12430442-78E6-4DE7-B052-FDA5740A595A.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020
lake Tahoe
Here at sea otter and specialized told me about another month for the SL

Mahle 1.2 with 50nm. More battery capacity
No Evo version but has adjustability for head angle and rear H/L
View attachment 112324
It would appear that the various rumors over the life of this forum discussion are starting to align. The early spy photos from the Swiss testing indicate a larger down tube (i.e. bigger battery= more weight), adjustable HS geo, Mastermind and likely elimination of the shock/ST strut. S sizing?
A tweaked Mahle 1.2 motor by software or hardware? Achieved without more motor noise and significant weight increase? All worthy upgrades, will there be a frameset only option? Mullet wheels? Timing in May, now suggested by several sources makes sense now that the G1 inventory appears to have been filtered.

Last edited:

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
It would appear that the various rumors over the lift of this forum discussion are starting to align. The early spy photos from the Swiss testing indicate a larger down tube (i.e. bigger battery= more weight), adjustable HS geo, Mastermind and likely elimination of the shock/ST strut. likely S sizing.
A tweaked Mahle 1.2 motor by software or hardware? C 50W be achieved without more motor noise and significant weight increase? All worthy upgrades, wii there be a frameset only option? Mullet wheels? Timing in early May, now suggested by several sources makes sense now that the G1 inventory appears to be low.

The rep did mention it will be around the same weight. I’m guessing a little bit more

Mentioned there will be an sworks when i asked. Everyone else was hush hush about the info, but didn’t deny an SL is coming soon…..

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin

View attachment 112324

You were told no Evo version? Really? That seems counterintuitive.
That would put the Relay in a class of one with no competition really.
Hoping you are incorrect.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
I wonder if the new Mahle motor will still be gear driven. I believe the reliability has been much better than the belt driven brose, certainly before the upgrades for the Gen 3 FF.
I doubt they could get to 50NM from the same Mahle motor even with some tweaks/software. I imagine that it may be a new motor.
Don’t really want a heavier bike or it sort of defeats the object.
With KSL Geo being as it is it’s hard to where to pitch this bike. The bit of extra power makes sense to differentiate them.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
The ceo had a drunken bet with the guys from marketing - move the release date back by 1 day for every internet " fact" that pops up. Then engineering got in on the fun, each morning the team has to skull a shot of bull for each false rumor in exchange for a hug from advertising for the true ones.

A test rider has been recording - it's a super long silent movie with lots of torque about handling

• Haha
Reactions: Dax

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Specialized already has a 50 nm motor and a 530 wh battery (on the Como and Tero).

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
I had a call from my bike shop owner yesterday that they would be released on the the 5th and that there was 2 models in the first batch the Sworks and another spec which i paid no attention to as i wanted an Sworks

He has told me it will be available on the 5th to pick up and the Sworks weighs 17kg, i am a bit on the fence as i have just bought the gen 3 Sworks.

this was my original SL i sold a year ago

20200911_173249.jpg

h3ld

Aug 30, 2020
Heidelberg
I had a call from my bike shop owner yesterday that they would be released on the the 5th and that there was 2 models in the first batch the Sworks and another spec which i paid no attention to as i wanted an Sworks

He has told me it will be available on the 5th to pick up and the Sworks weighs 17kg, i am a bit on the fence as i have just bought the gen 3 Sworks.

View attachment 112362
Sick looking bike!

Staff member
Subscriber
Jul 15, 2020
FORUM
This is possibly the most diverse thread on the forum with more Segways than ... a Segway shop.

I really dont understand, what u have tell imaginary storys that u will have new sl on 5 may ...thats...like i say i will sleep with Margot Robie next week....

I think that's exaggerating or one-upmanship ? He said the 5th of May - two weeks away, you've said next week.

What's poor Margot Robbie done to deserve being brought into this thread ? Can we please keep an sexual references out of the thread it's difficult enough to moderate as it is.

Unless Margot Robie (one b) is the name of one of your sheep and you're actually stating a fact ? In which case, can I request that you don't post in either "Show us your ride footage" or "Pic of the day" for the next few weeks.

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
That would put the Relay in a class of one with no competition really.
Hoping you are incorrect.
i guess as they got the kenevo sl as the enduro, and the Levo FF as the evo, it makes sense the lightest one been the trail bike stumpjumper/Levo sl.

The epic evo makes a good trail bike and snaps at the stumpjumpers heels a bit! It makes sense that the new Levo sl seems to borrow from the epic evo frame. I think it’s going to be a great trail bike no matter what, but those wanting a enduro or aggressive version of the Levo SL need to look towards the KS.

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada

View attachment 112362
Beautiful SL. Since you just got the Levo and I think you have a Fuel EXe too?, maybe wait to see how reliability on these new Levo SLs go before picking one up?

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin

i guess as they got the kenevo sl as the enduro, and the Levo FF as the evo, it makes sense the lightest one been the trail bike stumpjumper/Levo sl.

The epic evo makes a good trail bike and snaps at the stumpjumpers heels a bit! It makes sense that the new Levo sl seems to borrow from the epic evo frame. I think it’s going to be a great trail bike no matter what, but those wanting a enduro or aggressive version of the Levo SL need to look towards the KS.

I hear ya, just don't understand the need for a motor for anything less than lots of steep riding, which short trail bikes aren't ideal for.

Glad I still have my Relay deposit.

I know the KSL is a great product (and I can easily buy a barely used frame on PB at a fair price) but it has a couple issues that I can't get past. Basically too slack sta and that motor noise.

SusXT

Nov 3, 2022
Belgium

View attachment 112324
And did they mentioned the new motor will be much more silent? The 1.1 makes hell of a noise. It's a nice bike but I want to sell the bike because of the noise. Hope it will be beter with my 4th motor in 2 years.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
The 1.1 is clearly a higher pitch but it’s not noisier than all but the latest motors. I also wish it was a lower pitch noise though. It’s not a game changer but it would be nice. I prefer a quiet bike going down and SL is pretty good in that respect.
Quiet going up and down would be nice though, I juts hope that it remains a Trail Bike.
I have an S-Works SL now and really do enjoy it and it’s more than enough power for most of my riding. In fact I ride my Epic Evo the most!
I do quite fancy a FF though for the rest do the family to use, and me occasionaly.
The new SL may be the second E-bike I need though!

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
And did they mentioned the new motor will be much more silent? The 1.1 makes hell of a noise. It's a nice bike but I want to sell the bike because of the noise. Hope it will be beter with my 4th motor in 2 years.
I didn’t ask. Just asked about when the SL will be released, motor power and s-works. They mentioned more battery capacity and new frame with adjustability similar to stumpy.

I really enjoyed my Levo SL. My favorite ebike at the time when i rode solo. Since i mostly ride with a large group of FF ebikers I decided to sell my SL. 50-60nm would be the sweet spot for me on a lightweight ebike and I’ve been waiting for an updated specialized model. Ideally a gen2 KSL with updated motor, but i can go for the new Levo SL as well. At this point, whichever comes first….
1682265312742.png

Jun 12, 2020
lake Tahoe

View attachment 112362
Sound about right, 50 Nm motor and bigger battery. At the claimed 17 Kg (37.48 lbs) for the 23' S works SL v2, this would put it about (1 lb) over the V1 model (36.5 lbs). Let's hope so. Quiter motor? we shall see.

Last edited:

SusXT

Nov 3, 2022
Belgium
The 1.1 is clearly a higher pitch but it’s not noisier than all but the latest motors. I also wish it was a lower pitch noise though. It’s not a game changer but it would be nice. I prefer a quiet bike going down and SL is pretty good in that respect.
Quiet going up and down would be nice though, I juts hope that it remains a Trail Bike.
I have an S-Works SL now and really do enjoy it and it’s more than enough power for most of my riding. In fact I ride my Epic Evo the most!
I do quite fancy a FF though for the rest do the family to use, and me occasionaly.
The new SL may be the second E-bike I need though!
Everybody who rides with me says the SL motor makes a lot of noise. Every other motor I heared makes less noise. Even the one on a 5/6y old E-bike. I hope with my new engine that problem is solved for good, not only for 2-300km's. When it has not been ridden yet, the first 2-300km it sounds perfect. Fingers crossed.

c0stunga

Apr 12, 2023
Germany
There will be no bike on 5 May from Specialized😅
At this point I won't trust any statement anymore about the new Levo SL 😅
If the weather wasn't that bad here at the moment, I would have already bought the current LSL. Tired of waiting and despite the motor noise this bike seems pretty perfect for me...

• Haha

Borut

Mar 21, 2021
Slovenia
At this point I won't trust any statement anymore about the new Levo SL 😅
If the weather wasn't that bad here at the moment, I would have already buyed the current LSL. Tired of waiting and despite the motor noise this bike seems pretty perfect for me...
I buy new Lumen ...i cant tell how i regret...i still drive levo sl every day

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Everybody who rides with me says the SL motor makes a lot of noise. Every other motor I heared makes less noise. Even the one on a 5/6y old E-bike. I hope with my new engine that problem is solved for good, not only for 2-300km's. When it has not been ridden yet, the first 2-300km it sounds perfect. Fingers crossed.
Are you currently on an SL? Did you last motor get louder over time. How did it sound different, just louder?

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
It's already been verified that the 2 specs to be released first (the Comp & the S-works) come standard as mullet with a flip chip to make them full 29er if desired.
I just can't believe that a 130 trail bike comes standard as a mullet.
There is also the little issue that the Evo far outsells the standard SJ.

SusXT

Nov 3, 2022
Belgium
Are you currently on an SL? Did you last motor get louder over time. How did it sound different, just louder?
Yes, an SL. The sounds excist of two tones. A high tone, which we all know as the F1-sound of the motor. That sounds get a little louder in time. The second sound is a low tone, from the gearbox which gets alot louder in time. It's like the grease mutes the sound but the grease gets thinner so it mutes the sound less and less.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Ok. My SL only has the higher pitched tone that stays consistent but I recently rode another one and it had the lower tone you are talking about. It was strange to hear it as mine doesn’t have it. I wonder if the ones with the lower second tone have a slight issue that’s likely to appear.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
It's already been verified that the 2 specs to be released first (the Comp & the S-works) come standard as mullet with a flip chip to make them full 29er if desired.
I just can't believe that a 130 trail bike comes standard as a mullet.
There is also the little issue that the Evo far outsells the standard SJ.
Is it confirmed that it will be 130mm travel? That seems a bit backward from the current version.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles