Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
I didn't try the Shimano chain link. On MTBR Forum there are several who have made the conversion. The info shared was that the Shimano link was slightly too narrow for the SRAM Narrow Wide crank but this was easily remedied by using a SRAM Powerlink.

By the way, when looking into changing the crank ring, the company that holds the cards is Praxxis. They make the M30 standard for everybody. I spoke to them about making a Shimano based ring for BCD 94. That is where they told me SRAM is the only one using the BCD 94. Praxxis mentioned I might be more likely to find a M30 spider which supports BCD 104 and then a chainring that is Shimano and BCD 104 compatible. I looked briefly but could not find this combo. It was also about this time I discovered the MTBR Forum info.

I looked for the right link to send you on MTBR but could not find it.

Spider on the sl on mountes on motor so that is not a normal spider and so might be impossible to chage its type to some other?

Kpmnd85

Feb 13, 2020
Austin, TX
Spider on the sl on mountes on motor so that is not a normal spider and so might be impossible to chage its type to some other?
My understanding is it would need to be a M30 spider to be compatible with the motor. I get the impression this is a Praxxis owned piece of IP which they both make products for themselves and others. Not sure if they license the IP to anyone else.

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
My understanding is it would need to be a M30 spider to be compatible with the motor. I get the impression this is a Praxxis owned piece of IP which they both make products for themselves and others. Not sure if they license the IP to anyone else.

Pretty sure there is no spider like this available at 104bcd

Screenshot_20200603_144710.jpg

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I just changed the 30T chainring to a 34 T Wolftooth. I emailed Praxis about removing the cranks and they replied only use the 8 mm bolt, do not loosen the large cap (it is what the 8 mm bolt works off of to extract the crank).

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
I’ve ordered the Praxis Works carbon ones for the S-Works SL. They only come in 170 and 165mm, so I’ve gone with 165mm.
I believe these are the only cranks available for the SL at the moment?
I'm currently in conversation with Praxis, regards a shorter forged crank. For me, the actual length of crank is not an issue, it's the distance between the spindles, so I've asked if they could just drill me a 165mm crank arm that has a 155mm spindle-to-spindle measurement. They were open to the suggestion, as it's a medical need, so am hopeful of a positive outcome. In the meantime, I've spoken to both Hope and Miranda about it, as both produce aftermarket cranks. Both told me they were aware of this new standard but did not comment further.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I'm currently in conversation with Praxis, regards a shorter forged crank. For me, the actual length of crank is not an issue, it's the distance between the spindles, so I've asked if they could just drill me a 165mm crank arm that has a 155mm spindle-to-spindle measurement. They were open to the suggestion, as it's a medical need, so am hopeful of a positive outcome. In the meantime, I've spoken to both Hope and Miranda about it, as both produce aftermarket cranks. Both told me they were aware of this new standard but did not comment further.

Thats good to hear if they make you a ‘special’ build one.
TBH, I’m happy enough with the 170mm, but think 165mm might save my pedals a little bit. Not much in it, and probably not enough to notice a difference when pedalling, whilst offering a fraction more clearance.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Aren’t the Shimano spiders/cranks asymmetric when 94 BCD. On the Gravel/road lines they tend to be.

Personally I wouldn’t get too hung up on the chainring that’s on there unless you want more teeth. These things reportedly mix and match much better than Shimano and SRAM are willing to admit (and for obvious reason ;) ).

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
Yes there are many SRAM 94 BCD but I have not found a single Shimano HG+ compatible 30t ring.

But in the end, the SRAM ring works fine with the Shimano HG+ chain as long as you use the SRAM Powerlink coupler.

Wolftooth will work

RawShore

May 18, 2020
Kintea46
Hi everyone, I am new here in this forum and just wanted to show you my Levo SL Comp Carbon.

Recent changes to stoke are the rear derailleur (XX1 AXS) Seat post (Rock Show Never AXS) and Continental Baron tires.
Next things to do are some nice Shimano XTR 4-Piston breaks already laying around here.

I would like to go for a carbon handlebar and slightly longer stem. Do you have any recommendations for me?

I am very happy with that bike, its my first ebike and the best decision I could have made.

IMG_5088.jpg
IMG_5090.jpg

Last edited:

Surge

Aug 20, 2018
Toronto
I thought I had the same problem as you:

I spoke to silverfish (UK Fox repair shop) and they said to send them in as a warranty job, they serviced them and said no fault found. I now suspect that it is the guilde R caliper, if you take the caliper off and shake it you may hear the pads and spreader rattle, mine has about 1mm of moment around the pin which I am sure is the culprit. Like someone posted if you widen the spreader it helps however I still got the noise on today’s ride after a bit.

I am not that keen on the fox forks either after previously using Lyriks, however I despise the Guide R brakes even more. XT 4 pots being ordered this week.

Update on this - you’re right, it’s not the fork, but the pad H spacer on the Guide brakes. I removed them today, widened them a bit, then put them back in — rattle gone! It’s So Quiet now!

Note that I also redid the stem bolts and steerer tube bolts and taped the spare chain links with electrical tape as they were quite loose. So I’m note sure what the culprit(s) was/were.

Surge

Aug 20, 2018
Toronto
Since the SL only came out in February, I imagine it’ll be a long wait until the 2021 version comes out.

Personally, I don’t see any draw to the S-Works, apart from the badge. It’s still kitted out with several poor choice components, and at a silly price.
On other Specialized bikes, they only come with the rear triangle in carbon on the S-Works... and the S-Works has a better grade of carbon.
On the SL, the frames are identical.

You can buy a Comp Carbon, strip it down, and build a far better bike than the S-Works for cheaper.

Each to their own though!

Actually, you can’t. I did the math. Every component upgrade you get with the S-Works, and even the Founder’s, is worth it economically. Meaning you don’t save any money by doing it yourself. On the contrary, it would cost more because you’d have to sell the replaced components.

Surge

Aug 20, 2018
Toronto
The Founders ‘looks’ good, but what’s the difference between it and an S-Works. A nice paint job, AXS rear, and an extra range extender... for £1500!!
The AXS XX1 derailleur and shifter cost me £690, and a range extender is £300. You could probably sell the XX1 derailleur and shifter that came on the bike for £150-200.

The best option would be Frame Only, but currently Specialized don’t offer that.

Here’s the breakdown in USD on what you get on the Founders over the regular S-Works:
- AXS RD = +$750 (this includes selling the non-AXS XX1)
- top end saddle with gold font (~$145), incredible gold leaf paint (~$1000 - what it’s worth to me)
- 1 range extender = $407
Add it up = +$2302

The price difference here (Canada), in USD = $2143, so it’s actually worth it to get the Founders, if you value the above.

Don‘t ask me why I did the math!!
They are all sold out anyway.

Surge

Aug 20, 2018
Toronto
I’ve ordered the Praxis Works carbon ones for the S-Works SL. They only come in 170 and 165mm, so I’ve gone with 165mm.
I believe these are the only cranks available for the SL at the moment?

The S-Works comes with these as standard.

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
Actually, you can’t. I did the math. Every component upgrade you get with the S-Works, and even the Founder’s, is worth it economically. Meaning you don’t save any money by doing it yourself. On the contrary, it would cost more because you’d have to sell the replaced components.

Same as it ever was...

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland

Actually, you CAN. I've done it with the Expert, and I'm sure doing it with the Comp Carbon would leave you with a lot more change in your pocket. Please bear in mind I'm not talking about building it to the same level - I'm talking about putting higher end components that YOU actually want rather than what Specialized spec.

I have a build thread on here that shows exactly what I've changed and why - Levo SL Expert - build thread. - EMTB Forums
I feel (in my opinion) that I have built a better bike (for my needs anyway) that an S-Works, and at less cost.
Most people (a generalisation - I know) on here like to tinker with their bikes and upgrade - so for them, the S-Works is a waste of money unless they seek that badge. If you want a "reasonably" kitted out bike from the start and don't want to upgrade - then maybe the S-works is for you.

Most people will find the G2 brakes on the S-Works are inadequate after a few rides and want to upgrade them. Most people will also change the saddle to their preferred one. Personally, I'd be changing the forks too, and probably the bars. For me, the S-Works is a waste of money.

Last edited:

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Here’s the breakdown in USD on what you get on the Founders over the regular S-Works:
- top end saddle with gold font (~$145), incredible gold leaf paint (~$1000 - what it’s worth to me)
Add it up = +$2302

The price difference here (Canada), in USD = $2143, so it’s actually worth it to get the Founders, if you value the above.

I've done the mathS too...
The AXS upgrade kit cost me £658.52 in the UK. The range extender is £299. The saddle will likely be replaced anyway - as per my previous message. The gold leaf paint is worth nothing. It's a bike, and gets scuffed. If it looks nice, and is a colour I like - then great. If not, I'm certainly not going to be paying a chunk of cash for a colour I like better.

S-Works UK Retail = £10999
Founders UK Retail = £12500
Difference = £1501
Cost to make an S-Works a Founders (excluding glittery paint!) = £957.52
Saving = £543.48 - in which you can buy whatever saddle you want!

RawShore

May 18, 2020
Kintea46
Add it up = +$2302

To achieve the full look of an S-Works or even the founders Edition, I thing you are absolute right.

But if you only want to have the performance, with a little research and time it is possible to source some of the parts much cheaper. I paid 490€ for the XX1 AXS RD, 461€ for the AXS Dropper and 287€ for the XTR 9120 Breaks. Yes it took me more thank one day and it was more than just a click on e*** or in one of those online shops but it worked.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
The S-Works comes with these as standard.
It does.
Even if I'd bought an S-Works with these as standard, I'd still be replacing them, as I want the 165mm version.

Unfortunately as things stand, there is only 1 set of cranks available to buy at the moment - and thats the Praxis Carbon. I believe you can't even buy the alloy ones as spares yet - so if you damage one, you have to get the carbon as a replacement (according to a bike shop).

If there were other cranks available for the SL, then I'd probably pick something else... however there is no choice at the moment!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I paid 10,923 euro for the s works. Which is 9,799 £. So not sure that could be beat. I doubt people are paying the full retail.

You could join some masked shopping groups in the US and score one for free I’m sure.

I got 15% off the Expert, and would have got 15% off the Comp Carbon or S-Works if I'd chosen to.
£5099 for a Comp Carbon (with 15% off) gives a lot of scope for upgrades to reach £9799.

You can also sell the bits you remove and make some money back off that.
Not huge amounts, but I got the following for my Expert bits on eBay. Sold them on a £1 listing weekend, so I only have to give eBay £4 in fees rather than 10% of sale:
SRAM G2 RSC Brakes: £164
Fox 34 Performance Fork: £346
X-fusion Manic Dropper Post: £87
SRAM Eagle GX cassette / chain / derailleur / shifter: £181
Total: £778 (minus £4 ebay fees)

Last edited:

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
In Australia the founder edition is $26,500 Aud my comp carbon was $11,200 I put AXS shifting and seat post Code RSC brakes. Still running standard forks and shock but may look at them later if I find them an issue.
Costs
AXS shifting $2,000
AXS seatpost $1100
Code brakes $700

I have kept all the parts and can put it back to standard if I want to sell it and use the upgraded parts on my next bike.

I know i could have spent a mere $10,00 more And saved a ton of work changing them, but i actually enjoyed doing it.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles