• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
Quite the opposite with me. I installed Stunlocker and purchased a license. I then changed the wheel circumference, but only to the exact measured wheel circumference of my bike. I also changed the market to US. At that time there were quite a few Shimano E8000 motors suffering with torque sensor faults (WO13) and my bike ended up being one of them.

I just un-installed the app took my bike to the dealer who fitted a new motor without question. That was two years and 2,600 miles ago. I did have to buy a new license but it was worth it as it transforms the riding experience.

i have a second E8000 powered bike, also Stunlockered and set to the US market, which I have done well over 2000 trouble free miles on.

I quite fancy a new bike but not being overly IT competent it is not clear to me if I could change the market/speed on the EP8 so I will stick with my current bikes (a Focus and a Canyon ) for the time being.

You can change the region on EP with the desktop version of STUnlocker - you just need the Shimano PC link - SM-PCE1.

lwong214

Oct 20, 2021
Chicago
I downgraded FW to 4.3.2 and tested a Speed Limit. It's possible to set it up to 60km/h! Unfortunately, my 7000 display doesn't work with 4.3.2 FW

View attachment 13207

Also, it's possible to rise the Power Limit up to 600W, but I didn't test the bike yet, and don't know how it will affect on motor assistant.

Can the STUnlocker derestrict an e7000 to 60 km/h?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I can't see how you would do this within STunlocker? Unless you set the diameter of the rear wheel to something very small?
I did exactly that with my E7000. along with changing reigion it was derestricted to 51kmh/32mph
Same as my E8000
Wouldn't really want it derestricted to 60kmh - gearing wouldn't be ideal and holding 51km on the flat for sustained periods even with assistance isn't exactly an easy pedal. anything above 20mph and your effort is mainly against wind resistance.
On the two downhill sections of my daily road commute I'll usually reach over 40mph/65km whether I'm on my normal bike or Ebike. a motor isn't required at those sort of speeds downhill. Just sprint/pedal to mid 30s then tuck and you'll reach 40+ (mph) coasting.
Off road on actual mtb trails you'll never be pedalling above 35mph

Buy some lycra ;)

imax

Oct 21, 2021
New Zealand
Using New Zealand/USA settings will not void warranty and preserves the motor and battery. The average top speed on XC trails is 28kph. Hardly peddle to 32kph but definitely peddle more than 25kph in trail mode 70nm 120% assist. My knees are in top shape now after popping them a few years ago jumping in and out of 25kph assist.

Last edited:

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Using New Zealand/USA settings will not void warranty and will preserves the motor and battery. The average top speed on XC trails is 28kph. Hardly peddle to 32kph but definitely peddle more than 25kph in trail mode 70nm 120% assist. My knees are in top shape now after popping them a few years ago jumping in and out of 25kph assist.
As far as I was aware, just using 3rd party software on shimomo voids warranty let alone changing region.
Smashing teets btw.
ILuV BOOBIES...

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
Recently purchased a second hand Genius with E8000 that's been updated to 4.8.0. Do I need a pc to go back to a previous update or can STunlocker do this or can I change the bike to US with the 4.8.0 installed? I had the US setting on my previous E7000 & loved it. Now the new owner is loving it too 😢🤣

Last edited:

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Recently purchased a second hand Genius with E8000 that's been updated to 4.8.0. Do I need a pc to go back to a previous update or can STunlocker do this or can I change the bike to US with the 4.8.0 installed? I had the US setting on my previous E7000 & loved it. Now the new owner is loving it too 😢🤣
4.8.0 is 100% supported. You can derestrict a bike with 4.8.0 via Bluetooth

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
@vadII

Is there any option with ST to totally de-restrict the motor? Or to go back to being able to set max speeds for each mode as with 4.3.2.

Thanks for the App ;)

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
@vadII

Is there any option with ST to totally de-restrict the motor? Or to go back to being able to set max speeds for each mode as with 4.3.2.

Thanks for the App ;)
No. It requires a custom firmware, but nobody wants to use a custom firmware...

BrickMan

May 2, 2019
Antwerp
Quick question.
Bike (e6100 hybrid) came with approx 4.6 or 4.7 firmware. Ran it back down to an earlier version to use STu to correct ridiculous wheel circumference issue as it would only go around 20 kmh in real life! And of course I made use of being able to change the destination for a while. DU now has dreaded torque sensor failure after some 1500 km so needs to go for warranty.
I think I made a mistake, I put settings on STu back to original, then allowed etube to update all the way to newest firmware. Should I have ran it back to an old version again before letting etube update? As now there is a 'regulation change' log on the firmware, is there a way of getting rid of this, or has it been there since day 0 seen as this bike came with the new firmware 4.6/4.7. Bike new summer time 2021.
Making it clear its not the STu fault for the torque sensor, this is regular shimano bad quality issue, my friendly street shop has seen many of these this year.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
As now there is a 'regulation change' log on the firmware, is there a way of getting rid of this, or has it been there since day 0 seen as this bike came with the new firmware 4.6/4.7. Bike new summer time 2021.
There are no any logs in E6100/E7000/E8000/E5000. Change settings back to default (region, circumference, assist settings - all that you changed), upgrade the FW to the latest using ETube (with disabled Internet connection), after that check settings in ETube and send your bike to a dealer

WogsRus

Sep 13, 2021
Tasmania, Hobart
Quick question.
Bike (e6100 hybrid) came with approx 4.6 or 4.7 firmware. Ran it back down to an earlier version to use STu to correct ridiculous wheel circumference issue as it would only go around 20 kmh in real life! And of course I made use of being able to change the destination for a while. DU now has dreaded torque sensor failure after some 1500 km so needs to go for warranty.
I think I made a mistake, I put settings on STu back to original, then allowed etube to update all the way to newest firmware. Should I have ran it back to an old version again before letting etube update? As now there is a 'regulation change' log on the firmware, is there a way of getting rid of this, or has it been there since day 0 seen as this bike came with the new firmware 4.6/4.7. Bike new summer time 2021.
Making it clear its not the STu fault for the torque sensor, this is regular shimano bad quality issue, my friendly street shop has seen many of these this year.

Have and go the same issue. I think mine happened when Shimano ETube crashed and did a full install reset and it has a regulation check also.

It appears the ep8 is more sophisticated and does log information, even if people can't see it, it does.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
It appears the ep8 is more sophisticated and does log information, even if people can't see it, it does.
1. There are no any proofs of that
2. Bluetooth device can't see which App connected with it

WogsRus

Sep 13, 2021
Tasmania, Hobart
1. There are no any proofs of that
2. Bluetooth device can't see which App connected with it

I'm not questioning your ability to come up with an app, however, somehow Shimano see what is being connected to the ep8 motor and logs it.

I have not been able to get the log data but now for a second time, I have seen this live in the store with the technician logging in remotely, via the PC interface, Runing a software pack, and hay presto.....

So let's move on and just note that somehow, it is being logged.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles