Levo Gen 3 Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

johnscioscia

Sep 14, 2020
Tampa
So at my local Spesh Bike shop one of the mechanics said that the Top Spesh rep that calls on them said to him that the new TCU will NOT be available to retro fit and in fact cannott be retro fitted into the ealier models of the turbo levo's. I told him my research said it CAN be retro fitted into an earlier model. What do you say turbo levo community? And I wonder if Spesh told the rep to dance around the question so as not to kill demand for the new 2022?? Can it work? AND if yes, how long will we have to wait? Thanks

Specfan

Apr 11, 2021
Toronto, Canada
Everyone hope you’re having a good day so far. I’m trying to do the impossible, trying to justify a 2022 Levo Pro purchase!

I was drooling over that Ferrari F1 matte red blinged out pro posted in this forum, what a bike! I need to ask him how he does the crazy colouring what type of plating is that?

i’ve got a 2020 Turbo Levo in large, that I love but something about the 2022 (obviously!) I just want.

Here’s my bike (just added ? 36)
048731E2-9303-45B0-B70D-EE228D8607EF.jpeg

here’s what I’m looking at, it’s still in the box:

Sorry not much of a picture but you get the idea!

1B517686-CC42-4669-86F5-7263E3DE3F35.jpeg

I’m spending way too much time of sussing over this maybe I should just pull the trigger!

Specfan

Apr 11, 2021
Toronto, Canada
Sounds delicious! It’s funny I hated maroon as a kid but now I’m down with it. That’s probably more the (way more) sensible buy than the pro! The Pro is C$14999. I wonder what the Expert will be? Dpx2 vs X2 shock Evo grip vs grip 2 fork etc. Those kashima coatings on the Pro are nice though !

Jersey Skier

May 12, 2019
NJ, USA
Anybody try a coil rear shock on a 22 Levo? I know it made a huge difference when I installed an Ohlins on my 18 Expert. I have a new Pro arriving this week.

1983RH

Apr 5, 2021
Santa Rosa
I’ve got close to 200 miles on my Gen 3 S-Works and have had no issues except occasionally after charging it says “no battery” and I have to push a bit harder on the battery plug/charger cover and all is good. There are multiple seal to keep water out and my guess is it just takes good firm pressure when reconnecting the plug. On another note the AXS rear mech got eaten by a stick and broke the outer carbon cage and bent the hanger pretty good. OUCH! I converted the bike to single speed thanks to the extra link in the SWAT steerer tube holder. Saved me from a long coast/walk home.

6D1CD613-4DC3-4685-AE76-F9B5A216411D.jpeg

CF24C636-6722-4B13-8425-B10E2BBC1EA6.jpeg

Ride4Life

May 3, 2021
Canada
So I just picked up my 2022 Specialized Levo Pro on Saturday. Wow, what a machine! Real confidence inspiring!!! I now love going up, almost as much as going down. The bike has great handling and helps you do things you didn't think you were capable of doing. I really like the bike. But unfortunately, after using it for jus 20km, an annoying squeaking noise is now coming from the motor area. Sounds like the rubber belt is rubbing or needs to be tensioned. Really takes away from the discrete e-bike experience i was expecting. Not to mention it's embarrassing paying this much for a bike that squeaks like this. Also my swat tool does not pop up. Other than that, this bike is awesome. But at this price point, these two issues are disappointing to say the least. Really hope the bike shop i purchased from, together with Specialized support, can fix the issues so i can get back to enjoying the ride. Anyone else have the same issue or incite on how to fix it?

Last edited:

Specfan

Apr 11, 2021
Toronto, Canada
What an amazing bike congratulations, I love that machine! You’re probably right it’s only a rubbing belt. I’m sure your dealer will be able to adjust and get rid of that noise for you. It’s a brand new motor with newly designed belt I believe, it probably just needs an adjustment. Please keep us posted on how you make out and all the best with it.

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
Just switched my Santa Cruz Bullit order for a Gen3 S-Works Turbo Levo. Bullit was supposed to arrive in July, but Levo not until late fall/early winter. Huge bummer in that respect. All my friends are on Gen2 Levos and I am riding a mulleted Heckler. Last weekend was kind of the last straw as I was once again chasing them up technical climbs and carrying an extra battery. Seems like the Brose is still one of the best for power and range with the 700wh battery. What I have read about the Shimano EP8 did not make me super happy in terms of it's power and range with the 630wh battery. I will probably slack out the geometry on the new Levo. Guess it will be the Heckler for this summer but I think the Levo will be worth the wait. Also the longer wait will give me time to save more money and think about selling a kidney:)

Truckeemtb

Jun 16, 2019
Tahoe California
My buddy is still waiting on Bullit he ordered and paid for in November.

Specialized occasionally releases bikes on their website for ordering even though the dealers are getting them very slowly. I ordered an S3 Pro and it shipped yesterday.

My kidney sale is going well, market is up for them right now but not as up as bike prices!

I did ride a friend's Gen3 S-works last week and a brief spin yesterday. It's pretty amazing. However my tiny hands can't reach the AXS controls/ paddle. I know there are some work arounds but went Pro anyway. I have AXS on another bike and it's pretty sweet but more advantages to me in pedal bike where fastest shifting helps and being able to shift under a little load is nice.

Anyway I am selling my Gen2 Expert which I really enjoyed. Over 3,500 kilometers and still rides perfectly. I think the Gen 3 is an upgrade for hard chargers on technical terrain but for those newer in the sport or don't live near the GNAR the Gen2 might be a better fit.

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
My buddy is still waiting on Bullit he ordered and paid for in November.

Specialized occasionally releases bikes on their website for ordering even though the dealers are getting them very slowly. I ordered an S3 Pro and it shipped yesterday.

My kidney sale is going well, market is up for them right now but not as up as bike prices!

I did ride a friend's Gen3 S-works last week and a brief spin yesterday. It's pretty amazing. However my tiny hands can't reach the AXS controls/ paddle. I know there are some work arounds but went Pro anyway. I have AXS on another bike and it's pretty sweet but more advantages to me in pedal bike where fastest shifting helps and being able to shift under a little load is nice.

Anyway I am selling my Gen2 Expert which I really enjoyed. Over 3,500 kilometers and still rides perfectly. I think the Gen 3 is an upgrade for hard chargers on technical terrain but for those newer in the sport or don't live near the GNAR the Gen2 might be a better fit.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I have been lurking on the Specialized website and holy crap they had a white S5 available, so I jumped on that. Having it sent to my local shop. Hope to see it in a couple of weeks. Sure beats late fall/winter!

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I have been lurking on the Specialized website and holy crap they had a white S5 available, so I jumped on that. Having it sent to my local shop. Hope to see it in a couple of weeks. Sure beats late fall/winter!
Thanks for the heads up
I just ordered an S4 in the white color I wanted
So now I’ll probably return the black/blue

Truckeemtb

Jun 16, 2019
Tahoe California
He didn’t say it was still capable he said it was better, I am trying to understand in what way the gen 2 is better.

OK, you are right I don't have enough ride time on Gen3 to make the above statement with absolute certainty. I could change my mind after I get my Gen3. My initial impressions are based on very limited Gen3 ride time. It feels like a different bike, not necessary a pure continuation of the Gen2, they could probably keep the Gen2 in the lineup and that would suit a high percent of the population. Sure there are new features that are "upgrades" like the TCU. Once I found Gen2 settings to my liking with Mission Control I pretty much haven't touched it in the last few thousand miles.

Based on published numbers (not always correct), suspension (beefy) and my long term experience with both mtn bikes and dirt bikes I am making some general statements. Everyone is different and its good to have options. I have had a lot of bikes including, Santa Cruz, Yeti, Ibis, Pivot, Specialized and others. I have also had a lots of dirt bikes, KTM, Husky, Honda, Suzuki. I prefer a 300 2 stroke with a softer suspension for technical riding over the 350 or 450 4 stroke. However if I was doing an adventure or more touring the 4 stroke would be better.

In short the Gen2 feels like it sits in travel more, feels more plush and soft, is marginally lighter, isn't as stiff (mostly due to suspension), isn't as slack and is, obviously, is a 29er not a mullet. It also has less options with geo and suspension. So it might be more comfortable on long epics due to the above and shorter reach. If the riding isn't particularly steep, rocky or technical or the rider isn't super aggressive and experienced the benefits of Gen3 might not be needed or even a true benefit. Cross country and more flow trails I might prefer the Gen2. Then there is the price difference as well. It might be an upgrade in some areas but might not justify 60% more cost.

Stiffer, longer, slacker and more aggressive isn't always better, it really depends on rider and trails. If you were driving mostly on the highway or commuting an SUV would probably suit more drivers than say a Porsche GT3 RS. Similarly a cross country rider will likely never run a 38 fork with a 64 degree head angle. So the new bike might be overkill for many trails and riders. Most riders will not take the time to fully mess with suspension and geo. I can't tell you how many times I see riders using about half of their suspension travel. That means you may not need a 38 fork, a DH piggback shock and/or it's probably not adjusted correctly. Many don't know how to properly set sag let alone deal with HSC, LSC, HSR and LSR. Most don't mess with volume spacers or need super progressive suspension. So maybe it's more about knowing what kind of rider you are and getting the best tool for the job. I am getting the Pro and should have it this week but I can't say for sure the Gen3 is "better" for everyone, myself included. My wife will still have her Expert and I will be able to swap. I only weigh 140 lbs so the Fox 38 is probably overkill. The mullet feels like turn in is better especially on slower tighter terrain. The Gen3 feels more stable at high speed. It also seems to stay higher up in the travel that might not be as comfy on a 5 hours ride. There are trails near me where a Gen2 may be better and others where a Gen3 better.

Pick you poison, decide on your budget and keep in mind what kind of rider and terrain you will be on. One bike doesn't fit everyone. I know this post is too long. I am trying to justify my purchase to myself and my wife. I also know I can ride everything near me in Tahoe and most trails in California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Utah and Colorado and be happy on a Gen2. So do I need the Gen3, for sure no. Am I super excited for it, for sure yes. Is it the right choice for me, to be determined!

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
I've been riding a Santa Cruz Heckler for the last year. My skill level is senior citizen adequate:) My Heckler is a large and I am 6'2" 193 lbs. I felt the bike was a bit small. The Heckler is great on tight stuff and in general handles pretty well. Where I did not like it was super steep rooty downhills where the 27 front was scary at times. Going to a 29 front helped a huge amount, but made steep tech climbs worse as the front was lifted a bit with the 29 and more prone to wheelies. Also the E8000 motor was both underpowered compared to the Brose motor, but at the same time more abrupt so easier to lose traction. My other bike is a Santa Cruz Megatower which is a full 29er and size XL. Looking over the specs last night I was surprised that the Gen 3 S5 Turbo Levo has a longer wheelbase than the Megatower. That was a surprise, but will work well for me. I am very much hoping that the Levo will be much better on the climbs with a smoother more powerful motor and less tendency to wheelie.

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
It’s a “need” not a “want”
LOL. I'm paying way more for this S-Works than I paid for my Husqvarna FE501 dual sport motorcycle, and that bike is considered high end. Probably the first and last time I ever get an S-Works. Plan on keeping this bike very long term, at least until a bike with solid state batteries and regenerative braking shows up. Problem is I am 64 so it's a race between tempting new tech and advancing decrepitude:)

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
LOL. I'm paying way more for this S-Works than I paid for my Husqvarna FE501 dual sport motorcycle, and that bike is considered high end. Probably the first and last time I ever get an S-Works. Plan on keeping this bike very long term, at least until a bike with solid state batteries and regenerative braking shows up. Problem is I am 64 so it's a race between tempting new tech and advancing decrepitude:)
I sold my Ducati 1098 to buy my first mountain bike in 2012 lol. Never have been back on a motorcycle since.

1 gen3 levo is double the price of the most expensive bike I ever bought, a 2020 Sworks Enduro. The good thing is these bikes hold good value years later if kept in good condition. Luckily i made a little profit when i sold it earlier this year.

btw, I also had a husky sm610. Great bikes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles