Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Staff member
Subscriber
Jul 15, 2020
FORUM
The posts relating to the 500wh battery project have been moved to a new thread to make it easier for people to find the information and add to the project if they wish to.

I've moved it to TQ motor section as the project is potentially applicable to other bikes with the same battery/motor combination.

dannyb

Oct 6, 2022
Calabasas, CA
Does anyone know what the headset specs are for the EXe? I have a 9.5 and wanting to upgrade the headset and having a hard time finding this info anywhere.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Does anyone know what the headset specs are for the EXe? I have a 9.5 and wanting to upgrade the headset and having a hard time finding this info anywhere.
The trek spec sheet lists the upper bearing as an fsa mr122,and the lower bearing as an fsa mr127

Last edited:

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
Raleigh, NC
With the FSA bearing specs provided above it looks to be an integrated 41/52. Are you wanting to swap out from the stock ones? I figure I’d replace them after a season. I’m already using a cane creek 40 crown race which works great with the stock headset.

KevinNY

Nov 1, 2022
NYC

Here you go, see attached for a pic I took of both parts with specs.

FSA_MR127_MR122.jpg

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Anybody happen to know how many or what thickness (color) volume spacers come stock in the Fox Float X shock that is on the 9.7 model?

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Anybody happen to know how many or what thickness (color) volume spacers come stock in the Fox Float X shock that is on the 9.7 model?
our Large and Small 9.7s came with an orange 0.8 cu in volume spacer installed in the Fox Float X

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Thank you levity!
By chance, have you changed the stock spacer out to something less? Did it affect the feel of shock much? I am using full travel most the time as stock, not bottom out yet on some big hit senders at speed, so happy with that. Back end feels a bit harsh/too firm to me most the time however, especially on trail descents (mostly hardpacked to dense forest loam, occasional roots, minimal rock)
our Large and Small 9.7s came with an orange 0.8 cu in volume spacer installed in the Fox Float X

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
By chance, have you changed the stock spacer out to something less? Did it affect the feel of shock much? I am using full travel most the time as stock, not bottom out yet on some big hit senders at speed, so happy with that. Back end feels a bit harsh/too firm to me most the time however, especially on trail descents (mostly hardpacked to dense forest loam, occasional roots, minimal rock)
You'll just have to try it and see how it works for you - your riding style and your trail conditions. It's easy to remove. There are intermediate volume spacers to allow fine tuning.

Mrs levity and I removed the spacers from both of our bikes and prefer it. We are both lighter weight (115 and 155 lb out of the shower) and were not getting full travel using 30% sag. Removing the spacer creates more volume so you have to increase the pressure to maintain the same sag. This gives a bit more mid-stroke support which we like but still allows us to get a little more travel. Coming from bikes with Horst links which give a cushioned ride the EXe feels firm, but we like the support the EXe provides. Heavier or more aggressive riders will likely need the volume spacer(s) to prevent bottom out.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Starting to wonder if Trek are actually incompetent or just badly managed, ordered a spare battery for my exe.

It came in and was then told they need to get the brackets so 3 weeks later yesterday, the brackets come in, but neither the battery or the brackets have the screws included for mounting the brackets, and they (sold separately) are on back order with no eta.

This is an official Trek store.
Perceptions is my guess. If the battery were dead and you needed a new one you just want the battery to put your existing brackets and fasteners onto it. They should offer two configurations, one for a spare and one for a replacement.

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Perceptions is my guess. If the battery were dead and you needed a new one you just want the battery to put your existing brackets and fasteners onto it. They should offer two configurations, one for a spare and one for a replacement.
Yep, long wait times with Trek for most things it seems, especially ebike specific parts. My local Trek store still hasn’t replaced my drive unit on my Rail and they received the new unit almost two weeks. Have had my bike for 8 weeks now! Fortunately I have a new Fuel EXe to mess with now

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
You'll just have to try it and see how it works for you - your riding style and your trail conditions. It's easy to remove. There are intermediate volume spacers to allow fine tuning.

Mrs levity and I removed the spacers from both of our bikes and prefer it. We are both lighter weight (115 and 155 lb out of the shower) and were not getting full travel using 30% sag. Removing the spacer creates more volume so you have to increase the pressure to maintain the same sag. This gives a bit more mid-stroke support which we like but still allows us to get a little more travel. Coming from bikes with Horst links which give a cushioned ride the EXe feels firm, but we like the support the EXe provides. Heavier or more aggressive riders will likely need the volume spacer(s) to prevent bottom out.
Thanks for the great info on that, very helpful, much appreciated!

Oct 16, 2022
Georgia
Anybody with any experience with Fox Float X on Fuel Exe that comes stock on 9.7 model? I just got the bike and few rides in and just can’t get the shock to feel right despite using most all the travel with trail riding, all travel with jumps and running between 30-33% sag max. Rear end just feels a bit harsh to me and almost too “sporty” and firm in feel when jamming the descents. Makes bike feel steeper than it is or what I would like it to feel. I replaced the stock Fox Rhythm 150 fork with my Lyrik 160 Ultimate (added air and compression from normal to offset “forward riding rear end” ) from another bike and bike still feels perched forward too much when descending. For reference my other bikes are Rail 170/155 w/coil, Hightower 160/150 and Honzo 120
Same experience. If set up with enough mid and bottom support, really harsh off the top. Replaced. 210lbs and ride fairly aggressively.

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Same experience. If set up with enough mid and bottom support, really harsh off the top. Replaced. 210lbs and ride fairly aggressively.
Sounds similar to me, 205 lbs geared up and like the jam and thump a bit.

What you replace shock with or did you replace bike altogether? Mess with the volume spacers at all before replacement? My Rail w/coil finally ready, so have that again! If firm is what the Fuel EXe simply is in comparison then be just my flow trail bike

45n

Dec 19, 2022
Minnesota
I've seen some talk about the headset gap between the headset cap and top bearing, is this on all the bikes? Has anyone found a fix for it? I have a Chris King from another bike and it looks to have the same issue, almost like the top integrated cup is too shallow. I've never had a bike with this gap.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I've seen some talk about the headset gap between the headset cap and top bearing, is this on all the bikes? Has anyone found a fix for it? I have a Chris King from another bike and it looks to have the same issue, almost like the top integrated cup is too shallow. I've never had a bike with this gap.
It seems to be normal for this bike, mine (9.5) has the same gap,and I looked at various photos in reviews and you can see the same gap.

I bought a hope cap on the offchance it was a little deeper and sealed the gap,but it was no different.

Reactions: 45n

45n

Dec 19, 2022
Minnesota
It seems to be normal for this bike, mine (9.5) has the same gap,and I looked at various photos in reviews and you can see the same gap.

I bought a hope cap on the offchance it was a little deeper and sealed the gap,but it was no different.
I have never seen this on another bike, is the general consensus that this is ok? Seems like a wide open door for dirt and water to get into the bearings and it concerns me.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I have never seen this on another bike, is the general consensus that this is ok? Seems like a wide open door for dirt and water to get into the bearings and it concerns me.
I'm not saying its ok, but it does seem to be normal for this bike, IE all fuel exe have the gap., It's not a defect in your particular bike or only affecting a few bikes

I expect to end up replacing the upper headset bearing more frequently as a result- at least it's cheap and easy to replace.

Reactions: 45n

Oct 16, 2022
Georgia

What you replace shock with or did you replace bike altogether? Mess with the volume spacers at all before replacement? My Rail w/coil finally ready, so have that again! If firm is what the Fuel EXe simply is in comparison then be just my flow trail bike
Just the shock! Love the bike! That answer wasn't clear at all. Sorry.

I got a 9.5. The only stock components left are the cranks and chainring. So I had the very basic Float. If I'd had more adjustments, I think the Float could have been good.

I'm swapping between a Performance X2 (M/M) that came on my Banshee Titan and a Hazzard. Both 65mm stroke. Tons of room, but have a 5mm stroke reducer for the Hazzard and have the X2 set up with one more volume reducer than I would normally run. Wish the suspension was a tad more progressive. 160mm air spring for my Lyrik just arrived, and I'll definitely be playing with that000.

To me, the X2 feels miles better than the Float, even though they are both very basic. And Shockwiz agrees. I setup by a combination of feel and its input. Neither it nor I could ever manage to like the Float, while both it and I like the X2.

Oct 16, 2022
Georgia

I had a Cane Creek bearing assembly cover lying around and put it on. While the outer gap is still there to some degree, there is definitely more sealing on the interior of the Cane Creek. They are not the same design. I'd bet the same is the case with the Hope. I wouldn't worry any more about it, but I also don't think you wasted your money on the Hope.

And you to have some gap. If you didn't, you'd need to shim. Support

Oct 16, 2022
Georgia

And I did play with volume spacers. I was getting full travel pretty easily and felt mid-stroke was barely adequate, but it still felt a little harsh and chattery off the top. So volume spacers weren't the answer. If I could have dialed LSC out or increased HSC, I might have had a shot.

But set-up is so personal that I wouldn't write off the Performance Float at all. But if you have the same experience, I wouldn't think it's just your imagination or that you're not making the right set-up choices.

Oct 16, 2022
Georgia
I'm really loving the Ohlins TTx1 on the Fuel- this is their smaller air volume option with good adjustability. Some very good deals to be had on these as well.
Thanks for the tip. I'm getting along pretty well with the X2 with volume spacers and the Hazzard run with a lot of HSC damping. But I've never had good luck with X2 (or Fox) durability on shocks, so something different is probably in the cards at some point.

Sly07

May 8, 2022
France
Hello,
I have a Levo sl with which I do typical mountain outings of 50/60 km and 2000/2500 m of elevation without a range extender.
I drive 95% in eco mode, using the other modes for a few short passages where I have to push in eco mode. For those who know the levo SL, for these outings the eco mode is on 20/60 or 25/60 (20% assistance and maximum power at 60%). I would like if with an EXE fuel, I could envisage a similar autonomy with an equivalent assistance (or 20/40 ou 20/50).
Thank you

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
Hello,
I have a Levo sl with which I do typical mountain outings of 50/60 km and 2000/2500 m of elevation without a range extender.
I drive 95% in eco mode, using the other modes for a few short passages where I have to push in eco mode. For those who know the levo SL, for these outings the eco mode is on 20/60 or 25/60 (20% assistance and maximum power at 60%). I would like if with an EXE fuel, I could envisage a similar autonomy with an equivalent assistance (or 20/40 ou 20/50).
Thank you
With the EXE you can adjust the assist levels and max power levels to be whatever you want them to be. There are no limitations that I recall. I think eco mode of 70% and 100W is more common.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles