Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
@njatherton just a stupid question: if the battery has 360 Wh and you used your bike for little less than 3 hours with 50 W average motor power, why is the battery empty? should you not have used only 150 Whs (50w x 3 h)?

Can anybody help me?
The motor power metric in the trek app is not accurate

Jan 25, 2023
Sweden
Hey all, been following this thread for a while and now finally got my Exe 9.8 GX AXS! Awesome bike, hoping it will replace both my bikes - Slash and Supercaliber. Will get back with some ride reports soon!

Could not find info from Trek or TQ, or on forums... The bike measures measure engine watts, but does it also measure my own efforts(in watts)? When riding, I do not get any watts for my own efforts. Do I need an additional powermeter for this?
Thanks for advise.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Hey all, been following this thread for a while and now finally got my Exe 9.8 GX AXS! Awesome bike, hoping it will replace both my bikes - Slash and Supercaliber. Will get back with some ride reports soon!

Could not find info from Trek or TQ, or on forums... The bike measures measure engine watts, but does it also measure my own efforts(in watts)? When riding, I do not get any watts for my own efforts. Do I need an additional powermeter for this?
Thanks for advise.
yes, it does measure your watts, you can have them displayed on the bikes display (just cycle through the various screens using the button on the display until you get to the power display), or you can connect a garmin (or otehr bikecomputer) to the bike and get your power transmitted to the garmin as a data field .

I dont think its as accurate as a dedicated power meter, but its good enough for an idea of your power

Jan 25, 2023
Sweden
yes, it does measure your watts, you can have them displayed on the bikes display (just cycle through the various screens using the button on the display until you get to the power display), or you can connect a garmin (or otehr bikecomputer) to the bike and get your power transmitted to the garmin as a data field .

I dont think its as accurate as a dedicated power meter, but its good enough for an idea of your power
Ok, thanks. Guess something's wrong then. When riding, I get the bike(engine) watts, but my own efforts is zero all the time. Anyone knows source of this problem?
I did change to aftermarket E13 carbon cranks, if that could have any affect??

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Ok, thanks. Guess something's wrong then. When riding, I get the bike(engine) watts, but my own efforts is zero all the time. Anyone knows source of this problem?
I did change to aftermarket E13 carbon cranks, if that could have any affect??

you mean its showing 0 watts on the bike display, or zero on your garmin/other bike computer?

Thats odd, sounds like a fault, it should display your power , changing the cranks shouldnt make any difference, the sensor for your power is inside the motor, and not part of the cranks.

If its not detecting your power at all then you'd expect the motor to throw an error because it uses your power input to determine how much power the motor should add.

Time to take it back to the shop if you're certain your on the correct screen on the display (I cant see how you might not be on the correct screen , but anyway.....)

Jan 25, 2023
Sweden
you mean its showing 0 watts on the bike display, or zero on your garmin/other bike computer?

Thats odd, sounds like a fault, it should display your power , changing the cranks shouldnt make any difference, the sensor for your power is inside the motor, and not part of the cranks.

If its not detecting your power at all then you'd expect the motor to throw an error because it uses your power input to determine how much power the motor should add.

Time to take it back to the shop if you're certain your on the correct screen on the display (I cant see how you might not be on the correct screen , but anyway.....)
Yeah it's kinda odd... And yes its on the TQ display(did not connect my Garmin just yet). Engine works, so I presume it somehow reads my wattage/input, even though it doesn't want to show it on the display. Maybe the bike is just being polite, given my low efforts😂
Anyway the shop will have to look at it I guess. Thanks for advise!

Jan 26, 2023
Australia
Just got the coil on.
IMG_0141 (1).jpeg
IMG_0146.jpg
IMG_0141 (1).jpeg

thomasbran

Feb 15, 2023
Italy
Hi, does anybody know where I can find a 30T direct mount chainring that suits or a 104 spider (to put a 30T chainring on)?

Cheers,
Thomas

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
First time I have nearly run dry. Pre-ride at 100% battery estimated miles was 42 but given the amount of climbing I did I am happy with that distance. I was in Eco 99.5% of the time with 3 very quick bursts at Mid to get up some steeper sections. 

View attachment 106780 View attachment 106781
Thank you! That's helpful, for sure.
I'm 70 years old, in Park City, Utah. Almost all of my rides start at 6800 feet (2072M) and end at close to 10,000 feet (3048M). Most are also 12 to 30 miles. I'm 165 Lbs (75Kg). I've been riding here on these trails for 30 years and I was really afraid of not having enough range, but this gives me a LOT of hope! I also would be running low power. I just want to go from 90% max HR to 70% max HR on more of my rides.
Is that just with the 360wh battery? Not with the 160wh battery as well?

Last edited:

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
Looking hard at the 9.7 build. My basement is practically a "parts locker" for gear.
I'm inclined to swap out the wheelset with an i9 Trail 270 wheelset, which has an XD driver with a SRAM XO1 1295 cassette.
I could replace the chain (have a SRAM available) but I think the Shimano chain would be fine.
Anyone think there'd be problems with this? I think the way I'll ride this, the torque on the system (me + motor) will be about equal to what I put out now.
I also have a 12 speed XO1 shifter and derailleur.

This will be my first ebike.
I'm happy with the specs, but I hate to not use these components, since they're so nice.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
I could replace the chain (have a SRAM available) but I think the Shimano chain would be fine.
Anyone think there'd be problems with this?
On 12spd, the cassette and chain do need to be same brand. I don't know exactly why, but I have done all sorts of mixing/matching and that's the deal. I can also verify that shimano 12spd shifter/derailleur work with SRAM 12spd cassette/chain. Not as good as full Sram but certainly good enough.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
On 12spd, the cassette and chain do need to be same brand. I don't know exactly why, but I have done all sorts of mixing/matching and that's the deal. I can also verify that shimano 12spd shifter/derailleur work with SRAM 12spd cassette/chain. Not as good as full Sram but certainly good enough.
Thank you.
I did go to E13's site. Their chainrings work with everything, so that makes it easy.

BenQ77

Aug 27, 2022
Germany
Hello everyone!
I've been the proud owner of a 9.8 for 2 weeks.
I can have additional pages shown on the display via the TQ app. Unfortunately I can only select one value (e.g. cadence). On Trek's default pages, it shows me two values. Can I adjust this somehow? I would like to have cadence and watts from motor.

Thanks for tips.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
I put a new saddle on my 9.7 and I have the hardest time getting the saddle level while keeping the torque equal on both bolts. I’ve never had a problem doing that on my other bikes. I even put a little grease on the bottom of the cradle so it can slide easier. Does anyone know what those two bolts should be torqued at?

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Hello everyone!
I've been the proud owner of a 9.8 for 2 weeks.
I can have additional pages shown on the display via the TQ app. Unfortunately I can only select one value (e.g. cadence). On Trek's default pages, it shows me two values. Can I adjust this somehow? I would like to have cadence and watts from motor.

Thanks for tips.
Cadence would be nice to see. Because, I notice on my 9.7 that the motor seems to produce more power at a certain cadence.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
I put a new saddle on my 9.7 and I have the hardest time getting the saddle level while keeping the torque equal on both bolts. I’ve never had a problem doing that on my other bikes. I even put a little grease on the bottom of the cradle so it can slide easier. Does anyone know what those two bolts should be torqued at?
I think most saddles tighten to 8NM. I generally tighten the bolts down pretty snug to get the angle I want - maybe 5 or 6 NM by feel. Once they're that tight, using a torque wrench to tighten alternately front and back until one hits 8, then get the other to 8. That keeps it pretty much where you levelled it initially. At that point, I don't go back and check the other bolt. They can be off a little from one another.
The torque setting might be on the top of the dropper clamp.

Last edited:

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
I moved my controls around on the dropper side. I like my levers a little bit inboard, so I can hook the end of the lever with my index finger. So, I slid the lever assemblies in a little bit.
I moved the control switch to the left of the brake lever assembly tab and I moved the dropper lever bracket on the inside of the brake lever bracket. Then I ran the control switch wire on the inside of the dropper bracket so nothing can snag it. I think this will work better for me.
81DB5713-D06B-47C4-8611-43EB1D85B3A6.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles