SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Yep I see it...agreed. It just rare to see the derailleur cable port laterally....it's hanging out there a little to get snagged easier than on a dorsal cable line feed. But I'm sure it will be fine.

Plus, the cable is more aligned with the derailleur bolt clamp.

PXL_20230302_165427374~2.jpg PXL_20230302_165422149.jpg

forsa355

Jan 31, 2023
Canada
Did anyone ever get an answer about that top tube power button (i.e what they will ship and how it will work)? Also shock mount hardware sizing?

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Also shock mount hardware sizing?
Linda just gave me the mounting bolt dimensions (M8) only not the mounting width between tabs. But I had to show her an illustration to get the actual mounting hardware sizes below this morning...still waiting.

Screenshot_20230302-102759.png Screenshot_20230302-102820.png

Last edited:

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Did anyone ever get an answer about that top tube power button (i.e what they will ship and how it will work)?
Linda said it was both a power selector display and a power button. Apparently it can be used in conjunction with the handlebar mounted remote selector/power button. So, I believe, since most NEED the remote more than the frame display...it's redundant or Linda was incorrect and it's just a power button. Hopefully, it's just a power button integrated into the frame for convenience.

See earlier discussions in this thread for details.

Now that they are built and ready to ship, can someone else please have Linda clarify how the power remote/frame mount setup actually works? It's good to hear multiple requests for the same issue...it's adds immediacy to the question.

Last edited:

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Since the new Bafang controls are CANBUS I think they will all be compatible. Unlike a serial controller which must be connected directly to a device, like a display or remote control, to a unique port just for it the canbus is a network. Just like the internet each device has a unique address. Each device only responds to requests addressed to it. So you should be able to have multiple remotes and displays and each would have it's own address and if a request for an assist change is sent to the motor it knows which device sent the request. If a device requests speed info from the motor it would be responded to without confusion as to which device requested the info. Now there is a million ways that you can make things so they can't work together but the purpose of canbus is so that it can. The canbus cabling is noise resistant also so less errors. TMI?

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Since the new Bafang controls are CANBUS I think they will all be compatible. Unlike a serial controller which must be connected directly to a device, like a display or remote control, to a unique port just for it the canbus is a network. Just like the internet each device has a unique address. Each device only responds to requests addressed to it. So you should be able to have multiple remotes and displays and each would have it's own address and if a request for an assist change is sent to the motor it knows which device sent the request. If a device requests speed info from the motor it would be responded to without confusion as to which device requested the info. Now there is a million ways that you can make things so they can't work together but the purpose of canbus is so that it can. The canbus cabling is noise resistant also so less errors. TMI?
Sure. I get they're likely compatible because of CANBus firmware...but there might be some "crosstalk" which is confusing.👍

Potential dilemma: the integrated display has confirmed 3-power mode selectors different colored hues, the remote has 5-power mode selectors M820 power modes: walk, eco, trail, boost, rocky mode, 3 to 5 is not 1:1 compatibly...right? 😁

Plus, remote has 5 bar battery, the frame integrated must have some way to indicate battery usage.

Last edited:

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Sure. I get they're likely compatible because of CANBus firmware...but there might be some "crosstalk" which is confusing.👍

Potential dilemma: the integrated display has confirmed 3-power mode selectors different colored hues, the remote has 5-power mode selectors, 5 bars to match the M820 power modes: walk, eco, trail, boost, rocky mode, 3 to 5 is not 1:1 compatibly...right?😁
Does the remote with 5 power modes tuned to the M820 override the integrated power display's 3 power modes.? I hope so.🤞😁🍻

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Does the remote with 5 power modes tuned to the M820 override the integrated power display's 3 power modes.? I hope so.🤞😁🍻
If not just disable and remove the frame power display and patch the hole or mount a smart phone mount to hide the hole. This was discussed early in thread.

But Team CEF50, others would benefit with clarification. Ask Linda to do a short video demo of how both of the power selectors work...and then please post it here?

I'm still waiting on shock mount hardware and frame weight answers...it would be nice for others to know before they ship! Go team CEF50!😆

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
If not just disable and remove the frame power display and patch the hole or mount a smart phone mount to hide the hole. This was discussed early in thread.

But Team CEF50, others would benefit with clarification. Ask Linda to do a short video demo of how both of the power selectors work...and then please post it here?

I'm still waiting on shock mount hardware and frame weight answers...it would be nice for others to know before they ship! Go team CEF50!😆

There is only the handlebar remote in the video. See how that is absolutely confusing?🤯

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
In my experience with other Bafang motors bbshd, the display can be configured for 5 or 9 levels of assistance. So the determination of the "status" is determined by the display. So it gets a value from the controller and interprets the value. So you should be able to use the top tube assist and the remote for controlling assist together. Each should change to show the current status even if modified by the other device. Since the remotes will query the motor to get the assist level they should both change indication when either changes the assist level.
It would be nice to get the shock hardware spec so we can order the parts. The worst part of DIY bike builds is waiting for some little part that needs to come from china. It is really wise to get your ducks in a row and get everything on it's way in advance if you can.
I also ordered a 210x55 which may not work with 29er wheels.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
In my experience with other Bafang motors bbshd, the display can be configured for 5 or 9 levels of assistance. So the determination of the "status" is determined by the display. So it gets a value from the controller and interprets the value. So you should be able to use the top tube assist and the remote for controlling assist together. Each should change to show the current status even if modified by the other device. Since the remotes will query the motor to get the assist level they should both change indication when either changes the assist level.
It would be nice to get the shock hardware spec so we can order the parts. The worst part of DIY bike builds is waiting for some little part that needs to come from china. It is really wise to get your ducks in a row and get everything on it's way in advance if you can.
I also ordered a 210x55 which may not work with 29er wheels.
Ok great! It would in theory make sense that no "crosstalk" will occur. But in practice they are two, separate, competing power display systems. It's not necessary to have the extra weight (209-300 g for cable and display?) and redundancy of the integrated power system. Plus, put an extra hole in the fame when not needed? This doesn't pique your curiosity a little? Especially where weight is the essential element of a "light weight" E-mtb build?

Can we minimally agree that it's at best the integrated display is an added, unnecessary power button. And at worst it's an extra weight-added appendage that might crosstalk? Either way, the standard M820 kit uses the HID 181 power remote. Additionally, the downtube integrated display is not on the LCE930 frame.🤔

Last edited:

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Ok great! It would in theory makes sense that no "crosstalk" will occur. But in practice they are two, separate, competing power display systems. It's not necessary to have the extra weight (209-300 g for cable and display?) and redundancy of the integrated power system. Plus, put an extra hole in the fame when not needed? This doesn't pique your curiosity little? Especially where weight is the essential element of a "light weight" E-mtb build?

Can we minimally agree that it's at best the integrated display is an added, unnecessary power button. And at worst it's an extra weight-added appendage that might crosstalk? Either way, the standard M820 kit uses the HID 181 power remote. It's not on the LCE930 system.🤔
There is no possibility of crosstalk but there certainly is no need for two displays. The top tube is the simplest integrated display, which is also probably the cheapest, but who wants to take their hands off the bars to change assist?
I ordered the DPC-245 bluetooth because it is most like my minialist shimano steps display on the Orbea. I don't like the chunky look of the DPE-18.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
There is no possibility of crosstalk but there certainly is no need for two displays. The top tube is the simplest integrated display, which is also probably the cheapest, but who wants to take their hands off the bars to change assist?
I ordered the DPC-245 bluetooth because it is most like my minialist shimano steps display on the Orbea. I don't like the chunky look of the DPE-18.
Ok we agree. It's redundant and adds extra weight unnecessarily. 👍

I agree on the DPC-245, I've tried to order it through greenbikekit, they are available to purchase now?

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Ok we agree. It's redundant and adds extra weight unnecessarily. 👍

I agree on the DPC-245, I've tried to order it through greenbikekit, they are available to purchase now?
They are listed on Aliexpress but I have asked Linda to supply them, waiting for a response.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I am getting the FT100 battery so she will need to talk to Bafang about that and hopefully the DPC-245 at the same time :)
Just revisiting the earliest thread topic related to this discussion...If this whole integrated display unit weighs more than 200 g, I think I might just patch over the frame hole as stated previously in order to reduce the overall bike build...sorry but it's just mind-blowing that two fully independent systems exist in a marketed light-weight e-mtb build...which is the whole damn point😜 Now add to the matter that the absence of a thumb remote on an E-mtb wasn't a priori, that it was better to start poking holes in the frame is just engineering madness by the CEF50 makers.🤯

Honestly, just speaks to the disconnect that at least Jim at LC seems to have remedied in the competing 820 frame. If not for LC's extra frame weight, undetermined sizing costs and delayed production schedule, and the bigger 720Wh, I'd go back to the LCE930.

So ultimately, I'm sticking with the CEF50, and ready to frame patch as needed.😑

Screenshot_20230302-123553.png

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Here is a shot with only the top tube display/assist control.
View attachment 108190
Wait. Is the purple arrow that I drew point toward a wired thumb power selector?

If so, I prefer the DPC452 color display too, but could live with this minimalistic setup.

Unfortunately, Linda originally said "no" on the thumb switch with frame integrated system alone. She probably didn't know. Aggravating for sure!😵‍💫

Screenshot_20230302-131324.png

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
I think it just the brake lever clamp (both sides)
Yes I can see the inexperienced customer thinking the top tube assist is clean and cheap but anyone who has ridden would discard it as an option immediately. Unless you are a commuter I suppose.
But an Enduro bike? Ya I am going to take my hand off the bars to change my assist in the middle of gnarly down.
Definitely a bad choice by the design team.
So maybe a goo holder?

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I think it just the brake lever clamp (both sides)
Yes I can see the inexperienced customer thinking the top tube assist is clean and cheap but anyone who has ridden would discard it as an option immediately. Unless you are a commuter I suppose.
But an Enduro bike? Ya I am going to take my hand off the bars to change my assist in the middle of gnarly down.
Definitely a bad choice by the design team.
So maybe a goo holder?
Yep...brake clamp. Was hoping for the best...

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I was wondering what was the best option with the DP E181
I personally prefer to see a small screen instead of the bulky high profile remote.💪

Plus, the DPC 245 has a fairly minimal remote switch. Vast improvement over the older black and white screen DPC242 that was hard to see in daylight or with shaded eyewear. 😎

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
But the 245 is better because it has bluetooth for connecting smartphone. The 244 does not have bluetooth.
(the picture above is a 244)
I guess it is both, never mind...

245.png

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles