• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
New 1.20 version is available. Suitable for EP801 with the latest 4.3.0 firmware which Overrun and Cutoff settings introduced. Unlike the Windows version of ETube Professional, where you can only set Overrun for the entire profile (for all modes), in STUnlocker there is an option to set Overrun for each mode, as well as a Cutoff:
1723395141757.png

Bowsers

Aug 13, 2024
UK
Hi @vadII, you’re website says

* EP801, EP6 motors are not supported for the derestriction.

Is this still true for your new version 1.20? I’d like to change the Destination Market on my EP801 from EU to US. Is this possible with STUnlocker Premium?

Thanks,
Bowsers🐢

webman

Apr 13, 2022
Sydney

Is this still true for your new version 1.20? I’d like to change the Destination Market on my EP801 from EU to US. Is this possible with STUnlocker Premium?

Thanks,
Bowsers🐢
Can't be done on the EP801. The US motors are different. Not physically or by specs but they're hard coded. Not sure if it's just serial.

Backflip

Nov 6, 2023
Austria

Thanks,
Bowsers🐢
You can use the EMAX TUNING to speed up your EP801 / EP6 - I´ve done that too long time ago and it works great - works also with the new motor firmware 4.3.0.

nrgbod

Mar 11, 2022
Middlesbrough
I've been running my EP8 rs with region changed from EU to US and 85Nm/ 500W for past 18 months and it's been working great. I originally use android STunlocker pro with 4.0.2 firmware to do the changes then put it back to V4.1.8.

Last week I reverted firmware to v4.0.2 and changed tyre circumference to 1429mm then upgraded firmware to v4.1.10
On the first ride the bike performed very well with the increased speed limit but it shut itself down about 5 times.
On the 5th shutdown the bike bike refused to switch back on.

I stripped the bike and checked for loose connections/ broken wires but everything checked out fine. I tried to revert the settings with STunlocker but as the bike will no longer power on and the screen is totally blank there is no bluetooth connection for STunlocker to connect to.

I then ordered a PCE02 connector and that connects with shimano Etube windows program and it says error E03500 Abnormality was detected in vehicle settings. Symptoms: unable to use the assist function.
I then connected directly to the motor with PCE02 and rolled back the firmware to v4.0.2 but couldn't find a way of returning the settings to default. I then tried V4.1.8 firmware but no difference. I tried to connect STunlocker windows version but it won't connect without the motor powered on.

Has anyone got any ideas how to fix this or is my motor bricked?

What about a settings backup from somebody else's etube windows program, would that load onto my motor or are the backups specific to individual motors?

Screenshot (186).png Screenshot (179)_1.jpg

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Change settings back to default (to EU region and 2300mm circumference) using STUnlocker for Windows and PCE Interface. If you still have 4.0.2 in your motor - you can use STUnlocker App for that (via Bluetooth). EP8 RS does not work on 4.0.2, this fimware version requires for the derestriction via Bluetooth only. After the derestriction you have to upgrade firmware back to the actual version (according downgrade instructions)

nrgbod

Mar 11, 2022
Middlesbrough
Change settings back to default (to EU region and 2300mm circumference) using STUnlocker for Windows and PCE Interface. If you still have 4.0.2 in your motor - you can use STUnlocker App for that (via Bluetooth). EP8 RS does not work on 4.0.2, this fimware version requires for the derestriction via Bluetooth only. After the derestriction you have to upgrade firmware back to the actual version (according downgrade instructions)
Thanks for replying Vadll,
I can't get STUnlocker to run without the motor powered on. At the moment the screen is black and the power will not switch on.
Etube project will switch on the display and run with its own power via usb but I can't change the EU region and circumference with that program.
It seems as though V4.1.10 has detected the circumference change and locked the assistance out.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
It seems as though V4.1.10 has detected the circumference change and locked the assistance out.
There are no any "locks" in EP8 available. Power ON your motor first - fix this issue somehow. It's not normal that you can't power ON your bike.

Backflip

Nov 6, 2023
Austria
Thanks for replying Vadll,
I can't get STUnlocker to run without the motor powered on. At the moment the screen is black and the power will not switch on.
Etube project will switch on the display and run with its own power via usb but I can't change the EU region and circumference with that program.
I think the guys from EMAX can help you in such situations and reset your bike to a "proper state" also if you cannot power on your bike currently...
I had a similar situation some time ago.

nrgbod

Mar 11, 2022
Middlesbrough
Ok, thanks.
I'll have another check of the battery pack although it is at 95% charged at present so shouldn't be a problem.The cables, harness and switch all checked out fine on the bench with the meter.
There are no any "locks" in EP8 available. Power ON your motor first - fix this issue somehow. It's not normal that you can't power ON your bike.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Ok, thanks.
I'll have another check of the battery pack although it is at 95% charged at present so shouldn't be a problem.The cables, harness and switch all checked out fine on the bench with the meter.
What the firmware version do you have right now? If you have 4.0.2 - upgrade firmware using ETube Profession to the actual version! Then change setting using STUnlocker

nrgbod

Mar 11, 2022
Middlesbrough
When the motor 1st refused to power on it was on 4.1.10
I then reverted it to 4.0.2 with etube project thinking it would make a difference but it didn't.
I then reloaded 4.1.8 , which was running previously without problems, but it still wouldn't power on.
It's currently still on v4.1.8

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
When the motor 1st refused to power on it was on 4.1.10
I then reverted it to 4.0.2 with etube project thinking it would make a difference but it didn't.
I then reloaded 4.1.8 , which was running previously without problems, but it still wouldn't power on.
It's currently still on v4.1.8
It looks like you have some electrical issues with the power button. I never ever heard about such issues before...

nrgbod

Mar 11, 2022
Middlesbrough
It looks like you have some electrical issues with the power button. I never ever heard about such issues before...
Thanks,
I will see if my local dealer will fault find on the electrical system for me without grassing me up to Shimano.
They should be able to swap out parts to confirm what's wrong.

Backflip

Nov 6, 2023
Austria
Thanks,
I will see if my local dealer will fault find on the electrical system for me without grassing me up to Shimano.
They should be able to swap out parts to confirm what's wrong.
I think this might be a quite risky job and chances are high that your dealer will grass you up to Shimano and then your warranty is gone. So I would let reset the bike back to non modified settings before going to the dealer or bike shop, at least I have done so at that time.

nrgbod

Mar 11, 2022
Middlesbrough
I think the guys from EMAX can help you in such situations and reset your bike to a "proper state" also if you cannot power on your bike currently...
I had a similar situation some time ago.
I might ask them as a last resort but don't hold out much hope they'd be willing to help even if they could.
I found an article on reverse engineering etube project pro v3.4.5 to alter destination and circumference however that version doesn't recognise ep8. I'm going try and get the instructions to work on a later version of etube project but I'm wary of making matters worse.

Backflip

Nov 6, 2023
Austria
I might ask them as a last resort but don't hold out much hope they'd be willing to help even if they could.
I found an article on reverse engineering etube project pro v3.4.5 to alter destination and circumference however that version doesn't recognise ep8. I'm going try and get the instructions to work on a later version of etube project but I'm wary of making matters worse.
I assume the guys from EMAX are able and wiling to help you, however, they most probably won´t do it free of charge...
But also most probably this scenario would be much cheaper and more relaxing than getting banned by Shimano and void warranty on your bike forever and the also not being able to get any more service or parts (like e.g. a new drive units, or cables and connectors between the motor and the battery if it may be necessary) from your dealer or bike shop for this bike (this is how Shimano handles bikes and their owners once they are recognized as "unauthorized modified" in their system)...

Last edited:

webman

Apr 13, 2022
Sydney
I've been running my EP8 rs with region changed from EU to US and 85Nm/ 500W for past 18 months and it's been working great. I originally use android STunlocker pro with 4.0.2 firmware to do the changes then put it back to V4.1.8.

Last week I reverted firmware to v4.0.2 and changed tyre circumference to 1429mm then upgraded firmware to v4.1.10
On the first ride the bike performed very well with the increased speed limit but it shut itself down about 5 times.
On the 5th shutdown the bike bike refused to switch back on.

I stripped the bike and checked for loose connections/ broken wires but everything checked out fine. I tried to revert the settings with STunlocker but as the bike will no longer power on and the screen is totally blank there is no bluetooth connection for STunlocker to connect to.

I then ordered a PCE02 connector and that connects with shimano Etube windows program and it says error E03500 Abnormality was detected in vehicle settings. Symptoms: unable to use the assist function.
I then connected directly to the motor with PCE02 and rolled back the firmware to v4.0.2 but couldn't find a way of returning the settings to default. I then tried V4.1.8 firmware but no difference. I tried to connect STunlocker windows version but it won't connect without the motor powered on.

Has anyone got any ideas how to fix this or is my motor bricked?

What about a settings backup from somebody else's etube windows program, would that load onto my motor or are the backups specific to individual motors?

View attachment 146760 View attachment 146761
What did you set your support, power, assist etc to? Maybe post a list. That’s what it’s complaining about, not destination or circumference. Also, has the new circumference and destination been written to the regulation log? AFAIK, STUnlocker does NOT write to that log and you should get warnings for those as well.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I'm still don't understand why can't you use STUnlocker for Windows to change the settings back to default?...

You can use ETube Professional to turn ON the bike by connecting to it. After that, you can click "Disconnect" in the ETube software and your bike should stay ON. Now you can connect STUnlocker for Windows and change the settings.

Added: the new version of STUnlocker for Windows is available. It no longer requires a bike to be switched ON. You can use the same link to download the new 2.6 version

Last edited:

nrgbod

Mar 11, 2022
Middlesbrough
Added: the new version of STUnlocker for Windows is available. It no longer requires a bike to be switched ON. You can use the same link to download the new 2.6 version
Thanks Vadll,
I installed V2.6 and it did allow me to change all the settings back to factory without powering on the bike.
The regulation log is now clear.
It still wont turn on so it must be an electrical/ mechanical fault.

Screenshot (198).jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles