Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Just noticed that the rear brake cable runs down the left hand side so its going to have to do a tight loop round to the brake lever (UK - rear brake on left). Hoping the bike shop does a nice tidy job due to cable OCD lol.
You can run the rear brake line out of the holes on either side of the frame near the headtube. I have my rear brake line coming out of the right hand side of the frame, then looping round to the brake lever on the left of the handle bars.

I have all my cables (rear brake, dropper post and motor remote control) coming out of the hole in the right of the frame

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
You can run the rear brake line out of the holes on either side of the frame near the headtube. I have my rear brake line coming out of the right hand side of the frame, then looping round to the brake lever on the left of the handle bars.

I have all my cables (rear brake, dropper post and motor remote control) coming out of the hole in the right of the frame

Cheers. The bike shop said that they run it down the left side so might have to be something I sort out at a later date if I order from them.

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
Just asked the shop if they could do a deal on the 9.7. Probably pushing my luck, but on the 9.7 I probably wouldn't need to change anything for a while and the fork on the 9.5 looks like a very weak point and probably wouldn't even sell for much towards a new fork!

What would be a reasonable fork to go for down the line if they cant do a deal? I mean I don't do hard trails, jumps etc so could probably look at a middle ground fork? For comparison, the Fox 34 Rhythm on my old Fuel EX has never felt out of depth for my riding.

Last edited:

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
£3495 for the 9.5 and £4195 for the 9.7 which is above budget but specs wise seem so much better.

Will a RockShox 35 Gold RL kill me?!

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
Likely not, but the RS thst came stock on my 9.8 beat my hands and shoulders up. Pulled it and sold it after the first ride. But, I am partial to Fox anyway. Know the product better and how I like it set up. That is a bridge you can cross later.

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England

Random request, but could you take a photo/photos of the set up? Bike shop said they would set them up how I like so thought if I show them it couldn’t possibly go wrong!!

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Random request, but could you take a photo/photos of the set up? Bike shop said they would set them up how I like so thought if I show them it couldn’t possibly go wrong!!
Here you go
1000026094.jpg
1000026095.jpg
1000026096.jpg
1000026094.jpg

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
^^^ thank you. My budget is only allowing for the 9.5. But I can’t see any other lighter e-bikes anywhere near this price. I’m sure for my riding the RS35 will do until funds allow maybe later in the year.

Have an SLX cassette, XT shifter and lighter wheels/tyres at the ready. Along with my favourite carbon bars.

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
9.5 ordered, I know its the entry one but my budget was originally 3k so I am already over but It is a starting point for upgrades!

Think it will come with TRP SLate brakes, I was looking at some of the adaptors to run single clamps but the dropper one is difficult as my oneup dropper remote that i might swicth over does not have an ispec B adaptor. TRP does a ispec to matchmaker adaptor which would ft directly on to the oneup remote but does not look like it will have any angle adjustment so not sure whether to just go 4 clamps, or try the TRP adaptor and see how the remote fits. Guess if it is terrible and I don't damage the adaptor it can go back.

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
9.5 ordered, I know its the entry one but my budget was originally 3k so I am already over but It is a starting point for upgrades!
Congrats on the 9.5!

My husband has a 9.5 and I have a 9.7

I heard many complaints on the internet about the 9.5 fork so I got him a Fox Rhythm 36

He hasn’t swapped it out yet. He’s a much better rider than me, and he thinks the Rockshox 35 is just fine.

I’ve only ridden his bike a little and it seemed quite plush actually… I understand the higher level 9.8 and above Rockshox models are stiffer.

ohiomoto

Nov 14, 2023
Ohio
Congratulations on the 9.5!

You made a good choice because the 9.5 is 95% as good as any other EXe out there and more importantly, you stuck to your budget. Enjoy the ride!

“Comparison is the thief of joy.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
^^^^ thank you!

Trying to order a couple of parts but these brakes and adaptors are messing with my brain!

Maybe I will just go 4 clamps lol.

How much gear adjustment will be needed going from a 11-51 12 speed to a 10-51 12 speed cassette?

woody65

Aug 12, 2024
UK
@woody65 and others who might be interested: I have uploaded a 3D model for a TQ charger holder to Thingiverse. You can get it here:

Have fun
Thanks it works perfectly IMG_4169.jpeg

xcel

Apr 6, 2024
Germany
Anyone here riding OneUp Carbon E-Bar? Would be cool to know whether the TQ remote cable can be routed internally or the connectors are too big.

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
Is there a lot of difference between Deore and SLX cassette apart from weight? Not sure what one to get.
Yes, just weight.

“The Deore is all steel, the SLX swaps the largest cog out to aluminum, and the XT swaps the two largest to aluminum. For absolute longevity, go with the Deore. For a slight weight savings and a cool looking black largest cog, take the SLX.”

That was from this video, which provides good perspective:
I have Deore, SLX and XT. Personally, for an e-MTB, if it’s almost the same price between a Deore and SLX, I’d go for SLX. If not, Deore. Especially for an e-MTB where weight differences like that wouldn’t matter.

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
What tyres are you running on your EXE? Mine arrives Tuesday and reviews on the XR5 seemed a very mixed bag.

Will give them a try first but will look at options. Mainly hardpack with roots and the mud that then comes in the UK!

Would like something not to draggy but nice grip for flowing trails. I am neither an aggressive or super brave rider so doesn’t have to be the super grip of all tyres!!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
What tyres are you running on your EXE? Mine arrives Tuesday and reviews on the XR5 seemed a very mixed bag.

Will give them a try first but will look at options. Mainly hardpack with roots and the mud that then comes in the UK!

Would like something not to draggy but nice grip for flowing trails. I am neither an aggressive or super brave rider so doesn’t have to be the super grip of all tyres!!
I found myself in both camps with the Fuel EXE regarding tires. Tame trails and pavement with my wife …then more extreme riding the next day.

My solution was to get another set of wheels for the Fuel EXE. A spare set for the type of riding I was planning. I can now change out the tires, front and rear, in minutes.

I use the good stuff…carbon rims, tires and hubs… for the mountain trails.

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
I have been running XR4's for years. Working fine on the ebike. Bad thing is they have been replaced by Bonty with a heavier tire. Argh.

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
Yes, just weight.

“The Deore is all steel, the SLX swaps the largest cog out to aluminum, and the XT swaps the two largest to aluminum. For absolute longevity, go with the Deore. For a slight weight savings and a cool looking black largest cog, take the SLX.”

That was from this video, which provides good perspective:
I have Deore, SLX and XT. Personally, for an e-MTB, if it’s almost the same price between a Deore and SLX, I’d go for SLX. If not, Deore. Especially for an e-MTB where weight differences like that wouldn’t matter.
XTR chain is worth the spend. Less wear, less rust.

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada

Bontrager XR4… love them.

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
If you can find them. I am going to pick some up. Probably will be tan wall since that is all that seems to be available. LOL 2 bikes makes it worse...

MikeP

Oct 31, 2022
West Berkshire

The XR5s are okay, but not great. I ran some Michelin wild enduros, which were good. Got a new Hunt wheelset recently (great), with schwable magic mary / noby nic, also good.

FYI on upgrades:
- I picked up a 2021/22 Lyric on eBay for about £350 and sold the gold RL for £190 - so a cheap(ish) upgrade. I'll pick up the flashy HSC/LSC damper next time I'm in an EU country (damn you Brexit). Never rode the Gold fork so can't comment on how good/bad it is.
- The stock saddle is awful (unless your arse is steel).
- The TRP brakes will stop you fine, feel could be better but certainly tolerable.
- Stock rear shock I didn't much like, replaced with an inexpensive RS coil (eBay again) but very much a matter of taste.
- The drivetrain is perfectly ok, if a bit heavy.
- The dropper also fine, even though the lever is a bit crappy.

You'll work out what you do/don't like, but feel good about the price you got - I paid £2k more than you to pick it up in Feb last year!

Enjoy :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles