SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

Phatty

Feb 18, 2021
Utah
Hey all, finally building my beast!
For sure going to order carbon cranks, and the Nukeproof headset. This stock headset is not good.

Unfortunately mine came with v2 screen so I need to replace it with v3.

720wh and I’ll get a full weight for you once I’ve got shock bushings. I have full build list but right now I’m just below 4k usd with very high end components shopping sales over the last few months.

Does anyone have links to a lighter spider?
IMG_3327.jpeg
IMG_3325.jpeg
Also is there anyone with a phone mount 3d printer for the fake power button spot on top of the frame?

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
Hey all, finally building my beast!
For sure going to order carbon cranks, and the Nukeproof headset. This stock headset is not good.

Unfortunately mine came with v2 screen so I need to replace it with v3.

720wh and I’ll get a full weight for you once I’ve got shock bushings. I have full build list but right now I’m just below 4k usd with very high end components shopping sales over the last few months.

Does anyone have links to a lighter spider?
View attachment 126742 View attachment 126743 Also is there anyone with a phone mount 3d printer for the fake power button spot on top of the frame?
May be You can somehow adopt this SP Connect Cap onto the power button plate?

IMG_1286.png

Phatty

Feb 18, 2021
Utah
I've decided this rear axle is garbage. Nearly stripped out second time pulling it out...
I thought I read somewhere that the rear axle is a 12x179 in a 1.5 thread? I am only finding 12x180mm axles. Will that work or do i need to go down to 178?

Phatty

Feb 18, 2021
Utah

How are you using a 150mm? there is no way that reaches across and threads in?
@calvintys I believe its a 1.5 I dont know what that diagram is. This is the kind of thing that drives me crazy about dealing with China, nothing is ever correct, the initial diagram I got had a shock bushing at 44x8 instead of 22.2x8. that was fun and cost me a couple days on my build. maybe thats the new size for the UDH rear triangle?

Last edited:

calvintys

Sep 12, 2023
Malaysia
@calvintys I believe its a 1.5 I dont know what that diagram is. This is the kind of thing that drives me crazy about dealing with China, nothing is ever correct, the initial diagram I got had a shock bushing at 44x8 instead of 22.2x8. that was fun and cost me a couple days on my build. maybe thats the new size for the UDH rear triangle?
YES my spec its for UDH hanger. sorry for the confuse

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I have a conventional hanger, not UDH.

I hear yeah, definitely frustrating. My main pivot bolt was too short by 10 mm. I had to have a custom TI replacement (upgrade) made before a big riding trip. Cost $80 but only took a week rather than 4-6+ weeks for a free warranty bolt from SZZS.

The trip was awesome, so I got lucky. DIY has it's inherent risks unfortunately. Especially, on the first iteration. Fortunately, SZZS seems to want to correct it's errors, thus still worth the ride quality for my CEF50 build. 💸🤟

Phatty

Feb 18, 2021
Utah
I have a conventional hanger, not UDH.

I hear yeah, definitely frustrating. My main pivot bolt was too short by 10 mm. I had to have a custom TI replacement (upgrade) made before a big riding trip. Cost $80 but only took a week rather than 4-6+ weeks for a free warranty bolt from SZZS.

The trip was awesome, so I got lucky. DIY has it's inherent risks unfortunately. Especially, on the first iteration. Fortunately, SZZS seems to want to correct it's errors, thus still worth the ride quality for my CEF50 build. 💸🤟
but even the conventional hanger is 179mm so you would need a 180 or 178mm axle length?
I've built 2 dengfu e10 with m600 and a couple bbshd commuters so I am no stranger to DIY, its always just a bit frustrating though that you never really know what you are going to get until it gets there and you measure for yourself.
I'm hoping they ship out new headsets to all their customers, the current one is absolute garbage and we all will be replacing cables and brake lines before too long. The nukeproof one doesnt seem to be available in the USA. I will be upgrading to UDH triangle, 160 carbon cranks once its available. Transmission is a must for ebike, the shifting under load is so nice!

I'm about to pull the trigger on the LCE930 in size small and build one for my kid for Christmas so there is another custom bike on my list :ROFLMAO:... I have a problem!!! Send help!

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
but even the conventional hanger is 179mm so you would need a 180 or 178mm axle length?
I've built 2 dengfu e10 with m600 and a couple bbshd commuters so I am no stranger to DIY, its always just a bit frustrating though that you never really know what you are going to get until it gets there and you measure for yourself.
I'm hoping they ship out new headsets to all their customers, the current one is absolute garbage and we all will be replacing cables and brake lines before too long. The nukeproof one doesnt seem to be available in the USA. I will be upgrading to UDH triangle, 160 carbon cranks once its available. Transmission is a must for ebike, the shifting under load is so nice!

I'm about to pull the trigger on the LCE930 in size small and build one for my kid for Christmas so there is another custom bike on my list :ROFLMAO:... I have a problem!!! Send help!
178 mm is the Hardlite TA upgrade. Same as Mike posted earlier. Seems to work well.👍

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Upgraded headset update: Linda just sent me this today.

She says $30 USD ready to ship apparently. That's all I know. I'm just doing the upper (4 arrows) for $18.
Screenshot_20231017-224904.png

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Aaaargh! Just severed the delicate changing port wires blk/red when I was changing out my shredded dropper cable yesterday. 🫣
PXL_20231018_165235797~2.jpg

I ordered a replacement that will be shipped with my other warranty parts...so yeah! I saved $15-20 on shipping.💸

So, I guess that $20 savings will now finance my cheapo soldering kit from Amazon. 🤔🙃

New DIY acquired skill...yeah soldering!😝

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
At least SOME good news for me! 👊
PXL_20231018_180734954.jpg

New upgraded Hope dropper remote and new cable/housing successfully installed. Matching bling for me!👑
PXL_20231018_180725667.MP.jpg

Now we'll see if I can successfully solder those tiny charging port wires competently in order to actually ride this weekend!😋🤟

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Don't confuse the over lock nut convention i.e. 148x12 boost vs the actual measurement including threads of 179mm.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Just a reminder for newcomers that I created a specifications thread with all the specs I could find in one place.

And a Gallery of builds from this thread

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
20231019_152534.jpg

So my build's starting to take shape (I'm thankful the M820 uses the traditional 8 splined isis crank design).
20231019_152554.jpg

And i'm equally happy that Bafang have embraced the disk magnet sensor, compared to the spoke magnet sensor.
20231019_152608.jpg

And cable routing was fairly simple (although, make sure you route the disk magnet sensor cable first, before routing the rear brake hose).

But my question is about the fork style which should be ran (1.5 tapered or 1.8 supertapered).
20231019_152642.jpg

Initially, I was going to slap in some 160mm travel Fox 36s with the traditional 1.5 tapered steerer. But now I'm thinking maybe, I should simply go with a Zeb with the 1.8 supertapered steerer.

Has anyone built up a cef50 using a supertapered fork like a zeb or domain. Or have we simply used a 1.8 crown race adapter?

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
The bottom race on the CEF50 is 150 not 180.
*I should have said the bottom bearing seat on the headtube.
Oh!!
Mine came supplied with a zs56/66 headset to support a 1.8 supertapered steerer fork.
The upper headset cups is a zs56. The lower is a zs66 with a 1.8 crown race.
Interesting🤔

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Just a reminder for newcomers that I created a specifications thread with all the specs I could find in one place.

And a Gallery of builds from this thread
That's right. I forgot about the gallery. Looking good overall!🤛

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles