Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 2023 Megathread

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
The bike is firmly in the 'trail' category and as such should be sold with dual 29" wheels unless it's the small sizes.

Why do you believe it's firmly in the trail category? The suspension amount? Plenty of ultra-aggro bikes had same or less (Transition Sentinel). The kinematics is taken from Stumjumper Evo, not regular Stumpjumper, once again for plusher less sportier ride.
The frame looks lot burlier, more than majority of SL competitors, definitely burlier than PivotSL, Orbea Rise, Trek Fuel,..
It's lot more enduro-ish than previous gen, how much more aggro did you expect it to be before it's straight up enduro bike? 150/160mm with 63 degree (in slackest) is very much more enduro than majority of enduro bikes on market sans last 3 years. Add 170 38/ZEB and you're back in enduro category with it.

Honestly, you might be waiting long time for a truly ideal bike that fits all your requirements. Kenevo SL with 1.2 will be burly and strong in power, but still with poor battery (and the extender is so high in frame it rides I crap, I would know as owner).
Trek doesn't look like in any hurry for Slash-TQ and it would doubtfully be lighter than KSL and probably still have 360W battery.
I would keep the ordered Relay probably and just ignore the added weight. I built my KSL to be 20GK, 2kG heavier than my wife's 18KG LSL and it rides just as light, just heavier when I hold it.

Last edited:

gts66

Apr 5, 2023
France
The extended CS position also corrects for the taller 29" rear wheel. So if you use that position combined with a 27.5" wheel, the sta, hta & BB will be very slack & low.

Hopefully someone will machine some new CS adjusters or a longer clevis link that will allow people to combine the long CS length with a 27.5" wheel.

It would be good to know by how much it slackens the bike, because setting rear flip chip to 29 then shock flip chip to High and adjusting hta as well could maybe compensate enough ?

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
The bicycle can go from 27,5/29 & 63deg HA to 29/29 65.5 deg HA. It can be anything from DH shredder to XC machine for middle-aged weekend warrior decrying modern trends. Pretty much tweakable to anyone's liking :- ).
Moderate seat-tube angle is rather suitable for e-bikes for everyone except tall&long-legged people who are minority and brands know that. Swiping seat on its rails every cm compensates for almost 1 degree so you can make it almost 79 degree seat-tube angle just by minor tweak. Yes it looks bit weird at that point but it's not like every single Specialized bicycle had it different. This "non-radicalness" has been their modus operandi for decade. They do their own thing, others do theirs. They want to sell multiples of what other brands do together and they.. do.

It's been almost 8 months since I converted my KSL to Mullet and I can say it improved almost every single feature of the bike. There is absolutely no downside to climbing.
You can not take a bike from 75.8' to 79' sta by sliding a seat forward, ime.

I have a SJEvo that Spesh lists as very close to 77' in most settings. I also run it with a mullet link, but with a 29" rear wheel which steepens the bike a lot.

Furthermore I have an SQLabs seat with long rails that is slid forward a lot. This bike has an actual unsagged sta of 76.7' measured with an angle finder at my preferred seat height.

The new Levo SL will functionally have a sub 75' sta. It's a trail bike with geo designed for lots of seated riding on flattish terrain.

Spesh knows their target audience, but it ain't me.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
my take on this is that the bike was ready about a year ago, but spesh then realised the competition were releasing very quiet 50nm motors, so they delayed the release to address the motor (this is fact as per the loam wolf review). so, back when it was ready, they had not considered a larger battery cause the motor was the same, but they decided they had to change the motor noise and output, but already had thousands of frames built and hence would/could not change the frame to accommodate a larger battery for the higher output motor.

penny to a pound of shit that the revised KSL will have the new motor and a bigger battery.
Absolutely all this. I would say the frame mould was finished lot longer than a year before they decided to play catch-up on the engine tweaks. That was surprising honesty from the designer in the LoamWolf video. Did not expect that :- ).
Honestly though, good for them for awareness and listening to feedback.

The smaller battery is still true to their original vision of lightweight bike, with most competitors creeping up higher.
Almost every other SL bike is in actuallity a 19+ KG bike when you take away the high-end cross-country wheels. LSL is true 18KG bike with solid wheels, tyres, 36mm fork and beefy shock.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
This bike has an actual unsagged sta of 76.7' measured with an angle finder at my preferred seat height.
I agree with you, I quoted the static isolated change at level where they measure the virtual angle. I also boosted the math a bit, it will be closer to 78 than 79.
Obviously it will be rather worse for long-legged riders. I have plenty of SQ-Labs seats, but while they have long rails, those rails start rather offset from back so not ideal.

It's a trail bike with geo designed for lots of seated riding on flattish terrain.

In regards to this..well, that is rather strong opinion I guess..

Last edited:

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Why do you believe it's firmly in the trail category? The suspension amount? Plenty of ultra-aggro bikes had same or less (Transition Sentinel). The kinematics is taken from Stumjumper Evo, not regular Stumpjumper, once again for plusher less sportier ride.
The frame looks lot burlier, more than majority of SL competitors, definitely burlier than PivotSL, Orbea Rise, Trek Fuel,..
It's lot more enduro-ish than previous gen, how much more aggro did you expect it to be before it's straight up enduro bike? 150/160mm with 63 degree (in slackest) is very much more enduro than majority of enduro bikes on market sans last 3 years. Add 170 38/ZEB and you're back in enduro category with it.

Honestly, you might be waiting long time for a truly ideal bike that fits all your requirements. Kenevo SL with 1.2 will be burly and strong in power, but still with poor battery (and the extender is so high in frame it rides I crap, I would know as owner).
Trek doesn't look like in any hurry for Slash-TQ and it would doubtfully be lighter than KSL and probably still have 360W battery.
I would keep the ordered Relay probably and just ignore the added weight. I built my KSL to be 20GK, 2kG heavier than my wife's 18KG LSL and it rides just as light, just heavier when I hold it.
Personally I just wanted an electric SJEvo. Didn't get it however.
The SJEVO already has too linear of rear suspension for aggressive riding, which is why they respond so well to the Cascade link.
Unfortunately the new Levo SL advertises 'more linear' suspension kinematics. This is good for pedaling support and allows novice riders to use all the travel. However it was the wrong direction for aggressive riding.
Anyways, it is what it is. It makes sense that Spesh didn't overlap the Levo & Kenevo, the way they have with the Evo & Enduro.
The bike is awesome and my wife will probably have one once our daughter takes over her Mondraker pedal bike.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
Not even Kenevo SL has very progressive end, Specialized will probably never design such bike. Levo SL was always meant to be a bicycle with broader appeal than Stumpjumper Evo, a niche off-shoot. And given that not even Evo has progressive end, why would it suddenly end up on Levo SL?
I get the disappointment but I guarantee you this will be the best reviewed SL bike for following two years. Specialized definitely doesn't compete for Transition customer but that doesn't mean the Specialized customer is seated flatlands rider :- D
.. That would be Scott Bicycles.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Fyi- as you add more travel you don't need as much progression, because you have more travel to dissipate the energy.

So the kenevo can naturally get by with less relative progression.

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
In one of the promo videos Specialized mentioned that each size frame is built to size, they’re all designed differently. I suspect that they have you covered on the fit. I’m not 100% sure you’d need to stretch the wheelbase. I’d ride it both ways and choose the setting you like best but I wouldn’t assume that the stock setting isn’t going to work.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
In one of the promo videos Specialized mentioned that each size frame is built to size, they’re all designed differently. I suspect that they have you covered on the fit. I’m not 100% sure you’d need to stretch the wheelbase. I’d ride it both ways and choose the setting you like best but I wouldn’t assume that the stock setting isn’t going to work.

That's a reference to frame layup and flex characteristics, assuming a typical weight for a rider on each size.

It's expensive to have different molds for the rear chainstays for each size, plus you have a large contingent of riders that actually shop wheelbase as if it's geo number all on it's own and shorter is always better, instead of just the result of other geo numbers that matter.

I'm certain they will sell like hot cakes. My local Spesh dealer has them ready to go, in multiple sizes and colors.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Well I'm trying to hoover up info on them at the moment, as I'm not sure whether to keep my reservation or not.

My primary concern being whether it has enough power for me. I want a lighter bike, but also when I last went out on a demo Levo alloy, the big power really saved me at the end of the ride when my legs were starting to give up.

Also, I liked how the Levo (in trail mode) really shoved me along and allowed me to power down the trail much faster than usual.

So now I just need to devise a way to figure out if 50nm will still be enough to do all that.

Can anyone advise how the range extender works? If the bike is charged to 80% and you plug the extender in, does it charge the bike, or does the bike deplete to nothing, then starts using the range extender, or does it use the range extender first, and then reverts back tot he bike's battery once the extender is dead? Or does it use power from both batteries at once with them depleting together?

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
Well I'm trying to hoover up info on them at the moment, as I'm not sure whether to keep my reservation or not.

My primary concern being whether it has enough power for me. I want a lighter bike, but also when I last went out on a demo Levo alloy, the big power really saved me at the end of the ride when my legs were starting to give up.

Also, I liked how the Levo (in trail mode) really shoved me along and allowed me to power down the trail much faster than usual.

So now I just need to devise a way to figure out if 50nm will still be enough to do all that.

Can anyone advise how the range extender works? If the bike is charged to 80% and you plug the extender in, does it charge the bike, or does the bike deplete to nothing, then starts using the range extender, or does it use the range extender first, and then reverts back tot he bike's battery once the extender is dead? Or does it use power from both batteries at once with them depleting together?
Uses both together unless you tell it to use the extender first

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
651B3A4C-3C55-434A-8DDB-78986841A366.jpeg

This is mine, Changed my mind on the colour once I saw the Brown, I’ve worked for UPS for 27 years so I maybe indoctrinated 🤣

S4 with AXS GX and lyric ultimate. I have to fit my AXS dropper in the morning when I pick it up.👍🏼

PCRover

Jul 18, 2021
NorCal, USA
Any more comments on Motor noise improvements? I originally loved my original SL but eventually sold it as the motor whine was just too much.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
50 Nm is equivalent 36.9 foot-pounds. If you have 165 mm cranks, that is equivalent to 0.54 feet. So doing the math(s), 50 Nm of torque is the same as a 36.9/0.54 = 68 pound kid standing on the pedal (at the 3:00 position). That is the extra push you'll get from the SL motor.

Edit to say that I see 600+ Watts of assistance on BLEvo on the steepest climb I do.

Last edited:

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
50 Nm is equivalent 36.9 foot-pounds. If you have 165 mm cranks, that is equivalent to 0.54 feet. So doing the math(s), 50 Nm or torque is the same as a 36.9/0.54 = 68 pound kid standing on the pedal (at the 3:00 position). That is the extra push you'll get from the SL motor.

Edit to say that I see 600+ Watts of assistance on BLEvo on the steepest climb I do.
Hah, that's one way of looking at it. Not sure it helps though! Thankfully I have another solution - I'm borrowing a Trek Fuel EXe over the weekend, which also has 50nm.

Hopefully that will give me a good idea of the sort of assistance I'll get.

When they say the battery in the SL is non-removable - presumably it can still be removed, just not very easily?

That's one bit that's annoying, as I'd have liked to bring the battery in during the cold depths of winter and warmest days of summer.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Any more comments on Motor noise improvements? I originally loved my original SL but eventually sold it as the motor whine was just too much.
It would be good to get a comparison from those going straight from a Gen 1 to a Gen 2 SL.
My Gen 1 appears to be one of the quieter motors, there does seem to be a bit of variance and some also get noisier with age.

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
It's 48 volts so I'm assuming 13s2p with 3300-3500ah cells. 18650 Cells significantly bigger than that aren't very durable. Going 13s3p would be a big step up, probably not enough space in the smaller frames to just lengthen the pack.
Going to 2170s would have allowed them to go to 420Wh maybe which might have made sense but would have meant thicker DT etc. Maybe they already had a load of the old batteries to use up?
they are not on 21700?
wow it didnt know that. thanks. ,
that is a showstopper for me.
21700 are way more „stressable“ than the old 18650 - beside other metrics.

Jun 12, 2020
lake Tahoe
I picked up my Levo SL II Comp today, size S3. Riding it back-to-back w/ my 20' Levo SL, I can attest that the s1.2 motor is indeed noticeably more quiet than the S1.1 motor. gone is the mechanical whine at high cadence, I would put the new motor, sound wise on par w/ the Levo Brose 2.2. motor or quieter, which for me is plenty quiet. The Increase in torque and power feels spot on! Diggin the Diappolo Brown Sand color also. It's like a matte UPS brown. maybe a tad darker/ perfect!

23'levo2.jpg

rocco1109

May 4, 2023
Colorado USA
Here is the 160mm (i.e., the old one) range extender cable on my SL2. It's workable. I called Specialized Denver and there are no 145mm cables to sell me at this time. All the 145mm cables went with the S-Works bikes.

If you have an S-Works, I'd love to see what the 145mm cable looks like when it's connected.

IMG_3287.JPG
IMG_3289.PNG

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Hah, that's one way of looking at it. Not sure it helps though! Thankfully I have another solution - I'm borrowing a Trek Fuel EXe over the weekend, which also has 50nm.

Hopefully that will give me a good idea of the sort of assistance I'll get.

When they say the battery in the SL is non-removable - presumably it can still be removed, just not very easily?

That's one bit that's annoying, as I'd have liked to bring the battery in during the cold depths of winter and warmest days of summer.
Make sure you download the trek app and tweak the assistance of the motor. Out of the box the max mode is set to 150% assist,but it can go up to 200%.

Also,if it's a demo bike,other people may have changed the default settings.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Make sure you download the trek app and tweak the assistance of the motor. Out of the box the max mode is set to 150% assist,but it can go up to 200%.

Also,if it's a demo bike,other people may have changed the default settings.
Thanks for the advice. Will do.

thewanted

Apr 2, 2023
UK
Here is the 160mm (i.e., the old one) range extender cable on my SL2. It's workable. I called Specialized Denver and there are no 145mm cables to sell me at this time. All the 145mm cables went with the S-Works bikes.

If you have an S-Works, I'd love to see what the 145mm cable looks like when it's connected.

View attachment 113685 View attachment 113686

Here it is.

Source: New 2023 Specialized S-Works Turbo Levo SL first ride review – The new benchmark in the light eMTB segment?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles