What did you buy your ebike this week?

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
A few bits to swap my drivetrain to Shimano
PXL_20210114_133524400.jpg

Just need a right hand i-spec ev shifter now.

Oded

Jul 27, 2020
Israel

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
You switched from SRAM to Shimano?
Why? What SRAM group did you switch from?
My drivetrain is 12 speed XT and i think Shimano has stopped taking the high end market seriously. So many quality issues, especially with the shifter:
[Shimano XTR M9100 shifters keep breaking--no downshift...]
I purchased the Shimano setup just to see how it runs as I already have a microspline hub which came with my DT Swiss wheels and would like to see what the shifting is like with hyperglide+
I have a SRAM X1 derailleur with xg-1175 cassette on the bike at the moment, which will be swapped when it wears out.
I haven't been able to get a shifter yet as it seems there is no stock in the UK at the moment, but I'll probably just buy an xt one... Perhaps I should buy 2 so I still have another when I warranty the first, lol. It would cost almost the same as one Xtr shifter too.

[Edit] thank you for the link, reading through the thread now
[Edit2] there are also people in that thread with zero issues.

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Jul 29, 2020
Switzerland
Kindernay gear hub. Extremely expensive but I hope it is worth it.

IMG-20210118-191738.jpg

It's me or this speedhub is incredibly light (1.4 kg)?
Just made a quick comparaison with Shimano 12 speed SLX cassette + derailleur + hub (CS-M7100 + RD-M7100 + FH-M7110) = ~1.17 kg

So this hub is only ~200 grams heavier ??? ?

I would be nice if you can keep us updated on this thing ☺

Crazee horse

Sep 20, 2020
Uk
Shimano rt86 203 and 180 rotors super squealing sintered pads and a can of brake cleaner. Which didn't help the squealing.... ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A tyre: I didn't buy it this week, but I did find it this week, if that counts?

A brand new and unused 29x2.5" Maxxis HRII 3C WT Maxx Terra EXO TR.

i was sorting through my stack of tyres that I keep on top of an old wheelbarrow in the garage. I was looking for the brand new WTB 27.5x2.6" tyres that I had removed from my grandson's bike. I wanted to get a better idea of what the Trail Boss tyre tread looked like because I was considering the Trail Boss for a new rear tyre. I pulled out a new tyre to find it was the above Maxxis! Then I remembered having bought it in August last year for £30.99 instead of the standard £64.99 (doh!) It is memory lapses like this that is convincing me I need more sleep!

So, cancel the WTB Trail Boss!
That means I've saved money, right? (man maths)

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I bought a BTwin 700 MTB mudguard, my fourth. Two I left in the carpark and one I damaged. Brilliant bit of kit, cannot clog with mud! Adjusts to any seat post/tube diameter, suitable for any wheel size and is adjustable for any rear travel. Also easily fitted and removed within seconds. And all for £8.99 :)

Guard.jpg

I ordered it via click & collect at the local ASDA, but they lost it. Without any quibble, Decathlon sent me another straight away and I collected the replacement at ASDA. When I went to fit it the clamp strap broke (see below). I took a few pics and emailed Decathlon. In less than 24 hours I had an email apologising for the delivery cockup and for the manufacturing defect. In addition they had already posted me my second replacement to my home address this time, not back to ASDA. Decathlon customer service is excellent! :)

Guard 3.jpg

Geedog

Subscriber
Dec 5, 2020
Shillington, Bedfordshire
Hello, I got a new slx 12 speed cassette and 2 sets of spare pads, just in case they are going to be hard to get later in the year, and also ordered a new zeb specific mud hugger front mudguard, the the zeb mudguard doesn't do much imo. Shall be ordering some Wolfpack tyres next week, and that's it for January.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I bought a Proguard Bolt on Mini mudguard and fitted that yesterday. Waiting on some sticker strips to come for it this week to finish the look! ?

And but the bullet on a new pair of Five Ten Trailcross shoes yesterday which should arrive today.

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
nothing exciting all maintenance stuff, a fresh Sram NX chain, a shock pump, a chain breaker and a chain cleaning tool and fluid, winter is harsh on consumables is'nt it , oh just ordered a light so i can get a quick hour in of an evening until the clocks go forward. 7 weeks and counting i believe , new to MTB'ing so having to buy all the tools as i go along

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ref post #1637 (Sat23rd Jan'21) about the BTwin 700 MT mudguard.

The second replacement arrived today. It is now my spare, because I was able to fix the broken one by replacing the strap with one I had removed from a damaged mudguard that I had kept for spares. (Memo to wife: I told you that old mudguard would come in handy!)
All hail Decathlon! :)

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Ref post #1637 (Sat23rd Jan'21) about the BTwin 700 MT mudguard.

The second replacement arrived today. It is now my spare, because I was able to fix the broken one by replacing the strap with one I had removed from a damaged mudguard that I had kept for spares. (Memo to wife: I told you that old mudguard would come in handy!)
All hail Decathlon! :)

Does yours move around much? I've got a Topeak similar to yours mounted on the seat post, and it swivels around.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Does yours move around much? I've got a Topeak similar to yours mounted on the seat post, and it swivels around.
Nope, only if I haven't got the tension correct. The strap is easily adjustable because it has a ratchet on it. You can tighten it one click at a time if you wish. I've had all sorts of more expensive blade rear mudguards and this is the best in my opinion. If yours starts to rotate then you have probably lost the spring that keeps the pawl pressed into the ratchet. But the whole thing costs less than £9, just get another one!

If you intend buying one, here's a tip:
There is a rubber moulding inside the clamp that is designed to protect the seat post/tube. It has half a dozen or so spikes on it that lock into holes in the clamp body. Find any sort of glue and glue them in place before you use the guard. I used some of my wife's craft glue that is nominally for paper and fabric. All it needs to do is to stop the moulding falling out when you remove the guard in the car park.
Another tip:
When it comes time to remove the guard, press the lever on the ratchet mechanism instead of trying to release the up and over tension lever. It will make sense when you have one in front of you. I am sure that is how it is meant to be released, but t took me a while to work it out. (I was desperate and had cold wet hands).

Edit: Maybe why the BTwin guard doesn't move is because it has two rubber mouldings in the clamp, one front, one rear. My initial thought was that they are there to protect the seat post/tube. But I now believe that they contribute very well indeed to the grip that stops rotation.

Last edited:

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Nope, only if I haven't got the tension correct. The strap is easily adjustable because it has a ratchet on it. You can tighten it one click at a time if you wish. I've had all sorts of more expensive blade rear mudguards and this is the best in my opinion. If yours starts to rotate then you have probably lost the spring that keeps the pawl pressed into the ratchet. But the whole thing costs less than £9, just get another one!

If you intend buying one, here's a tip:
There is a rubber moulding inside the clamp that is designed to protect the seat post/tube. It has half a dozen or so spikes on it that lock into holes in the clamp body. Find any sort of glue and glue them in place before you use the guard. I used some of my wife's craft glue that is nominally for paper and fabric. All it needs to do is to stop the moulding falling out when you remove the guard in the car park.
Another tip:
When it comes time to remove the guard, press the lever on the ratchet mechanism instead of trying to release the up and over tension lever. It will make sense when you have one in front of you. I am sure that is how it is meant to be released, but t took me a while to work it out. (I was desperate and had cold wet hands).

Edit: Maybe why the BTwin guard doesn't move is because it has two rubber mouldings in the clamp, one front, one rear. My initial thought was that they are there to protect the seat post/tube. But I now believe that they contribute very well indeed to the grip that stops rotation.

OK, I’ll have a play with this one, but if it still moves will give yours a go.

Muzza

Jul 3, 2020
New Zealand
I will never understand the baby cranks trend some follow on this forum. You have a med frame so I’m clueless.
So am I, guess I'm just a sheep & following the trend?
Must say though that I took it out for a ride today & wouldn't have even known I had changed cranks, pedaling felt just the same other than in the rock gardens I had no pedal strikes what so ever? Weird...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles