SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Check it out to see the Bafang motor parts breakdown. 👇

My complements to Steve Jones from EMBN for fully embracing Bafang motor power, reliability, and inexpensive qualities. 👊

My only minor dig....can they make a replacement casing gasket for the M820 before my 2,000 mile re-greasing. 😝

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
It may not be possible. Carbon fiber is a mild conductor and the frame may act as a shield block the bluetooth signal.
But, I wonder how DJI is doing it with their new drive system. I think the AMFLOW bike featuring DJI electronics has a carbon top tube integrated frame display connected to two handlebar remotes wirelessly via Bluetooth.

Last edited:

voigtkampff

Oct 18, 2023
Poland
But, I wonder how DJI is doing it with their new drive system. I think the AMFLOW bike featuring DJI electronics has a carbon top tube integrated frame display connected to two handlebar remotes wirelessly via Bluetooth.
probably they put BT antenna in the display so that it's not enclosed by the carbon on all sides. anyway, it's not like the carbon shell makes good quality faraday cage. first, graphite is not as good a conductor as metals, second, the fibers are sandwitched with resin which increases the insulation, third, the shell isn't grounded. I believe even in this thread there are folks who use BT comms to BMS hidden inside the downtube, so this doesn't look like a big issue. they could even glue film with microstrip antenna on the outside of the carbon shell close to handlebar to lower energy consumption by the controller

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
probably they put BT antenna in the display so that it's not enclosed by the carbon on all sides. anyway, it's not like the carbon shell makes good quality faraday cage. first, graphite is not as good a conductor as metals, second, the fibers are sandwitched with resin which increases the insulation, third, the shell isn't grounded. I believe even in this thread there are folks who use BT comms to BMS hidden inside the downtube, so this doesn't look like a big issue. they could even glue film with microstrip antenna on the outside of the carbon shell close to handlebar to lower energy consumption by the controller
Alright then! Let's get Bafang engineering on it!😁

Maybe we can convince Steve at EMBN to cajole their engineers into going full wireless remotes. Plus, I think Forestal's Bafang display is wireless, so maybe resistance by Bafang?

Last edited:

souftosouf

May 4, 2024
Marseille - France
1. There is no "canonical" way, there are some hacks documented in the forum
2. The engine provides 12V/0.5A via the light cable, so the choice is limited to lights < 6W. You can hack a circuit which will use the light cable to switch main battery output to the light via optocoupler, I documented one such device on a breadboard in the forum
3. The OEM ICR headset is crap, dunno what they pack if you order frame with side holes for cable routing, see the threads about headsets Non-ICR headset, internal frame cable guide conversion for the SZZS-specific CEF50 | ICR Headsets for the SZZS-specific CEF50 build
4. See Bafang M820 Firmware thread Generally use FW matching your engine's voltage.

Edit:
1. Honestly I believe there's no real reason to use chain guide. I haven't experienced a single chain drop in a regular use during my ~2500km of fairly aggressive riding. The narow-wide profile of included Scenix chainring + clutch on my M8100 derailleur retain chain very well.
2. I use Lezyne eBike Micro Drive 500 High Voltage (powered from main battery via aforementioned switching device)
Thanks for your replies.
Do you guys know if there is a compatible shift sensor for M820 ?

voigtkampff

Oct 18, 2023
Poland
Thanks for your replies.
Do you guys know if there is a compatible shift sensor for M820 ?
there is none, I investigated this area. many folks will tell that with good riding habits (decrease tension on pedals while shifting) none is needed in torque-sensing engine. the problem I see is that the engine shutoff isn't immediate after you stop pushing on pedals and there is a slight "overrun" which will often lead to engine executing the shift with lots of force.

Yozha

Sep 10, 2023
Kazakhstan
Yesterday I went to a local manufacturer of carbon fiber parts - it turns out to be quite a complicated process. You need a geometrically correct part, a matrix is made on its base, and layers of carbon fiber are glued onto the matrix. Making one cover for the engine will cost 250-300USD.
But I was recommended a good manufacturer of 3D parts.
Guys, do you think it is possible to print a strong cover at once on a 3D printer and what kind of plastic should be used for this (I don't understand anything about it at all)?

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Yesterday I went to a local manufacturer of carbon fiber parts - it turns out to be quite a complicated process. You need a geometrically correct part, a matrix is made on its base, and layers of carbon fiber are glued onto the matrix. Making one cover for the engine will cost 250-300USD.
But I was recommended a good manufacturer of 3D parts.
Guys, do you think it is possible to print a strong cover at once on a 3D printer and what kind of plastic should be used for this (I don't understand anything about it at all)?
I ordered a 3D printed small clamp for my old M600 display from a local print shop two years ago. That was $30 USD. I can only think something 10x the size as the motor guard would unlikely retail under $200 USD.. Also, I broke it on the install, too brittle and no choice on the type of plastic.😝

It might make sense if you have access to your own 3-D printer and are just paying material costs.💪 Obviously, most of us don't have that level of 3-D printer access.

Last edited:

Yozha

Sep 10, 2023
Kazakhstan
I ordered a 3D printed small clamp for my old M600 display from a local print shop two years ago. That was $30 USD. I can only think something 10x the size as the motor guard would unlikely retail under $200 USD.. Also, I broke it on the install, too brittle and no choice on the type of plastic.😝

It might make sense if you have access to your own 3-D printer and are just paying material costs.💪 Obviously, most of us don't have that level of 3-D printer access.
Friends, I ordered a cover seal from a trusted supplier. At the consultation the manufacturer said that the problem of our protection is poor adhesion between the layers of plastic. My cover will be made of TOTAL GF-10 plastic, which has good adhesion between the layers and is strong enough for our purposes.

Yozha

Sep 10, 2023
Kazakhstan
Friends, I ordered a engine cover from a trusted supplier. At the consultation the manufacturer said that the problem of our protection is poor adhesion between the layers of plastic. My cover will be made of TOTAL GF-10 plastic, which has good adhesion between the layers and is strong enough for our purposes.
The main thing now is that the 3D model I found a few pages ago is correct. Hopefully in 2-3 weeks I will have a ready copy on my hands.

Txurrispo

Aug 24, 2023
Spain
Friends, I ordered a engine cover from a trusted supplier. At the consultation the manufacturer said that the problem of our protection is poor adhesion between the layers of plastic. My cover will be made of TOTAL GF-10 plastic, which has good adhesion between the layers and is strong enough for our purposes.
The main thing now is that the 3D model I found a few pages ago is correct. Hopefully in 2-3 weeks I will have a ready copy on my hands.
Please. Maintain us informed. Shows promising

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
How
How much did your initial order cost?

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
About 100USD. The manufacturer said that the price is minimal and they will not reduce it if the quantity increases. I ordered two engine protectors - for myself and my friend (he has already ordered the frame))))
Sounds like a fair price. 👊

Adilka

Jul 11, 2024
Almaty
Hi! I placed an order for a CEF50 frame on Alibaba (size L purple chameleon, 48V 700WH battery), waiting for shipment.

I have now cane creek DB kitsuma air shock from my Deviate Highlander (size 210*55)

Can I use it on CEF50 without modification? Or 55mm stroke will be too much?

I know, that stroke on DB can be reduced (Cane Creek Suspension Support - Cane Creek Cycling Components) by 5mm very easy

So what is better - use it as it is, or reduce to 210*50?

thanks!

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Hi! I placed an order for a CEF50 frame on Alibaba (size L purple chameleon, 48V 700WH battery), waiting for shipment.

I have now cane creek DB kitsuma air shock from my Deviate Highlander (size 210*55)

Can I use it on CEF50 without modification? Or 55mm stroke will be too much?

I know, that stroke on DB can be reduced (Cane Creek Suspension Support - Cane Creek Cycling Components) by 5mm very easy

So what is better - use it as it is, or reduce to 210*50?

thanks!
I've run a 55 stroke on a large frame since last year no problem. But like you said try it first and see how it fits for you. I luv it!👊

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Can you tell me where I can find the breakdown of the frame suspension travel to stroke? 50, 52,5 , 55?
Rough estimate: 150 mm OEM (210 x 50 shock) on a 50 mm stroke. 150 mm/50mm = 3 or 3:1 leverage ratio. Learned it from Mtbr.com a few years ago. Or just Google it.

Stroke: Functional travel:
-50 mm 150 mm
-52.5 mm 157.5 mm
-55 mm. 165 mm
-57 mm. 171 mm

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
That's why I'm aware about keeping 55mm stroke - maybe the wheel can hit the frame
Possibly. But remember that the seat stays have no crossbridge to contact. I run a 27.5x2.8 tire. It's 28.75"tall with great clearance from the seat tube. A 29er should also clear it. But if not, then just shorten the stroke or go 27.5 wheel and keep the overstroke. Experiment. The bigger travel is worth it. IMHO 👊

saffa

Oct 27, 2023
Cape town, South Africa
I'm also contemplating rather fitting a 210x55, if it's to close on the 29er wheel will look at swopping the rear wheel out, but going to give the 29er a go first. On another note, has anyone fitted a fox float X2 on the CEF50, are there any issues with the shock and frame touching?

Thanks again to all of you for your input into the CEF50, reading through this forum made me purchase this frame.

un..inc

Jun 13, 2023
Germany
I don't think the problem so far has been with the tyres on the frame, but with the joints in the rear triangle, which at some point are actuated further than they should be. At some point they could collide / rub against each other and break.
I think @TCFlowClyde had some minor problems with this?

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
That's why I'm aware about keeping 55mm stroke - maybe the wheel can hit the frame
No risks for contact between wheel and frame. BUT verify mechanical translation available for the swing arms/stays/bases at level of the axes.

May be SZZS have modified their frame ? but on mine 55 don't fit and i use 53 mm

Last edited:

un..inc

Jun 13, 2023
Germany
No risks for contact between wheel and frame. BUT verify mechanical translation available for the swing arms/stays/bases at level of the axes.

May be SZZS have modified their frame ? but on mine 55 don't fit and i use 53 mm
How did you verify that 55 did not fit? i think i have the newest frame and could test it...

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
How did you verify that 55 did not fit? i think i have the newest frame and could test it...
You mesure the length available between the rear shock axes (shock removed). With swing arm fully compresed (axes design provide mechanical limit), to verified if you have less than 155 mm available (210 - 55).

If you mesure exactely 155mm available, i recommand to use 53 (52.5), it's preferable to keep 2mm marging

un..inc

Jun 13, 2023
Germany
You mesure the length available between the rear shock axes (shock removed). With swing arm fully compresed (axes design provide mechanical limit), to verified if you have less than 155 mm available (210 - 55).

If you mesure exactely 155mm available, i recommand to use 53 (52.5), it's preferable to keep 2mm marging
I'll have to put some Volume Tokens inside my Damper anyways and therefore need to take it out. I'll try to measure this after your instructions. :)
Thank you! :)

Yozha

Sep 10, 2023
Kazakhstan

With the frame assembled without shock, the axle spacing is 148,5 mm. The 29` wheel does not touch the frame at this. Frame size M.

Am I correct in understanding that a 55mm stroke on a 210mm shock is acceptable?

Изображение WhatsApp 2024-07-17 в 13.35.01_33af0ad9.jpg Изображение WhatsApp 2024-07-17 в 13.35.01_a5774ded.jpg Изображение WhatsApp 2024-07-17 в 13.35.01_fae34c4a.jpg

Yozha

Sep 10, 2023
Kazakhstan
I've decided to keep 50 mm for now. In winter, I will think whether I need to increase the stroke. But overall, there is potential.
The only thing is the link needs to be filed (I peeled the paint off a bit)

Изображение WhatsApp 2024-07-17 в 13.54.07_555e2907.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles