What did you buy your ebike this week?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
In anticipation of removing my air can...
Boa strap wrench.jpg

Baby Boa Strap Wrench from Amazon, capacity up to 4" diameter.

I paid less than £5 through my daughter's Prime account, otherwise £5.44 + delivery.

Do not buy if you are allergic to the smell of rubber!! That strap absolutely reeks. :(

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
I was about to order one of those straps last night, decided the shock on the Levo comes off so easy I should just try it first for kicks, so I pulled it off, grabbed it one top with one hand, bottom with the other, and it came right unscrewed easy as a jar of peanut butter. Not sure if that is normal or I got lucky but pleased either way.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I was about to order one of those straps last night, decided the shock on the Levo comes off so easy I should just try it first for kicks, so I pulled it off, grabbed it one top with one hand, bottom with the other, and it came right unscrewed easy as a jar of peanut butter. Not sure if that is normal or I got lucky but pleased either way.
I unscrewed the air can by hand on a Fox Float CTD and a Rockshox Monarch. I wasn't anticipating any problems with a Rockshox Deluxe. But my mate has one and he had a hell of a job removing his air can,. I've always wanted a strap wrench so that provided the final spur.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
In anticipation of removing my air can...
View attachment 33161

Baby Boa Strap Wrench from Amazon, capacity up to 4" diameter.

I paid less than £5 through my daughter's Prime account, otherwise £5.44 + delivery.

Do not buy if you are allergic to the smell of rubber!! That strap absolutely reeks. :(
A mate of mine gave me one of those years ago. He had an extra one. One of the most useful tools I’ve ever had! Even my wife borrows it on occasion for the kitchen. The one I’ve got is yellow and doesn’t smell. And yes, I did use it to undo my Fox Float shock can because it was on TIGHT!

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
It's a chain tensioner for a bike with an internally geared rear hub (Shimano Alfine specifically) but there are lots of chain tensioners out there, I picked up this one because it was $25 and available. You may hear people talk about shortening their chain if they break a rear derailleur and just running it as a single speed, which works great on some bikes, but I have a Specialized Levo and their rear suspension has a ton of chain growth as it moves through the travel so I don't think that is a super practical way to go, but as soon as I say that watch someone else do it no probem. So I picked up this chain tensioner so I could ride in a single gear for the next couple of weeks until the new rear wheel and derailleur I ordered arrive, but as I looked at it I thought, might not be a bad spare to just keep with me as I am a bit hard on bike parts. If you wanted to buy something specifically to keep as a spare though you could find smaller lighter units, maybe a single pulley unit like a Surly Singulator or one of it's competitors. They are sold for bikes with a single cog in the rear, so you can find them either for single speed conversions, or rear hub conversions like the Alfine and the Rohloff units.

You align them by shimming them from the ones I have seen. This one came with two 2mm washers and a 1m washer so you can mix and match from 1-5mm of offset.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
It's a chain tensioner for a bike with an internally geared rear hub (Shimano Alfine specifically) but there are lots of chain tensioners out there, I picked up this one because it was $25 and available. You may hear people talk about shortening their chain if they break a rear derailleur and just running it as a single speed, which works great on some bikes, but I have a Specialized Levo and their rear suspension has a ton of chain growth as it moves through the travel so I don't think that is a super practical way to go, but as soon as I say that watch someone else do it no probem. So I picked up this chain tensioner so I could ride in a single gear for the next couple of weeks until the new rear wheel and derailleur I ordered arrive, but as I looked at it I thought, might not be a bad spare to just keep with me as I am a bit hard on bike parts. If you wanted to buy something specifically to keep as a spare though you could find smaller lighter units, maybe a single pulley unit like a Surly Singulator or one of it's competitors. They are sold for bikes with a single cog in the rear, so you can find them either for single speed conversions, or rear hub conversions like the Alfine and the Rohloff units.

You align them by shimming them from the ones I have seen. This one came with two 2mm washers and a 1m washer so you can mix and match from 1-5mm of offset.
Good idea, I'm sure most full suspension bikes would just bust the chain as it compressed the suspension if you tried to run it single speed without one of these, great in an emergency to get you back home!

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Sram XX1 12 speed chain in gold, super smooth and super quiet gear changes until my little accident:mad:

Sean.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
Quite a bit.
2nd hand Guide RS brakes, a bleeding kit, matchmaker clamp inserts, sealant, valves, valve tool, shock pump aaaaand
a cousin. A Cube Access Hybrid EX500 for my wife, and a dropper for that.
Crikey.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles