Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Thats a lot of pressure. I’m at 20 rear 18 front. I am running cushcore. But even if I wasn’t I’d be at 22 rear 20 front

I’m running Michelin Wild Enduro’s 29x2.4 and am running 18psi front, and 20psi rear.
TBH, I think the Enduro 2.4’s are narrower than the Spesh 2.3 tyres.

Great Cornholio

Jun 27, 2020
telford
I'm considering swapping the guide r brakes for a pair of m7000 slx, I prefer the maintance / bleeding and longevity of Shimano, question is their much power loss going from 4 pot callipers on the guide R vs the twin pots on the slx?

i'm 80kg and not a super rad rider so they shouldn't have a hard time.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
I'm considering swapping the guide r brakes for a pair of m7000 slx, I prefer the maintance / bleeding and longevity of Shimano, question is their much power loss going from 4 pot callipers on the guide R vs the twin pots on the slx?

I agree with you about preferring Shimano brakes over the Guides. I’m only a few kilos lighter than you and am happy with SLX 7000 brakes and 180 rotors. You might consider the new 4-pot SLX 7100 series reviewed by enduro-mtb:

“In good-old Shimano fashion, the latest generation of XT and SLX brakes delivers a well defined, sharp bite and at no point in this test did we notice the wandering bite-point typical of older XT versions. Even with small-ish 180 mm rotors, the four-pot SLX provides good and consistent deceleration. Hard braking manoeuvres? Hell yeah! Even in wet and slippery conditions the brakes provide superb modulation.”

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
Thanks for the reply, yeah i got both end caps but the freehub will not come off with moderate force, around the freebhub looks like a captive ring with 4 post holes so maybe this need unscrewing first?
Weird but mine comes off really easy after removing end cap. I wonder if I’ve got something missing from new.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
First ride on my own SL tonight and I bloody loved it. The shop changed the brakes to Code RSC’s for me with 200mm Ice Tech rotors both ends - and very nicely they worked too. I changed the grips but otherwise everything else was stock on the Comp Carbon... and, it all worked really well! I had big plans to change the suspension, dropper and drivetrain but I’m not sure I’ll bother now.
I got dropped a bit by my 80Nm toting riding buddies on the steep stuff but everywhere else was fair game. It’s a lot more playful to ride than my Trance.

E9F0400B-8C0B-4609-8A95-43CB97B9D39B.jpeg

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
I saw my first ever other Levo SL in the wild yesterday. Levo SL Comp alu, I think, in red. As I was cycling from Devizes up to the Wessex Way ridgeway.

Was it anyone on here?

Also got a slightly grumpy looking nod from Neil Donoghue later in the day, as he checked out my bike.

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Just before lock down I got my Levo SL Expert and a pair of range extenders (RE). I thought, if I am paying that much for a bike, I want something close to the battery capacity I would have got with a new Bosch bike. At one point I was thinking of getting an Orbea with 625wh in the frame and also slap my cargo bike's 400wh on the external mount. So, yeah, I have range anxiety and 640wh felt like the minimum I would be happy with for the SL.

And I also enjoy an epic day in the saddle, so batteries are a bit of a thing for me.

I have been amazed at the range I've managed to get from the Levo SL, but this Monday was my first real epic ride.

This was going to be my two-RE day!

The Challenge and the Maths

I planned a 60 mile route starting and finishing at home. Link here: OS Maps: online mapping and walking, running and cycling routes

Our roadie cousins would call it 'gravel'. About 60% on hard pack dirt/stone/gravel of canal path and ridge way. A few miles of bridleway dirt, but again mostly dry and fast rolling. The rest of the route was on tarmac country lanes of varying quality.

I weigh about 100kg in my clothes, and was carrying a big backpack for the day. 2 litres of water. Food. The extra RE (with the other on the frame).

I have an 'epic tuned' profile selected in Mission Control. A slightly dialed back Eco at 30%/30%, and Trail at 50%/60%.

I find that Trail setting more than enough support - it gives if you commit yourself too - and from past experience it seems really power efficient.

I didn't use Turbo mode at all, but it was set to 70%/80%

Stage 1: Bath to Devizes

I set off with the bike reporting 150% battery / 15 bars lit on the TCU.

Within a mile of my door I was on the canal path all the way to Devizes.

Of course it was pretty flat (until Caen Hill) but it took a bit longer than expected. Dodging dog walkers and two families of swans and cygnets right at the side of the path.
IMG_20200629_112735.jpg

Did the whole stage in Eco mode, knowing I had a climb up to the Wessex Ridgeway to come later. And I didn't want for more power, with the SL happy to accelerate on the flat and no resistance when I hit the motor speed limit.
IMG_20200629_121320.jpg

On average, I was budgeting for around 7.5wh drained per mile.

In practice, when I checked my drain at the end of this stage, I nearly spat out my americano: 65wh used.

22.6 miles
547 ft elevation
65 wh used

Stage 2: Devizes to Cherhill White Horse

Now for some elevation. Flicked straight in to Trail mode for all of this stage.
IMG_20200629_134556.jpg

North out of Devizes on to the Wessex Ridgeway. Wide gravel byways, then I got lost on a golf course - awkward - before reaching chalk trails and a loop around the Cherwill White Horse and Lansdowne Monument.
IMG_20200629_140314.jpg

This is the peak of the ride, and the turning point before I head back towards Bath.
I expected to be close to half-empty by now, after 11.5 more miles, mostly up hill. But no! Just drained 111wh on this stage. Crazy.

34.1 miles
1892 ft elevation
176 wh used

Stage 3: Back down the hills to Lacock

More ridgeway then bridleway to the bottom of the downs, then country lanes to Lacock. 11.9 miles in total.
IMG_20200629_131018.jpg

At this point I was expecting to be conserving battery power for when I start to lag later in the ride. But having drained just 92wh on this stage, no point. I stay in Trail mode for the rest of the ride.

I am wondering if buying even one RE was a waste of money.

46 miles
2521 ft elevation
268 wh

Stage 4: Country Lanes from Lacock to Bath

On familiar territory, it's time to just get going in to the harsh headwind and get home.

All country lanes (quite gravelly tarmac) and Trail mode for 14.7 miles. With the headwind working against me I drained 121wh, with no need to pull the second RE out of my pack.

60.7 miles
3426 ft elevation
389 wh

Conclusion

Shock.
IMG_20200629_170421.jpg

In the end I averaged a drain of just 6.4wh per mile, way below my expected 7.5wh. And I'm not sure why this is the case. 7.5wh was based on 2-3 hour rides I've done locally.

I think maybe my Epic Profile helped.

*shrugs*

Why did I buy two REs?? If I'd put in a bit more effort, used a bit more Eco, I might have done this ride on just the internal battery.

I wouldn't, of course. I'd be too anxious without at least one RE.

But two REs? I have no type of ride I do that I can think I would need two REs. Maybe a day of laps on the Long Mynd?

That's something to try later in the summer....

Last edited:

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford

I went the way of the Zees, they are mega cheap for what they are.

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Nice. In 35/80 I average 5wh per km.
Today I slowed downonly used 82wh for 37km/22 miles

I notice on a big hill here (steep where I have to keep the front weighted but only about 2 football fields long if I let the bike do the work it’ll burn 10 watt hours.

I think I can improve my Epic Tune based on this experience.

I didn't use Turbo at all, so instead I can have a narrower range across the three modes. Maybe: 30/30 40/50 50/70

Pretty sure I could have spent a lot of time in 40/50 yesterday, when Eco wasn't quite enough.

tobster

Apr 3, 2020
Oxford
Check it later today as youtube process its quality. It was fillmed with 4k. You need to change the quality by yourself
Great videos. Can you please tell me who makes those handguards you have fitted? Hopefully they're available in the UK
Thanks
Toby

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Had first ride on the Cascade Components link.

Alot plusher and supple in in the first part, and ramps up really nice. I think I need to reduce my volume spacer now.

I did find I needed more air in it tho - probably need a little more too. Will have a video coming out on it.

Over all very impressed any actually made the bike feel alot more like a DH/Enduro ride with endless travel.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Regarding power usage: I get about 3 wh/mile just cruising paved trails; 4 wh/mile on gravel/dirt, all in Eco 35/45; 4 wh (est) climbing the only hill we have around here (in Turbo) which is about 1/4 mile long. On a recent 25 mile ride my SL used about 90 wh so it may be good for more than 80 miles on a charge!

Great Cornholio

Jun 27, 2020
telford
Has any one had any issues with the lever on the rear shock moving after using your water bottle? I'm finding that after i have had a drink the lever is being nudged over too lock out position :mad:, minor issue but bloody annoying tho.

Any hacks or bodges to sort this?

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
Stupid question time. I'm waiting for my SL Comp Ally to arrive at my LBS. First new mountain bike for ages - I currently have a Yeti 575.

How do you get the wheels off the SL? Is it quick release, or a spanner job? I'll be taking the wheels off to put it in the boot of my car. I can't find any decent pics on the Spesh site of the left side of the bike. Thanks.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Stupid question time. I'm waiting for my SL Comp Ally to arrive at my LBS. First new mountain bike for ages - I currently have a Yeti 575.

How do you get the wheels off the SL? Is it quick release, or a spanner job? I'll be taking the wheels off to put it in the boot of my car. I can't find any decent pics on the Spesh site of the left side of the bike. Thanks.

And more importantly than removing the bolts, there is a torque specification for installing them: 9 nm for the front axle; 15 nm for the rear axle.

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
Lovely thanks. All very exciting. I have a Snap-On electronic torque wrench which is about 20" long - seems like overkill!

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Got the Casade rear link today, swapped it over, and will test tomorrow. So far so good.

I recorded the process so will pop it up after first ride.
Nice! Post up how you like it.

edit: nvm saw your next post! That’s the experience I had as well. Curious to know how the clearance is for you at bottom out between the shock yoke and the seat stay cross member.

2wheeledwalbert

Apr 16, 2019
Gloucestershire, England
Just picked up my demo levo sl ready for tomorrow, had a quick spin around the roads, it's so loud it's embarrassing. Not sure if its because it's a demo bike and been treated like shit or if that's normal. ??

Tommidd

Jun 19, 2020
California
Another day at Henry Coe State Park in Bay Area, California. It was a great run until I got spooked when I stumbled upon a fresh kill while climbing - around 19th mile marker. Good thing I had my timber bell on to warn animals of my presence. Warning graphic image!

View attachment 31924

View attachment 31925

View attachment 31926

View attachment 31927

View attachment 31928

View attachment 31929
I'm in the Bay Area and thinking of trying Henry Coe. The length and vert of your ride seems about right for me. What specific trail(s) did you ride?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles