Strive:ON problems

S1mmo

Aug 30, 2023
Yorkshire
@Tieff We have similar idiots where we ride but thankfully no-one has tried to knock me off my bike yet, they just deliberately stand in the way to try and block the trails.
I'm glad to hear that you haven't got any serious injuries but it could have been a lot worse.
These sad people really annoy me, why can't we all enjoy the outdoors together with respect for eachother?

Tieff

Jan 20, 2024
Switzerland
@Tieff We have similar idiots where we ride but thankfully no-one has tried to knock me off my bike yet, they just deliberately stand in the way to try and block the trails.
I'm glad to hear that you haven't got any serious injuries but it could have been a lot worse.
These sad people really annoy me, why can't we all enjoy the outdoors together with respect for eachother?
@S1mmo: Yes, exactly, thank you for your words. That's what I think too. There is enough space for all of us. I am aware that there are idiots on our side too. At least for me, I am not an aggressive rider (quite the opposite), especially not on shared paths. I have also had a hiker come towards me on a downhill trail (on all fours). I almost crashed so as not to endanger him, and I just said "hello" in a friendly way... (I think that was enough for him to realize that he had made a mistake. In any case, I never saw him there again 😂 ).

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
Yes, he did! Don't know why. I wasn't going too fast for the width of the path and it wouldn't have been a problem, but there seems to be a strong rivalry between hikers and bikers in the forest. The only difference between us is the first letter... :).
And yes, the more important news is that the Battery latch is doing it's job perfectly (up to now).

Thank you for your good wishes. This morning I got a few more bruises, but nothing serious... 🧑‍🦽
My....oh my!
People should breath more, and think twice before commit on such things.

They don't know who they are knocking out, and it can get sideways.......

We've got Trailrunners, but when they use DH tracks (made by MTBers btw...), there is some good sense and they move to the side.
Well... I hope good sense continues, because the 1st one that stands on the trail, if it's on some akward place, I won't be able to break!...

Last edited:

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
I have a problem with my striveON. when I pedal, the engine shuts off at like 20-21 km instead of 25 km. Can it be fixed somehow?

jakeu

Jul 30, 2024
Switzerland
I, too, have endured the notorious battery latch issue on my 2023 Strive:ON CFR LTD.

After spending 1h30 in a chat with Canyon (since their Swiss phone line was constantly busy), I was eventually forwarded to 2nd level support.

I kept begging to simply get the new updated spare latch sent out, but the 1st level support was simply not capable of finding the spare part despite be giving them part numbers and everything one could possibly need.

As already mentioned, after a lot of fighting, the issue was finally resolved - 2nd level support called my phone and said "Yeah I don't know what my co-workers are doing, but we got all spare parts in stock and are sending you out the parts tomorrow".

Will be updating this thread next week when my parts arrive.

Meanwhile, here are the fixes I've done to be able to ride:
The 3D printed latch fix was not enough alone, but the ZIP ties at the latch hole and the ones holding the battery fixed it for now.

Greetings from Switzerland.

20240730_022226.jpg 20240730_022219.jpg 20240729_231245.jpg 20240729_230617.jpg

Tieff

Jan 20, 2024
Switzerland
I, too, have endured the notorious battery latch issue on my 2023 Strive:ON CFR LTD.

After spending 1h30 in a chat with Canyon (since their Swiss phone line was constantly busy), I was eventually forwarded to 2nd level support.

I kept begging to simply get the new updated spare latch sent out, but the 1st level support was simply not capable of finding the spare part despite be giving them part numbers and everything one could possibly need.

As already mentioned, after a lot of fighting, the issue was finally resolved - 2nd level support called my phone and said "Yeah I don't know what my co-workers are doing, but we got all spare parts in stock and are sending you out the parts tomorrow".

Will be updating this thread next week when my parts arrive.

Meanwhile, here are the fixes I've done to be able to ride:
The 3D printed latch fix was not enough alone, but the ZIP ties at the latch hole and the ones holding the battery fixed it for now.

Greetings from Switzerland.

View attachment 144543 View attachment 144544 View attachment 144545 View attachment 144546
I think what @InRustWeTrust is experiencing is not the usual latch issue.

And by the way, I wouldn't count on the new Bosch (plastic) latch. The two small additional plastic tabs won't last in the long run too. If you had let me know sooner, I would have sent you mine for free. It's sitting here on my table right now, new and unused (I don't trust that thing). If you want to be on the safe side, buy the Cascade Components aluminum latch, it's done a really good job for me so far... no zip ties any more...

jakeu

Jul 30, 2024
Switzerland
I think what @InRustWeTrust is experiencing is not the usual latch issue.

And by the way, I wouldn't count on the new Bosch (plastic) latch. The two small additional plastic tabs won't last in the long run too. If you had let me know sooner, I would have sent you mine for free. It's sitting here on my table right now, new and unused (I don't trust that thing). If you want to be on the safe side, buy the Cascade Components aluminum latch, it's done a really good job for me so far... no zip ties any more...
Oh, yeah I know, just wanted to add my bits to the whole Strive:ON thread here!

That's too kind! All good, though, waiting for their spare parts to arrive; besides the latch, I'm also getting their mounting kit, since one of the rubber pieces supporting the battery was lost.

1722371102752.png

You're right, though, the plastic one will wear down eventually, and if I'm unlucky, the Cascade Components latch will be sold out by then. I will probably start putting some money to the side towards it, so that I have the peace of mind like you do.

With the Cascade Components latch, do you experience any sort of battery movement? Or did it even fix that as well? I really want to be sure that it's THAT good for such a price before I pull the trigger.

Tieff

Jan 20, 2024
Switzerland
Oh, yeah I know, just wanted to add my bits to the whole Strive:ON thread here!

That's too kind! All good, though, waiting for their spare parts to arrive; besides the latch, I'm also getting their mounting kit, since one of the rubber pieces supporting the battery was lost.

View attachment 144561

You're right, though, the plastic one will wear down eventually, and if I'm unlucky, the Cascade Components latch will be sold out by then. I will probably start putting some money to the side towards it, so that I have the peace of mind like you do.

With the Cascade Components latch, do you experience any sort of battery movement? Or did it even fix that as well? I really want to be sure that it's THAT good for such a price before I pull the trigger.
@jakeu:
You can have the (new) Bosch latch any time you want, we are both living in Switzerland, so it would not take long to send it to you.
For my experience with the Cascade Components latch please see my posts before in this forum. I'm doing a long term test and (more or less) frequently report my findings here. As for the battery movement please also see before (also my installation instruction), if it is installed correctly there is absolutely no battery movement. On the contrary, the latch is so tight that I have not been able to detect any movement of the battery, even if you grab the battery (respectively the latch) and shake the bike as hard as you can. So far, even when riding on rough trails, there has been no battery noise or loosening. As I said, so far (!). I will continue to observe and report here, but it looks like the Cascade latch makes an extremely good job. I'll be the first one to report if it would fail.
And if you want to be absolutely sure please do also the thread lock mod from @Mario Antony (see earlier in this forum). Because the latch is not the only cause for battery movement or battery noise.

Last edited:

jakeu

Jul 30, 2024
Switzerland
@jakeu:
You can have the (new) Bosch latch any time you want, we are both living in Switzerland, so it would not take long to send it to you.
For my experience with the Cascade Components latch please see my posts before in this forum. I'm doing a long term test and (more or less) frequently report my findings here. As for the battery movement please also see before (also my installation instruction), if it is installed correctly there is absolutely no battery movement. On the contrary, the latch is so tight that I have not been able to detect any movement of the battery, even if you grab the battery (respectively the latch) and shake the bike as hard as you can. So far, even when riding on rough trails, there has been no battery noise or loosening. As I said, so far (!). I will continue to observe and report here, but it looks like the Cascade latch makes an extremely good job. I'll be the first one to report if it would fail.
And if you want to be absolutely sure please do also the thread lock mod from @Mario Antony (see earlier in this forum). Because the latch is not the only cause for battery movement or battery noise.
Sounds good, thank you very much for the reply!

jakeu

Jul 30, 2024
Switzerland
The updated replacement latch arrived within two days (quite incredible). I've installed this 3D printed spacer as a precaution as well.

20240804_154931.jpg

I've also added these two zip ties as someone suggested, since without them, I had some side-by-side battery movement going on:

20240804_162806.jpg

With this new latch, the 3D printed spacer and the zip ties, I have ZERO battery movement and have yet to encounter any cut-offs. It's been riding incredible, and I'm now one happy Strive:ON owner again!

Here's a pic from today:

20240806_161405.jpg

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
French Provence High Alps
I just bought 2nd hand strive on ltd on canyon website , do you think I have to prépare myself to this latch issue or canyon check obviously this area on each their bike ?

Tieff

Jan 20, 2024
Switzerland
I just bought 2nd hand strive on ltd on canyon website , do you think I have to prépare myself to this latch issue or canyon check obviously this area on each their bike ?
You definitively will have the latch issue, sooner or later, depending on your riding style. So better be prepared for it. Even if Canyon checked your bike and maybe put one of the reinforced Bosch latches in, you will get issues. However, thanks to the extensive experience of the members here in the forum, there are now some effective countermeasures. The improvement of the reinforced latch as shown above, the zip-tie method, and the Cascade Components replacement latch made of aluminum. And definitely don't forget to check all the screws, including the upper battery holder in the down tube, and of course the famous @Mario Antony thread lock mod (see detailed description in one of Mario Antony's posts)!

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
You definitively will have the latch issue, sooner or later, depending on your riding style. So better be prepared for it. Even if Canyon checked your bike and maybe put one of the reinforced Bosch latches in, you will get issues. However, thanks to the extensive experience of the members here in the forum, there are now some effective countermeasures. The improvement of the reinforced latch as shown above, the zip-tie method, and the Cascade Components replacement latch made of aluminum. And definitely don't forget to check all the screws, including the upper battery holder in the down tube, and of course the famous @Mario Antony thread lock mod (see detailed description in one of Mario Antony's posts)!
how to check upper bolt ? do you need extra mega long screw driver ?!?

Tieff

Jan 20, 2024
Switzerland
how to check upper bolt ? do you need extra mega long screw driver ?!?
Haha 🤣, please read the post from @Mario Antony.... It should be enough if you have slim and long forearms and can grip the upper battery holder with the contacts. The screws for loosening are on the outside of the down tube (the two silver screws at the top of the down tube that face to the bottom if the bike stands on it's wheels) . It's not the most pleasant job, but afterwards you can be sure that everything is secure. Because it's not just the latch that is responsible for the battery movement!
Then you should take out the entire battery holder and apply threadlocker to all the screws and tighten them firmly. Then reinstall the whole thing. Don't forget to pull out the cover plates of the cable duct (this should be easy) so that you can take out the battery holder. And secure the three cables on each side with zip ties so that you can put them back into the same cable duct later.

Last edited:

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
Famous... eheheh!
😉
Cheers

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
Haha 🤣, please read the post from @Mario Antony.... It should be enough if you have slim and long forearms and can grip the upper battery holder with the contacts. The screws for loosening are on the outside of the down tube (the two silver screws at the top of the down tube that face to the bottom if the bike stands on it's wheels) . It's not the most pleasant job, but afterwards you can be sure that everything is secure. Because it's not just the latch that is responsible for the battery movement!
Then you should take out the entire battery holder and apply threadlocker to all the screws and tighten them firmly. Then reinstall the whole thing. Don't forget to pull out the cover plates of the cable duct (this should be easy) so that you can take out the battery holder. And secure the three cables on each side with zip ties so that you can put them back into the same cable duct later.
There are tools from Bosch.
Doing this job, I noticed my left arm ain't slim enough, and I'm right hander.

If you're veternarian and used to have cows, this will be a peace of cake! Ehehehehhe

Happy rides, too all!

Last edited:

Tieff

Jan 20, 2024
Switzerland
There are tools from Bosch.
Doing this job, I noticed my left arm ain't slim enough, and I'm right hander.

If you're veternarian and used to have cows, this will be a peace of cake! Ehehehehhe

Happy ridden, too all!
With helpful I mean of course the hint to the Bosch tools, not the vet stuff... Now you've created this image in my mind and every time I reach into the battery compartment of my Strive:On I have to think of cows and where I put my hands... 🤭😖

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
not sure why Bosch would have a tool for the job......their system consists of rail that the battery slides into and the rail also holds the connector a the top and the clip for the battery clamp at the bottom. So no need to have to stick your arm up the downtube. The Strive does not use the Bosch Rail so I think any tool to hold the connector at the top would need to be an ingenious DIY job!!.................maybe a modified litter picker!

Tieff

Jan 20, 2024
Switzerland
not sure why Bosch would have a tool for the job......their system consists of rail that the battery slides into and the rail also holds the connector a the top and the clip for the battery clamp at the bottom. So no need to have to stick your arm up the downtube. The Strive does not use the Bosch Rail so I think any tool to hold the connector at the top would need to be an ingenious DIY job!!.................maybe a modified litter picker!
Yes, I had the same idea with that litter picker, let's test it out....

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
do you think there is the new or the old latch in a strive on ltd bought outled the 8th of august ? 😁 I heard a bosch rail in the newer 🤔 any photos/informations about that ?!

what are the torx size for the 2 bolts to be loctited ?

is there other bolt to unscrew before reaching these 2 torx ?

if yes what are these bolt ? allen or torx ?

is 300mm screwdriver enough to reach these bolts ?

images I found on thread

IMG_3113.jpeg 1704076491655.png

Last edited:

Tieff

Jan 20, 2024
Switzerland
I honestly do not know if Canyon puts the new latch into their outlet bikes. At least I heard they put new batteries in the used bikes. In this case there is a good chance you will get a new latch too.

As far as I remember it is T25, but I'm not sure anymore, @Mario Antony, can you help?

There are in total 6 bolts at the upper battery bracket, please have a look here: 2024 Strive:ON (from the famous(!) @Mario Antony thread lock mod).
You cannot acces the screws number 1 in the Mario Antony post above, if you don't remove the entire upper battery bracket! Also I would not try to unscrew the two bolts you see from the open end of the downtube (just to put threadlocker on it). It is very unlikely that you will be able to put it back together properly afterwards, because you cannot (or at least hardly) see what you are doing. It is much better, as Mario Antony described, to remove the entire upper battery bracket and apply threadlocker to all(!) screws. Although this is obviously a lot more work, it is certainly the better method.
All the inner screws are torx!
I didn't measure it, but I don't think a 300mm screwdriver is long enough (the 750wh battery is already 480mm, without latch...). You have to take into account that you can still put your arm into the down tube, but then you won't be able to see what you're doing. And you should also be able to tighten the screws with a reasonable torque. I think it's really only possible to do this properly if you remove the entire upper battery bracket.

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
I honestly do not know if Canyon puts the new latch into their outlet bikes. At least I heard they put new batteries in the used bikes. In this case there is a good chance you will get a new latch too.

As far as I remember it is T25, but I'm not sure anymore, @Mario Antony, can you help?

There are in total 6 bolts at the upper battery bracket, please have a look here: 2024 Strive:ON (from the famous(!) @Mario Antony thread lock mod).
You cannot acces the screws number 1 in the Mario Antony post above, if you don't remove the entire upper battery bracket! Also I wo8 sruld not try to unscrew the two bolts you see from the open end of the downtube (just to put threadlocker on it). It is very unlikely that you will be able to put it back together properly afterwards, because you cannot (or at least hardly) see what you are doing. It is much better, as Mario Antony described, to remove the entire upper battery bracket and apply threadlocker to all(!) screws. Although this is obviously a lot more work, it is certainly the better method.
All the inner screws are torx!
I didn't measure it, but I don't think a 300mm screwdriver is long enough (the 750wh battery is already 480mm, without latch...). You have to take into account that you can still put your arm into the down tube, but then you won't be able to see what you're doing. And you should also be able to tighten the screws with a reasonable torque. I think it's really only possible to do this properly if you remove the entire upper battery bracket.
i do not understand how to remove the entire upper bracket ?

( the 2 bolts under the upper down tube ?! )

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
OK these 2 bolts

but wonder how you but the upper bracket back , full arm can go inside without too much problem ? and you can hold the bracket temporarly to align 1st hole with 1st bolt ? easy task ?! any cables that are plugged and stop the upper bracket to fall ?

Screenshot_2024-08-10-22-52-58-57_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Tieff

Jan 20, 2024
Switzerland
On the Canyon web page you can find the exploded view of the Strive:On. They don't show the Bosch parts, but at least you can see where and how the upper battery bracket is mounted...

Tieff

Jan 20, 2024
Switzerland
OK these 2 bolts

but wonder how you but the upper bracket back , full arm can go inside without too much problem ? and you can hold the bracket temporarly to align 1st hole with 1st bolt ? easy task ?! any cables that are plugged and stop the upper bracket to fall ?

View attachment 145102
correct!
OK these 2 bolts

View attachment 145102
correct.
yes, the assembly is not easy! Please have a look above, that's why Mikerb came up with the idea of the litter picker... ;)

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
exploded view is not well detailed indeed ...

i cannot see if there are some cable that retain the upper bracket

got a pic of global view of the upper bracket outside the frame ?

Screenshot_2024-08-10-23-13-25-59_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg Screenshot_2024-08-10-23-13-33-89_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles