M820 Bafang - LIGHTCARBON LCE930 Frame (lightweight)

crustafur

Nov 22, 2023
Orlando, FL
Question for the ones riding this frame with a coil shock, are you easily blowing through the travel? With an airshock I find I need lots of tokens to make it more progressive. I like to have a coil shock but I am afraid the leverage curve is not progressive enough..
I think there are more questions about your set up to answer that question...What sag percentage are you sitting at whilst also being maxed out on tokens and bottoming out?

As far as switching to a coil goes, they do sell progressive coils now, Cane Creek and Springdex off the top of my head.

Freda

Feb 5, 2023
Vaasa
I think there are more questions about your set up to answer that question...What sag percentage are you sitting at whilst also being maxed out on tokens and bottoming out?

As far as switching to a coil goes, they do sell progressive coils now, Cane Creek and Springdex off the top of my head.
I have around 27% sag at the moment and two tokens. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with my current setup, I have just always liked the feel of coil shock. An air shock is easy to tune to what you want, a coil shock not so easy. It is not a bad thing to bottom out, just not all the time. Especially with the Rockshox HBO.
It seems to be a quite linear suspension design, that is why I want to know about running coil shock. A progressive spring is probably the way to go, or just stay with air shock.

Freda

Feb 5, 2023
Vaasa
I am 71kg + gear. I have 2023 super deluxe ultimete with 450lbs spring. I have lsc and hsc closed and it still feels very plush. But it is still quite easy to bottom it out. Even with the HBO. My shock does have L(ligth) compression tune and considering the levrage rate, it would probably benifit from M or H.
I just recieved 500lbs spring, and will try it in folowing weeks, to see if it would be any better regarding bottoming out.
Do you know what sag you have?

crustafur

Nov 22, 2023
Orlando, FL
I have around 27% sag at the moment and two tokens. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with my current setup, I have just always liked the feel of coil shock. An air shock is easy to tune to what you want, a coil shock not so easy. It is not a bad thing to bottom out, just not all the time. Especially with the Rockshox HBO.
It seems to be a quite linear suspension design, that is why I want to know about running coil shock. A progressive spring is probably the way to go, or just stay with air shock.
If you check Lightcarbons page for the frame under the technology tab, there is a leverage ratio chart (assuming its correct) the design is a rising rate, so not linear. Maybe your air shock is just not up to the task? I.E. XC shock on heavy E-bike? Not enough damping for your weight/riding style?
I ride coil front and rear on both my bikes, so I am a fan of coils. I am not going to talk you out of a coil shock, just curious if you are encountering another problem :)

Freda

Feb 5, 2023
Vaasa
If you check Lightcarbons page for the frame under the technology tab, there is a leverage ratio chart (assuming its correct) the design is a rising rate, so not linear. Maybe your air shock is just not up to the task? I.E. XC shock on heavy E-bike? Not enough damping for your weight/riding style?
I ride coil front and rear on both my bikes, so I am a fan of coils. I am not going to talk you out of a coil shock, just curious if you are encountering another problem :)
Yes I have seen it, according to that a coil would fit just fine. I ride a Super Deluxe RCT, not brand new, but works well. I just like the feel of coil, but how I setup my air-shock makes me wonder.

robk

Jun 12, 2024
USA
Hi Everyone,

New here! Completed my build of the LCE930 frame with Bafang m820 motor. Really enjoying the bike!

Reading everyone's experience with the LCE930 build was so helpful. Happy to answer any questions about the kit or assembly process.

Huge thanks to @JimLee-Lightcarbon for amazing support, communication and outstanding delivery process. Can't recommend LightCarbon enough!

LCE930 (size small)
Custom Paint per spec by LCE before shipment
RideWrap
Bafang m820
Bafang 410Wh Battery
LCE 27.5 carbon wheels w/Maxxis Ardent 2.4
LCE Carbon integrated flat handlebar
160 Fox Factory 36E / 150 Fox Float DPS
PNW Ridge Dropper
Tektro Orion 4 piston brakes - 180mm
Shimano Deore 11 HG
Riding weight: 20kg

LCE930_Left_1280.jpg

Last edited:

cwoodffr

Jan 4, 2024
Toronto
Anyone else having most of the small fasteners rusting? The ones on the rubber pivot flap and the ones that hold the cover on the bottom of the motor. They look really bad and will need replacing.

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
Anyone else having most of the small fasteners rusting? The ones on the rubber pivot flap and the ones that hold the cover on the bottom of the motor. They look really bad and will need replacing.
Same here, that looks awful

aledavi

Mar 4, 2024
tarragona
Hello
How far away should the speed sensor magnet be placed?
how you have it installed.
I have had to supplement the sensor and I still find it far away
greetings

robk

Jun 12, 2024
USA
Hello
How far away should the speed sensor magnet be placed?
how you have it installed.
I have had to supplement the sensor and I still find it far away
greetings
I see someone answered with the Bafang spec (10-20mm). My magnet is 16mm from the sensor and works perfectly.

robk

Jun 12, 2024
USA
Same. I saw them start to rust almost immediately. Replaced with better quality M4 x 6mm screws. Also noticed the Banfang motor bolts were developing rust in the hex heads. Cleaned with WD-40 and Q-Tip to remove rust, added a coat of grease with a Q-Tip (will see if that helps...).
1722193027131.png

Utility

Aug 31, 2023
Tahoe
Anybody have this issue with lower shock mount hardware having play? Have put new bushings in shock eyelet and new mounting hardware as well. Problem still persists. I measured and the bolt is about .15mm smaller than bushing. The only thing I could think of is that the manufacturing tolerance of mounting hardware, causing the play.

borysgo2

Feb 1, 2023
Ireland
Anybody have this issue with lower shock mount hardware having play? Have put new bushings in shock eyelet and new mounting hardware as well. Problem still persists. I measured and the bolt is about .15mm smaller than bushing. The only thing I could think of is that the manufacturing tolerance of mounting hardware, causing the play.
Yes, the lower shock mount has a bit smaller diameter, and the shock rattles a bit. The solution I came with is - I bought M8 shimm washer set from 0,1mm to 0,5mm and I sandwiched it in between lower shock hardware and frame. Now the lower bushing is tight in frame and there is no play at all.

Regards

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
Yes, since day 1.
I thought it was because I have generic hardware from AliExpress and never ordered DVO hardware to match my shock.
I’m gonna try with DVO hardware and see if there is still a small play.
But I like @borysgo2 solution

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Yes, since day 1.
I thought it was because I have generic hardware from AliExpress and never ordered DVO hardware to match my shock.
I’m gonna try with DVO hardware and see if there is still a small play.
But I like @borysgo2 solution
The same on my LCES1075, in add of shim washers, I have also machined the screw tightening side to use one countersunk head screw. To avoid any play of the axis

Goff

Mar 2, 2023
New Zealand
Same here I used a longer pin and cut to suite the frame

robk

Jun 12, 2024
USA
Sounds like some others have had the same issue. I have not. Just for reference my rear shock is a Fox Float DPS. I purchased a Fox bushing kit of M8 x 21.8mm bushing kit (I think the length can be influenced a tiny bit by paint thickness so best to measure with a caliper). I can't detect any play at the ends of the bushing or between the bolt and the bushing.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Building mine up next week!
Hello Rob,

Go for 43V or 48V battery.
Recently I saw Bafang started to ship 43V motors with reduced power to 10A. Dont know why. You can flash there then 43V and 13A firmware.

Or better to go for 48V and firmware v12.1 which is from April 2024. Can help you with this firmwares and settings.
1722694211502.png

4812E = 48V and 12A peak.

With DPC245 display (fw version 1.2) you will be able to connect to GO+ and set power levels. Unfortunately I have not seen yet on M820 possibility to set Assistance level %, like on M510 FC2.0. :(

Last edited:

Utility

Aug 31, 2023
Tahoe
Question for the ones riding this frame with a coil shock, are you easily blowing through the travel? With an airshock I find I need lots of tokens to make it more progressive. I like to have a coil shock but I am afraid the leverage curve is not progressive enough..
Yes, the frames suspension design is very linear, not ideal for coils. Had to switch to air shock and Max volume spacers to get support. The 150mm travel dosent make this problem any better, would be nice to have 160-170mm travel in rear with a flip chip that makes kinematics more progressive.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles