Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

xcel

Apr 6, 2024
Germany
Hey @Emailsucks98, are you still running your TTX1 Air? What's your experience with it until now? With all the restructuring at Ohlins going on I was able to grab a 205x65 ttx1 air for a pretty good price. Chose it over the ttx2 due to a few reviews and what you wrote in #2,937. Planning to run it with 65mm travel tho on a size M frame. Being almost similar weight at ~200lbs, would you still run middle/large spacers?
cheers

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Hey @Emailsucks98, are you still running your TTX1 Air? What's your experience with it until now? With all the restructuring at Ohlins going on I was able to grab a 205x65 ttx1 air for a pretty good price. Chose it over the ttx2 due to a few reviews and what you wrote in #2,937. Planning to run it with 65mm travel tho on a size M frame. Being almost similar weight at ~200lbs, would you still run middle/large spacers?
cheers
I am running the Ohlins ttx1 but on a REEB Steezl now. It's been a great shock.

On the Fuel EXe I'm running an 65mm stroke Marzocchi Bomber CR that's been modified by Avalanche. They revalved, shortened the reservoir & added quite a large BO bumper. I learned quite a bit about the EXe working with Avalanche. The EXe's progression is only 16.5% with an average leverage ratio of 2.33. Since the frame is very linear, it can benefit from both heavier compression damping and a progressive spring- i.e. the ttx1 or the ttx2 maxed with spacers. Avalanche's opinion was that these frames are too linear for most coil shocks, mine has the thickest BO bumper he makes.

My experience with the Ohlins was that towards end of season, I noticed bottoming out more frequently, which I addressed by adding spacers. I sent the shock in for service at 9 months of riding and was told the shock was way overdue for a full rebuild. The entire resevoir assembly was replaced at no extra cost. That was great customer service, but also reminded me that on eBikes it's really easy to blow past the service intervals. Thus I now have two shocks of the same length I can swap between bikes.

I'm impressed with the Ohlins everytime I ride it. For the ttx1 on the Trek I would start with the next step-up from smallest volume spacer added. I recall that had me running about my body weight in lbs to get 30% sag. On the steezl I run no spacers.
DSCF4455.jpg

xcel

Apr 6, 2024
Germany
I am running the Ohlins ttx1 but on a REEB Steezl now. It's been a great shock.

On the Fuel EXe I'm running an 65mm stroke Marzocchi Bomber CR that's been modified by Avalanche. They revalved, shortened the reservoir & added quite a large BO bumper. I learned quite a bit about the EXe working with Avalanche. The EXe's progression is only 16.5% with an average leverage ratio of 2.33. Since the frame is very linear, it can benefit from both heavier compression damping and a progressive spring- i.e. the ttx1 or the ttx2 maxed with spacers. Avalanche's opinion was that these frames are too linear for most coil shocks, mine has the thickest BO bumper he makes.

My experience with the Ohlins was that towards end of season, I noticed bottoming out more frequently, which I addressed by adding spacers. I sent the shock in for service at 9 months of riding and was told the shock was way overdue for a full rebuild. The entire resevoir assembly was replaced at no extra cost. That was great customer service, but also reminded me that on eBikes it's really easy to blow past the service intervals. Thus I now have two shocks of the same length I can swap between bikes.

I'm impressed with the Ohlins everytime I ride it. For the ttx1 on the Trek I would start with the next step-up from smallest volume spacer added. I recall that had me running about my body weight in lbs to get 30% sag. On the steezl I run no spacers.
Thanks a lot! Yea I figured I'll end up with two rear shocks. My rs deluxe select+ started to have a high pitched whistle/squeel, doesn't really change the performance but it's pretty annoying. I guess I'll send that one for a service and tune and can try the ttx1 in the mean time :).

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
First ride out today. Very enjoyable. Like the way the bike still makes you work for it up the steep hills!

Forgot to set up my app so only went off strave. 9 miles with plenty of steep climbs. Mix of all modes and 53% left.

Things need to address. Front too firm. Think they might have set it up with too much pressure or not enough rebound.

Motor was pretty quiet. Little bit of a whistle when at max pelt but hardly anything. Probably normal behaviour?

The tyres were a little skittish is the mud and roots. Well very actually. Made me take things slower. They need to be changed pretty quickly!

Overall I am very happy. Rides really nice without power too.

View attachment IMG_0393.jpeg

slomtbr

Subscriber
May 14, 2021
US
First ride out today. Very enjoyable. Like the way the bike still makes you work for it up the steep hills!

Forgot to set up my app so only went off strave. 9 miles with plenty of steep climbs. Mix of all modes and 53% left.

Things need to address. Front too firm. Think they might have set it up with too much pressure or not enough rebound.

Motor was pretty quiet. Little bit of a whistle when at max pelt but hardly anything. Probably normal behaviour?

The tyres were a little skittish is the mud and roots. Well very actually. Made me take things slower. They need to be changed pretty quickly!

Overall I am very happy. Rides really nice without power too.

View attachment 146476
XR5s (and XR4s) come alive at lower pressure. I'm 72kg on the bike and I run 1 bar F/1.2 bar R - very rocky trails

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Took my fuel exe to morzine/portes du soleil at the weekend, you're not allowed to take the main battery on aeroplanes, so I left that at home and just took the range extender battery.

The bike did pretty good on all the bike park trails, despite not really being the sort of bike you might use at a bike park. Ideally I'd take a bike with more travel, but the EXe was perfectly decent.

the trails were mostly accessed by chairlift so didn't really need any motor assistance most of the time , but we went over to chatel one day, and as it's the off season for them now ,the chairlift linking morzine and chatel was not running, so we had to climb 500m on our own. The range extender managed this fine, had 6% left after this climb.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
I’m not sure how large the swivel foot on your CWP7 tool is, but it may just be going into the spindle hole. The Park Tool CCP4 has a large enough swivel foot to engage on the spindle allowing the tool to pull the cranks off. Recommend torque is high at 40-45 Nm so it could just require more effort If the tool is hitting a stop as expected.

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
Trying out some more tyres from Wolfpack. Had a Speed and Cross on the old Fuel EX during the brief try UK season which I really liked so giving these Enduro ones a go in 2.4 flavour front and rear this weekend.

Mounted pretty nice and no sign of leaks so far!

View attachment IMG_0402.jpeg

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
How are people getting on with their kryptotal tyres? What casings are you running? Was thinking of trying the Enduro softs?
Yep, they're good, I use a kryptotal enduro soft on the back, and argotal downhill supersoft on the front

Last edited:

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
Yep, they're good, I use a kryptotal enduro soft on the back, and argotal downhill supersoft on the front

I’m not a very aggressive rider and stick to the more faster flowing less technical types of trails so not sure whether to do enduro front and back or go trail for the back.

Piccirilli

Jan 17, 2023
Asheville, NC
What tyres are you running on your EXE? Mine arrives Tuesday and reviews on the XR5 seemed a very mixed bag.

Will give them a try first but will look at options. Mainly hardpack with roots and the mud that then comes in the UK!

Would like something not to draggy but nice grip for flowing trails. I am neither an aggressive or super brave rider so doesn’t have to be the super grip of all tyres!!
Continental Kryptotal Enduro are the best tires I've ridden on.. if you can find them.

Piccirilli

Jan 17, 2023
Asheville, NC
How are people getting on with their kryptotal tyres? What casings are you running? Was thinking of trying the Enduro softs?
I had a bitch of a time mounting Kryptotals Enduro casing (not the Trail) which has thicker sidewalls. This goes for both composite and aluminum Bontrager rims. But it's worth it. IMHO best tires ever, which I have on all my bikes! However, as you might have experienced, it's nearly impossible to mount these using standard tire levers or any of those plastic tire installler gizmos. None of them worked for me unless you have 2 people installing which I didn't. I ended up using a wood hand screw clamp (8-10" is ideal) to hold one side of the tire bead in place thereby freeing up both hands. If your mounting on composite rims, be careful not to over tighten the wood clamp. Then use extra large metal tire levers to slowly work the tire bead over the rim. You may want to install some duct tape on the levers to prevent scratching up the rims, because it takes quit a bit of force to roll the bead over. To seat the tires for tubeless set up, you'll either need a large volume compressor or use a CO2 cartridge.

Last edited:

Fd3chris

Oct 22, 2023
United Kingdom
Hi guys I'm getting an annoying squeaky creak from my crank area but only when really putting pressure through the pedals like a steep uphill. The bike has done 50 miles but has been sitting for a few months . Any ideas where to start finding the cause ? Thanks

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
Hi guys I'm getting an annoying squeaky creak from my crank area but only when really putting pressure through the pedals like a steep uphill. The bike has done 50 miles but has been sitting for a few months . Any ideas where to start finding the cause ? Thanks

Same today. Only on steep uphills.

Thought it was the cranks but when I got to the top of the hill I managed to make it creak without pedalling. I think it’s going to be the seat post, saddle or pivot bolts. It sounds like the cranks but now I believe it is not!

Will upload vids and see if yours is the same noise.

This is mine peddling up hill and sounds very much like cranks

However, when I was at the top I tried putting pressure on cranks but no creak but then I managed to make it creak by bouncing up and down

Last edited:

Fd3chris

Oct 22, 2023
United Kingdom
Same today. Only on steep uphills.

Thought it was the cranks but when I got to the top of the hill I managed to make it creak without pedalling. I think it’s going to be the seat post, saddle or pivot bolts. It sounds like the cranks but now I believe it is not!

Will upload vids and see if yours is the same noise.

This is mine peddling up hill and sounds very much like cranks

However, when I was at the top I tried putting pressure on cranks but no creak but then I managed to make it creak by bouncing up and down

Thanks for that I think mine is very similar type of noise but mine will not creak unless I pedal very hard. I will get it out again tomorrow and thoroughly go through it to see if I can make it creak like yours.

JayX2A

Aug 11, 2024
England
Thanks for that I think mine is very similar type of noise but mine will not creak unless I pedal very hard. I will get it out again tomorrow and thoroughly go through it to see if I can make it creak like yours.

I really had to bump it hard up and down to make it creak. Would have literally seen to any passers by that I was humping the bike lol

Inde_Si

May 3, 2023
France
Hey everyone !

I'm in the market for a new E-Bike. The Fuel EX caught my attention but I've a few question :

- Is there a big difference in terms of feeling and weight between carbon and aluminium frame ?
- Does a RockShox Vivid Ultimate clear the frame ?
- Does it ride well with a coil shock ?
- What kind of range do you manage to get with the standard 360Wh batterie ?
- I've seen some people overstroking their Fuel EXe, is it a good idea for a bit of enduro riding ? (maybe one or two race a year)
- Is there any flaws/recurrent problems that I should be aware of ?

Thanks guys !

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles