SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
hi there, im looking into building up a m820 bike but wanting to know from those with completed bikes how the performance and power delivery compares to that of other factory light weight ebikes like the trek fuel exe or the specialized levo sl?

and how would you compare the performance to that of a full power bosch, brose or yamaha system? cheers
Short answer: waaay better power/torque! ⚡🤙
I'm sure others will chime in with more details.

haydz26

Jul 12, 2023
new zealand
Short answer: waaay better power/torque! ⚡🤙
I'm sure others will chime in with more details.
cheers for that... im currently riding a converted marin hawk hill with a tsdz2 do you have any experience with these motors and could compare them to the m820?

have you done many steep climbs on the 820? does it have the grunt to power up rough steep climbs?

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
cheers for that... im currently riding a converted marin hawk hill with a tsdz2 do you have any experience with these motors and could compare them to the m820?

have you done many steep climbs on the 820? does it have the grunt to power up rough steep climbs?
You'll have to go back a month on this thread for a more comprehensive response.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ

Just real short tech climbs: My Bafang M600 (100+NM) clears easily and M820 needs more finesse and pedal input. If they cleared it, the TQ50 would struggle the most, the Fauza60 a little less, and RS60 even less (ridden them all briefly).

The M820-75 Nm seems closer to a 85Nm full-powered than a true mid-powered motor (50-60Nm). Maybe it's a 3/4-powered new sub-class?🤙

I think somebody will put up a separate CEF50 build-specific thread soon to help cover performance characteristics so peeps will not have to wade through this super-long thread in the near future
🤞

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia

U can see my video, I ride with Specialized Levo, Polygon Mt. Bromo and Patrol E-Five. M820 power can compete with them on steep climbing. U won't get another brand with 720Wh battery in 20kg or less weight.

kaylee.s

Jul 6, 2023
Redondo Beach, CA

U can see my video, I ride with Specialized Levo, Polygon Mt. Bromo and Patrol E-Five. M820 power can compete with them on steep climbing. U won't get another brand with 720Wh battery in 20kg or less weight.
Great video! Is the motor really that loud when climbing? Or is the sound exaggerated in the vid?

spokémon

Apr 4, 2023
Australia
Great video! Is the motor really that loud when climbing? Or is the sound exaggerated in the vid?
I had to view the video 3 times to listen to the sound. It seems very similar to my ep8rs, except without the rattling :LOL:
I never understood the banging on about noisy motors. I'm too busy trying to stay upright.
When I'm climbing I never think "Gee this motor's noisy" I usually think "Thank *** I've got a motor"
I guess it's a personal thing. What emtb do you ride?

kaylee.s

Jul 6, 2023
Redondo Beach, CA
I had to view the video 3 times to listen to the sound. It seems very similar to my ep8rs, except without the rattling :LOL:
I never understood the banging on about noisy motors. I'm too busy trying to stay upright.
When I'm climbing I never think "Gee this motor's noisy" I usually think "Thank *** I've got a motor"
Haha fair enough! Totally new to emtb's! I rode a rental Norco Sight VLT a few weeks ago. I'm hooked! I'm thinking of buying a used turbo levo while I wait on my LCE930 to arrive!

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia
yes, the sound just like EP8 on high cadence.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Better luck finally...warranty front triangle frame came in.🤙 This was to replace the cracked lower tube (damaged in shipping?) during the build 6 weeks ago.
PXL_20230716_160544268.jpg

The SZZS engineering team added another 3-K weave carbon layer all along the downtube and seat post (looks like glued black tarpaper a little) but feels to be integrated in well, and hoping it strengthens the area a bit more. Especially as a heavier rider.💪
PXL_20230716_160302925.jpg
PXL_20230716_160245346.jpg

But even the cracked frame seemed to do well on chunkier, rocky terrain. It's taken pebble-strikes and debris well with only small dings and scratches. I didn't put any downtube armor on it while waiting for the replacement to see how tough it is...seems tough.🛡️
PXL_20230521_191417240.jpg

Bonus, the replacement main pivot actually looks like the correct length (use a future spare).😎
PXL_20230716_160158693.jpg

The shipping box was cut up significantly and the frame had only a few superficial scratches as a result from the non "fragile" delivery process.😝 It should be easy to sand and paint as planned...so better luck!🤞
PXL_20230716_160119317.jpg

I'll post my final painted version of the CEF50 Enduro ride build on a separate thread in a few weeks. That is, if some other CEF50 owner doesn't get to it first.😁🤛

Last edited:

Freda

Feb 5, 2023
Vaasa
….and the VERY low BB height…
Hi, I am considering one of these frames. I like the looks of the 930 and geometry, why would you consider a 30mm drop low? That is same or less then most 29:ers on the market. Pole is the only one I can think of with less.. and an e-bike with short cranks can have a low bb without issues.
Not criticising here, I am genuinely interested!

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia
Hi, I am considering one of these frames. I like the looks of the 930 and geometry, why would you consider a 30mm drop low? That is same or less then most 29:ers on the market. Pole is the only one I can think of with less.. and an e-bike with short cranks can have a low bb without issues.
Mine size S with Mullet, BB Height 33mm with 165 cranks. Rarely got pedal strike.

spokémon

Apr 4, 2023
Australia

Generally going with shorter cranks will solve most pedal strikes. But I feel e-mtbs suffer more issues from low BB compared to mtbs because of the way BB height is measured. You need to also consider frame clearance to ground.
330mm BB on a mtb has a lot more ground clearance than 330mm BB on an e-mtb. Because the motor and cover hangs much lower. You can see the broken motor covers in this thread.

The LCE930 looks great (better imho). These are just other factors to consider, that's all.

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
The 930 geo states BB height is at 335 only. This means at 160/150 mm travel, the BB height fully compressed is at appr. 180mm only, so ground clearance with 165 mm crank is 15mm only. The CEF50 BB height is 360.
By checking the geo of the 930 again, I found a mistake in the geo logic: BB drop is given at 30mm, the BB hight at 335mm. The diameter of a 29 x 2.6 wheel is appr. 760mm. This means, the radius is 380mm. BB drop of 30mm would result in a BB hight of 380-30= 350mm, not 335mm. Either they assumed a very small tire, or they just didn’t do the math correctly.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles