2024 Strive:ON

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Yep but the sponginess returns about 30 sec later. Gonna take it out and get some hard braking done to bed in pads, maybe that will help. Haven’t got any mineral fluid and bleed kit was last used with synthetic… will try a zip tie on the levers tonight. Off to Welsh wales Thursday and keen for a shakedown hoon!

Get one of the pots that sits on top of the lever and do a gravity bleed without syringes, I've always found this does a better job than the bleed kits to get all of the air out. You could also take a bit of length off the front hose while your at it if you're bothered.

Bike looks very nice!

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
I'm nearly convinced about switching from my Focus Sam2 to the Strive. Questions on sizing. I'm 5'8 and sit in the middle of the two sizes (small and medium) and the Focus is a medium. Is anyone in the same situation and having to choose? What size have you gone for?

M AP

Dec 27, 2021
Milan, Italy
I'm nearly convinced about switching from my Focus Sam2 to the Strive. Questions on sizing. I'm 5'8 and sit in the middle of the two sizes (small and medium) and the Focus is a medium. Is anyone in the same situation and having to choose? What size have you gone for?
I'm 6' and in the middle of M and L. I decided to go for the M after watching a few tests online.

Last edited:

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
Personally I think the reach number is the most important so what's your preferred reach? The current Focus Sam2 in M is 470mm reach and the Strive in M is 475mm but S is 450mm, could you give up 20mm of reach compared to your current bike?
Frame sizing seems inconsistent across brands but reach numbers don't lie. I'm 5'10 and personal preference is 470mm reach, my Trek Rail in size L was 465/470mm and on a YT Decoy I'm an XL so I popped to a Canyon experience centre to get sized up and with Canyon I'd be an M.

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
Bike looks great, if I had not just got the new Levo SL less than 2 weeks ago I might have pulled the trigger on this, my wife would go nuts if I tried to explain it was the right time to get another full fat bike ☹️

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Also bear in mind reach is constant between bikes when standing but on the Canyon will feel shorter when seated due to the steep STA compared to most bikes

Last edited:

Sind

Mar 9, 2021
Surrey
Personally I think the reach number is the most important so what's your preferred reach? The current Focus Sam2 in M is 470mm reach and the Strive in M is 475mm but S is 450mm, could you give up 20mm of reach compared to your current bike?
Frame sizing seems inconsistent across brands but reach numbers don't lie. I'm 5'10 and personal preference is 470mm reach, my Trek Rail in size L was 465/470mm and on a YT Decoy I'm an XL so I popped to a Canyon experience centre to get sized up and with Canyon I'd be an M.
Thanks, Orbea QC. You may be right about Reach to help with the decision and finding out more. My 2021 Focus Sam2 in medium has a reach of 450mm, which is a match to the small and likely the right choice

billium

Jul 10, 2022
Sussex
Thanks, Orbea QC. You may be right about Reach to help with the decision and finding out more. My 2021 Focus Sam2 in medium has a reach of 450mm, which is a match to the small and likely the right choice
I'm wrestling with the reach too. I am 5'6" so according to Canyon a small.
But their small reach at 450 is the same as other's medium (Trek, Whyte, Levo) so is the 'small' small enough for me?
I suspect it is given that if I go with 12 deg backsweep bars, it will subtract about 20mm.

Do Canyon have anywhere in UK I can visit to sit on one to be sure?

M AP

Dec 27, 2021
Milan, Italy
I used the same to validate my choice for the M. I'm using a Giant Reign that in L size has a reach of 475mm, exactly the same the Strive:ON has in M size.

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
I'm wrestling with the reach too. I am 5'6" so according to Canyon a small.
But their small reach at 450 is the same as other's medium (Trek, Whyte, Levo) so is the 'small' small enough for me?
I suspect it is given that if I go with 12 deg backsweep bars, it will subtract about 20mm.

Do Canyon have anywhere in UK I can visit to sit on one to be sure?
Again only my opinion but reach is the number I’d go off rather than the conventional I’m a “S / M / L / XL”

In @Rob Rides EMTB video he does mention the sizing, I’m pretty sure he’s an XL in most brands but opted for an L in the Canyon.

There is an ‘Canyon experience’ centre in the Surrey hills you can get measured up and sit on Canyon bikes.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
The L is longer than YT Decoy in XXL!

Ignore the size tag and go on Geo. Large has a 500 reach which is definitely long compared to other larges.

Its almost as if the Strive:On relative sizes to other ebikes are M / L / XL / XXL and a Small doesn't exist...

Compared to other ebikes mentioned above, the L is similar in reach to S5 levo!!
Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 18.24.09.png

redrhino

Mar 24, 2020
california
Any thoughts on the weight of this bike compared to the 2023 Orbea Wild? The advertised weight is quite a bit higher and I'm wondering where all that extra weight would be coming from with similar spec and bosch motors. @Rob Rides EMTB how would you compare the ride feel compared to the Wild?

billium

Jul 10, 2022
Sussex
Again only my opinion but reach is the number I’d go off rather than the conventional I’m a “S / M / L / XL”

In @Rob Rides EMTB video he does mention the sizing, I’m pretty sure he’s an XL in most brands but opted for an L in the Canyon.

There is an ‘Canyon experience’ centre in the Surrey hills you can get measured up and sit on Canyon bikes.
Thanks, I found their web site at 'Just Pedal' - Strive not showing up in their demo list so I emailed them.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
canceled my cfr underdog and ordered a cfr instead as I will try some e-bike racing this year and felt that I wanted better damping such as x2 shock and better wheels.

I am 184 cm and order a size M, I went for reach instead of size so I really hope it is the right size for me.

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
canceled my cfr underdog and ordered a cfr instead as I will try some e-bike racing this year and felt that I wanted better damping such as x2 shock and better wheels.

I am 184 cm and order a size M, I went for reach instead of size so I really hope it is the right size for me.
I am interested to hear how people get along with size on this. I am 183 and am also considering downsizing to medium. I do wonder about it though, the seattube will be quite short and I dunno if it will need high rise bars or what.

The bike is not out in US so I will have some time to see how people are getting on with sizing since Canyon has thrown a curve ball here with this bike being sized up so big. The strive large wheelbase is more than my DH 29er.

On a side note, this does seem like the best bike going right now. Sure specialized may release a new kenevo ff or something, but the pricing on this is so good, I would be hard pressed to pick up a different bike now. I thought about a crestline before but theres no way now that we are seeing this sort of pricing.

M AP

Dec 27, 2021
Milan, Italy

I'm 184cm too and ordered an M. Not yet delivered.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
I am interested to hear how people get along with size on this. I am 183 and am also considering downsizing to medium. I do wonder about it though, the seattube will be quite short and I dunno if it will need high rise bars or what.

The bike is not out in US so I will have some time to see how people are getting on with sizing since Canyon has thrown a curve ball here with this bike being sized up so big. The strive large wheelbase is more than my DH 29er.

On a side note, this does seem like the best bike going right now. Sure specialized may release a new kenevo ff or something, but the pricing on this is so good, I would be hard pressed to pick up a different bike now. I thought about a crestline before but theres no way now that we are seeing this sort of pricing.

Yes i was only looking at the reach and not the sizes , i will be back with the size review if medium was good.

CaptainPuke

Nov 3, 2020
Top North

More wittering. I might dig my go pro out and get some riding footage out soon. Mebbie.

Had set the air pressures in forks and shock to factory ball park specs but was bottoming out - checked when I got home and both had dropped right off - I wasn’t aware the pressure drops off and has to be done a few times. School boy errors eh!

Out riding proper enduro tomorrow (two stroke off road dirt bikes, obvs) but hoping for an hour on the Canyon in the evening on some better known trails, well keen now the suspension is dialled in woot!

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Some spare stuff that might be useful for future servicing etc

Bashguard.

Spacers if fitting different fork and you want a higher stem stack:

Headset bearings
Back to this - I thought it was a good idea to add a replacement bash guard, but are the headset bearings necessary - I thought these would be a fairly common part that you could get from most bike shops when needed, or not?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Back to this - I thought it was a good idea to add a replacement bash guard, but are the headset bearings necessary - I thought these would be a fairly common part that you could get from most bike shops when needed, or not?
Headset bearings are not necessary. I added them as it reduces the time I need in the future to find the correct bearing and faff around with ordering etc! Probably cheaper doing it your way but I went for path of least resistance!

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK

More wittering. I might dig my go pro out and get some riding footage out soon. Mebbie.

Had set the air pressures in forks and shock to factory ball park specs but was bottoming out - checked when I got home and both had dropped right off - I wasn’t aware the pressure drops off and has to be done a few times. School boy errors eh!

Out riding proper enduro tomorrow (two stroke off road dirt bikes, obvs) but hoping for an hour on the Canyon in the evening on some better known trails, well keen now the suspension is dialled in woot!
Thoughts on the bike? And how does the colour look in person?

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Headset bearings are not necessary. I added them as it reduces the time I need in the future to find the correct bearing and faff around with ordering etc! Probably cheaper doing it your way but I went for path of least resistance!
Hah, thanks! TBH, I've never replaced a headset bearing in my life. How long do they usually last? And does that mean you'll keep this bike long enough to require a service?!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles