SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
The challenge on the range extender is how to connect to the system. One option is to plug it into the charging port (like Orbea and others) with reduced amps flowing into the main battery. Not a good option imho, because if You drain the main battery qicker then recharging will be possible, Your done. If You have a parallel extender battery, You have to have a contoll unit balancing the SoC of the 2 batteries to avoid high amps flowing from one battery to the other and cause damage. Or You have to ensure that both batteries have same SoC when You plug them in (fully charged)

Last edited:

JimLee-Lightcarbon

Lightcarbon
Apr 15, 2022
Amoy
The challenge on the range extender is how to connect to the system. On option is to plug it into the charging port (like Orbea and others) with reduced amps flowing into the main battery. Not a good option imho, because if You drain the main battery qicker then recharging will be possible, Your done. If You have a parallel extender battery, You have to have a contoll unit balancing the SoC of the 2 batteries to avoid high amps flowing from one battery to the other and cause damage. Or You have to ensure that both batteries have sam SoC when You plug them in (fully charged)
you are right, The biggest problem now is that the main battery is Bafang BT F014, 43V, so the motor also uses M820 43v, and the range-extending battery is 36V, the battery manufacturer is still thinking about it,

JimLee-Lightcarbon

Lightcarbon
Apr 15, 2022
Amoy
Hi Jim, This is for the LC M820 then? Looks like the wrong thread.
This is the size of the box of range-extending battery, the battery manufacturer give me that. It can only be installed with a 10*2 cell arrangement, 36V*10AH. What we want to try is a 12*2 arrangement, that is, 43V*10AH. and some problem is till no solved

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
This is the size of the box of range-extending battery, the battery manufacturer give me that. It can only be installed with a 10*2 cell arrangement, 36V*10AH. What we want to try is a 12*2 arrangement, that is, 43V*10AH. and some problem is till no solved
Sorry Jim I think this is meant for the LCE930 thread.

We are trying to get the CEF50 manufacturer to make and test a range extender for those who have need for their frame. It is confusing.

Please add info only pertanent to this frame CEF50.

Thank you.

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
The 27.5 makes the difference, You can easily run the 180 fork with the 27.5 wheel and stay closed to 560 mm fork length. The 160 travel @ 560 mm in frame spec are referring to a 29 wheel.
With my E10 that has basically the same recommended suspension specs I installed a 180 mm fork /29 wheel and a 216 mm shock instead of 210 and 27.5 rear wheel. Ending up 170 mm rear travel, 63.5 headangle, 358 BB hight - bottomless and plush, rides like a dream. I would do exactly the same with this CEF50 frame…
Careful friend. This frame weighs 2500 gr. Light Carbon 3000 gr. Dengfu 4000gr.

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
You think the frame may be damaged? I think the main reason for weight reduction is the closed downtube without battery cutout. I would take the risk and try it 😊
I will also use this frame, but for easy riding on trails. But I would be afraid to jump.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I will also use this frame, but for easy riding on trails. But I would be afraid to jump.
The CEF50's enduro geo and travel suggest riding style similar to the what the Siryon or the up-and-coming Transition Relay are intended for. I'm betting that the CEF50 weight estimates are low like their big battery weight was. Remember, that was underestimated by 0.5 lbs.

I asked Linda for a scale-weighing photo of a Large frame to compare the two aforementioned frames weights (if possible).

Sure, I'll be doing smaller field stress-tests: jumps and drops in soft dirt like any new frame.😁

Last edited:

Tilt

Dec 12, 2022
France
La géo et le voyage enduro du CEF50 suggèrent une conduite similaire à celle à laquelle le Siryon ou le relais de transition prometteur sont destinés. Je parie que leurs estimations de poids sont faibles comme l'était leur gros poids de batterie. Rappelez-vous, cela a été sous-estimé de 0,5 lb.

J'ai demandé à Linda une photo de pesée d'un grand cadre pour comparer les poids des deux cadres susmentionnés (si possible).

Bien sûr, je ferai de plus petits tests de résistance sur le terrain : des sauts et des chutes dans de la terre molle comme n'importe quel nouveau cadre.😁
Oui beaucoup de chute

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
I think Shenzhen Zhaocheng Carbon Fiber Technology is a little too long for a trade name. I think I am going to label mine "Carboncloud".

Kenk3589

May 5, 2022
Usa
More I see these other competitor Chinese m820 frames, I’m wondering if ours will be a trunnion shock as well. Everyone runs a 185x55 (light carbon, and another alibaba shop). Buttons also look very similar to the cef50 with 15-160 front fork. Is Linda playing with us?

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
More I see these other competitor Chinese m820 frames, I’m wondering if ours will be a trunnion shock as well. Everyone runs a 185x55 (light carbon, and another alibaba shop). Buttons also look very similar to the cef50 with 15-160 front fork. Is Linda playing with us?
Standard eye not trunnion on CEF50. I have one on each of my two full-powered E-mtbs. BOTH work as intended. The standard has a few more sizes is all and just depends if the manufacturer wants a more compact eye-to-eye rear shock for frame design/performance.

I'm sticking with 'em.💪
Screenshot_20221216-084950.png

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Careful friend. This frame weighs 2500 gr. Light Carbon 3000 gr. Dengfu 4000gr.
Ha! Good news... potentially!💵💎💰💸

2758 g is the Large carbon frame weight for the new Orbea Wild full-powered rig. It too has no cable routing ports and is internally routed cable headset, integrated 760 Wh battery (motor drop access) to save weight. 😲

So, very comparable to the CEF50 in stoutness. BTW this was posted on Rob Rides review today...🍻
Screenshot_20230217-204113.png

I'm still waiting for Linda to give a Large frame weigh-in pic. Hopefully, this will quell concerns over frame integrity/robustness potential.🍻

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
In shopping for rear shocks this frame appears to use 8mmx22mm hardware. Is the hardware the same for all shocks or do some manufacturers have lips or ridges that make them unique to that shock brand. All my frames before have come with the shock hardware so I did not have to worry about it.
Thanks
Same question about the bolts to attach the shock I guess

Last edited:

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
In shopping for rear shocks this frame appears to use 8mmx22mm hardware. Is the hardware the same for all shocks or do some manufacturers have lips or ridges that make them unique to that shock brand. All my frames before have come with the shock hardware so I did not have to worry about it.
Thanks
Same question about the bolts to attach the shock I guess
Linda should publish the upper and lower shock eyelet hardware sizes. So, I'll typically purchase the same hardware as the Shock maker...RS for me.

But I ordered from MRP in recent past build to get a tighter fitment on my Fox DPX2. The manufacturer's eyelet bolt was machined with poor tolerances and created an irritating slack feel.

The rear shock bolts and all linkage hardware will come with frame.

Update: I just asked Linda.
Screenshot_20230218-160525.png

Last edited:

Fresh

Feb 19, 2023
Australia
Hi Guys Newbie to the forum but been a lurker for some time.

First thanks tcflowclyde for getting a great amount of info on this frame. I've been keen to enter the DIY ebike market for some time and once i had seen this frame and the geo numbers I began to think it's the one for me.

not sure if this has been noticed or brought it up. But from staring at this frame the bottom and top shock mount looks very close to the frame. im thinking this frame won't be able to run a coil or even a float x2. Just putting it out there.
Screenshot 2023-02-19 194621.png

I think it might even be a tight squeeze with a Float X.
floatx-performance-elite-standard-3.jpg

2023 rockshox might even be close.
Screenshot 2023-02-19 195430.png

TC i'd like to see if you run the megneg how close it will actually get to the frame.

Ill be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

FYI, Im a coil guy but this is not a deal breaker for me.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
The Small frame may have some issues with the piggyback grazing the downtube, possibly even a medium depending on maker, but you should ask Linda to have engineering run a simulation graph.

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
Hi Guys Newbie to the forum but been a lurker for some time.

First thanks tcflowclyde for getting a great amount of info on this frame. I've been keen to enter the DIY ebike market for some time and once i had seen this frame and the geo numbers I began to think it's the one for me.

not sure if this has been noticed or brought it up. But from staring at this frame the bottom and top shock mount looks very close to the frame. im thinking this frame won't be able to run a coil or even a float x2. Just putting it out there.
View attachment 107155
I think it might even be a tight squeeze with a Float X.
View attachment 107156

2023 rockshox might even be close.
View attachment 107158

TC i'd like to see if you run the megneg how close it will actually get to the frame.

Ill be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

FYI, Im a coil guy but this is not a deal breaker for me.
The picture from side view is irritating. The gap between the swingarms is big, and I think there is way more space / clearnce than You expected from that misleading picture. I bet You can fit Your shock in easily, pointing the piggyback towards the headtube.

Fresh

Feb 19, 2023
Australia
Im not worried about the piggyback. its more the diameter of the air can. Thats why i think a coil might not be able to run. As the dia of a coil would be larger than the aircan on the xfusion shock shown

Screenshot 2023-02-19 213956.png

Just looks close to me

Tc you are correct. but i am not yet talking to linda as im not ready to buy.

Last edited:

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
Im not worried about the piggyback. its more the diameter of the air can. Thats why i think a coil might not be able to run. As the dia of a coil would be larger than the aircan on the xfusion shock shown

View attachment 107161

Just looks close to me

Tc you are correct. but i am not yet talking to linda as im not ready to buy.
Got it. Thought You are talking about the upper area / swingarm clearance. You’re right, the lower mount clearance to seattube may cause a problem with coil.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
On shock fitment. Hoping it was initially an optical illusion, but yeah it's compact on the lower eyelet mount. I was most worried about the piggyback reservoir making downtube contact. Under more scrutiny, it's tight on seat tube clearance for a complete shock downstroke like Fresh keenly observed.

Up top, the rocker arm should accommodate, but as it angles closely down to the seat mast, clearance might be an issue.😬

Especially on the small which is their build in the pics so far according to Linda. It's definitely unusually if our visual reference is accurate.

Screenshot_20221216-084950~2.png

Here's my Fox DPX2 and RS Ultimate NegMeg for comparison on two recent Large builds. Lots of space for a big air can or coil spring to move through to the bottom.

PXL_20230219_152725033~2.jpg
PXL_20230219_152428983~2.jpg

Looks like another question to have Linda forward to their engineering department.

Last edited:

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
I don't do "waiting" real well. I can never relate to the people who order a bike and then wait a whole year for delivery. Never happen with me.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I don't do "waiting" real well. I can never relate to the people who order a bike and then wait a whole year for delivery. Never happen with me.
Yeah it sucks! It was crazy COVID time, but my first LC04 E-mtb took a year...was aggravating for sure. It's another reason I jumped on the CEF50 train early.💪

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Shock fitment: Preliminary good news for the bigger air-cans and likely coil shock enthusiasts! I requested that Linda produce an illustration to see and confirm it visually.
Screenshot_20230220-223511.png
Screenshot_20230220-223349.png

Well, I gotta admit, I luv my RS Ultimate MegNeg...best shock I've ever ridden. The Float X was my backup, or honestly I might have been booking a competitor's frame offering reluctantly.

So, chances are good that if your coil is less than 54 mm width...it looks promising. But let's wait for the engineer's graphic. 🍻

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles