Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

prolix2

Aug 21, 2022
United States
Apologize for my mistaken message. I had just tried the bike out in the parking lot. Getting back on the trail today the grinders is bad as ever. A lot of back-and-forth with the between Trek and the local bike shop. Currently no hope of making it right.. Since it’s so difficult to reproduce I think I’m fine I was just being overly sensitive to something that it within the range of a normal Sound. Trek also tells a local bike shop that it takes 150 miles for the sensors to accomplish all their recalibrations. Are. I will try to attach a short video and see what you think if the sound is acceptable

When I said I think I’m fine, what I really said was I think the truck dealer thanks and I’m just being overly sensitive to some sound it’s normally within the acceptable range of the system. That’s why I attempted to post a video

prolix2

Aug 21, 2022
United States
Not knowing how to use this forum system, and not being a keyboarder , I would not blame the administrator if he “fired” me from the forum. Until then… My apologies to all

prolix2

Aug 21, 2022
United States
Not knowing how to use this forum system, and not being a keyboarder , I would not blame the administrator if he “fired” me from the forum. Until then… My apologies to all
Meanwhile, my friends are telling me to return the bike, which is now five days from its theoretical return date, But another local shop,( I bought the bike very remotely, Halfway across the US) Says they will make the bike right, or allow a return even after the theoretical return date, even if it means getting a new bike, or swapping motors. By the way, the performance is not at all affected. The first 30 or so miles were perfect. And now after another 50 miles or so everything is still perfect except that damn sound. Maybe once you experience perfection it’s hard to except anything else?

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
I like to set max assist to 300W at all three levels. That way the fractional assistance continues as I put in more effort at any level. Often this can reduce the need to switch to a higher assist level. Also, you don’t feel a “drop” in support as you exceed a preset limit. It’s not a good way to maximize range, but I’m generally just trying to maximize fun.

You might give it a try to see how you like it.
I'm a convert. Today I set the MAX Watts on all three modes to 300W and it worked well. It gives ECO Mode more range. The assist is mellow when cruising but you get significantly more assist when climbing. I used MID Mode less and it also made for a little less downshifting when climbing.

Here are my new settings:
MODEECOMIDHIGH
MAX WATTS300300300
ASSIST %6084120
Pedal responseQuickQuickMedium
I believe it doesn't use more power compared to switching to level 2 instead. It is programmed to have 300W available but if you aren't standing on the pedals, it will use much less power. If you want to save power, use lower gears when climbing.
I was afraid it might lunge forward if I stood on the pedals but the difference is subtle. When I was grinding up a hill it gradually helped more than it would if the Max Watts was set to 150W. With less human output when using ECO, it works like the MAX Watts was set much lower. MID mode was still useful but I didn't use it much and in High Mode it is real easy. It would be very useful for getting home if you bonk, for example.

Thank you, @levity !

prolix2

Aug 21, 2022
United States
Thanks for the tag, folks. Jujujuice and I have been in discussion as he is communicating with me through Instagram. We're unsure of the issue and I haven't been privy to any updates since our team in Australia is working with that dealer and also in communication with TQ. It does sound like either a service bulletin is missed or there is something about those specific motors causing it to sound off. I've ridden three of these so far and they've all been quiet and I haven't had any of the symptoms. Either way, we'll spend time with TQ to look into it and find a solution.

Also, see attached for the lockring service bulletin. This reads exactly like the noise being described.

View attachment 97233
My LBS did this and it did not make a bit difference in my grind/clatter sound.

prolix2

Aug 21, 2022
United States
I listened to the video and the grinding does sound annoying. Does it make the grinding noise when you are coasting too? I think I could hear the grinding when I could also hear the cassette spin.
It is odd that the noise is so conspicuous in the video but was quiet or unnoticeable at the shop. I added your noise video.

noise video
The sounds between the clattering sounds are the baseline motor sound and chain and cassette sound , Which are normal. My phone just exaggerates everything.

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
Found it Thankyou!

And yes I have also been constantly dropping chains along with the creaking. Much appreciated.
When I replaced the chain on mine it was clear the chain guide was positioned way too high and not doing anything I lowered it by a fair bit too make it work.

Not sure if this is the same for yours?

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Getting gun shy. Rode a Kenevo SL today. Amazing suspension. Pretty good discount 25% right now which makes it very attractive. Not a fan of the motor noise but not a deal breaker. Decisions!

Oldhack79

Aug 30, 2022
Perth, Western Australia
It’s fine the standard travel is ok for most of the trails in Perth, power wise it feels fine better than my SL but nowhere near a Full Ebike.

If you buy from an official Trek store you get a 30 day return period to try the bike, Trek Myaree ask for Connor he is the manager.
Thanks for that Moe Ped. Great to know about the 30 day return policy. Solves any buyers remorse concerns. I am a fair bit closer to the Belmont shop though. Was in there drooling over these yesterday 😎
I think I am convinced but want to see how others do bumping up the travel to 160 F 150 (ish) rear 1st. I think that would really help on some of the bigger stuff we encounter on the Enduro circuit. Not keen on FF so the Rail is out.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Getting gun shy. Rode a Kenevo SL today. Amazing suspension. Pretty good discount 25% right now which makes it very attractive. Not a fan of the motor noise but not a deal breaker. Decisions!

if you don’t care about the sound and obvious EMTB looks of the Kenevo SL, then save the money. The SL models from Specialized exceeded all my expectations for range and output.

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
How do you like the Bontrager tires that came with your Fuel? The grip seems barely adequate to me but I think they are fast rolling. This is compared to the really slow Assegai front tire on my manual bike. I thought my Fuel was an exceptionally fast coaster and now I realize it's the tires. So, I'm shopping for tires.

So, I love the grip of the Assegai and maybe rolling resistance doesn't matter much on an ebike. Are there better "Happy medium" tires? Buy the way, I'm a cowardly slow turner and probably always will be so cornering grip isn't as important to me as stability and braking over loose rocks and chunk. That is where the Bontragers are a little squirrely.

By the way, a weird thing about some Maxxis tires is most of their 29x2.5" tires are "WT" which means they are designed for 35mm wide rims, not our 29mm rims. However, they have 2.6" tires which are not WT. Are they better for 29mm rims?

chade

Oct 5, 2022
Brisbane, Australia
How do you like the Bontrager tires that came with your Fuel? The grip seems barely adequate to me but I think they are fast rolling. This is compared to the really slow Assegai front tire on my manual bike. I thought my Fuel was an exceptionally fast coaster and now I realize it's the tires. So, I'm shopping for tires.

So, I love the grip of the Assegai and maybe rolling resistance doesn't matter much on an ebike. Are there better "Happy medium" tires? Buy the way, I'm a cowardly slow turner and probably always will be so cornering grip isn't as important to me as stability and braking over loose rocks and chunk. That is where the Bontragers are a little squirrely.

By the way, a weird thing about some Maxxis tires is most of their 29x2.5" tires are "WT" which means they are designed for 35mm wide rims, not our 29mm rims. However, they have 2.6" tires which are not WT. Are they better for 29mm rims?
Maxxis WT 2.5" are perfectly fine with 29mm rims. As are the 2.6". I wouldn't let rim width be the determining factor between picking between them. It's the smaller non-WT Maxxis that start to run a bit square, with side knobs engaging to early, from 30mm and up.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand

WT works best on 30mm+ rims and will be fine on the Bonty rims. Ive got 29x2.6 XR4's on my rail (supplied lower than spec from Trek) and they are okay although I have a Maxx grip Assegai that will go on the front soon. IMO you can't go wrong with DHF/Assegai front and DHR rear. If you worried about rolling resistance stick to Maxx Terra or 3C (less grippy compounds)

I'm also looking forward to getting back on 2.4" wide tyres, I dislike the floaty bubble feeling of 2.6"

Larno

Apr 10, 2022
Christchurch, New Zealand
Hi Guys,
It's been a decade since I rode a mtb and I'm pretty unfit and tanking in at 107kg currently... I'm wanting to get back into riding and get some fitness back in me. I will mostly ride pretty flat single tracks near me ~500ft elevation over 10-20km. I was thinking about a Rail as an Emtb feels like it would help me ease back into it all and the more fun it is the more i'll do it etc. However, I really like the look and the design of the Fuel exe, I was probably only thinking of a Fuel exe 9.5 model of which there is plenty here in NZ in shops.
Would you guys think that the exe would haul my fat arse around a track (with hopefully some assistance from me) like above or do you think my current weight might drain the battery excessively and/or not be enough power and a full fat emtb would be a better bet? As the tracks are mostly flat I'm curious to get your opinions.
Both the rail 9.7 and fuel exe 9.5 (same price) felt really good to me in a small carpark, but it's hard to judge in a carpark, especially when you haven't biked in ages.

Thanks All,

Hitorogoshi

May 19, 2020
South Africa
Hi Guys,
It's been a decade since I rode a mtb and I'm pretty unfit and tanking in at 107kg currently... I'm wanting to get back into riding and get some fitness back in me. I will mostly ride pretty flat single tracks near me ~500ft elevation over 10-20km. I was thinking about a Rail as an Emtb feels like it would help me ease back into it all and the more fun it is the more i'll do it etc. However, I really like the look and the design of the Fuel exe, I was probably only thinking of a Fuel exe 9.5 model of which there is plenty here in NZ in shops.
Would you guys think that the exe would haul my fat arse around a track (with hopefully some assistance from me) like above or do you think my current weight might drain the battery excessively and/or not be enough power and a full fat emtb would be a better bet? As the tracks are mostly flat I'm curious to get your opinions.
Both the rail 9.7 and fuel exe 9.5 (same price) felt really good to me in a small carpark, but it's hard to judge in a carpark, especially when you haven't biked in ages.

Thanks All,
You won't have any issues, mate. I'm 105kg and it does me just fine. I can get 30km and 1000m elevation out of it easily

Hitorogoshi

May 19, 2020
South Africa

They're not bad tyres. I must agree with you that the cornering grip isn't the best and they are fast rolling.
I will most def being going maxxis once I have scandi flicked the crap out of my rear

four_seven

Sep 1, 2022
Wellington, New Zealand
They're not bad tyres. I must agree with you that the cornering grip isn't the best and they are fast rolling.
I will most def being going maxxis once I have scandi flicked the crap out of my rear
They look like a hybrid between the dhf and dhr2 patterns - I’m finding them okay so far but was also thinking about other trail options, especially that are 2.4in. I’m optimistically an intermediate rider though so I’m probably not on their limits.

four_seven

Sep 1, 2022
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi Guys,

Thanks All,
My weekend ride was almost 1,100m elevation and 38.5km long, and it was jumping between the default eco and trail settings most of the time (no boost used). Road, gravel, and single track. That drained 86%, I’m ~75kg riding weight.

It depends what you want out of your bike - I’m loving the nimbleness of the exe, but have never owned a full fat and was looking something to take the edge off hills without being too hard to handle.

The distances and elevation you’re thinking of riding will be perfect territory for the exe, and you won’t need to think about battery, but rides with more than 750m elevation mean you have to consider when to dial back the power, and heavier bikes with heavier batteries might do better in that case.

Because of this bike I don’t mind riding 5-10km to the trails, something I wouldn’t dream of doing on an acoustic bike - so I think it (or any ebike) would encourage you out more.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Hi Guys,

Thanks All,
I have been riding my full power Decoy for almost four years. On half the rides I do I am not getting enough work in. On ECO you have too much power for that ride you describe. I also ride either by myself or with very stubborn push bikers who have not seen the light yet. The EXe seems to be the unicorn. That and at 62 lifting the 55lb Decoy on and off the bike rack is starting to really become a issue going forward.

Hitorogoshi

May 19, 2020
South Africa
Get your chainring torque checked owners. After two rides this weekend I had major creaking from the BB. After my ride yesterday I felt the chainring was a bit loose by moving it with my hand.

When the cranks were removed the chainring was hardly hand tight.
My bike has the 30nm stamp on it but the serial (still speculation) suggests it's one of the newer models that got torqued properly from the factory.

Torqued it to 50nm this morning and all good now!

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
Get your chainring torque checked owners. After two rides this weekend I had major creaking from the BB. After my ride yesterday I felt the chainring was a bit loose by moving it with my hand.

When the cranks were removed the chainring was hardly hand tight.
My bike has the 30nm stamp on it but the serial (still speculation) suggests it's one of the newer models that got torqued properly from the factory.

Torqued it to 50nm this morning and all good now!
By "Chainring", I think you mean "Lockring".

1665415741754.png

Last edited:

izzymtb

Sep 1, 2022
SoCal
Hi Guys,

Thanks All,
What he said and more importantly getting the right size. But also consider a 9.7 or you might find yourself upgrading to the moon.

prolix2

Aug 21, 2022
United States
Hi Guys,

Thanks All,
I have a new rail and a new fuel EXE . Our local trails are 500 foot elevation, usually riding 8 to 10 miles. I weigh 77 kg . Both bikes are wonderful and I would have a hard time deciding which one to get if I could only get one. Maybe if I weighed more, I would lean toward the rail..

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
By "Chainring", I think you mean "Lockring".

View attachment 98993
That lock ring must have a bunch of margin in it. Going from 22 ft-lbs to 36 ft-lbs (60% higher) is pretty extreme for the same part. Yet no talk about any Loctite to keep it there over time. There is a bunch of high and cyclic loading going on down there that would benefit from a secondary locking feature.

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
That lock ring must have a bunch of margin in it. Going from 22 ft-lbs to 36 ft-lbs (60% higher) is pretty extreme for the same part. Yet no talk about any Loctite to keep it there over time. There is a bunch of high and cyclic loading going on down there that would benefit from a secondary locking feature.
I wonder if it was designed to be torqued to 50Nm or 30Nm? I hope it was designed for 50Nm and there was a miscommunication between engineering and mfg.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles