Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

Vin829

Feb 18, 2020
California, USA
Thanks for posting this. I was talking to Lars last week about his SL as we exchanged notes and experiences with this bike. He also mentioned that an updated firmware is available for the motor and batteries (main and extender) so I had my SL's firmware updated. I thought he mentioned that the wheel circumference can now be changed on the new firmware but when I tried it was still lock. I will ask him about this the next time I visit. Trail Head is my LBS and I have been supporting them since I started mountain biking. Lars and his crew are great. Every time I visit, I spend at least an hour chatting with him and his crew. BTW the CK matte bourbon hubs is gorgeous!
Can you post your firmware on the motor and battery so I can double check with mine?

Bencab

Feb 13, 2020
California
Can you post your firmware on the motor and battery so I can double check with mine?
Same here, after riding for about 50 miles this weekend, I cannot tell the difference.

02B84AA9-7B5D-465D-9CBA-893AA65CC88E.jpeg

9CB55A45-DFA7-4355-A9FA-A4158C52B97D.jpeg

D8546FF8-B2EB-46D9-AFF9-817B9CA474DB.jpeg

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Congrats man! Another two weeks and I should have my goodies.
Bad news... despite double and triple checking with the LBS today - it appears they’ve given me Levo cranks rather than SL!

Only took 2 mins to remove one, to quickly realise it’s the wrong thing.
You can see in the pic that my alloy one looks nothing like the carbon ones.
I weighed the alloy one when I had it off - so I reckon carbon should save approx 100g. A lot less than I expected!

0DFE60EE-6EF9-4AC9-B9D9-C85ACD4231FB.jpeg

7A35CE1D-1E51-4CDD-83A2-4AD07D2AAC81.jpeg

Kpmnd85

Feb 13, 2020
Austin, TX
Pure love with shimano drivetrain. Extremely smooth shifting, even under heavy pedaling in uphills or accelerating in segment.
Also the double shifting when accelerating is one thing i like.
So much better than sram!

Gonna sell my xx1/x01 set.
I too find a noticable difference between Shimano XTR vs. the XX1 setup I had been using - especially on heavy uphill shifts. I have my XX1 cassette on the original wheelset and plan on going for a ride with the XTR chain with the XX1 to see how much is the chain. I'm also wondering how much of this is attributable to the acoustics of the XX1 cassette.

jemen

E*POWAH Master
Jun 1, 2018
Austria
I installed a Wolftooth 34t, the chain guide still fits. Praxis notes to only use the 8 mm bolt to extract the crank, do not loosen the larger ring.
As i mentioned a hundred times, you dont need the chainguide on the SL. I dismounted it from the beginning.

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
As i mentioned a hundred times, you dont need the chainguide on the SL. I dismounted it from the beginning.

Need of quide is all about surface ect of ride. My trails, style and races ect needs a quide. Dont wanna drop the chain during race forexample

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL

I must have missed the first 99 times. ;)
For the conditions I ride in I probably don't need the chain guide. Does it cause any problems if it is left on the bike?

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
Noob buyer question about dealing with LBS.

Context: I bought a 19 Levo Comp end of last season from this LBS (I bought their end of season demo model and saved $1!). Prior bike purchases were off craigslist so I've limited LBS experience. I just took the morning off work to demo the Levo SL and I want to make the switch :)

Question: They don't have my preferred model/color in stock, and specialized.com is showing 'no stock'.
Can they 'transfer' a bike from another shop? or am I stuck ordering/waiting (no idea how long that will be)?
and since there's no stock, I'm assuming i'm paying msrp... :(
Asking as I'd prefer to continue to give my business to this shop, but 1) I don't want to wait all summer for my bike and 2) would like to get a deal if I can.

Hoping to get more experienced perspective before I go talk to them. :)
I'm in California if it matters.

Vin829

Feb 18, 2020
California, USA

Context: I bought a 19 Levo Comp end of last season from this LBS (I bought their end of season demo model and saved $1!). Prior bike purchases were off craigslist so I've limited LBS experience. I just took the morning off work to demo the Levo SL and I want to make the switch :)

Question: They don't have my preferred model/color in stock, and specialized.com is showing 'no stock'.
Can they 'transfer' a bike from another shop? or am I stuck ordering/waiting (no idea how long that will be)?
Asking as I'd prefer to continue to give my business to this shop, but 1) I don't want to wait all summer for my bike and 2) would like to get a deal if I can.

Where in California? I’m also in CA. Normally shops wont trade like car dealerships do. Plus with the sudden high demand if you dont buy it someone else will. Jump on it while you can and deal with what color is available. Just my 2 cents

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
Where in California? I’m also in CA. Normally shops wont trade like car dealerships do. Plus with the sudden high demand if you dont buy it someone else will. Jump on it while you can and deal with what color is available. Just my 2 cents

Thanks for that! I'm in South Lake Tahoe.
I'll take another look at the Carbon but preferred the Oak. For the $$$ I want to love it. I was on the 'rocket red' this morning and there's no way I'd own that color! :)

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
I'll take another look at the Carbon but preferred the Oak. For the $$$ I want to love it. I was on the 'rocket red' this morning and there's no way I'd own that color! :)

Here's some bike p0rn from this morning's ride.
This trail is out my front door (no car reqd), looking over Fallen Leaf Lake, with Lake Tahoe in the distance.
LevoSL_FallenLeaf.jpg

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland

I was in my LBS yesterday (UK) and they had practically nothing.
They said everyone has jumped on the exercise bandwagon due to Covid. Not a good time for them, as it’s between the 2020 and 2021 bikes - so difficult to restock. On the plus, they’ve cleared out all the 2020 bikes which they’d normally end up discounting in a couple of months!

Glad I got mine when I did - probably done more miles in the last few months than I’d normally do in a year!

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
@jimslade -

I agree with the above comments! Buy what you can from your LBS ( assuming they are a good shop).

It will be snowing there in four months. Don’t miss out on riding while waiting out another trip around the sun.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Do you ever climb it and shoot arrows off it just for shits and giggles? Or make a big fire on it and run around saying the Vikings have landed? Pretty cool to have history.....wonder how many soldiers had their GFs meet them there
Flew a drone off it last year, but that’s one of the few times I’ve bothered climbing it!

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire

The full fat Levo update is due anytime now (my guess is for next Tuesday). There’s a link in this thread to a build from Trailhead Cyclery (I think) that shows the 2021 SL S-Works colour scheme suggesting these updates are on the way too.

I’m in the UK but been on the end of a FF waiting list last year (I gave up). This year I’m after a 2021 Diverge Comp Carbon which are out of stock until at least 20th November!

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
Mine here in Germany didn’t have any in stock so they ordered it from specialized. However all Full fat Levos were concurrently out of stock and never to come I stock again with year model 2020. So you could order through them

you can also go on specialized website and order a bike to your LBS and I’ve seen the main site offer a 15% discount.

where ever you go you should be able to get a 15% discount. If you don’t then find a super hot chick to get the discount for you.
I saw the 15% on the site but the small print says "does not apply to bikes" :confused:

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
The full fat Levo update is due anytime now (my guess is for next Tuesday). There’s a link in this thread to a build from Trailhead Cyclery (I think) that shows the 2021 SL S-Works colour scheme suggesting these updates are on the way too.

I’m in the UK but been on the end of a FF waiting list last year (I gave up). This year I’m after a 2021 Diverge Comp Carbon which are out of stock until at least 20th November!
Does anyone have more info on the SL update timing wise?

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
@jimslade -

I agree with the above comments! Buy what you can from your LBS ( assuming they are a good shop).

It will be snowing there in four months. Don’t miss out on riding while waiting out another trip around the sun.
Totally agree. This is actually our holiday home, but with Covid we are spending a LOT of time up here and plan to live/work from here most of the summer. I'd like to do the swap now. However, I do have the 2019 Levo Comp, which is a great bike, and I have a full carbon 'analog' stumpy, so all won't be lost if I don't get one. And if I'm going to pay $$$ I want love it and keep it for a few years (that is, unless Specialized figures out how to shave another 10 lbs off the SL or magically comes up with a 700wh battery at the same weight :ROFLMAO:)

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
Websites are already listing the 2021SLs over here So maybe call a couple local ones and try to get on a list. Which prob means no discount, he’ll it’s Cali the LBSs might mark them up.
Didn’t see that about the 15%..... that’s retarded.
Yeah everything is more expensive in CA!
More noob questions... I just got on the hamster wheel last year (before last year my prior bike was a '97 26" Stumpy hardtail. still have it! :)
I found a Spanish dealer (Mammoth) listing the 2021 SL and... the entire lineup looks like the 2020 SL. Any info on what's expected for the SL line for 2021? Seems like the 2020 Levos got a better battery and ? If there's a better battery or motor on offer that would likely just be swappable if desired. Even if they unveil in a few weeks, inventory doesn't show up for months right?

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
Honestly, there’s really no need for a battery like that on an SL. If I stay in turbo 85/85 I average 100wh per hour riding in turbo here in the terrain of Germany. Very similar Hills/mountains to Cali unless you decide to ride up big bear of course. So in theory I could ride for over 4 hours in my 85/85 turbo....wish I had that kind of free time. If you’re really gonna ride all day then a couple range extenders would be fine. Turbo even at 85/85 for me is only needed when you’re going up hills where the front tire just skims the ground because it’s so steep but I’ve been using turbo for to work commute because it’s about 55 min vs 65min ride and I don’t arrive soaking wet.
Agreed, I was joking. My ride this morning was 2.5 hrs and 21miles. 2830ft elevation gain and had 27% battery left. Avg support was 79%.
I was getting a bit tired/hungry (only had light breakfast before heading out), but could have gone more... though 2-3 hrs is typically all the time I have. I usually go early in the morning before the family gets up.
Last year I was using the Levo for work commuting as well, for the exact same reasons. :)

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine

“Jim Slade” haha!?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles