Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

Manitunc

May 18, 2020
Florida
Lovely thanks. All very exciting. I have a Snap-On electronic torque wrench which is about 20" long - seems like overkill!
My new bike!

C981492A-BE9A-4AB2-A927-6A49DAD8A4D4.jpeg

16AC5FEB-80C3-4CF5-9F33-178F0FB4471E.jpeg

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Lovely thanks. All very exciting. I have a Snap-On electronic torque wrench which is about 20" long - seems like overkill!
That should do the job! :) It may not be accurate at such low torque settings though, my 1/2" Craftsman (admittedly not the same quality as Snap-on) is useless below 20 nm.

And for my last post (for now) about torque specs: for many years I worked for a large manufacturing corporation that has an entire department dedicated to bolted joints so I learned to take this seriously.

Last edited:

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Its loud pretty much in every gear. Even in eco just cruising along. Sounds like it's going to seize up. Then when you build cadence up it's just a high pitch racquet.

That's about it.

In fact I think that's why it's such an annoying noise. Not that it's very loud, but because it's at that pitch that sounds like something is wrong with the bike!

When I first got the bike I think I described Eco mode as "fairly quite, as quite as a drive chain that hasn't been oiled this year".

2wheeledwalbert

Apr 16, 2019
Gloucestershire, England
That's about it.

In fact I think that's why it's such an annoying noise. Not that it's very loud, but because it's at that pitch that sounds like something is wrong with the bike!

When I first got the bike I think I described Eco mode as "fairly quite, as quite as a drive chain that hasn't been oiled this year".
Went on a proper ride on it up forest of dean today, must admit it's a fun bike. Just not sure if I can deal with that noise ? considering my 18 levo is quiet as a mouse, it's like specialized have gone backwards in technology. Saying that I seen a chap on same bike and his seemed alot quieter ??‍♂️

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Got some new shoes... Mercury Enduro X1 carbon hoops and Vittoria tires. Shave ~1.6lbs off the bike (also added a TRS 12+ cassette). I am at 39.84 lbs now :) (not going for weight, but sub 40lb is nice) .Definitely felt snappier + more damp over small bump. Super fun!
IMG_2879.jpeg

IMG_2884.jpeg

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
Went on a proper ride on it up forest of dean today, must admit it's a fun bike. Just not sure if I can deal with that noise ? considering my 18 levo is quiet as a mouse, it's like specialized have gone backwards in technology. Saying that I seen a chap on same bike and his seemed alot quieter ??‍♂️
I’m 1200 miles in on my carbon comp and honestly I think it’s got quieter in the last 500 Miles. it‘s certainly not Silent ?. But sheep don’t run a mile until I’m About 20 ft away.

Tommidd

Jun 19, 2020
California
Anyone having issues getting their range extender to fasten properly to the bike? I am having an issue sliding the attachment ring to the locked position. Thinking I may be doing it wrongly as well. I was trying without luck to find a video showing exactly how that locking ring works (or should work). Any tips, insights, or content would be most appreciated.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
@Tommidd - see post #1216
Yes, clockwise 90°. You can confirm rotation off the bike.
On the bike it should go from near vertical to near horizontal .

It turns easily once properly aligned - you should not have to force it.
Can be a bit fiddly. Try pressing the cap inward while turning the lever.
Cable tension can make it difficult. Mine fits best with the bottle cage slammed down.

MLX John

Jun 20, 2020
albuquerque, nm
Anyone having issues getting their range extender to fasten properly to the bike? I am having an issue sliding the attachment ring to the locked position. Thinking I may be doing it wrongly as well. I was trying without luck to find a video showing exactly how that locking ring works (or should work). Any tips, insights, or content would be most appreciated.
I was having trouble at first. Push the cable plug firmly into the charging port. That sorted it for me.

MLX John

Jun 20, 2020
albuquerque, nm
Has any one had any issues with the lever on the rear shock moving after using your water bottle? I'm finding that after i have had a drink the lever is being nudged over too lock out position :mad:, minor issue but bloody annoying tho.

Any hacks or bodges to sort this?
There is an expensive option-DPX2. Also, no clearance issues with the new shock and RE/ mid-sized water bottles.

20200702_144359.jpg

IMG_20200702_201329_437.jpg

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Quick question to SL expert owners... does the bike have fox performance or fox performance elite fork? I ve seen both specified on different sites, and there’s quite a difference between the two.

Pennine

May 2, 2020
Yorkshire
Levo SL comp carbon: Is there a torque setting for the thru axles particularly the rear? Wheels come off to fit bike in car so is it ok to just use the swat tool?

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Just picked up my demo levo sl ready for tomorrow, had a quick spin around the roads, it's so loud it's embarrassing. Not sure if its because it's a demo bike and been treated like shit or if that's normal. ??

Its not normal, my 2020 SL is quieter than both my 18 and 19 Levo turbo. Also the pitch/whine is different..it sounds loud to the rider..but if you are next to a SL, its alot quieter than turbos

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
I think its a logicaly reasonable speed. Where I’m at there are tons of families and little kids riding bikes, scooters and whatnot on the trails.
When you can ride just as fast - and faster - on acoustic and electric bikes, it's not logical at all.

We're not prevented from going more than 25 kph on acoustic or electric bikes, so "safety" cannot - logically - play into the decision.

The legal test (I'm legally trained, so I have some insight into this kind of thing) would be simple enough: does the 25 kph cut-off prevent an ebike from exceeding that speed?

(That being the only effect which would actually address alleged safety concerns).

That it doesn't means that it can't be there purely for safety reasons, because the cut-off does nothing meaningful to serve that purpose - the only thing which would, is a physical hard limit on exceeding a given supposedly "dangerous" speed, and no such thing exists.

And as I suggest up the page, there is evidence to indicate that the cut-off adds to risk, especially on shared roads.

Indeed, I can make a good argument that we're being actively encouraged by the manufacturers to ride beyond 25 kph, as witnessed by the fact that "no pedalling resistance after the cut-off" is a major selling-point, and a key feature of the motors in use nowadays.

They surely aren't trying to stop us from exceeding the cut-off speed, anyway - which would absolutely have to happen if doing so was a practical, demonstrable safety issue (which is isn't, of course).

So no. No logic, and no safety motivation here.

Last edited:

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
You’re oblivious.
So you can't come up with a convincing counter-argument, then. Or are you under the impression that I don't live in a world full of families and kids on scooters and whatnot?

Feel free to dispute the logic of anything I've suggested. You claimed that 25 kph was "logical", I think I demonstrated that it isn't. But I'm happy to be persuaded.

The simple fact is this: if going over 25 kph was, in and of itself, The Issue, that's what the law would act on, to the extent that it could.

But it doesn't. It doesn't even try. There is no legal barrier to riding above that, regardless of the bike's motive power, and the 25 kph cut-off isn't a limit on the speed of an ebike anyway.

It follows, as night follows day, that the speed itself isn't considered a problem by legislators; and by extension that the cut-off must be for a purpose other than to address safety concerns.

Because it singularly doesn't do that.

Yes, it's common sense to argue that < 25 kph can be a safer option in certain circumstances - no dispute that when it comes to collision risk, slower is better than faster - but when any bike, powered or not, can exceed it, the cut-off cannot be intended as a safety feature, because it does nothing to limit the speed of the bike, only the relative ease (primarily on the flat or uphill, and with an "Old School" heavy resistance motor) of achieving it.

So that's what the logic tells us. You're free to argue otherwise, but please don't call it a logical argument (you've got a bit of causal fallacy going on, I think - "slower is safer, therefore the cut-off must be a safety feature"), because - sorry - you're not in the same room as the logic.

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Quick question to SL expert owners... does the bike have fox performance or fox performance elite fork? I ve seen both specified on different sites, and there’s quite a difference between the two.

Performance (non-elite)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles