Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
. . . Problem is to install the offset bushing correctly and to keep it in the reversed orientation. .
Be careful. Offset bushings are intended to lower the rear end. Suspension forces are likely to rotate the bushing (axle pin) 180° so you could end up lowering the rear. Check it regularly.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
can you point me in the right direction regarding obtaining this offset bushing?
The bushing/axle pin should be oriented with the hole closest to the shock body, effectively shortening the eye-to-eye, to lower the rear end. If you orient it away from the shock body it will increase the eye-to-eye and raise the rear, but forces are likely to cause it to rotate back toward the shock body.

Last edited:

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Yes I changed my air spring on my 22 Pike Ultimate to 160 and high mode. Fox Float X shock stock on the 9.7. What’s your measured BB height? I’m right at 13” to middle of crank bolt or 330mm. Lower than my 5010 27.5 in low mode haha (336mm)
Sounds about right. I just re-measured and I’m at 334mm (13.15”). My worn rear tire may have dropped the BB 😅 That’s with the Zeb 160mm and Minions F&R.

I’m finding the BB to be just right, but I like low BB’s and our trails are more flow/loam and not much chunky rock.

I asked about the set-up because I see a lot of people running very linear shocks (coils and X2s) and that could definitely lead to more pedal strikes. On mulleted bikes I’ve found that shock tuning is critical to making the low BB work. Adding 5-10psi, adding volume spacers, or more compression damping can all add some support, without necessarily changing the sag. Cool that you have the float X- I was disappointed that the Select+ on the 9.8 has no compression adjustment. My bike is riding higher now with the Ohlins TTX1.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
I'm really interested in this bit of the conversation. I'm 5'6" and my last 3 bikes have been mullets, though all bar one have had more travel than my Fuel EXe. I've still yet to ride my new bike (literally sat here now, with it in the living room, waiting for it to warm up enough to get the Invisiframe kit on! Also don't want to ride it until the new shock bolt is here.) and am keen to keep it 29" at the rear if I can, even considering shortening the shock (Float X) stroke and increasing spacers for progression. Has anyone else shortened the shock stroke? It would drop to 57.5mm, which equates to 135mm of rear travel - not much difference, I know, but every little helps! I've already fitted 155mm cranks. Anyhow, need to actually get to ride it first, before I start making any decisions like that...

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
Raleigh, NC
I'm really interested in this bit of the conversation. I'm 5'6" and my last 3 bikes have been mullets, though all bar one have had more travel than my Fuel EXe. I've still yet to ride my new bike (literally sat here now, with it in the living room, waiting for it to warm up enough to get the Invisiframe kit on! Also don't want to ride it until the new shock bolt is here.) and am keen to keep it 29" at the rear if I can, even considering shortening the shock (Float X) stroke and increasing spacers for progression. Has anyone else shortened the shock stroke? It would drop to 57.5mm, which equates to 135mm of rear travel - not much difference, I know, but every little helps! I've already fitted 155mm cranks. Anyhow, need to actually get to ride it first, before I start making any decisions like that...
Hey sorry I can’t answer your question but may I ask which 155mm cranks you purchased? I am unsure if I need to find TQ specific cranks for compatibility or if just ISIS is sufficient. Anyway, please link me I’d love to find some shorter cranks as I’m mulleted but have considered putting back on the 29” with 2.4 XR4.

This also leads me to wonder about long stroking the shock with mullet set up as I am 5’6” with a 29.5” inseam. I prefer the smaller wheel outback. I’ll have to look into this as well..

Last edited:

steveL

Nov 11, 2022
Southeast BC
Hey sorry I can’t answer your question but may I ask which 155mm cranks you purchased? I am unsure if I need to find TQ specific cranks for compatibility or if just ISIS is sufficient. Anyway, please link me I’d love to find some shorter cranks as I’m mulleted but have considered putting back on the 29” with 2.4 XR4.

This also leads me to wonder about long stroking the shock with mullet set up as I am 5’6” with a 29.5” inseam. I prefer the smaller wheel outback. I’ll have to look into this as well..
I am curious why you would shorten the shock stroke and the travel? I have a medium EXe and I am also 5'6 with about 28 inch inseam, it fits just fine. As for pedal strikes, I came from a bike with a very low BB so this seems like heaven.

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
Raleigh, NC
I am curious why you would shorten the shock stroke and the travel? I have a medium EXe and I am also 5'6 with about 28 inch inseam, it fits just fine. As for pedal strikes, I came from a bike with a very low BB so this seems like heaven.
I do not like having no Standover. Mullet helps that but right now the bb in mullet is extra low. I like how the bike handles though in Max and I like shorter cranks so even shorter would be nice to check out. I was asking about long stroking the Shock after other person was asking about short stroking.

steveL

Nov 11, 2022
Southeast BC
I do not like having no Standover. Mullet helps that but right now the bb in mullet is extra low. I like how the bike handles though in Max and I like shorter cranks so even shorter would be nice to check out. I was asking about long stroking the Shock after other person was asking about short stroking.
Interesting that you have no standover, mine seems fine? I assume you are on a medium frame?

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Increasing the stroke of the shock will lower the bike at bottom-out, but the static height will remain the same (because the shock eye-to-eye length is unchanged). Unfortunately anything you could do to increase standover will also lower the BB.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Had a great ride today, bike is running so well! 2750’ , 15 miles, finished with 9% battery. Wet slippery mushy downhill! Spent most all of the ride in trail mode, but with the max power at 300w.

40D878D6-DF49-4CBE-9C5C-BD2E0BC8D45D.jpeg 67C850CB-97A3-44BF-9D57-A0A6D00BC2DF.jpeg

Treksurfer

Oct 22, 2022
Austria
unfortunately it seems to be impossible to get an RS Ultimate with compression tune m. I am therefore looking for a Fox FLOAT X2 with compression tune m. Please does anyone have an original Fox FLOAT X2 installed in the Trek Fuel Ex-e and can write me the 4 digit code or serial number. Then I can start looking for the right FLOAT X2. Thank you!

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Just reading this article by guy kestevan talking about his gear of the year (fuel exe gets a mention) - Gear of the year – Guy Kesteven selects his top 10 MTB products of 2022

But in the same section he talks about the fuel exe , he says this

While it’s certainly not the first lighter weight e-MTB, it certainly cements the relevance of that segment and with the menu of software updates we’ve had hinted at, it marks a next level shift in how you, your bike, it’s usage and the shop/brand will interact in the future. Genuinely EXeciting stuff...

Anyone know what the software updates he is talking about might be?

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
Raleigh, NC
Just reading this article by guy kestevan talking about his gear of the year (fuel exe gets a mention) - Gear of the year – Guy Kesteven selects his top 10 MTB products of 2022

But in the same section he talks about the fuel exe , he says this

While it’s certainly not the first lighter weight e-MTB, it certainly cements the relevance of that segment and with the menu of software updates we’ve had hinted at, it marks a next level shift in how you, your bike, it’s usage and the shop/brand will interact in the future. Genuinely EXeciting stuff...

Anyone know what the software updates he is talking about might be?
Only rumor I’ve even seen mentioned by media is a mullet wheel speed update. I have some personal wants such as one custom page on the bikes display that you can choose what’s displayed on top and on the bottom. For example current speed up top and battery percentage on bottom. I feel like this should be easier to implement since those display screens already exist.
A suggestion I’ve seen is being able to change motor setting (eco,trail,boost) from the bike display itself in case of remote failure.

mitea

Sep 10, 2022
Switzerland - LU
Only rumor I’ve even seen mentioned by media is a mullet wheel speed update. I have some personal wants such as one custom page on the bikes display that you can choose what’s displayed on top and on the bottom. For example current speed up top and battery percentage on bottom. I feel like this should be easier to implement since those display screens already exist.
A suggestion I’ve seen is being able to change motor setting (eco,trail,boost) from the bike display itself in case of remote failure.
Flexibility of the screen is very limited since its a segmented display. But there is also a heart symbol and BPM on the display and some arrows that I haven't seen used somewhere. Maybe it will be possible to connect a HRM to the bike and control the support according to the heart rate. Something similar is possible with the Levos also.

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
Raleigh, NC
Flexibility of the screen is very limited since its a segmented display. But there is also a heart symbol and BPM on the display and some arrows that I haven't seen used somewhere. Maybe it will be possible to connect a HRM to the bike and control the support according to the heart rate. Something similar is possible with the Levos also.
Yeah what I meant was using what’s already displayed on other pages but make a custom segmented top and bottom instead of the default pages mix and match one top segment and one bottom segment from various pages into one additional page that can be toggled through

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
With my Garmin 530 set to 9 data fields with auto scroll on, the amount of data being displayed can be distracting. I find that I use the dual current wattage screen almost exclusively on the bike.

Interesting though that during boot up of the TQ screen I can see both red and green graphics for a split second. Maybe there is some color in there after all?

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
Raleigh, NC
Interesting though that during boot up of the TQ screen I can see both red and green graphics for a split second. Maybe there is some color in there after all?
RGB make the white LED color, so yes technically there is mini LED in red and green and blue, unsure if it could be fully utilized though, maybe due to problems seeing those LED's outside - the total brightness in nits on the screen is likely too low for other colors aside from white in the outdoors.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
With my Garmin 530 set to 9 data fields with auto scroll on, the amount of data being displayed can be distracting. I find that I use the dual current wattage screen almost exclusively on the bike.

the range extender battery level is shown in green just below the main battery level display according to the tq user manual.

1671035665875.png

Flow81

Oct 27, 2022
Cape Town
Like others have noted, the bike feels close to a normal bike without the battery.

BUT when I pedal the bike with battery and motor turned on, set to no assistance, I feel considerable drag through the pedals. It feels so odd, like a disc brake dragging the bike down. It feels like a giant magnet on the pedals.

Anyone else experienced this?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Like others have noted, the bike feels close to a normal bike without the battery.

BUT when I pedal the bike with battery and motor turned on, set to no assistance, I feel considerable drag through the pedals. It feels so odd, like a disc brake dragging the bike down. It feels like a giant magnet on the pedals.

no, it feels like there is no drag at all , regardless of whether its turned on but with no assistance or turned off, or battery removed.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
I wonder about this. Not sure is just your mind playing games. I guess you could stop and turn the system completely off and try it to see if it drags less.

I notice that when I start out with the motor on and the assistance off that it pedals great. If I turn the assistance off while pedaling there seems to be some extra drag.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone

Test it by putting the bike in a workstand, take the chain off and turn the pedals by hand, this should show up any drag if there is any. In my case its as near as damnit identical to when i perform this on a regular bike.

Flow81

Oct 27, 2022
Cape Town
I wonder about this. Not sure is just your mind playing games. I guess you could stop and turn the system completely off and try it to see if it drags less.

I notice that when I start out with the motor on and the assistance off that it pedals great. If I turn the assistance off while pedaling there seems to be some extra drag.
Yea thats it, when I start out with assistance off there is no drag. If I turn the system off while on a ride, there us a lot of drag. Strange.

Maybe when the motor is hot there is drag, or something magnetic that causes the suck down. Dunno.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Great- I suspect its a poor sensor located roughly between my ears. Once you get used to the magic wind at your back its really difficult to recalibrate. On my E8000 Decoy I would have it in Trail up the steeps and as the grade lessened I would down select into Eco. If you got it right it was great if not, if felt like you threw out an anchor. The EXe is really smooth on this in general.

dannyb

Oct 6, 2022
Calabasas, CA
Does anyone know if the big "TREK" logo on the downtube is a removable sticker or is it actually painted on? Mine is covered w frame protector so I can't check.

Frankyspec

Dec 3, 2022
Belgium
Hello everyone,
I am new on this forum, Frank from Belgium. Very interesting forum and currently still( mtb more than 20 years) on non emtb, Cannondale fsi and looking to buy the Trek EXe 9.8 XT or the Orbea Rise M10 model 2023… difficult choice.
Are there bikers who already change the settings of region from EU towards US settings? Is this already possible with the TQ motor of the Trek? I already did a test drive on the Rise M10 and whas a very nice experience , we ride mostly above 25km/h (except uphill)and would be great to have support around 32 km/h…
Many thanks for sharing all your experience 👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles