SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

spokémon

Apr 4, 2023
Australia
29” with 52,5mm stroke. View attachment 120814

how wide is the tire?

Is that real full compression? Usually because of the rubber bottom out bumpery that is the socks, it is quite hard to compress the shock by hand fully.

it looks like about 15-20mm clearance remaining seattube and saddle. even if not fully compressed the bumper, it should be ok. i think leverage ratio is 3 from memory.

Myalteregohamish

Jan 4, 2023
Vancouver, WA
I thought the HA was 64.5? Do you know the difference in BB hight betweent 29 and mullet? I could be wrong but Im thinking and extra 10mm travel and a 2mm offset bushing would get close to the original geo numbers for a mullet.
I measured the HA directly on the stantion after zeroing it on the garage floor. I thought it was going to be 64.5 but it’s not worked out that way. I’d like to her from others as well what theirs is and if I’m measuring it wrong. I’ve done it this way on all my specialized bikes and it’s matched what specialized has said the HA is, so I’m just reporting what the gauge said. 🤷‍♂️

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Ladies and gentlemen,

I am proud to announce my V1.0 pre-shakedown build of the long awaited CEF50 in XL. Please find for your viewing pleasure the raw shots of what is now my indoor bike build center. A little about the build and the intention. The proposed challenge; is it possible to build quality, agro trail/enduro 50+nm eMTB carbon build for ~3K USD. To answer, yes I think it is. The bike you see below is 47.5LBS for wet weight assegai's front and rear, with kush core, Deore drive train and brakes including ICE tech rotors. The HA is 63.5 with 29er, and mullet is 63.0.

Additionally I am experimenting with how the 180 rotors perform with decent TRP pads, up against my thicker and larger 200+ rotors over time on typical trails I ride. My theory is that in 95% of the cases the heat issues from smaller rotors won't be as noticeable if paired with a good bedding in the beginning.

I do still have questions about how to modify the profiles on the Befang 820 so any guidance there is more than welcomed. Otherwise I am very happy with this build so far. To be added, frame protection, grease all picot touch points and loctite. I want to get through an initial shack down first.

View attachment 120785 View attachment 120786 View attachment 120787 View attachment 120788 View attachment 120789 View attachment 120790 View attachment 120791 View attachment 120792 View attachment 120793 View attachment 120794 View attachment 120795 View attachment 120796
Awesome, sleek. That's a very "cool" white ice/glacier build. 🤙

Now a proper enduro test ride at both North Shore and Whistler bike park? 😁
Screenshot_20230722-084325.png

Myalteregohamish

Jan 4, 2023
Vancouver, WA
Awesome, sleek. That's a very "cool" white ice/glacier build. 🤙

Now a proper enduro test ride at both North Shore and Whistler bike park? 😁
View attachment 120840
I’ve been meaning to tell you for months, but wasn’t sure how to break it to you, Vancouver, WA, about 5 hrs south. Still it looks very similar, it was 89 at the house today, I drove 40 mins to Mt on the Oregon side of the Columbia, I literally had the entire forest to myself.
some initial observations, I find sport Plus to be the most useful. It’s the profile that feels the most like my canyon, torque:eek:n. I was able to get a solid 2 1/2 hours of riding at that level out of the Bike before it started to throttleback below 30%. That seems to be where it cuts the power in half. The one thing I wish the motor would do, and I’m assuming this is configurable somehow, although I have yet to find a way to modify the software. I would like the The assistance to come on a little quicker. It seems to come on noticeably after about two pedal strokes.

also, I had it up on a downhill trail at about 27 mph. Felt super stable. I have no complaints there. Also the grip going through flat high-speed turns is really impressive on this bike. I felt I could lean it over and push into the side logs easily, and if I wanted to move the backend around with my hips, it responded to input really well. As I learned more about the Bike, I’ll update further.

The bike itself works really well with the suspension. I have on there. Which is a fox float Ex performance and a fox 36 factory. You can almost take a rough estimate of what your settings are or if you are pretty accurate with your rider weight and get pretty close.

1690093305928.jpeg

1690093343989.jpeg

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I’ve been meaning to tell you for months, but wasn’t sure how to break it to you, Vancouver, WA, about 5 hrs south. Still it looks very similar, it was 89 at the house today, I drove 40 mins to Mt on the Oregon side of the Columbia, I literally had the entire forest to myself.
some initial observations, I find sport Plus to be the most useful. It’s the profile that feels the most like my canyon, torque:eek:n. I was able to get a solid 2 1/2 hours of riding at that level out of the Bike before it started to throttleback below 30%. That seems to be where it cuts the power in half. The one thing I wish the motor would do, and I’m assuming this is configurable somehow, although I have yet to find a way to modify the software. I would like the The assistance to come on a little quicker. It seems to come on noticeably after about two pedal strokes.

also, I had it up on a downhill trail at about 27 mph. Felt super stable. I have no complaints there. Also the grip going through flat high-speed turns is really impressive on this bike. I felt I could lean it over and push into the side logs easily, and if I wanted to move the backend around with my hips, it responded to input really well. As I learned more about the Bike, I’ll update further.

The bike itself works really well with the suspension. I have on there. Which is a fox float Ex performance and a fox 36 factory. You can almost take a rough estimate of what your settings are or if you are pretty accurate with your rider weight and get pretty close.

View attachment 120857
View attachment 120858
Sweet. That is a good range run of 22 mi in mountainous terrain at S+ mode. 🤙

I use S mode mostly, which feels like T (trail) mode on my M600 full-powered w/the 245 display on it. I'm more "flow" than "rip" style when riding these days.

Yeah, 89°F is not good for your area. And yep, I'm disappointed that you're basically in Portland rather than BC and far from North Shore .😁

I've been mtbing in Corvallis near the coast and then southeast of you in Bend a decade or so ago, but I hear that Bend is officially anti-Emtb (class 1 access) 😝

So, hopefully the Portland area is more Emtb friendly 🤛

Polak_B

Jun 21, 2023
POLSKA
Ladies and gentlemen,

I am proud to announce my V1.0 pre-shakedown build of the long awaited CEF50 in XL. Please find for your viewing pleasure the raw shots of what is now my indoor bike build center. A little about the build and the intention. The proposed challenge; is it possible to build quality, agro trail/enduro 50+nm eMTB carbon build for ~3K USD. To answer, yes I think it is. The bike you see below is 47.5LBS for wet weight assegai's front and rear, with kush core, Deore drive train and brakes including ICE tech rotors. The HA is 63.5 with 29er, and mullet is 63.0.

Additionally I am experimenting with how the 180 rotors perform with decent TRP pads, up against my thicker and larger 200+ rotors over time on typical trails I ride. My theory is that in 95% of the cases the heat issues from smaller rotors won't be as noticeable if paired with a good bedding in the beginning.

I do still have questions about how to modify the profiles on the Befang 820 so any guidance there is more than welcomed. Otherwise I am very happy with this build so far. To be added, frame protection, grease all picot touch points and loctite. I want to get through an initial shack down first.

View attachment 120785 View attachment 120786 View attachment 120787 View attachment 120788 View attachment 120789 View attachment 120790 View attachment 120791 View attachment 120792 View attachment 120793 View attachment 120794 View attachment 120795 View attachment 120796
looks great ;) tell me what headset did you use?

Stephen B

Feb 24, 2021
El Dorado Hills, California USA
I received my bike, I have a coupe of initial questions:
The charger cable has a 2 pin European style plug on it, do I just cut it of and put on a US style?
It does not include a magnet for the rear wheel, is that something I can get from a local bike shop?

Thanks.

Herculesridesebikes

Jun 19, 2023
Australia
210 x 55, I may not be measuring accurately but the travel to frame bind looks a little short.
An extra 5mm of stroke will push linkage closer to it's limit, if you want more clearance you could get a 52.5 stroke shock or put a spacer to reduce the stroke of the 210x55. You could also use a offset bushing in reverse to increase the eye to eye of your shock but there is a chance it could spin around over time which would lead to bigger problems so probably not recommended unless it's in there very tight.

Last edited:

Myalteregohamish

Jan 4, 2023
Vancouver, WA
I received my bike, I have a coupe of initial questions:
The charger cable has a 2 pin European style plug on it, do I just cut it of and put on a US style?
It does not include a magnet for the rear wheel, is that something I can get from a local bike shop?

Thanks.
For the power adapter I had a an extra US cable that I just plugged in in its place, no cutting required. The magnet you can get one from specialized or anyone that lines up with speed sensor. I just bought some little round magnets from the hardware store and some gorilla glue. Stuck it on the rotor in the spot that aligns with the sensor.

stuff

Nov 3, 2022
Spain
I still dont get how a 55mm stroke wont break the linkage.
52.5 was the max that it can go when I measured

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles