What did you buy your ebike this week?

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
I bought Peak Racks BYO racking units the past weekend and built a bike rack last night.

We picked them up at Peak Racks' factory in San Luis Obispo, California, USA when we finally significantly-traveled for the first time since the pandemic to reconnect with family on the other end of the state. I had a nice chat with the manager while an employee was polishing these up for packaging.

So Peak Racks is a small outfit that primarily fabricates custom commercial bike racks, but saw their business collapse when the pandemic hit. But they were able to think outside-of-the-box and shift their business toward the end-user market by developing this end-user-focused product to take advantage of the bike boom.

They are constructed from mandrel-bent and welded 8mm stainless steel rod, domestically-sourced, 95% recycled (and all their fabrication scrap is also recycled). All provided hardware is stainless steel. None of that thin-tubing-and-plastic crap typical of Amazon (we have more than our share of those, unfortunately). I'd say they're between the duty level of a built-toward-indestructible outdoor commercial rack and a cheap consumer rack, although I would say they are closer to the former than the latter in the absence of abusive usage (i.e. teenagers looking to vandalize). You can call it premium or prosumer, I guess. Aside from being tactilely and aesthetically pleasing (i.e. solid and clean), what led me to them was the fact they they actually build them to fit modern bikes. Many cheap imported racks have slots that are too narrow, as their builders do not seem to not understand that 29" x 2.6" tires are common these days. Peak Racks offers these in three widths to cover from road bikes to 3.1" tires.

The modular design allows them to be arranged a number of ways for the space you have, most obviously straight, and course at-a-slant. I did this antiparallel design myself (with obviously no claims to originality) by adding 2" to the straight spacing (18" between racks of the same direction, or 9" between adjacent racks regardless of direction. There are also risers available that allow you to vertically space out the bikes.

Disclaimer: I have no relationship with these guys other than the fact that I bought their product straight from their factory at local-pickup retail pricing. But they are a local small business that makes a cool product that works well, with lots of guilt-free features, and at a a very reasonable price. They deserve to succeed and I feel like I can at least give them a shout-out.

IMG_1076_ConvertedDNG.jpg
IMG_1077_ConvertedDNG.jpg
IMG_1078_ConvertedDNG.jpg
IMG_1079_ConvertedDNG.jpg

Jeffrey

Jul 29, 2020
Switzerland
So you're the reason there are no zee pads with any distributor.
Of course :devilish:

Joke apart the zee pads are again widely available at normal price in Switzerland since last week.
I always buy at least 10 pieces at the same time to have wholesale price.
As my standard ride in the alps is at least 1500D+/- and often muddy they wear out pretty quickly!

1624575728772.png

My last order of 10 pads was gone in 5 months... ?
So yes I will finish them before this winter ?

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
I bought Peak Racks BYO racking units the past weekend and built a bike rack last night.

We picked them up at Peak Racks' factory in San Luis Obispo, California, USA when we finally significantly-traveled for the first time since the pandemic to reconnect with family on the other end of the state. I had a nice chat with the manager while an employee was polishing these up for packaging.

So Peak Racks is a small outfit that primarily fabricates custom commercial bike racks, but saw their business collapse when the pandemic hit. But they were able to think outside-of-the-box and shift their business toward the end-user market by developing this end-user-focused product to take advantage of the bike boom.

They are constructed from mandrel-bent and welded 8mm stainless steel rod, domestically-sourced, 95% recycled (and all their fabrication scrap is also recycled). All provided hardware is stainless steel. None of that thin-tubing-and-plastic crap typical of Amazon (we have more than our share of those, unfortunately). I'd say they're between the duty level of a built-toward-indestructible outdoor commercial rack and a cheap consumer rack, although I would say they are closer to the former than the latter in the absence of abusive usage (i.e. teenagers looking to vandalize). You can call it premium or prosumer, I guess. Aside from being tactilely and aesthetically pleasing (i.e. solid and clean), what led me to them was the fact they they actually build them to fit modern bikes. Many cheap imported racks have slots that are too narrow, as their builders do not seem to not understand that 29" x 2.6" tires are common these days. Peak Racks offers these in three widths to cover from road bikes to 3.1" tires.

The modular design allows them to be arranged a number of ways for the space you have, most obviously straight, and course at-a-slant. I did this antiparallel design myself (with obviously no claims to originality) by adding 2" to the straight spacing (18" between racks of the same direction, or 9" between adjacent racks regardless of direction. There are also risers available that allow you to vertically space out the bikes.

Disclaimer: I have no relationship with these guys other than the fact that I bought their product straight from their factory at local-pickup retail pricing. But they are a local small business that makes a cool product that works well, with lots of guilt-free features, and at a a very reasonable price. They deserve to succeed and I feel like I can at least give them a shout-out.

View attachment 65169 View attachment 65170 View attachment 65172 View attachment 65173
would give 100 likes for that if I could

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
We picked them up at Peak Racks' factory in San Luis Obispo, California,

Those look nice, and they're reasonably priced, too.
The other observation is that your new rack holds eight bikes, and you have two more stand alone racks in the picture. I don't think I've owned that many bikes in my whole life!!!

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
Those look nice, and they're reasonably priced, too.
The other observation is that your new rack holds eight bikes, and you have two more stand alone racks in the picture. I don't think I've owned that many bikes in my whole life!!!

You'd be surprised what one can justify when you compare its costs (monetary, health, etc.) against illegal drugs! :ROFLMAO:

All joking aside, I've been biking for awhile. Several of those are "trophy" bikes (eg. NORBA racing, epics, etc.) that I've kept from other eras of my biking more as mementos than active-use bikes. Even in the COVID shortage, what I'll get for them isn't worth their value to me as keepsakes.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Some replacement sprockets for my sram cassette and a liner from vaude with an sqlabs seam, hope this will be a good match with my sqlabs saddle
20210628_153835.jpg

20210628_153758.jpg

Drsooty

Jul 10, 2020
Lancashire
Just put mine into my LBS today for new fork. The 160 Limited came with Rockshox 35 Gold RL (not been too impressed) but they've stood up to some hammering across Rivington/Winter Hill.

Set of older model year but new Rockshox Lyrik RCT3 Dual Air forks going on. Same travel (160mm). Saved 25% going for older model year, 2018 I think they are.

Should be able to collect Tuesday. Means I might be on the normal bike this weekend (if weather holds)... :unsure:
Hi mate, I'm thinking of getting the same forks. What do you reckon?

How are they performing for you?

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Hi mate, I'm thinking of getting the same forks. What do you reckon?

How are they performing for you?
I like them, they are huge improvement with plenty of tuning ability. Can also reduce travel if needed by 30mm, Fast and Slow rebound settings.

Drsooty

Jul 10, 2020
Lancashire
I like them, they are huge improvement with plenty of tuning ability. Can also reduce travel if needed by 30mm, Fast and Slow rebound settings.
Cheers mate. I may take the plunge.

I've also hammered my old forks RS 35 round Rivington and also Great Hill! Same region. Need an upgrade.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Just ordered this.

Pretty pricey at £100 but they don’t make this motor anymore so I thought I’d take the plunge before this kit is eventually discontinued.

good idea or am I mad?

D31BEEFE-5B26-4635-8EB1-13FB74F1B0D1.png

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Just ordered this.

Pretty pricey at £100 but they don’t make this motor anymore so I thought I’d take the plunge before this kit is eventually discontinued.

good idea or am I mad?

View attachment 65503
At that price that sounds like a great deal. Keep an older bike going or by an older used one withput a worry. I think that motor in the later years had good seals put in, plus the bearing man could rebuild it. Be tempted to see if theyd sell a 5 pack for firther discount?

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Looks like ill keep my yari on there a bit longer so because they didnt leave a ton of steerer tube i picked up a 50mm rise spank 800 race bar in a 31.8
Also a SAR(super alloy racing) 375 coil for my cc db. I really liked the progressive "race only springs" 375-420 on it but the progressive seems to work quite well on my more linear meta am 29. Thinking its the 375 part that i liked on my decoy. More testing now that the park is open.
Both "race only springs" and "SAR" are quality products and a pleasure to deal with. Fully recommend either

20210628_175932.jpg

AdmChr

E*POWAH Master
Nov 21, 2019
SWPA
Awesome - I have these rims on my Decoy and they feel amazing. Let us know how they feel on the Assegai - I'm running e-Wilds but will use those next as they were the takeoffs when I bought the bike.
I also have a set of NOBL TR38 with ASSEGAI's front and rear on my DH bike and have zero complaints. For me and my riding style, these are the perfect setup. On my trail bike, I run the same ASSEGAI front with a DISSECTOR rear for less rolling resistance. I did try E-Wilds on my Kenevo when I first got it and just didn't get along with them, removed them after about 100 miles. Too many front washouts and no confidence on wet roots or rocks.

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
Hello, it makes no difference I find, have used both brands chains on this bike and both work well.

Yes they will both work, however the Shimano will work better. The Shimano has a specially shaped chain that interacts in a certain way with the specially shaped ramps on the cassette teeth. Using a Shimano chain will also make the casettee and chain last longer before they need replacing. If I was in your position, I would probably just keep using the Sram chain, up until the point that it needs replacing naturally, and then replace it with the Shimano 12 speed chain.

Geedog

Subscriber
Dec 5, 2020
Shillington, Bedfordshire
Yes they will both work, however the Shimano will work better. The Shimano has a specially shaped chain that interacts in a certain way with the specially shaped ramps on the cassette teeth. Using a Shimano chain will also make the casettee and chain last longer before they need replacing. If I was in your position, I would probably just keep using the Sram chain, up until the point that it needs replacing naturally, and then replace it with the Shimano 12 speed chain.
Hello,
Ok, thanks for your advice.

CoooL

Jul 4, 2021
Denmark
IMG_20210630_202725.jpg

Well I bought this beast.. (Bergamont e-Trailster Expert)
And had the derailleur changed to a GX (from SLX) Shifter to XO1
Hope Stem
BikeYoke dropper lever
BikeYoke bracket for trigger and dropper lever
Hope seat clamp (not in picture)
Kiox
Orbea 35 mm bar holder for kiox
IMG_20210701_210309.jpg

Anyone willing to buy a kidney?? ????

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Well i wasnt expecting miracles or perfection but was hopeful it would at least be functioning !! Get what you pay for situation lol.

Update: I got a full refund and got to keep the dropper too its still not functioning fully but its actually acting like a suspension post lol. i get slight suspension over heavy terrain which is cushioning the impacts to a point so decided i will keep it on for now

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles