Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
Well...

Changed my mind and not gonna sell the SL.
Did a few test rides on mondraker crafty carbon rr.
What i was wanting was only something new.. But the truth is and imo will be for now that specialized electric systems are waaaaayyyy ahead others.
New bosch still has a power kick, even in emtb mode, it is not even close as smooth as SL/ff levo.
Only thing i really liked on crafty was rear suspension. It was smooth at the top but still very supportive at middle and didnt bottomed out(sag 33%).
Have had several spesh bikes in a row, analog and electric, cant go any other.

IMG_20200531_134552_1.jpg

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
Been trying to get a discount off a comp carbon, best so far is 10% off, my LBS whom I've known and bought bikes from for 25 years thinks I'm mad and that I should wait a few more months for the new bikes, not sure what to do now!
the bikes only been out a few month, can’t see spesh changing it already and bring new version out this year. The only thing that will change is the price and i bet it go’s up. From robs now removed video, marco mentioned the SL would only go lighter, can’t see it coming specs with 36 forks etc.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Been trying to get a discount off a comp carbon, best so far is 10% off, my LBS whom I've known and bought bikes from for 25 years thinks I'm mad and that I should wait a few more months for the new bikes, not sure what to do now!
I’m now leaning towards an SL(hope to get test ride at some point) and am now likely to wait until the 2021’s come out. I’m sure they’ll be the same with just the usual component changes. I’m hoping for better colours though, not keen on any but the S W Founders but that’s far too much money. The current S Works SL version is very dull looking, reminds me of a rockhopper from the 90’s! The FF ones have better colours. Ideally I’ll go S Works but for me it needs to look right at that price.
Santa Cruz do the best coloured bikes in my opinion but I don’t want one of them?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’m now leaning towards an SL(hope to get test ride at some point) and am now likely to wait until the 2021’s come out. I’m sure they’ll be the same with just the usual component changes.

Ideally I’ll go S Works but for me it needs to look right at that price.

Since the SL only came out in February, I imagine it’ll be a long wait until the 2021 version comes out.

Personally, I don’t see any draw to the S-Works, apart from the badge. It’s still kitted out with several poor choice components, and at a silly price.
On other Specialized bikes, they only come with the rear triangle in carbon on the S-Works... and the S-Works has a better grade of carbon.
On the SL, the frames are identical.

You can buy a Comp Carbon, strip it down, and build a far better bike than the S-Works for cheaper.

Each to their own though!

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Since the SL only came out in February, I imagine it’ll be a long wait until the 2021 version comes out.

Personally, I don’t see any draw to the S-Works, apart from the badge. It’s still kitted out with several poor choice components, and at a silly price.
On other Specialized bikes, they only come with the rear triangle in carbon on the S-Works... and the S-Works has a better grade of carbon.
On the SL, the frames are identical.

You can buy a Comp Carbon, strip it down, and build a far better bike than the S-Works for cheaper.

Each to their own though!
Thanks for that, I didn’t notice that all carbon frames on the SL have the S Works level grade carbon. It makes me wonder if they’ll be going 12m carbon for 2021 on S Works models.
You’re right though with regards to the current comp carbon because of this. The expert looks half decent but the hubs in the wheels are awful(I’ve experienced them) but guess that they could be swapped as the rims are good. A Comp Carbon frame only would work well, shame.
I’ll give it some thought and see if the 2021’s turn up late August, if not decision time.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Thanks for that, I didn’t notice that all carbon frames on the SL have the S Works level grade carbon. It makes me wonder if they’ll be going 12m carbon for 2021 on S Works models.
You’re right though with regards to the current comp carbon because of this. The expert looks half decent but the hubs in the wheels are awful(I’ve experienced them) but guess that they could be swapped as the rims are good. A Comp Carbon frame only would work well, shame.
I’ll give it some thought and see if the 2021’s turn up late August, if not decision time.

I went with the Expert, but in hindsight should have probably bought the Comp Carbon. I’ve changed pretty much everything except the cranks (new ones on order), rear shock (will be changing VERY soon) and wheels - which are fine for now.

I seriously considered the S-Works, but I always intended fitting AXS shifting - so at that point I knew taking an Expert and swapping bits would be cheaper.
I didn’t factor in how bad the stock brakes would be... but it’s still cost me less and I have a bike that “I” (in my eyes anyway!) consider to be significantly better then the S-Works!

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
I went with the Expert, but in hindsight should have probably bought the Comp Carbon. I’ve changed pretty much everything except the cranks (new ones on order), rear shock (will be changing VERY soon) and wheels - which are fine for now.

I seriously considered the S-Works, but I always intended fitting AXS shifting - so at that point I knew taking an Expert and swapping bits would be cheaper.
I didn’t factor in how bad the stock brakes would be... but it’s still cost me less and I have a bike that “I” (in my eyes anyway!) consider to be significantly better then the S-Works!
That makes sense. My current S Works Stumpy, 2019 has been built to my spec. AXS dropper, AXS XX1, DT Swiss XMC 1200 wheels. I would want it pretty much as good. The Founders looks good but not at that price!!

eMarc

Apr 21, 2020
Kent UK
I am swapping the guide R brakes out for XT 4 pots this week. I am going with the wolf tooth MM-ISEV converter for the shifter and brake lever on the right. I am not sure what lever the xfusion manic dropper is paired with. Has anybody tried mounting it to the shimano ispec system?

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
That makes sense. My current S Works Stumpy, 2019 has been built to my spec. AXS dropper, AXS XX1, DT Swiss XMC 1200 wheels. I would want it pretty much as good. The Founders looks good but not at that price!!

The Founders ‘looks’ good, but what’s the difference between it and an S-Works. A nice paint job, AXS rear, and an extra range extender... for £1500!!
The AXS XX1 derailleur and shifter cost me £690, and a range extender is £300. You could probably sell the XX1 derailleur and shifter that came on the bike for £150-200.

The best option would be Frame Only, but currently Specialized don’t offer that.

dasurpha

May 9, 2020
Helsinki
I am swapping the guide R brakes out for XT 4 pots this week. I am going with the wolf tooth MM-ISEV converter for the shifter and brake lever on the right. I am not sure what lever the xfusion manic dropper is paired with. Has anybody tried mounting it to the shimano ispec system?
Problem Solvers Mismatch 1.2 adapter should do the job. Or one of the cheaper ones like this
Waiting for to get one.

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
Has anyone put an xt/xtr drivetrain to SL?
Thinking to swap mine xx1 eagle to xtr 12spd..

In every bike that have had eagle, i have said that it is noisier than sram 11spd system. Imo there is much more chain slap in eagle system.

Any toughts?

Kpmnd85

Feb 13, 2020
Austin, TX
Has anyone put an xt/xtr drivetrain to SL?
Thinking to swap mine xx1 eagle to xtr 12spd..

In every bike that have had eagle, i have said that it is noisier than sram 11spd system. Imo there is much more chain slap in eagle system.

Any toughts?
First, thanks again for the advice on the Cane Creek Coil shock. Mine arrives Thursday.

I had upgraded my Levo SL Carbon Comp from stock to Eagle XX1 with AXS Eagle XX1 shifter. I did this in March. Last week my carbon wheels with Shimano mirco spline arrived and I installed XTR cassette 10-51 and 9100 XTR chain. I used an Eagle powerlink for the chain as I was told the Shimano chain link is slightly too narrow and would hang on the front crank.

I've ridden the bike about seven times and my experience is quieter, smoother shifting especially if needing to shift uphill with a power being applied to the cranks. With the XX1 the noise of a shift from a smaller to larger gear with more than ~100 watts of rider power being applied (plus another 60-100 watts of motor) sounded rough. The XTR chain seems to perform as advertised. I also find the tighter tooth count of the larger gears of the Shimano better 51-45-39-33 vs. XX1 50-42-36-32.

One other note. When I first assembled the cassette onto the hub and took it for a ride, All of the shifting was graet except the next to smallest gear. When I too the wheel off and looked sideways through the gears, I had not seated that gear properly (it was tilted). Once corrected, it shifts perfectly.

Hope this helps.

dasurpha

May 9, 2020
Helsinki
I had upgraded my Levo SL Carbon Comp from stock to Eagle XX1 with AXS Eagle XX1 shifter. I did this in March. Last week my carbon wheels with Shimano mirco spline arrived and I installed XTR cassette 10-51 and 9100 XTR chain. I used an Eagle powerlink for the chain as I was told the Shimano chain link is slightly too narrow and would hang on the front crank.

This reminded me of an article I read some time ago, might be interesting to check @TomH79

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
First, thanks again for the advice on the Cane Creek Coil shock. Mine arrives Thursday.

I've ridden the bike about seven times and my experience is quieter, smoother shifting especially if needing to shift uphill with a power being applied to the cranks. With the XX1 the noise of a shift from a smaller to larger gear with more than ~100 watts of rider power being applied (plus another 60-100 watts of motor) sounded rough. The XTR chain seems to perform as advertised. I also find the tighter tooth count of the larger gears of the Shimano better 51-45-39-33 vs. XX1 50-42-36-32.

One other note. When I first assembled the cassette onto the hub and took it for a ride, All of the shifting was graet except the next to smallest gear. When I too the wheel off and looked sideways through the gears, I had not seated that gear properly (it was tilted). Once corrected, it shifts perfectly.

Hope this helps.

What chainring do you use?

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor

What cranks are you getting and where from? My poor knees are in desperate need of shorter crank arms!

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Had a great ride a couple of days ago, all local but with a wide variety of trails. 62kms, 1,130m of climbing, and 5hrs 20mins in the saddle. Used both batteries, increasing the assistance as time passed as my knees are still struggling with these longer cranks (I normally run 155mm, due to injuries, so these 165s are giving a 2cm extension in stroke, which is causing a much deeper knee bend).

One thing I have no problem with is the stock shock, which is working really well for me. This may be down to weighing only 74kgs, though likely the fact that I rarely get to do any runs in excess of 2-3 minutes plays a part too.

If I could just get shorter cranks, this bike would be pretty close to perfect!

20200531_111923.jpg

20200531_092323.jpg

Duck!.jpg

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
What cranks are you getting and where from? My poor knees are in desperate need of shorter crank arms!

I’ve ordered the Praxis Works carbon ones for the S-Works SL. They only come in 170 and 165mm, so I’ve gone with 165mm.
I believe these are the only cranks available for the SL at the moment?

Kpmnd85

Feb 13, 2020
Austin, TX
Ok, but are not able to use shimanos chainlink?
I didn't try the Shimano chain link. On MTBR Forum there are several who have made the conversion. The info shared was that the Shimano link was slightly too narrow for the SRAM Narrow Wide crank but this was easily remedied by using a SRAM Powerlink.

By the way, when looking into changing the crank ring, the company that holds the cards is Praxxis. They make the M30 standard for everybody. I spoke to them about making a Shimano based ring for BCD 94. That is where they told me SRAM is the only one using the BCD 94. Praxxis mentioned I might be more likely to find a M30 spider which supports BCD 104 and then a chainring that is Shimano and BCD 104 compatible. I looked briefly but could not find this combo. It was also about this time I discovered the MTBR Forum info.

I looked for the right link to send you on MTBR but could not find it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles