SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

TommyR

Subscriber
Sep 19, 2024
Denton, TX, USA
Hey folks, while I wait for my frame to ship, I want to do all I can to be fully prepared to build when this sucker finally shows up. First off, I've seen the issues some have had with their linkage fasteners. Over the last week I've read through this entire thread, but I don't recall anyone stating the actual sizes so that I can source them. I'm looking at Ti, but will consider a more robust Al or even steel options. I certainly want to replace the fasteners circled in red below, but I am also interested in upgrading the ones in yellow. Does anyone know the full specs of these fasteners so I can get some on order? Thanks!

linkage fasteners.jpg

TommyR

Subscriber
Sep 19, 2024
Denton, TX, USA
It's happen yesterday on a small drop. I finally break my bike but this time it's only my headset cup. Lucky I have a spare Hope headset. My headset cup but my carbon frame has no damage. Can I say SZZS does make some quality carbon.
What's the lower cup look like? If it punched the upper like that, I can only assume it hurt the lower. I can't imagine how the upper would move if the lower didn't?

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
It's happen yesterday on a small drop. I finally break my bike but this time it's only my headset cup. Lucky I have a spare Hope headset. My headset cup but my carbon frame has no damage. Can I say SZZS does make some quality carbon.

View attachment 148188 View attachment 148189 View attachment 148190 View attachment 148191 View attachment 148192

Hey folks, while I wait for my frame to ship, I want to do all I can to be fully prepared to build when this sucker finally shows up. First off, I've seen the issues some have had with their linkage fasteners. Over the last week I've read through this entire thread, but I don't recall anyone stating the actual sizes so that I can source them. I'm looking at Ti, but will consider a more robust Al or even steel options. I certainly want to replace the fasteners circled in red below, but I am also interested in upgrading the ones in yellow. Does anyone know the full specs of these fasteners so I can get some on order? Thanks!

View attachment 148245
Since you're in the US, I used Huk-Tek: engineered bike hardware out of Michigan.
The owner is Derrick.

Screenshot_20241013-195525.png

Contact in Facebook or email:
Screenshot_20241013-200511.png

He modified the mating bolts with thicker heads and larger threads to match the custom pins (thru-bolt) so my specs are specific to the custom hardware. I went with Ti, super expensive due the pin cost which was most of metal used.
Screenshot_20241013-195317.png

I recommend keeping the OEM AL pins and just having Derrick match them to Aluminum or steel mating bolts (don't know if he'll do steel, Plus, Al might be a better choice with existing Al pins).

I recommend a good digital caliper to measure accurately. Just work with Derrick directly for sizing specs needed. Good Luck!

Last edited:

calvintys

Sep 12, 2023
Malaysia
What's the lower cup look like? If it punched the upper like that, I can only assume it hurt the lower. I can't imagine how the upper would move if the lower didn't?
Honestly I didn't check the lower cup as it's glue to the frame and lazy to punch out and check. Plus I already has experience how it feel like before it break. My headset screw keep losing on my last few ride so I keep tighten it. Before it break u will feel the headset knocking or the headset cup cover move.

PaulH

Apr 23, 2024
Dallas, Texas USA

View attachment 148245
Tommy, I'm just down the road from you in Dallas and finished my CEF50 a couple of months ago so feel free to DM if you want to chat or need help putting it together. I had to buy a lot of single purpose tools so maybe I can help you there also. The only bolts I'm aware of that can be replaced via AliExpress are the two bolts for the rear shock. The others are apparently custom but well made from the factory. I did get those bolts for the shock not because I needed them but because they added a bit of color and they were like $6 each on Ali.

ssl

Aug 27, 2024
Switzerland
Tommy, I'm just down the road from you in Dallas and finished my CEF50 a couple of months ago so feel free to DM if you want to chat or need help putting it together. I had to buy a lot of single purpose tools so maybe I can help you there also. The only bolts I'm aware of that can be replaced via AliExpress are the two bolts for the rear shock. The others are apparently custom but well made from the factory. I did get those bolts for the shock not because I needed them but because they added a bit of color and they were like $6 each on Ali.
You have a link to them on Ali?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles