Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

Krisvanlog

Sep 1, 2020
France
It would explain Specialized's "relaxed" response...

I'll bet it isn't missing. I'll bet it's no longer part of the alloy bike's specification.

In any event, it looks standard. This is a product shot from Chain Reaction in NZ:

DSC08239_1600x1600.jpg

Does seem to be standard. I'm going to get a little black grub screw to put in it haha. Would be nice if specialized filled the hole if they had an afterthought and decided not to use it.

Norcalsl

Jul 12, 2020
Northern California
2021 Levo SL

just realized that the specialized website displays new 2021 Levo SL S Works & Levo SL Expert Carbon. (both bikes feature stock FOX 36 forks and upgraded brakes, same with new 2021 FF Levos appearing)

nevertheless a new 2021 Levo SL Comp Carbon won´t show up yet...

should we expect a new 2021 Levo SL Comp Carbon upcoming in the next days?

Do you think it will feature an upgraded Fox 36" fork?
I bought a SL Comp Carbon a couple of weeks ago from my LBS. It was labeled as a 2021 model on the shipping box from Spesh. The only change was a brake upgrade to Guide REs. Still has the Fox Rhythm 34 fork (which is fine for the riding I do) and everything else is the same as the 2020 model. I ended up upgrading most of the OEM components before it left the shop.

Last edited:

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Does seem to be standard. I'm going to get a little black grub screw to put in it haha. Would be nice if specialized filled the hole if they had an afterthought and decided not to use it.
Its not an after thought, there should be a grub screw in there to stop the internal nylon sleeving dropping into the frame (it just pinches the end of the tubes) it could be that yours is too far in the hole to see easily. This is how mine is, but it still doesnt alter the fact that the frame looks unfinished!!!

Ricky1979

Feb 23, 2020
UK
That's the "drive side" port, Ricky - my own bike has a cover on the drive side port - the non-drive side is different.

As I've pointed out, and as p3eps suggests, they're apparently coming out of the factory like this:

DSC08239_1600x1600.jpg
Yeah the photo was of the drive side, was just pointing out what the cable guide is and aye they are coming out the factory with out a cable guide on the non drive, in my option can’t see why they have done this as it looks unfinished, I was just pointing out that the cable guide is not there but the screw should be.

crazymelki

Feb 25, 2020
Switzerland
A short 1km ride connnected with the new Sensor ID's was giving me wrong information about the E-bike Battery Level and E-bike Assist Mode with the Ebike Filed App. Yes I changed before the test riede the ID's also in the app. ;) I had the right information on the Garmin display during the ride. The battery was not full charged (around 80%) and I was shifting between, Eco, Trail and Boost cupple times.
I did a config mistake yesterday. The Ebike Sensor must be disabled on the Garmin Edge, otherwise you will not get the information with the Ebike Filed app.

1599149259267.png

Seems there did only change the Sensor ID for me....with the update.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Hired an SL at Glentress today to try out (currently only have analogue bike). That was a mistake - absolute weapon even with the sub-standard fork.

Just out of interest is everyone paying RRP for bikes or are dealers doing any discounts? Presume not at the moment with shortage of bikes?
Freeborn offer 15% just like that. No haggle

sniffy

Feb 26, 2019
Warrington
Sorry folk, I'm sure this has been done to death but SL Carbon comp here, front chainring is too small as you know, what are the UK options for say 34/36T, any issue found I should watch for ??

AaronMc

Aug 12, 2020
UK
Who was that with if you don't mind me asking?
Freeborn Cycles in Horsham. Amazing service all round from them, and even aftercare since purchasing regarding my front brake feeling poor, they are sending me out pads and rotor cleaner to try! Cannot fault that for service.. Free 1st service and firmware update too. Joe and Sam have both been great!

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Sorry folk, I'm sure this has been done to death but SL Carbon comp here, front chainring is too small as you know, what are the UK options for say 34/36T, any issue found I should watch for ??

I have a WolfTooth 34 on my aluminum Comp, fits and works ok with the chainguide. Another poster says his same ring hits the chainstay, we don't know why.

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
I'm thinking about upgrading the Guide RE brakes on my 2021 Levo SL to G2 Ultimates. Anyone using these? Opinions?

I put Guide Ultimates (the earlier version) on my SL. I really like them. They are very progressive and smooth, and not “sudden”. You can modulate your braking power very precisely. The variable contact adjustment is nice.

I have Shimano XT brakes on my normally aspirated Yeti. By comparison, the Shimanos have more sudden “bite”. I used to like this bite - it feels efficient and immediate. But having experienced the Ultimates, I now much prefer their more progressive feel. It’s possible you could perceive this progressiveness as “squidgy” or “sort” but that’s far from the case. There’s loads of power there and you can control it really easily.

I did find it took a little while for the new pads to bed into the discs so initially the brakes didn’t feel as potent as I thought they would be, but now they are just awesome.

So, a positive vote from me.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I'm thinking about upgrading the Guide RE brakes on my 2021 Levo SL to G2 Ultimates. Anyone using these? Opinions?

I had G2 RSC’s, which I believe are the same brakes but without as much adjustability or carbon levers.
I found them dreadful - and swapped them out after a few rides for Magura MT7s.
It seems in 2021, Specialized think the same - as they’ve swapped the S-Works G2 Ultimates for MT7’s too!

Lacking power, faded really quickly, and squeal like hell when damp / wet. Maybe new pads would have made them better - but I couldn’t wait to get rid of them.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
i have those and they have been reliable unlike avid/sram from a few years ago. Setup was easy unlike maguras which can be a nightmare.The contact point adjust works well unlike the shimanos on my other bike. Power is good enough with 200 mm rotors.Have you tried kevlar or similar pads? Because they help a bunch

hbakken

Nov 27, 2018
Norway
Hi, can anyone help me finding a technical specification which details out all the bearings dimension on the SL?

Or, can anyone confirm that they are the same as one the Turbo Levo?

Norcalsl

Jul 12, 2020
Northern California
i have those and they have been reliable unlike avid/sram from a few years ago. Setup was easy unlike maguras which can be a nightmare.The contact point adjust works well unlike the shimanos on my other bike. Power is good enough with 200 mm rotors.Have you tried kevlar or similar pads? Because they help a bunch
Yes, I have set of unused Gorilla Kevlar pads which I plan on using if I get the Ultimates.

Norcalsl

Jul 12, 2020
Northern California
I had G2 RSC’s, which I believe are the same brakes but without as much adjustability or carbon levers.
I found them dreadful - and swapped them out after a few rides for Magura MT7s.
It seems in 2021, Specialized think the same - as they’ve swapped the S-Works G2 Ultimates for MT7’s too!

Lacking power, faded really quickly, and squeal like hell when damp / wet. Maybe new pads would have made them better - but I couldn’t wait to get rid of them.
What type of riding are you doing? I am basically on cross-country type trails and don't do any hard-core downhill stuff. Also, my SL only weighs 35 lbs. and I'm 158 lbs.

onkelshort

Aug 26, 2020
Germany
Yes, it will work fine. You will have to adjust air pressure for your weight and riding style. You can add tokens if you need more progressive damping.
Hi, you have to be careful here with the tune of the damper. In terms of size there's no problem. You will get additional travel and no collision will happen with 55mm stroke.
But if you have the wrong tune then the bike will not be working as it should. Send the tune id to fox and ask if it fits.
The standard tune of levo stumpjumper and levo sl is Rx tune, that's not done for aftermarket damper of fox.
I got one myself from a stumpi and it works perfect. I removed the spacer and got 55mm stroke instead of 50, which makes 160mm travel and works nicely.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Hi, you have to be careful here with the tune of the damper. In terms of size there's no problem. You will get additional travel and no collision will happen with 55mm stroke.
But if you have the wrong tune then the bike will not be working as it should. Send the tune id to fox and ask if it fits.
The standard tune of levo stumpjumper and levo sl is Rx tune, that's not done for aftermarket damper of fox.
I got one myself from a stumpi and it works perfect. I removed the spacer and got 55mm stroke instead of 50, which makes 160mm travel and works nicely.
The stock dps has a digressive tune , which was supposedly done to help with pedaling. The stock Levo (full fat) dps has a different tune.

personally, I think the character of this the bike does well without that sock tune. I went coil

SL-ED

Jun 14, 2020
Bay Area
I don't feel much or if any difference at all between Trail or Turbo mode. I have not changed any settings at all Trail still at 70/70 and Turbo at 100/100. Do you guys feel any difference?

55plusmxinsanity

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 18, 2019
Apple Valley, California
I don't feel much or if any difference at all between Trail or Turbo mode. I have not changed any settings at all Trail still at 70/70 and Turbo at 100/100. Do you guys feel any difference?
Once you’re spinning there is not much difference, it’s a small motor with 25ft lb of torque ( vs the standard Levo with 70 ft lb of torque. What you can feel on take off and from slow to high cadence is a bit of acceleration difference.
I just run a universal setting ( 15/100 or 25/100)in all three modes and the acceleration is noticeable.

bguevarra064

Aug 11, 2020
Los Angeles

I do feel a slight difference between Trail and Turbo mode on my SL. I’m running factory tune settings on MC.

Just double checked and my stock factory settings are 35/35 60/60 and 100/100.
Yours is 70/70? Maybe that’s why?

I personally like the factory settings. I’ve got about 100 miles on my SL and the tune has been good for my trails in terms of power delivery and battery consumption.

SL-ED

Jun 14, 2020
Bay Area
Once you’re spinning there is not much difference, it’s a small motor with 25ft lb of torque ( vs the standard Levo with 70 ft lb of torque. What you can feel on take off and from slow to high cadence is a bit of acceleration difference.
I just run a universal setting ( 15/100 or 25/100)in all three modes and the acceleration is noticeable.

Thanks for confirming.. Yeah since I don't feel much difference I just keep it in trail to save battery..

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL

I feel a BIG difference in the acceleration from Trail to Turbo. Also in Turbo it is difficult to keep the motor engaged unless I am close to the assist MPH limit. I run 35/45, 65/65, 100/100.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Anyone know what gets updated in the motor. I would love 55nm just from an update like Fazua.

View attachment 39809
I had mine updated to 42.6.1c just a couple weeks ago, didn't notice any difference, wrote to Specialized, they said they didn't know what the update does (hey, that's two of us but they are *supposed to* know). I doubt I will take mine in for the latest update until I know what it does.

Housenotes

Aug 20, 2020
Missouri
Let's start a thread on SL Mission Control settings for ECO, TRAIL, & TURBO. Give your settings, typical type of trail you ride, & what you've noticed using your settings, so others can benefit from each others experience. P.S. New Turbo Levo SL Comp Carbon rider as of Yesterday!
1B79FFB7-1D9C-47F8-9DD8-32E559E59AF2_1_201_a.jpeg

Reactions: CjP

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles