT and I must admit it's a wonderful thing but not without its flaws.

The one thing I struggle with is the lack of ISCG05 mounts for a bashguard.

I've killed two chainrings now on not particularly chunky trails.
Might just be luck, lack of skill or finesse but it seems I'd benefit from one.

Time to set it in high, running a 32t chainring and 160mm forks. Hopefully that makes the difference.
You're not alone. I've smacked my chainring a few times now and I'm running it in high setting. Fortunately I haven't broken anything yet but it seems it's just a matter of time.

konamac

Apr 6, 2023
Namibia
Hi All, first time poster here, new 9.8XT owner.

Did my first two rides over the weekend, both around 32km's no issues, bike felt good. Only noises from the motor being a healthy barely audible whine / whirring while pedalling silently uphill and a slight "lugging" sound when you get your gearing horribly wrong and ask too much at low cadence. Totally normal, cars motorbikes and other ebikes do the same.

However this morning I hopped on for a quick ride, set off from the house, turned the assist to Eco and while pedalling down the road at a normal relaxed cadence (85ish) and speed (20+km/h) the assist starts to feel inconsistent as if its cutting out and coming back on. After the cut and power comes back on there was also a strange low growling noise like reported in the "TQ HPR50 Grinding Thread"

Tested in Trail mode and no different. I did wash the bike on Sunday, but upright and only with extremely low tap water pressure and bucket and brush, checked battery to motor connector to be safe and there is no issue with water ingress there.

Anyone else had these symptoms? Read a lot about the noises and software upgrades, but can't find info on the support inconsistency.

Thanks

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone

Did my first two rides over the weekend, both around 32km's no issues, bike felt good. Only noises from the motor being a healthy barely audible whine / whirring while pedalling silently uphill and a slight "lugging" sound when you get your gearing horribly wrong and ask too much at low cadence. Totally normal, cars motorbikes and other ebikes do the same.

However this morning I hopped on for a quick ride, set off from the house, turned the assist to Eco and while pedalling down the road at a normal relaxed cadence (85ish) and speed (20+km/h) the assist starts to feel inconsistent as if its cutting out and coming back on. After the cut and power comes back on there was also a strange low growling noise like reported in the "TQ HPR50 Grinding Thread"

Tested in Trail mode and no different. I did wash the bike on Sunday, but upright and only with extremely low tap water pressure and bucket and brush, checked battery to motor connector to be safe and there is no issue with water ingress there.

Anyone else had these symptoms? Read a lot about the noises and software upgrades, but can't find info on the support inconsistency.

Thanks
Have you taken your cranks off and refitted them? If so they need to be fitted in the exact same position as they were befrlore I relation to the axle otherwise you will get similar symptoms to what you described. It will correct itself after a few hundred metres and then be fine.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK

Thanks
I have noticed this too when riding right at the cutoff limit. I think it's the motor trying to figure out if it should assist or not and the clutch engaging/disengaging all the time. I only ever experienced it in this exact scenario.

konamac

Apr 6, 2023
Namibia
Have you taken your cranks off and refitted them? If so they need to be fitted in the exact same position as they were befrlore I relation to the axle otherwise you will get similar symptoms to what you described. It will correct itself after a few hundred metres and then be fine.
Definitely didn't remove the cranks, just cleaned the bike. I do think the standard gap between the rear pickup and the magnet on the rotor looks quite large, wondered maybe a weak signal here might cause issues? I'll need to measure and check against manual.
I have noticed this too when riding right at the cutoff limit. I think it's the motor trying to figure out if it should assist or not and the clutch engaging/disengaging all the time. I only ever experienced it in this exact scenario.
Definitely well below the cutoff, that was the first thing I checked. Bike is set to 20mph / 32 km/h and speeds was around 22km/h max when this was occurring....

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States

Thanks
the issues I have noticed were the grinding noise from the clutch which only happens at very low motor outputs below 20 watts. This is still an issue on my bike and has not been resolved. I sort of got used to it as it doesn’t seem to affect anything and has not gotten worse. The second issue I had was similar to what you are describing. In the high mode (and only in the high mode), I felt the motor cutting out suddenly when climbing hard. When starting out pedaling I would get significant boost but when maintaining a steady cadence at a rider output of around 170 watts, the motor would maybe deliver 20 watts. This issue had been much improved with a software update Trek put on the bike when it was last in the shop back in Jan/Feb. I still feel that it should give me more support on the highest efforts but I wonder if the motor may be getting hot and limiting its output. When I ride up a steep grade at 170 watt rider input I only get about 150w from the bike with high mode settings all maxed out. I would expect to get close to 300 watts at that point. I wonder if others see that too.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
the issues I have noticed were the grinding noise from the clutch which only happens at very low motor outputs below 20 watts. This is still an issue on my bike and has not been resolved. I sort of got used to it as it doesn’t seem to affect anything and has not gotten worse. The second issue I had was similar to what you are describing. In the high mode (and only in the high mode), I felt the motor cutting out suddenly when climbing hard. When starting out pedaling I would get significant boost but when maintaining a steady cadence at a rider output of around 170 watts, the motor would maybe deliver 20 watts. This issue had been much improved with a software update Trek put on the bike when it was last in the shop back in Jan/Feb. I still feel that it should give me more support on the highest efforts but I wonder if the motor may be getting hot and limiting its output. When I ride up a steep grade at 170 watt rider input I only get about 150w from the bike with high mode settings all maxed out. I would expect to get close to 300 watts at that point. I wonder if others see that too.
That's odd,mine doesn't do that.if I'm in max mode (set to 150% assist for me) and I put in 200w, the motor outputs a steady 300w

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
That's odd,mine doesn't do that.if I'm in max mode (set to 150% assist for me) and I put in 200w, the motor outputs a steady 300w
That is interesting. I might need to have a chat with the Trek team then. Did you see the wattage on the integrated display or did you use a connected Garmin?

Last edited:

shure2

Nov 3, 2022
New Zealand
I'm looking as budget options to upgrade the 9.5 suspension which is currently in for a service due to an air leak.

Option 1: $500 USD (new)
- Fox Performance 36 taken from a 9.7 Fuel EX (not EXe): Float EVOL air spring, GRIP damper, 180mm steerer, 44 mm offset, Boost110, 15 mm Kabolt axle, 150 mm travel.

Option 2: $500 USD (used about 6 times in total)
- Fox Rhythm 36 (taken from 9.7) and upgraded to Grip2 with 160mm

Option 3: $990 USD (new)
- 2022 FOX 36 FLOAT FACTORY GRIP 2, 160mm travel.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm more into charging downhill and hitting jumps and find the Rockshock 35RL Gold lacking.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Pro Tip! Tubolito 29” tube fits very nicely inside the frame, under the battery door. Almost room to spare.

I had to walk home from a ride last week after a bead failed on my rear tire. A tube wouldn’t have helped (we tried) but it was a reminder to come prepared.

3AE08476-1AF4-482C-BC73-B5F4AC76B7DC.jpeg

Borut

Mar 21, 2021
Slovenia
Is any one expiriencing same clicking noise when pedal with motor turned off or over 25kmh....? Its not compensation screw or anything else...its from motor, because when u turn on assistance clicking sound is gone.
Bike is lumen :

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Is any one expiriencing same clicking noise when pedal with motor turned off or over 25kmh....? Its not compensation screw or anything else...its from motor, because when u turn on assistance clicking sound is gone.
Bike is lumen :

probably motor bolts that need tightening. find the torque wrench. Just tighten all bolts while you are at it.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
It's hard to tell based on the pic. The angle is off. The seat post is not centered to the stem so the dish of the rear wheel in this pic looks off.
Actually, I just measured with calipers from the edge of the seatpost to the outside of the stem. The picture is perfect, within one half of a millimeter. Now, if I line the post up with the rear wheel, this is what I get.
E674A85D-CCE6-4459-B158-1FB8C77A3A55.jpeg

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Actually, I just measured with calipers from the edge of the seatpost to the outside of the stem. The picture is perfect, within one half of a millimeter. Now, if I line the post up with the rear wheel, this is what I get.
You mean you measured the picture?

There is a way to measure frame alignment, but I think it’s very unlikely to be the cause. run string from one dropout, up & around the head tube, back to the other drop-out. Then measure distance between the string and seat tube on both sides with calipers- should be same.

My money is on wheel dish, or possibly hub spacing (I.e. its a 145 or 142 wheel with the hub spaced to 148mm, but the wheel has not been re-dished)

Last edited:

pat1032

Feb 22, 2023
santa cruz
So I’m getting some creaking noises when I pedal uphill by the motor. The guy I bought the bike from said it’s most likely the motor bolts that need tightening or re greasing. My local bike shop tightened them but not sure if they re greased them. Anyhow it’s still making the noise and I can’t unscrew the motor bolts in order to grease them with my mutitool considering how tightened they are. Any thoughts?

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
As mentioned earlier, tighten everything to spec, not just motor bolts.
It can be any of the linkage bolt and it can be the rear end where the rear wheel axle goes in. Just look at the picture from the manual and tighten everything that would/could move when you pedal.
If that does not work, take the entire thing apart, grease it up and tighten it again to spec.

Borut

Mar 21, 2021
Slovenia
As mentioned earlier, tighten everything to spec, not just motor bolts.
It can be any of the linkage bolt and it can be the rear end where the rear wheel axle goes in. Just look at the picture from the manual and tighten everything that would/could move when you pedal.
If that does not work, take the entire thing apart, grease it up and tighten it again to spec.
Done everything. When u go over 25kmh when motor ON its clicking, when motor off its clicking everytime. Also when asistance below 20w also clicking...when assistance over 20w clicking stops.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Done everything. When u go over 25kmh when motor ON its clicking, when motor off its clicking everytime. Also when asistance below 20w also clicking...when assistance over 20w clicking stops.
if you remain convinced it has to do with assistance of the motor, then it must be something inside of the motor and you have to get it looked at by the dealer / TQ

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
So I’m getting some creaking noises when I pedal uphill by the motor. The guy I bought the bike from said it’s most likely the motor bolts that need tightening or re greasing. My local bike shop tightened them but not sure if they re greased them. Anyhow it’s still making the noise and I can’t unscrew the motor bolts in order to grease them with my mutitool considering how tightened they are. Any thoughts?
It could be your motor, or bolts, or it could be just about anything else. eBikes require a lot of maintenance, not just the Fuel EXe.

For me, the motor has been the quietest and lowest Maintenace part of the bike. I wouldn't assume it's the motor (or motor bolts) until you've checked the pedals, pedal bearings, crank arm bolts, rear axle, derailuer (at hanger bolt), cassette greased & tight on the freehub, check all pivots w/torque wrench, and ruled out the seatpost (assuming it does click when you're out of the saddle)

ragetty

Nov 20, 2022
Bad Tölz, Germany
Hi community,

I’m probably going to get shot down with ‘search yourself’ replies, but here goes:

My 9.8 XT is coming this week, I was wondering if there is a quick check list of things to look for before rolling out of the shop? The Trek dealer should be able to see what of any hardware/software updates might have been applied, right … or will Trek Central show at least any pending firmware updates?

Thanks in advance …

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
Hi community,

I’m probably going to get shot down with ‘search yourself’ replies, but here goes:

My 9.8 XT is coming this week, I was wondering if there is a quick check list of things to look for before rolling out of the shop? The Trek dealer should be able to see what of any hardware/software updates might have been applied, right … or will Trek Central show at least any pending firmware updates?

Thanks in advance …
I have a good friend in Bad Tölz (Wolfram). Nice Place! Here are the things I came across with my bike which was an early one back on Oct 1, 2022:
1. Bike came with the wrong cranks. Aluminum instead of e13 carbon cranks.
2. Headset was loose and not greased properly (shop fixed it)
3. Seat post dropper cable was excessively long (shop shortened it)
4. Grinding noise from motor at low wattage (LT 20 Watts). Still an ‘issue’
5. Motor cutting out in high mode. . Fixed with last software update.
6. Motor not providing full power in high mode. Still an issue
7. Dropper post died after 4 Months. Would not move up when torqued to specs. (Replaced by Trek)

despite this, I really like the bike. Suspension of the 9.8 and brakes are great! Bike is super balanced. Motor in med mode feels amazingly natural. Viel Glück !

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles