SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia
I have the inhouse battery. I have a separate power button on the top tube. This turns on just the battery. To turn on the motor I need to power up the display. So for me it's a 2 step process.

I suspect if using a Bafang battery, you only need to power everything on using the the display. 1 step process.

Can anyone please confirm?
correct

forsa355

Jan 31, 2023
Canada
I thought carbon would be nice, but thinking about it, probably not a good idea. Imagine smashing carbon onto rocks yikes!

I agree, a softer plastic like nylon? would work much better. I was think to use a thermoforming plastic like Kydex?
Also, I think the current guard hangs down too low. I have to double check, but I think there's lots of room between motor and guard.

Can someone 3D print pretty please?
maybe Linda/Jean can provide CAD files for these to be 3d printed. Or maybe even have someone build an aluminum one from the file data

forsa355

Jan 31, 2023
Canada
Finally after 8 months I've built my CEF50! Waited for 410wh battery (gave up on that), endured Canadian port workers strike, had a DOA display cable and finally was evacuated due to wildfires. Was the wait worth it? Hell ya!

My build is a budget but performance oriented one - trail/enduroish. 720wh battery, 160front, 157.5 rear travel, mullet wheelset. Lot's of Aliexpress parts and using 2nd hand fork and shock (takeoff). Weighs about 45lb with pedals and tire sealant. Was hoping for less, but in the end still very light for 720wh battery, heavier components and this amount of power. I filmed my build and will post a full video with review on Youtube shortly. Rides great! Will wait for motor tuning (I have the v3 display) until I get in some more technical climbs. But so far very impressed with both the frame and M820 system.

PXL_20230905_205617398~2.jpg

PXL_20230905_210023081~2.jpg

PXL_20230905_210114342~2.jpg

PXL_20230904_231056779.jpg

Bengy22

Aug 25, 2022
USA
Finally after 8 months I've built my CEF50! Waited for 410wh battery (gave up on that), endured Canadian port workers strike, had a DOA display cable and finally was evacuated due to wildfires. Was the wait worth it? Hell ya!

My build is a budget but performance oriented one - trail/enduroish. 720wh battery, 160front, 157.5 rear travel, mullet wheelset. Lot's of Aliexpress parts and using 2nd hand fork and shock (takeoff). Weighs about 45lb with pedals and tire sealant. Was hoping for less, but in the end still very light for 720wh battery, heavier components and this amount of power. I filmed my build and will post a full video with review on Youtube shortly. Rides great! Will wait for motor tuning (I have the v3 display) until I get in some more technical climbs. But so far very impressed with both the frame and M820 system.

View attachment 124187
View attachment 124188
View attachment 124189
View attachment 124190
Great looking budget build, I will checkout the youtube video when it gets posted. Curious what you spent for the build, wonder how cheap someone could get a build done for

forsa355

Jan 31, 2023
Canada
Great looking budget build, I will checkout the youtube video when it gets posted. Curious what you spent for the build, wonder how cheap someone could get a build done for
I was tracking the cost on a spreadsheet... I think it was around $4200 Canadian (~$3100 USD) total. I have to verify but I don't think that includes the Nukeproof headset I upgraded to, nor the DPC245 LCD display (my original order was with a DPE 181 display but it didn't work.. so ordered the 245. Turns out it was a faulty cable so now I have both controls).

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
I currently use external, bottle batteries, because my internal were damaged in shipment, and the motor turns on via the assist selector. I don't "think" anyone else has/used the top tube switch.

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia

View attachment 124187
View attachment 124188
View attachment 124189
View attachment 124190
enjoy broo....budget spent for more happy riding. Nice bike.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
I was tracking the cost on a spreadsheet... I think it was around $4200 Canadian (~$3100 USD) total. I have to verify but I don't think that includes the Nukeproof headset I upgraded to, nor the DPC245 LCD display (my original order was with a DPE 181 display but it didn't work.. so ordered the 245. Turns out it was a faulty cable so now I have both controls).
Love the bear paw prints!

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I thought carbon would be nice, but thinking about it, probably not a good idea. Imagine smashing carbon onto rocks yikes!

I agree, a softer plastic like nylon? would work much better. I was think to use a thermoforming plastic like Kydex?
Also, I think the current guard hangs down too low. I have to double check, but I think there's lots of room between motor and guard.

Can someone 3D print pretty please?
Well, I was thinking they make a carbon one, and then I cover it with strips of down tube protective armor for a greater deflection and absorption strategy? (Using the layered burrito concept...different cheeses, guacamole, and beans for mixed consistency in order to thwart off differing flavor attacks!🌯)

Relatedly, I just got word from Linda. Looks like they're proceeding with a full carbon bash plate upgrade. I don't know the extra costs.

Here's convo that just took place.👇

Screenshot_20230905-200759.png

JJ-NOR

Aug 5, 2023
Norway

View attachment 124187
View attachment 124188
View attachment 124189
View attachment 124190
Nice build! When do you post the YouTube video? Love to Watch it 😃

Myalteregohamish

Jan 4, 2023
Vancouver, WA
maybe Linda/Jean can provide CAD files for these to be 3d printed. Or maybe even have someone build an aluminum one from the file data
Just talked to Linda this morning, this is what she said “Andrew, at last , the engineer decides to develop carbon material motor cover. but it needs 1-2 month to develop”. Looks like Tom and I had the same conversation.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Just talked to Linda this morning, this is what she said “Andrew, at last , the engineer decides to develop carbon material motor cover. but it needs 1-2 month to develop”. Looks like Tom and I had the same conversation.
Shoot! Linda just contacted me. The new, replacement plastic cover have problems too!🤯 With the tab breaking as you said. I'm not sure I can reinforce the tab with a carbon patch and have it fit properly. What do you think?

I requested the original cover (if they still have any left) and hope to strengthen it as the cover tabs seemed to survive impact. I figure this might be best way to work around the defect until the carbon motor plates are available.

I need some protection at the very least...kind of a bummer if not. I'll ride but now only smooth and flat--what little is around the chunky desert here.🤔😉😝

Stephen B

Feb 24, 2021
El Dorado Hills, California USA
How about making your own out of Polycarbonate, ie. Lexan, it seems like a ideal material, highly impact resistant.
Its a thermoplastic so should be able bend/shape it yourself. heat to 300 f in oven.

I think I have an old face shield that I can sacrifice to try it myself.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
TC ( or do we call you Clyde) did you save all the pieces, to glue back together to make a mold?
No. It was 8 pieces, with several smaller ones, so just junked 'em.

Interesting idea, but I'm thinking my carbon patch should work with strips of downtube armor.

Plus, I'm more familiar with the carbon patch kit reinforcement methodology. So kinda staying with past successes if possible.🤞

But post pics of your workaround when possible. Always good to explore viable options.!👊

giczalec

Jan 26, 2023
EU
I have for sale 2 bikes.
Green one and blue one.
Both 860Wh LG M58 battery.
Blue one got 5A charger, green one 2A charger.
Price for Blue: 6499€ - Size L
Price for Green: 4499€ - Size M
We did 10/10pcs for one big customer from Saudi Arabia but made 2 more just in case. Shipping to EU zone only.

20230823_143317.jpg 20230823_144727.jpg

Myalteregohamish

Jan 4, 2023
Vancouver, WA
How about making your own out of Polycarbonate, ie. Lexan, it seems like a ideal material, highly impact resistant.
Its a thermoplastic so should be able bend/shape it yourself. heat to 300 f in oven.

I think I have an old face shield that I can sacrifice to try it myself.
This is what I was thinking about trying as well. It also might be a good way to shape it so it’s a lower profile and closer to the motor than the one they are shipping from the manufacturer.

Stephen B

Feb 24, 2021
El Dorado Hills, California USA
The face shield feels to thin and flexible it might deflect to much under impact and not protect the motor. On the other hand if the guard is too stiff it would transfer too much impact force to the frame and maybe crack the carbon.
I will go to Tap Plastics next week to check out thicker pieces.

spokémon

Apr 4, 2023
Australia
The face shield feels to thin and flexible it might deflect to much under impact and not protect the motor. On the other hand if the guard is too stiff it would transfer too much impact force to the frame and maybe crack the carbon.
I will go to Tap Plastics next week to check out thicker pieces.

could try glueing rubber foam strips between motor and guard?

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Check this out! I just sent this to Linda to consider making the carbon motor plate upgrade slimmer in profile like the Forestal Siryon. Since the Siryon uses the Bafang M820 ,(60 Nm v. Ours at 75 Nm), hoping that it will lower the motor profile and thin it down a bit for a better, more sleek look!🍾And reduce it to a smaller air gap that might be adding to the impact explosion I experienced.💥
We'll see what happens...🤛
Screenshot_20230908-115334.png

Screenshot_20230908-115400.png

Last edited:

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
So the good news is...I made it home with the DS chainstay cracked (just partially)...so lucky it didn't break in half on trail jumps. I lost the inboard bolt and washer too and must have come off before I was loading up my bike on my hitch rack. So yeah!👍 But now I get to wait and warranty it. Probably a month. I might just patch it with my carbon kit so I can ride until the new chain stay arrives. I wonder if I overtorqued the inbound side bolt.😝🤔
PXL_20230909_182249494.MP.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles