Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
Thanks! When did you take delivery?

Our bikes down south was delivered in late July, early August and I measured 6 bikes in the shop and in the hands of owners with 330mm BB in low (29r, 150mm), which is way below the marketed spec of 342mm in LOW.

We do however have @Emailsucks98 with a 338mm BB height in Mullet which is bang-on in-spec (he should have 349mm in 29r). I also found another guy on youtube in the UK (Forest Mountian biker) with 338mm BB in Mullet and 349mm in 29r HIGH, and he took delivery in late Sept. So there are bikes doing the rounds that is in-spec.

So this is leading me to believe that the first few production runs have out of spec rear triangles or seatstays that leads to a 12mm lower than spec BB height. The difference in BB height is consistently 12mm.

It is unconfirmed, but it seems that Trek realised the issue and fixed it subsequently by changing the mould in the meantime. I am not happy that they didn't do a recall and fixed the earlier batches. Did they just hope that people wont find out? We have these low bikes doing the rounds in the hands of owners.

I am trying to go the warranty route, but I am still waiting for a response. Not cool, as a too low BB on an ebike can have catastrophic consequences. As another guy on the Facebook group found out the hard way, with a motor knocked out of the frame by a rock strike to the chainring, cracking the frame. Not sure what his BB height was before the incident, but Trek apparently came good and gave him a new frame, so Trek might know this is a potential issue? A pedal strike at a wrong angle can also do considerable damage to the motor, or lead to a serious crash. (Remember the Richie Rude crash hitting a pedal on a concealed tree-trunk!?

Please chime in, we need more data points! :oops:

I took delivery early September, but the bike came from another shop in the chain and it was there for at least a week or two.

Staff member
Subscriber
Jul 15, 2020
FORUM
To make it easier for people to find and update, I've moved all the 4414 posts into a separate thread which is a sticky for now in the Trek section :

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
I am struggling to figure out how to download a map on the app. I have WiFi and its selected in the app. I then hit the download arrow down and it turns into a square with a small blue dot above it. Then nothing happens. Am I missing some magic setting somewhere?

Thanks

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Thanks! When did you take delivery?

Our bikes down south was delivered in late July, early August and I measured 6 bikes in the shop and in the hands of owners with 330mm BB in low (29r, 150mm), which is way below the marketed spec of 342mm in LOW.

We do however have @Emailsucks98 with a 338mm BB height in Mullet which is bang-on in-spec (he should have 349mm in 29r). I also found another guy on youtube in the UK (Forest Mountian biker) with 338mm BB in Mullet and 349mm in 29r HIGH, and he took delivery in late Sept. So there are bikes doing the rounds that is in-spec.

So this is leading me to believe that the first few production runs have out of spec rear triangles or seatstays that leads to a 12mm lower than spec BB height. The difference in BB height is consistently 12mm.

It is unconfirmed, but it seems that Trek realised the issue and fixed it subsequently by changing the mould in the meantime. I am not happy that they didn't do a recall and fixed the earlier batches. Did they just hope that people wont find out? We have these low bikes doing the rounds in the hands of owners.

I am trying to go the warranty route, but I am still waiting for a response. Not cool, as a too low BB on an ebike can have catastrophic consequences. As another guy on the Facebook group found out the hard way, with a motor knocked out of the frame by a rock strike to the chainring, cracking the frame. Not sure what his BB height was before the incident, but Trek apparently came good and gave him a new frame, so Trek might know this is a potential issue? A pedal strike at a wrong angle can also do considerable damage to the motor, or lead to a serious crash. (Remember the Richie Rude crash hitting a pedal on a concealed tree-trunk!?

Please chime in, we need more data points! :oops:🙏
Probably far easier and more accurate to measure the seat stay and chain stay center to center from the rear axle to each pivot. Then you would know if your theory is correct.

Mine
Chain stay 18.125" (460mm)
Seat stay 18.625" (473mm)

Flow81

Oct 27, 2022
Cape Town
Probably far easier and more accurate to measure the seat stay and chain stay center to center from the rear axle to each pivot. Then you would know if your theory is correct.

Mine
Good idea. But these numbers aren’t published on a geo-chart, so I can only hold Trek accountable to BB height.
Given your numbers, what BB height does it equate to?

Last edited:

KevinNY

Nov 1, 2022
NYC
Hi All, I just got an EXe 9.9 the other day and new member to this forum.

Any idea if the Trek Central App is supposed to link up with the front/rear shock AirWiz and the front/rear TyreWiz? The quick intro on the app even shows screenshots of it.

All 4 link up fine to the SRAM AXS App but the Trek Central App doesn't offer the option to link to those devices.

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
Hi All, I just got an EXe 9.9 the other day and new member to this forum.

Any idea if the Trek Central App is supposed to link up with the front/rear shock AirWiz and the front/rear TyreWiz? The quick intro on the app even shows screenshots of it.

All 4 link up fine to the SRAM AXS App but the Trek Central App doesn't offer the option to link to those devices.
I saw in some of the reviews that it does. It should update the numbers in the app Where the app shows the recommended settings based on weight On a bike without the wizards ;).
I have also seen one review where it didn’t work however.

TorAtle

Aug 4, 2018
OSLO
Was told yesterday that my bike was moved from november delivery to may! Supply issues still ongoing for sure. Bad news turned to good as they had an unspoken for blue 9.5 which I took home. Man is this one quiet bike!! Expectations were high after reading all the reviews and forum posts, but it is even quieter than I hoped it would be.

Jilleride45

Nov 2, 2018
USA

Mine

Are these numbers measured with link in LOW position?

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
The beauty of those numbers is that it doesn't matter. Flow81 is trying to find out if Trek changed the mold on either the seat stay or chain stay mid production run. I thought I would provide a baseline for others to check.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I recently broke the display that is on the top tube of my EXe. The display was set to imperial measurements (inch/feet). The bike shop just installed a new display. The new display works, but the display is in metric. Does anyone know how to change the display to imperial? I checked my Trek app. The app shows everything in imperial measurements and it is connected to the bike. The app doesn’t seem to have the ability to change the top tube display settings. Hoping someone has an answer for this.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
I recently broke the display that is on the top tube of my EXe. The display was set to imperial measurements (inch/feet). The bike shop just installed a new display. The new display works, but the display is in metric. Does anyone know how to change the display to imperial? I checked my Trek app. The app shows everything in imperial measurements and it is connected to the bike. The app doesn’t seem to have the ability to change the top tube display settings. Hoping someone has an answer for this.
Hold the display power button and the down button on the remote for 5 seconds. Will put you into set up mode

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
The beauty of those numbers is that it doesn't matter. . . .
Yes and No. The chain stay length pivot-to-pivot is fixed, about 463-464mm on our 9.7 bikes.
The Mino link is fixed in the yoke but slides in the seat stays and moves the pivot about 5mm.
The apx. lengths I measure for the seatstays are 475mm (Low) and 480mm (High).

Last edited:

Flow81

Oct 27, 2022
Cape Town
Yes and No. The chain stay length pivot-to-pivot is fixed, about 463-464mm on our 9.7 bikes.
The Mino link is fixed in the yoke but slides in the seat stays and moves the pivot about 5mm.
The apx. lengths I measure for the seatstays are 475mm (Low) and 480mm (High).
Yes, definitely, the logic is sound. What is your BB height with those numbers?

Crrichmo

Feb 22, 2021
San Diego, CA
Just got my 9.7 in Matte PennyFlake over the weekend. Had to drive a little over an hour to pick it up (central San Diego to South Orange County with some traffic).

Just one ride so far, but completely blown away--mainly because it feels so natural with the light weight and power delivery.

This bike now sits next to my Santa Cruz Heckler 9 MX and Stumpy Evo. Unfortunately I can see my Evo getting a lot less ride time now.

Here are some pre-ride pics.

(Edit: the Trek bike shop could have done a better job setting it up, though. Among other things, the cockpit cable/hoses are a bit too long and need to be trimmed)
20221031_204254.jpg 20221031_201447.jpg

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Didn't stay stock for long. Fenders in San Diego huh?

My main dealer problem was the set up of the seat post. No ferrule on the housing and no barrel on the end of the cable (square peg in a round hole) ordered a Fox Transfer barrel for the cable and Wolf Tooth Remote lever. Should improve the feel.

PXL_20221030_143007166[1].jpg PXL_20221030_145253682[1].jpg

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Yes, definitely, the logic is sound. What is your BB height with those numbers?
We tinker a lot with wheels, tires and the Mino link depending on terrain, so the BB height varies from the low 330s to the mid 340s.

Current measurements (+/-1 mm or so) of our 9.7 EXes with 2.6" Rekon tires -
size Large, Low Mino link setting: 335mm
size Small, High Mino link setting: 341mm

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal

My main dealer problem was the set up of the seat post. No ferrule on the housing and no barrel on the end of the cable (square peg in a round hole) ordered a Fox Transfer barrel for the cable and Wolf Tooth Remote lever. Should improve the feel. . .
UGH, that's nasty and unforgivable! Just waiting to fail. Was that done at the factory or the shop?

BTW, highly recommend the OneUp remote lever -
1 up.jpg

Last edited:

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Not sure what the assembly sequence is and whether the factory or the dealer did the deed. I take everything apart anyway when I get home so that I know what I have. Trans X says it could have a barrel or not which is odd. For almost 8k I expected better.

I consider dropper function to be a serious safety issue. When they hesitate to drop you can really join the OTBSC (over the bar scar club) Highly advise other owners to check that connection at the trigger on the bottom of the post.

Looks like there are some excellent dropper remote choices out there.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
The OEM post on my 9.7 works fine, but you definitely need the barrel insert for smooth operation.

post.jpg

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
The OEM post on my 9.7 works fine, but you definitely need the barrel insert for smooth operation.

View attachment 100642
@levity @Swingset
I've been wondering what the max insertion is on these frames, and if I could get a longer (190-210mm) drop to work. The stock 170 is enough, but I don't love the feel of the post, seems over-damped (too slow going up & down, lever too firm). I did notice it's very sensitive to cable tension.

Crrichmo

Feb 22, 2021
San Diego, CA

My main dealer problem was the set up of the seat post. No ferrule on the housing and no barrel on the end of the cable (square peg in a round hole) ordered a Fox Transfer barrel for the cable and Wolf Tooth Remote lever. Should improve the feel.

View attachment 100636 View attachment 100637
Yeah, never planned to keep it stock. Mostly take offs from my other frame. Lyrik, DD tires, We are One wheels (with XD driver), SRAM XO1. I would have gone with a matte black 9.5 if there was nearby. But what are you gonna do?

Hell yes fenders! haha. They weigh nothing and keep the backside clean at all times. We get some rain here occasionally this time of the year (like right now in fact), and things can get messy because of the clay soils. I would say rear is definitely optional, but the front is critical year round for the pebbles kicking up from all the loose over hard terrain--especially with a MaxGrip front tire.

Free_Tibet

Aug 30, 2022
Australia
Just got my 9.7 in Matte PennyFlake over the weekend. Had to drive a little over an hour to pick it up (central San Diego to South Orange County with some traffic).

Just one ride so far, but completely blown away--mainly because it feels so natural with the light weight and power delivery.

This bike now sits next to my Santa Cruz Heckler 9 MX and Stumpy Evo. Unfortunately I can see my Evo getting a lot less ride time now.

(Edit: the Trek bike shop could have done a better job setting it up, though. Among other things, the cockpit cable/hoses are a bit too long and need to be trimmed)
View attachment 100634 View attachment 100635
I love that Pennyflake colour! Unfortunately it is not available as a colour option in Australia so far.

I have a Small frame and the hose lengths are waaaay too long on mine. It looks very untidy, but more significantly the front brake cable is so excessively long that it loops outwards from the bike that it risks catching on a tree branch or bush when things get really tight on the track. Also the electrical cable length for the TQ remote switch is so excessive it rattles in the frame and I have to keep (carefully) pulling the excess out of the frame. I spoke to my Trek shop (who are really great to deal with) and they are going to shorten / tidy up all the cable lengths next week.

My dropper post lever has also been really stiff and the cable tensioner very sensitive too 😖.

I am loving the bike... have had it for 5 weeks now. It is perfect for me and my riding needs.

Crrichmo

Feb 22, 2021
San Diego, CA
I love that Pennyflake colour! Unfortunately it is not available as a colour option in Australia so far.

I have a Small frame and the hose lengths are waaaay too long on mine. It looks very untidy, but more significantly the front brake cable is so excessively long that it loops outwards from the bike that it risks catching on a tree branch or bush when things get really tight on the track. Also the electrical cable length for the TQ remote switch is so excessive it rattles in the frame and I have to keep (carefully) pulling the excess out of the frame. I spoke to my Trek shop (who are really great to deal with) and they are going to shorten / tidy up all the cable lengths next week.

My dropper post lever has also been really stiff and the cable tensioner very sensitive too 😖.

I am loving the bike... have had it for 5 weeks now. It is perfect for me and my riding needs.
Thanks, the color is growing on me!

Good to know about the dealer assisting with the tidying up of the cockpit. I am so used to doing my own maintenance and part replacements that I didn't even think to ask my Trek dealer if they would do it for me. I also have the same issue with the excessively long TQ remote switch cable, but didn't want to snip that myself.

As for the dropper lever, I changed mine to a bike yoke triggy lever I had on my other bike. It actually works really well. I bet if you switch your current lever for something like a wolftooth light action, it will feel much better. Assuming you are ok with the amount of drop it currently has.

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States

View attachment 100634 View attachment 100635
I had the same issue with the long dropper cable. They shortened it when I had the bike in the shop. I have a blue 9.8XT and the paint seems very hard. Had 2 chips down to the carbon frame after just 2 rides. (Before I put the helicopter tape on the chain and seat stays). Maybe something you want to do before the next Ride 😃

Free_Tibet

Aug 30, 2022
Australia
Please check your BB heights, and share!

It seems we have an "out-of-spec" batch of frames doing the rounds, maybe early production runs, with Trek subsequently changing a seatstay mould? I believe all the sizes have the same rear triangles.

The quoted Trek Fuel Exe geo-chart shows a BB height of 342mm in LOW, or 349mm in HIGH. My bike, and 6 different stock bikes on the shop floor that I measured (in all different frame sizes) have a BB height of ± 330mm in LOW (150mm, 29 FR &RR) or 337mm in HIGH. Thats is 12mm below the GEO chart of 342mm LOW, 349mm HIGH.

The shocks are all 205mm eye-to-eye and the chainstays are ±438mm, so it leaves me to believe we have a batch of seatstays (connected to the flipchip) is out-of spec (too short), which drops the BB a lot (12mm in this case).

So really curious to see what is doing the rounds in other parts of the world? Please share!

The bikes were held-up by the saddle on a bike stand, with rear wheels barely touching, so no sagging ;)
331mm. SMALL frame, on Low, 29 x 2.4 tyres. Fork and shocks as per standard 9.7.

TOLM

Mar 20, 2022
Vsmcouver. BC
I think BB height will also be affected by which fork is specced .. Fox forks normally have up to 10mm more in axle to crown than comparable rs ones. Like fox 36 to lyric. 10mm upfront is like 4mm difference in BB height

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles