SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

ssl

Aug 27, 2024
Switzerland
I use BESST. I have 48V system, which is originally 36V engine reprogrammed by SZZT to 48V firmware, so Go app will identify it as 36V using serial number and will update FW to 36V version. This will immediately cause engine error (too high battery voltage) requiring to manually flash 48V firmware with BESST. So it seems like manual upgrade with BESST is the only option for me.
But if you have 48v system already there is no need for Bestt tool to just upgrade Firmware no?

MrFixit

Mar 3, 2023
UK

gkparker85

Aug 15, 2024
Orem, UT
Did I install the headset correctly? On the top stack, starting from the bottom, I went: bearing into the frame > nylon compresson ring > dust cap > spacers > stem > top cap. On the bottom I went: bearing into the frame > crown race > fork. I ask because my headset included an additional slotted race but I can't see that it's used for anything. I'm assuming it's just for a fork with different sized steerer tube?

And how much clearance are you guys getting with your dust cap? I used a bearing press tool to push the bearings into the cups and was worried about damaging them if I sucked them down any harder, and I have pre-loaded my top cap so hard that I'm afraid I'm going to pull my star nut out of my steerer if I go much harder, but I'm still getting a gap and a decent amount of play in the whole assembly. Wondering if there's something I can improve or if it's just kind of a cheap headset that I should look at replacing.

IMG_1938.jpeg

souftosouf

May 4, 2024
Marseille - France
Did I install the headset correctly? On the top stack, starting from the bottom, I went: bearing into the frame > nylon compresson ring > dust cap > spacers > stem > top cap. On the bottom I went: bearing into the frame > crown race > fork. I ask because my headset included an additional slotted race but I can't see that it's used for anything. I'm assuming it's just for a fork with different sized steerer tube?

And how much clearance are you guys getting with your dust cap? I used a bearing press tool to push the bearings into the cups and was worried about damaging them if I sucked them down any harder, and I have pre-loaded my top cap so hard that I'm afraid I'm going to pull my star nut out of my steerer if I go much harder, but I'm still getting a gap and a decent amount of play in the whole assembly. Wondering if there's something I can improve or if it's just kind of a cheap headset that I should look at replacing.

View attachment 146195
had the exact same issue.

Gap is normal but if there is a play, its because you either have put the compression ring upside down, or you did not put enough spacer on your fork (below or above the stem).

You may also have put the bearing upside down (angled outside edge should be toward the other bearing)

The last spacer should be 2-3 mm above the fork, otherwise compression ring has no compression

spokémon

Apr 4, 2023
Australia
I ask because my headset included an additional slotted race but I can't see that it's used for anything. I'm assuming it's just for a fork with different sized steerer tube?

That is correct. It's probably for 1.8" steerer

compression issue follow instructions post from @souftosouf

You shouldn't put extreme torque on the top cap! You definitely shouldn't need a bearing press "to push the bearing into the cup"! That sounds scary :lol

If you still have problems, pull it apart and show us photos of your assembly

Last edited:

gkparker85

Aug 15, 2024
Orem, UT
had the exact same issue.

Gap is normal but if there is a play, its because you either have put the compression ring upside down, or you did not put enough spacer on your fork (below or above the stem).

You may also have put the bearing upside down (angled outside edge should be toward the other bearing)

The last spacer should be 2-3 mm above the fork, otherwise compression ring has no compression
Hmm. Pretty positive I didn't install anything upside down - double checked orientation on everything before installing. I'm using the correct spacer height to ensure that my top cap has at least 2mm to pull on for compression - and I've got that bolt cranked down hard - the system is definitely as tight as I can get it - but for whatever reason my fork still has a slight bit of play that I'm hoping to remove.

I did notice that I have the compression cap and dust cap installed pointing the opposite direction from I believe is intended - but I don't think that would make a difference, yea? I'm not looking forward to fixing that - I've already attached and bled my brake hose :(

Regardless, I'll take the whole assembly apart tomorrow and doublecheck everything and see if I can figure out where the play is.

ssl

Aug 27, 2024
Switzerland
So based on pics and discussions I see many of you went with side frame cable routing? As my frame is on order can still make that decision. As not putting anything "wireless", need minimum 4 cables going back.
Also anyone kept black "matte" colour as not keen on DYI paint job :) and looks batman cool at least on pics.

Last edited:

voigtkampff

Oct 18, 2023
Poland
correct

And how much clearance are you guys getting with your dust cap? I used a bearing press tool to push the bearings into the cups and was worried about damaging them if I sucked them down any harder

you should not need using bearing press to insert bearings into zero stack headset cups, usually they fit without any resistance

, and I have pre-loaded my top cap so hard that I'm afraid I'm going to pull my star nut out of my steerer if I go much harder, but I'm still getting a gap and a decent amount of play in the whole assembly. Wondering if there's something I can improve or if it's just kind of a cheap headset that I should look at replacing.

preloading the cap that hard may lead to pulling star nut indeed. using this much force should not be necessary and it won't solve this issue. this is a well-known problem with this headset and the only working solution is replacement of the headset with a good quality one, see Non-ICR headset, internal frame cable guide conversion for the SZZS-specific CEF50

lovely color

gkparker85

Aug 15, 2024
Orem, UT
Good grief. FINALLY got everything put together after days of trial and error and frustration. Finally took it our for a spin and am immediately getting ERROR 21. The magnet is installed correctly but it doesn't look like it comes anywhere near close enough for the sensor to pick it up - why did they put the sensor in the wrong location for the magnet they've supplied?? Should I look into getting a new magnet or relocating the sensor?

Also - how on earth are people getting these under 40lbs? Mine weighs 44 pounds even though I've used carbon wheels, a carbon handlebar, X01 drivetrain, etc. I don't think I could shave 4 more pounds even with an unlimited budget and flimsy XC parts.
IMG_1942.jpeg

Last edited:

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
Good grief. FINALLY got everything put together after days of trial and error and frustration. Finally took it our for a spin and am immediately getting ERROR 21. The magnet is installed correctly but it doesn't look like it comes anywhere near close enough for the sensor to pick it up - why did they put the sensor in the wrong location for the magnet they've supplied?? Should I look into getting a new magnet or relocating the sensor?

Also - how on earth are people getting these under 40lbs? Mine weighs 44 pounds even though I've used carbon wheels, a carbon handlebar, X01 drivetrain, etc. I don't think I could shave 4 more pounds even with an unlimited budget and flimsy XC parts. View attachment 146263
Weight wise, I think the tires are also a good explanation, if you want something that won’t’ fail on the first trail, it’s heavy!
Also, what battery do you have ?

calvintys

Sep 12, 2023
Malaysia

Also - how on earth are people getting these under 40lbs? Mine weighs 44 pounds even though I've used carbon wheels, a carbon handlebar, X01 drivetrain, etc. I don't think I could shave 4 more pounds even with an unlimited budget and flimsy XC parts. View attachment 146263
For your error 21 its a very conmen problem, just pull the speed sensor cable out from MOTOR and extention JOIN. I believe your sensor cable has another short cable that act as extension. Just pull both cable out and push it back in. PLEASE take NOTE you speed on the magnet side, there should be enough room for movement when your shock its fully compress else your cable will be pull into 2 piece just like mine.

Last edited:

lkdoido

Apr 8, 2024
Brasil

The bike is beautiful. Regarding weight, it has 700 batteries weighing 4 kg and 410 batteries weighing 2.6 kg. Its tires are 2.6 and easily 0.5 kg more than a 2.35. The most important thing is that it is configured for your needs.

gkparker85

Aug 15, 2024
Orem, UT
The bike is beautiful. Regarding weight, it has 700 batteries weighing 4 kg and 410 batteries weighing 2.6 kg. Its tires are 2.6 and easily 0.5 kg more than a 2.35. The most important thing is that it is configured for your needs.
Thank you! I'm very happy with how it turned out. Love the color. And that makes sense - I went with the 700 battery, 29 inch wheels, etc. My old Specialized Levo Turbo from 2018 weighs about 56 pounds so this should still feel much better on the trails.

ssl

Aug 27, 2024
Switzerland

Beautiful build mate, well done!

Ger@anio63

Sep 6, 2024
Italy
Ciao a tutti, finalmente ho premuto il pulsante anch'io 💥 e farò parte di un gruppo che ama costruire cose come meglio crede 💥
scusate per la mia traduzione in inglese 😁

Icona di Verificata con community

Ger@anio63

Sep 6, 2024
Italy
Ho creato un portautensili multiplo a costo zero. Cosa ne pensi?
Se qualcuno fosse interessato mi contatti, ho le foto dei materiali utilizzati

multitool out.jpeg multitool inside.jpeg

gkparker85

Aug 15, 2024
Orem, UT
Took mine out for it's first ride last night. Everything seems to be working smoothly. The Bafang motor is noisy as hell compared to Brose motor in my 2019 Levo Turbo. Almost to the point of being annoying - but I knew this was going to be the case when I bought it. The upsides are worth it - with this setup I gain 50% battery and lose 12 pounds compared to the Levo. Plus this bike cost about 1/2 what a new Levo does. I am getting an annoying clicking noise when descending that kind of sounds like maybe cables/plastic parts bouncing around and hitting the carbon - I wish the frame had cable guides and that the connector cords didn't have so many plastic bits. I'm not quite sure I have the energy to diagnose exactly what's causing the noise this month... maybe next month.

-Has anyone found a suitable front chain-guide for this frame? Doesn't appear to have any standardized mounting points for one. Having a chain come off on an ebike in high power mode while you're still pedaling can be disastrous...

-Has anyone found a good user manual for the motor/display? I found one for how to physically install the motor but nothing for how to use the system. I would like to know how to switch from Km to Miles, how to turn off the ambient light sensor, etc.

-Is it possible to modify any of the motor settings with the 820 like overrun, acceleration, etc.? And how should I got about upgrading the firmware if I got the 36V motor? I've seen people mention both the BafangGo app and an app called Ssense?

Thanks for everyone's help getting this thing put together. Only my second time tinkering with a modern MTB so lots of trial and error but am satisfied with the end result.

calvintys

Sep 12, 2023
Malaysia
For chain drop issue, My cef50 i have try several chain.

1. Shimano XTR chain with deckas chainring no chain drop after multi ride but my chain was too short so i have to replace it.
2. SRAM GX with deckas chainring, NOT a single drop but reach 0.6 at 650KM so need to be replace.
3. YBN ebike chain with worn Deckas chainring, keep drop until i lost count. My friend has this same chain with new original Bafang also has similar chain drop.
4. SRAM XX1 chain with NEW Deckas chainring so far no chain drop as i just install recently.

My personal recommendation its just use Deckas Chainring and replace your chainring every time you replace your chain since that chainring its dirt cheap on Aliexpress n use only Shimano or SRAM chain to prevent chain from dropping.

Last edited:

masahirov

Jan 24, 2024
tokyo japan
Took mine out for it's first ride last night. Everything seems to be working smoothly. The Bafang motor is noisy as hell compared to Brose motor in my 2019 Levo Turbo. Almost to the point of being annoying - but I knew this was going to be the case when I bought it. The upsides are worth it - with this setup I gain 50% battery and lose 12 pounds compared to the Levo. Plus this bike cost about 1/2 what a new Levo does. I am getting an annoying clicking noise when descending that kind of sounds like maybe cables/plastic parts bouncing around and hitting the carbon - I wish the frame had cable guides and that the connector cords didn't have so many plastic bits. I'm not quite sure I have the energy to diagnose exactly what's causing the noise this month... maybe next month.

-Has anyone found a suitable front chain-guide for this frame? Doesn't appear to have any standardized mounting points for one. Having a chain come off on an ebike in high power mode while you're still pedaling can be disastrous...

-Has anyone found a good user manual for the motor/display? I found one for how to physically install the motor but nothing for how to use the system. I would like to know how to switch from Km to Miles, how to turn off the ambient light sensor, etc.

-Is it possible to modify any of the motor settings with the 820 like overrun, acceleration, etc.? And how should I got about upgrading the firmware if I got the 36V motor? I've seen people mention both the BafangGo app and an app called Ssense?

Thanks for everyone's help getting this thing put together. Only my second time tinkering with a modern MTB so lots of trial and error but am satisfied with the end result.
Congratulations on completing the bike.

If the HMI you are using is C245, the dealer manual on the following page may be helpful.
零部件

There is also a manual for the motor, but it doesn't say much about it (lol)
零部件

Ger@anio63

Sep 6, 2024
Italy
Ho portato la mia per il suo primo giro ieri sera. Tutto sembra funzionare senza problemi. Il motore Bafang è rumoroso come l'inferno rispetto al motore Brose nella mia Levo Turbo del 2019. Quasi al punto di essere fastidioso, ma sapevo che sarebbe stato così quando l'ho sviluppato. I vantaggi valgono la pena: con questa configurazione guadagni il 50% di batteria e perde 12 libbre rispetto alla Levo. Inoltre questa bici costa circa la metà di una nuova Levo. Sento un fastidioso rumore di clic quando scendo, che sembra un po' come se i cavi/parti in plastica rimbalzassero e colpissero il carbonio. Vorrei che il telaio avesse delle guide per i cavi e che i cavi di collegamento non avessero così tanti pezzi di plastica. Non sono sicuro di avere l'energia per diagnosticare esattamente cosa sta causando il rumore questo mese... forse il mese prossimo.

-Qualcuno ha trovato una guidacatena anteriore adatta per questo telaio? Non sembra avere punti di montaggio standardizzati per una. Avere una catena che si stacca su una bici elettrica in modalità ad alta potenza mentre si sta ancora pedalando può essere disastroso...

-Qualcuno ha trovato un buon manuale utente per il motore/display? Ne ho trovato uno su come installare fisicamente il motore ma niente su come usare il sistema. Vorrei sapere come passare da Km a Miglia, come disattivare il sensore di luce ambientale, ecc.

-È possibile modificare alcune delle impostazioni del motore con l'820 come overrun, accelerazione, ecc.? E come dovrei fare per aggiornare il firmware se ho il motore da 36 V? Ho visto persone menzionare sia l'app BafangGo che un'app chiamata Ssense?

Grazie a tutti per l'aiuto nel mettere insieme questa cosa. È solo la seconda volta che armeggio con una MTB moderna, quindi ho dovuto fare molti tentativi ed errori, ma sono soddisfatto del risultato finale.

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
I drilled and threaded the motor mounting bolt.

I drilled and threaded the motor mounting bolt.

WhatsApp Image 2024-09-08 at 08.57.35.jpeg

Ger@anio63

Sep 6, 2024
Italy
ciao ho trovato questo articolo per l'ammortizzatore la differenza è di 1 mm cosa ne pensi può essere compatibile❓
la casa originale misura 39mm

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles